Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073

Almost every other Swede, 45 percent, still wants Sweden to join NATO, according to a new poll from Novus. At the same time, the proportion who are against membership in the defense alliance has increased to 33 percent, reports SVT.

"The proportion of people who don't know has decreased in favour of the 'no' side," says Novus CEO Torbjörn Sjöström.

The undecided group has decreased from 25 percent a week ago to 22 percent today.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Almost every other Swede, 45 percent, still wants Sweden to join NATO, according to a new poll from Novus. At the same time, the proportion who are against membership in the defense alliance has increased to 33 percent, reports SVT.

"The proportion of people who don't know has decreased in favour of the 'no' side," says Novus CEO Torbjörn Sjöström.

The undecided group has decreased from 25 percent a week ago to 22 percent today.

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/273276/nato/p1
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    @brianlux

those stamps you wanted, Russian warship: Go Fuck Yourself, can be bought here.   the site has been absolutely hammered today and it's not currently loading but perhaps later today or at a late date it will

https://pm.ukrposhta.ua/nishop.php
  • Options
    Interesting how we cheer vulgar political discourse elsewhere but then think that it's the downfall of society to see "Fuck Joe Biden" flags in the homeland.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,806
    dankind said:
    Interesting how we cheer vulgar political discourse elsewhere but then think that it's the downfall of society to see "Fuck Joe Biden" flags in the homeland.
    Whenever I bring up both sides, I’m talking about the voters. To me, most of them act the same exact way. It’s comical and sad. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,666
    dankind said:
    Um, this isn't vulgar political discourse.  This is saying Fuck off to a country that has invaded and committed war crimes.  Hopefully you can clearly delineate the difference between political parties in the US and the Russo/Ukraine war.  

This was sarcasm, right>?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Um, this isn't vulgar political discourse.  This is saying Fuck off to a country that has invaded and committed war crimes.  Hopefully you can clearly delineate the difference between political parties in the US and the Russo/Ukraine war.  

Almost all acts of war and terror are political, including Putin's mythic quest to reunite Rus. So, yes, telling an opposing force during an act of war to "fuck off" is vulgar political discourse. 

And no need to worry yourself about my ability to delineate differences between homeland politics and international politics. I thought that I sort of pointed that out in my post. But just to set your mind at ease, I won't be outraged when Volodymyr Zelenskyy isn't on my next US ballot.

I'm guessing that we love Ukrainians telling Russians to "fuck off" about as much as those who side with Russian policy love seeing "Fuck Joe Biden" flags in the US. Those same people might also think it's the downfall of society to see "Fuck Vlad Putin" flags flown in their homeland.

And for the record, I'm one of the people (the "we") I refer to in my post. I'm merely pointing out that the dissociation involved is interesting (to me at least).

If you don't think so, feel free to not comment -- or you could always take some advice from our favorite Snake Island gentlemen and scholars.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,649

What does Johan Giesecke think?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Almost all acts of war and terror are political, including Putin's mythic quest to reunite Rus. So, yes, telling an opposing force during an act of war to "fuck off" is vulgar political discourse. 

And no need to worry yourself about my ability to delineate differences between homeland politics and international politics. I thought that I sort of pointed that out in my post. But just to set your mind at ease, I won't be outraged when Volodymyr Zelenskyy isn't on my next US ballot.

I'm guessing that we love Ukrainians telling Russians to "fuck off" about as much as those who side with Russian policy love seeing "Fuck Joe Biden" flags in the US. Those same people might also think it's the downfall of society to see "Fuck Vlad Putin" flags flown in their homeland.

And for the record, I'm one of the people (the "we") I refer to in my post. I'm merely pointing out that the dissociation involved is interesting (to me at least).

If you don't think so, feel free to not comment -- or you could always take some advice from our favorite Snake Island gentlemen and scholars.
    Thanks for giving me the option to not comment.  That's a real relief.  Alas I decided to comment anyway because, well that's what we do here.  

It's a ridiculous comparison.  You can say that war is political, but all politics are not war.  The senate race in PA isn't a war where Dr. Oz is going to be bombing Philly if he doesn't win.  Sorry, it's a clumsy statement.  Coarsening political discourse is a cause of real concern in the United States.  Ukrainian sailors telling Russians to fuck off before going to battle is a tad bit understandable.  Maybe that could have been avoided had Russia respected the sovereignty of Ukraine.  And if you or anyone else wants to argue that point, I'd love to go at it with any Russian sympathizers.  

• Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Are you same-saming? Sssssssssssssssssss!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Thanks for giving me the option to not comment.  That's a real relief.  Alas I decided to comment anyway because, well that's what we do here.  

It's a ridiculous comparison.  You can say that war is political, but all politics are not war.  The senate race in PA isn't a war where Dr. Oz is going to be bombing Philly if he doesn't win.  Sorry, it's a clumsy statement.  Coarsening political discourse is a cause of real concern in the United States.  Ukrainian sailors telling Russians to fuck off before going to battle is a tad bit understandable.  Maybe that could have been avoided had Russia respected the sovereignty of Ukraine.  And if you or anyone else wants to argue that point, I'd love to go at it with any Russian sympathizers.  

What are your views on sympathizing with russian working people that are going to be fucked by the sanctions and the impediments of some non oligarch Russians to make their livelihoods abroad?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

What are your views on sympathizing with russian working people that are going to be fucked by the sanctions and the impediments of some non oligarch Russians to make their livelihoods abroad?
    I feel bad for the Russian people.  But I feel worse for the Ukrainians.  Russia can rise up and overthrow their dictator. They did it in 1917 and did it again (essentially) in 1990.  Russian peasants are victims, but they aren't getting bombed, aren't being displaced and are not burying dead citizens.  So my sympathy for them is much more limited than it is for Ukrainians.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited April 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

I feel bad for the Russian people.  But I feel worse for the Ukrainians.  Russia can rise up and overthrow their dictator. They did it in 1917 and did it again (essentially) in 1990.  Russian peasants are victims, but they aren't getting bombed, aren't being displaced and are not burying dead citizens.  So my sympathy for them is much more limited than it is for Ukrainians.  
    To be clear I have far more sympathy for the Ukranians.   I was just wondering what was considered a Russian sympathizer in your mind.  I am assuming from this, that that equates to someone that sympathizes with official policy out of Moscow?  I don't know of many people that are sympathizing in that way outside of Tucker and MTG and I guess by association their proponents/audience.

As to the coarsening of US political dialogue, that will probably continue for better or worse.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

To be clear I have far more sympathy for the Ukranians.   I was just wondering what was considered a Russian sympathizer in your mind.  I am assuming from this, that that equates to someone that sympathizes with official policy out of Moscow?  I don't know of many people that are sympathizing in that way outside of Tucker and MTG and I guess by association their proponents/audience.

As to the coarsening of US political dialogue, that will probably continue for better or worse.  
    Correct, sympathetic to the invasion of Ukraine and the Kremlin policy. 

You should read the American Conservative (amconmag.com).  That was started by Pat Buchanan and for years was a good place to read the isolationist's view of foreign policy.  Daniel Larison (among others) wrote compelling arguments to stay out of most international conflicts.  However, it has been taken over by writers who play the iso card, but are in fact Kremlin sympathizers.  This is mostly because they are very supportive of Putin and Orban's anti-immigrant, nationalistic, pro-Christian, anti-gay governments.  It's really become a despicable place. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I say about 70% of Russians can go fuck themselves (if that is truly the number supporting this war).  
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    I say about 70% of Russians can go fuck themselves (if that is truly the number supporting this war).  
    Not be argumentative, but they are in an information bubble.  I don't know how many Russians I hold responsible, ones that truly understand the nature of the aggression and are supportive of it.  It's hard for us to understand that the country has never had any freedom.  From the Czars, to the Soviet Union, to now.  There was about a ten year window of 'freedom', but it was rife with corruption and the economy collapsed in the late 90s.  Since then, back to a dictator.  They simply have no concept of free.  

But.. Fuck the fucking Kremlin, that's for fucking sure.  
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

To the unobjective reader, I guess it will always appear so.

Maybe "This is our fucking city," a vulgar political response that nearly everyone rallied behind after a couple of kids blew up some folks in Boston, is a better corollary to the Snake Island salute. But for the record, none of these things are the same, and I never intimated nor even implied that that they were so.

That was all inferred.

They are in a similar category the way that ice hockey and baseball are both sports or humans and lobsters are both animals.

But I guess I must've displayed an astounding inability to distinguish nuance here in the past to have been so misinterpreted.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Maybe "This is our fucking city," a vulgar political response that nearly everyone rallied behind after a couple of kids blew up shit in Boston, is a better corollary to the Snake Island salute. But for the record, none of these things are the same, and I never intimated nor even implied that that they were so.

That was all inferred.

They are in a similar category the way that ice hockey and baseball are both sports or humans and lobsters are both animals.

But I guess I must've displayed an astounding inability to distinguish nuance here in the past to have been so misinterpreted.
    "Interesting how we cheer vulgar political discourse elsewhere but then think that it's the downfall of society to see "Fuck Joe Biden" flags in the homeland." is a direct attempt at correlating the two. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited April 2022
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Maybe "This is our fucking city," a vulgar political response that nearly everyone rallied behind after a couple of kids blew up some folks in Boston, is a better corollary to the Snake Island salute. But for the record, none of these things are the same, and I never intimated nor even implied that that they were so.

That was all inferred.

"Interesting how we cheer vulgar political discourse elsewhere but then think that it's the downfall of society to see "Fuck Joe Biden" flags in the homeland." is a direct attempt at correlating the two. 
    Correlatives are not the same; they simply share a relation.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Maybe "This is our fucking city," a vulgar political response that nearly everyone rallied behind after a couple of kids blew up shit in Boston, is a better corollary to the Snake Island salute. But for the record, none of these things are the same, and I never intimated nor even implied that that they were so.

That was all inferred.

That “shit” that was blown up were human beings.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

That was all inferred.

Nice to see you focused on the main point of the post.

Thanks, though. 

Edited for empathy. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Exited first quote trap. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Another quote trap. Carry on. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

That was all inferred.

Thanks, though. 

Edited for empathy. 
    In the interest of political discourse, I thought it was worth pointing out. I’ll reply to your broader points after I clean the Cheeto residue from my fingertips.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

That was all inferred.

Thanks, though. 

Edited for empathy. 
    In the interest of political discourse, I thought it was worth pointing out. I’ll reply to your broader points after I clean the Cheeto residue from my fingertips.
    Cool. I hope someone reads it and gets something out of it.

If you can finally see that pointing out correlations is a very different thing from saying that those correlatives are the exact same thing (and then breathlessly running with that disingenuous, bad faith argument for pages on end), I may eat my oldest flyswatter Boston Red Sox baseball cap.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

That was all inferred.

Thanks, though. 

Edited for empathy. 

If you can finally see that pointing out correlations is a very different thing from saying that those correlatives are the exact same thing (and then breathlessly running with that disingenuous, bad faith argument for pages on end), I may eat my oldest flyswatter Boston Red Sox baseball cap.
    I think it would be odd to say there is a correlation between two 5 year olds fighting over a matchbox car and 2 grown men gunning each other down at a bar over a drug deal.  But technically there is a correlation, right?  But comparing the two in any way is unusual.  I think many of us here think your comparison was quite unusual as well. 

• Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

That was all inferred.

Thanks, though. 

Edited for empathy. 

those correlations are so far apart though, and commenting how ironic it was that people are bothered by one and not by the other was intentionally making them appear closer together than they actually are. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    jpgoegel said:
    @brianlux

those stamps you wanted, Russian warship: Go Fuck Yourself, can be bought here.   the site has been absolutely hammered today and it's not currently loading but perhaps later today or at a late date it will

https://pm.ukrposhta.ua/nishop.php

Hey man, thanks so much, I will check it out!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

That was all inferred.

Thanks, though. 

Edited for empathy. 

those correlations are so far apart though, and commenting how ironic it was that people are bothered by one and not by the other was intentionally making them appear closer together than they actually are
    Another inference.

I merely said that I found it interesting. I also find it interesting that lobsters and human beings both turn red in boiling water.

I actually don't post here to argue.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ok, I guess you find things that aren't similar at all, to be interesting in their similarity. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com