Nikki Sixx: Pearl Jam is "one of the most boring bands in history"

Comments

• vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 892
    Motley Crew suck monkey balls. Worst lead singer in rock history, cheesy theatrics, and nobody would care about them except for the hot girls in their videos. I have spoken. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    edited February 2022
    Doing theatrics isn't the same as "needing theatrics". I've never heard anyone put down Tommy Lees drum abilities? And he seems entertaining (if his thing is what you dig) on stage also without the gimmicks. 
    Amazing. My entire post had nothing to do with disparaging Tommy Lee (I said the rollercoaster was “wild”).  When I see an amazing drummer on stage, I can’t stop watching. With Tool and Rush, it’s the entire show. With PJ and Primus, certain songs draw
    me to the drummer.

Anyways… Tommy Lee is far from the biggest problem of that band live, it was only an example. You can send in your hurt feelings report wherever you want 😂
    Why should I respond to the rest of your entire post that has nothing to do with disparaging Tommy Lee, when everything you said was sound.
    Most of my post was disparaging Vince Neil. Tommy Lee was shrapnel.  The show was lame full of boring planned theatrics. The rollercoaster was wild (cool, interesting) but wasn’t as entertaining to me as more talented drummers who don’t require theatrics to entertain me. 

I’ve never heard anyone compare Tommy Lee to those guys so if anything I was putting him in some rarified air. Perhaps your admiration for Tommy Lee goes beyond his drumming abilities because you came in to his defence pretty quickly 😂.

Dave Lombardo is another drummer who is amazing to watch.. mad skills, no gimmicks. 
    My admiration for Tommy Lee comes from their producer saying he was always positive and easy going. 

I have never care for or listened to Mötley Crüe. 

But I have some form of sympathy for Vince Neil. I would not care how bad he sings at a show. As long ss he has fun. That would be my least problem at at Crüe-show. 
    You didn’t pay $500+ for four people to see it, this is where my sympathy ends. His performance was unprofessional.  The fact is the boys did enjoy it… so maybe you could say it was worth it. Personally? I felt ripped off.  Tommy Lee is part of the band and took my money with the rest of them. 

Value in a performance can only be measured by the person who paid for the show.

Pearl Jam has always been worth every penny. In many cases… it has been priceless. 

I did not pay that, no. I imagine for some people, it was priceless though. 

Seeing fat Vince Neil struggle to get up the stairs to the stage and wheeze for air on the simplest notes and grind his fat gut against a backup dancer. Poor decrepit Mick Mars stand there and not move for an entire show. Tommy and his rollercoaster (honestly the best part of the show) and Nikki Sixx and whatever he does, none of it memorable.  People who enjoyed it can enjoy it.  Priceless. 
    Ironically similar to how my brother and his friend described Pearl Jam after the Stockholm show in 2014. 

- The guitarist on their side barely moving on stage. 
    - Eddie struggling with the singing. Drastically more out of breath and rough than in 2007 my brother thought.
    - Matt Camerons rollercoaster drum set was a highlight

But People who enjoy it can enjoy it. Like I did. And I told him that it was priceless because they played U, which should be a staple

https://youtu.be/VQMfUVU2dJU

Also, what does bassplayer Jeff Ament do that is more memorable than bassplayer Nikki Sixx? Wear a hat? Or sing Sweet Lew?

But yes, moving on to the important part of your post --  Alice Cooper was very animated and "alive" when I saw him a few years back. Had a fun time. His band though was as cringey as Mötley Crüe. Would prefer if Alice wen't more with a Ghost-approach to his backing band, than "generic rock band". But if you made a song for Friday the 13th part 6: Jason Lives and played Freddy Krueger's dad, you have a pass to do as you wish forever.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,524
    Doing theatrics isn't the same as "needing theatrics". I've never heard anyone put down Tommy Lees drum abilities? And he seems entertaining (if his thing is what you dig) on stage also without the gimmicks. 
    Amazing. My entire post had nothing to do with disparaging Tommy Lee (I said the rollercoaster was “wild”).  When I see an amazing drummer on stage, I can’t stop watching. With Tool and Rush, it’s the entire show. With PJ and Primus, certain songs draw
    me to the drummer.

Anyways… Tommy Lee is far from the biggest problem of that band live, it was only an example. You can send in your hurt feelings report wherever you want 😂
    Why should I respond to the rest of your entire post that has nothing to do with disparaging Tommy Lee, when everything you said was sound.
    Most of my post was disparaging Vince Neil. Tommy Lee was shrapnel.  The show was lame full of boring planned theatrics. The rollercoaster was wild (cool, interesting) but wasn’t as entertaining to me as more talented drummers who don’t require theatrics to entertain me. 

I’ve never heard anyone compare Tommy Lee to those guys so if anything I was putting him in some rarified air. Perhaps your admiration for Tommy Lee goes beyond his drumming abilities because you came in to his defence pretty quickly 😂.

Dave Lombardo is another drummer who is amazing to watch.. mad skills, no gimmicks. 
    My admiration for Tommy Lee comes from their producer saying he was always positive and easy going. 

But I have some form of sympathy for Vince Neil. I would not care how bad he sings at a show. As long ss he has fun. That would be my least problem at at Crüe-show. 
    You didn’t pay $500+ for four people to see it, this is where my sympathy ends. His performance was unprofessional.  The fact is the boys did enjoy it… so maybe you could say it was worth it. Personally? I felt ripped off.  Tommy Lee is part of the band and took my money with the rest of them. 

Value in a performance can only be measured by the person who paid for the show.

Pearl Jam has always been worth every penny. In many cases… it has been priceless. 

Seeing fat Vince Neil struggle to get up the stairs to the stage and wheeze for air on the simplest notes and grind his fat gut against a backup dancer. Poor decrepit Mick Mars stand there and not move for an entire show. Tommy and his rollercoaster (honestly the best part of the show) and Nikki Sixx and whatever he does, none of it memorable.  People who enjoyed it can enjoy it.  Priceless. 
    Ironically similar to how my brother and his friend described Pearl Jam after the Stockholm show in 2014. 

- Eddie struggling with the singing. Drastically more out of breath and rough than in 2007 my brother thought.

But People who enjoy it can enjoy it. Like I did. And I told him that it was priceless because they played U, which should be a staple

Also, what does bassplayer Jeff Ament do that is more memorable than bassplayer Nikki Sixx? Wear a hat? Or sing Sweet Lew?

But yes, moving on to the important part of your post --  Alice Cooper was very animated and "alive" when I saw him a few years back. Had a fun time. His band though was as cringey as Mötley Crüe. Would prefer if Alice wen't more with a Ghost-approach to his backing band, than "generic rock band". But if you made a song for Friday the 13th part 6: Jason Lives and played Freddy Krueger's dad, you have a pass to do as you wish forever.
    look at the pearl jam home page for your answer on jeff. 

DON'T. EVER. SPEAK. ILL. OF. THE. AMENT. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

edited February 2022
    me to the drummer.

look at the pearl jam home page for your answer on jeff. 

DON'T. EVER. SPEAK. ILL. OF. THE. AMENT. 
    I'm putting things into context.

I would never speak. ill. of. the. ament. He's my main in Pearl Jam Rockband.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    There is no argument to be made here. Clearly Motley Crue is the less boring of the 2 bands.

Let's start with the vocals. I just watched a YouTube video entitled "Vince Neil is the greatest vocalist of all time". Case closed. His stage presence is something to be envied also. No daddy dancing with him! He does these incredibly well performed jumping jack/hand claps.

Clearly Stoney G's duck walks, facial expressions, background vocals, lead vocals, song writing, and guitar versatility are no match for the always electrifying stage presence of Mick Mars. Regardless of physical ailment, Mick has always been a breathtaking fireball... even in the 80's.

Nikki Sixx versus Jeff Ament? Please! Nikki Sixx is the most underrated bassist ever - just ask him. So what if Jeff isn't buried in the mix on every album. His songwriting, vocals, guitar playing, and BASS GUITAR playing just don't stack up to Sixx's costumes and makeup. Even late 80's Jeff loses the Aquanet challenge to Nikki's superior spray job.

While technically a less proficient drummer than Matt, Tommy Lee takes the prize for most technically proficient drum kits... which ratchet up the excitement... especially since the technology usually works. But even if his upsidedown drums get stuck, there is excitement waiting for the roadies to rescue him out of the apparatus.

3days said:
    There is no argument to be made here. Clearly Motley Crue is the less boring of the 2 bands.

Let's start with the vocals. I just watched a YouTube video entitled "Vince Neil is the greatest vocalist of all time". Case closed. His stage presence is something to be envied also. No daddy dancing with him! He does these incredibly well performed jumping jack/hand claps.

Clearly Stoney G's duck walks, facial expressions, background vocals, lead vocals, song writing, and guitar versatility are no match for the always electrifying stage presence of Mick Mars. Regardless of physical ailment, Mick has always been a breathtaking fireball... even in the 80's.

Nikki Sixx versus Jeff Ament? Please! Nikki Sixx is the most underrated bassist ever - just ask him. So what if Jeff isn't buried in the mix on every album. His songwriting, vocals, guitar playing, and BASS GUITAR playing just don't stack up to Sixx's costumes and makeup. Even late 80's Jeff loses the Aquanet challenge to Nikki's superior spray job.

While technically a less proficient drummer than Matt, Tommy Lee takes the prize for most technically proficient drum kits... which ratchet up the excitement... especially since the technology usually works. But even if his upsidedown drums get stuck, there is excitement waiting for the roadies to rescue him out of the apparatus.

hahaha, gold! 

www.headstonesband.com

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,629
    Do Motley Crue fans concede that they are a sleazy band and thats the reason Ed dislikes them? He says he dind't care much for hair metal, but he specifically calls out the Girls x3 and stuff like that they represented.

• Saw this over Twitter, finally checking in to read the forum’s take. Happy to see there have been responses that I can relate to and not just fanbois jumping to Ed’s defense.

After reading some of the Ed quotes from the article, I had a couple of initial questions:

1.) How does Ed’s opinion sit with Mike? Cause Mike had tried hard to be a part of that scene. (Didn’t know about Stone’s experience w/the scene. That just adds to my question.)

2.) Has Ed ever criticized the surf scene for their treatment of women?

Then there are my reactions to the thread. Eddie Vedder gets called a feminist simply because that is what he brands himself as. Personally, I wouldn’t rank him as one. 
    In fact, his suggestion that women were taken seriously because of the clothes they were wearing is both misogynistic and not true. 
    (I threw a trench coat over my t-shirt and jeans to avoid getting groped at the Drop in the Park show.)
    And, uh, the only person he could appreciate in a bustier was Perry Ferrell?! I beg his pardon 

L

(I know, not a bustier. But, same category, so...)

Anyway, my impression of this whole thing is that Ed is projecting like a motherfucker.
    Would you relax. It’s Sunday. Go outside and have fun. 
  • Saw this over Twitter, finally checking in to read the forum’s take. Happy to see there have been responses that I can relate to and not just fanbois jumping to Ed’s defense.

After reading some of the Ed quotes from the article, I had a couple of initial questions:

1.) How does Ed’s opinion sit with Mike? Cause Mike had tried hard to be a part of that scene. (Didn’t know about Stone’s experience w/the scene. That just adds to my question.)

2.) Has Ed ever criticized the surf scene for their treatment of women?

Then there are my reactions to the thread. Eddie Vedder gets called a feminist simply because that is what he brands himself as. Personally, I wouldn’t rank him as one. 
    In fact, his suggestion that women were taken seriously because of the clothes they were wearing is both misogynistic and not true. 
    (I threw a trench coat over my t-shirt and jeans to avoid getting groped at the Drop in the Park show.)
    And, uh, the only person he could appreciate in a bustier was Perry Ferrell?! I beg his pardon 

L

(I know, not a bustier. But, same category, so...)

Anyway, my impression of this whole thing is that Ed is projecting like a motherfucker.
    Would you relax. It’s Sunday. Go outside and have fun. 
    Would you stop being condescending. It's Sunday. Go wrap your head around everyone not adoring Gigaton.
  • Do Motley Crue fans concede that they are a sleazy band and thats the reason Ed dislikes them? He says he dind't care much for hair metal, but he specifically calls out the Girls x3 and stuff like that they represented.

But what they represented is a tad more okey, if the band has "teeth".
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 892
    Do Motley Crue fans concede that they are a sleazy band and thats the reason Ed dislikes them? He says he dind't care much for hair metal, but he specifically calls out the Girls x3 and stuff like that they represented.

Will somebody give this dude a Xanax and a warm blanket. Jesus.
  • vedpunk said:

+1
  • vedpunk said:

+1
    Yup. 
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    vedpunk said:

You have to admit though, his logic is perfectly sound.
    Spiritual_Chaos said:
    But if you made a song for Friday the 13th part 6: Jason Lives and played Freddy Krueger's dad, you have a pass to do as you wish forever.
  • Do Motley Crue fans concede that they are a sleazy band and thats the reason Ed dislikes them? He says he dind't care much for hair metal, but he specifically calls out the Girls x3 and stuff like that they represented.

Yes, they are sleazy rock band dudes
    Do the defenders of all things Ed says concede that he supports people and/or bands who conducted themselves as badly, or worse?

The whole thing is hilarious
      Big deal...Ed talks shit from left field and someone he talked shit on returned serve.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I dont know if anyone else is watching the pam and tommy show on hulu which is pretty entertaining.  They definitely portray tommy as a complete douche bag. 
    edited February 2022
    vedpunk said:

I take it I was correct.

Thank you.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • I dont know if anyone else is watching the pam and tommy show on hulu which is pretty entertaining.  They definitely portray tommy as a complete douche bag. 
    Watched two or three episodes. Felt icky and tacky.
    Tommys fake cock 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • biz999biz999 Posts: 173
    I dont know if anyone else is watching the pam and tommy show on hulu which is pretty entertaining.  They definitely portray tommy as a complete douche bag. 
    Of the few bigger musicians I've actually met - Tommy was incredibly nice and humble. Maybe he wasn't that way during the Method of Mayhem era...
    Tommys fake cock 
    Hilarious 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,660
    biz999 said:
    I dont know if anyone else is watching the pam and tommy show on hulu which is pretty entertaining.  They definitely portray tommy as a complete douche bag. 
    Of the few bigger musicians I've actually met - Tommy was incredibly nice and humble. Maybe he wasn't that way during the Method of Mayhem era...
    When I met him, he seemed to have zero interest. They had just done a press conference type thing at the Hard Rock Cafe in Boston for Generation Swine, (they were doing 3 cities a day if I recall) and I knew the building having done some contract work there and knew where they'd exit so went to get them to sign Rolling Stone magazine. Nikki was very cool, engaged and pleasant. Mick honestly seemed shocked anyone approached him and was very nice. Vince and Tommy both seemed disinterested. Their limo had to do a loop around the block due to a side street being one way and he seemed perturbed, just wanted out of there, but that extra time did allow me to get him to sign the magazine.
    If I recall that was not a great time in his personal life, because I've heard he's generally a nice guy. He wasn't rude or anything (Pete Townshend takes the cake for that, different story for a different day), just wanted to be somewhere else,
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Tom Werman has said that he has nothing but good says to say about Tommy Lee -- always positive. And he did what 3-4 albums with them.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,470
    This thread almost makes me wish we had social media and internet forums back when Vince was challenging Axl to a televised fight  :D

After watching some of the videos that have been posted I feel sorry for Mick Mars. The guy has been in chronic pain all of his career but still does a better job on stage than Vince ever has.

I used to love Motley Crue when I was a kid. I was 11 when I first saw the Wild Side video and it seemed like a lot of fun. Of course when you're that young you don't really understand everything that was going on, but there were a ton of 80s hair bands all doing the same thing (and Motley had better songs). The last album of theirs that I bought was the Corabi one, I still think it's a solid album and it would have been interesting to see where they could have gone if they'd kept that sound.

It probably sounds patronising but now I just think of them as something I grew out of, like a cartoon I used to watch as a kid. I follow Nikki on IG (for his photography more than the music), but Tommy blocked me a few years ago  :D
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,660
    goldrush said:
    This thread almost makes me wish we had social media and internet forums back when Vince was challenging Axl to a televised fight  :D

They'd have to opt for sumo wrestling nowadays.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    goldrush said:

After watching some of the videos that have been posted I feel sorry for Mick Mars. The guy has been in chronic pain all of his career but still does a better job on stage than Vince ever has.

I used to love Motley Crue when I was a kid. I was 11 when I first saw the Wild Side video and it seemed like a lot of fun. Of course when you're that young you don't really understand everything that was going on, but there were a ton of 80s hair bands all doing the same thing (and Motley had better songs). The last album of theirs that I bought was the Corabi one, I still think it's a solid album and it would have been interesting to see where they could have gone if they'd kept that sound.

It probably sounds patronising but now I just think of them as something I grew out of, like a cartoon I used to watch as a kid. I follow Nikki on IG (for his photography more than the music), but Tommy blocked me a few years ago  :D
    excellent description. 

www.headstonesband.com

• goldrush said:

Why did tommy block you?
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,470
    goldrush said:

Why did tommy block you?
    It was quite a few years ago, and it was a couple of days after a mass shouting in the US. I can’t recall which one. Tommy posted a video of him and someone else shooting up an old car with automatic rifles. I - and a lot of other people - commented with something like “dude, not the best timing!” and didn’t think anything else of it. I mean, it’s Tommy Lee, he posts crazy shit all the time.

Next day I went to check and I’d been blocked. I checked the post from my wife’s account and there were a bunch of replies from other fans to my comment, calling me everything from a pussy to a hater to (my favourite) a “Hillary loving piece of shit” (as a Welshman in Australia that made zero sense at all!)  :D
    There was also a blanket reply from Tommy to all the negative comments saying “Fuck you all, you’re done”. I wished I’d saved a screenshot of it because it was pretty entertaining.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    it is hard to keep track of all those mass shoutings. with the all the yelling trauma and all. 

www.headstonesband.com

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2022
    The respect I was taught on the ownership and use of guns by my grandfather definitely would not have included the use of automatic rifles shooting up old cars. 
    He sounds like your typical out of touch pos celebrity, no matter what is going on in the real world.  Sounds like he uses Social media as a playground to display his own level of narcissism.

I’ll support the band who has a healthy view on guns and gun violence.