albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    Kat said:
    BBC News
    Roman Abramovich suffered suspected poisoning at talks
    Published 24 minutes ago

Mr Abramovich is said to have been in Kyiv for talks with peace negotiators
    Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich suffered symptoms of suspected poisoning at talks in Kyiv earlier this month, sources close to him say.

The Chelsea FC owner - who has now recovered - reportedly suffered sore eyes and skin peeling.

Two Ukrainian peace negotiators were also said to have been affected.

The Wall Street Journal reported claims the alleged poisoning was orchestrated by hardliners in Russia who wanted to sabotage the talks.

more at
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60904676

Disgusting.  And nothing we can do about it.  Just aweful
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,359
    Kat said:
    BBC News
    Roman Abramovich suffered suspected poisoning at talks
    Published 24 minutes ago

Mr Abramovich is said to have been in Kyiv for talks with peace negotiators
    Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich suffered symptoms of suspected poisoning at talks in Kyiv earlier this month, sources close to him say.

The Chelsea FC owner - who has now recovered - reportedly suffered sore eyes and skin peeling.

Two Ukrainian peace negotiators were also said to have been affected.

The Wall Street Journal reported claims the alleged poisoning was orchestrated by hardliners in Russia who wanted to sabotage the talks.

more at
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60904676
    Welcome to the peace talks, please enjoy a nice bowl of borscht before we get started, don't worry about the skull and crossbones logo on your bowl.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,540
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,029
    Looks like Russia is publicly abandoning its push for Kyiv and Chernigiv. They are playing it up as doing it to gain mutual trust with Ukraine during negotiations. I don't believe that for a second and it is more of a retreat and them trying to save face on how much of a debacle this has been for them. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,773
    PJNB said:
    Looks like Russia is publicly abandoning its push for Kyiv and Chernigiv. They are playing it up as doing it to gain mutual trust with Ukraine during negotiations. I don't believe that for a second and it is more of a retreat and them trying to save face on how much of a debacle this has been for them. 
    Of course, but it was important for Putin to find a way to recast the war as a victory back home.  But the rest of the world sees what happened. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,450
    The World shouldn't stop the sanctions until Russia is forced to and on their way to paying 1:1 to rebuilt what they have destroyed. 

This war was completely and utter unjust.

A "we're going home now, let's have some good ol' peace. Till next time!" shouldn't cut it. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    The World shouldn't stop the sanctions until Russia is forced to and on their way to paying 1:1 to rebuilt what they have destroyed. 

This war was completely and utter unjust.

A "we're going home now, let's have some good ol' peace. Till next time!" shouldn't cut it. 
    I agree, but I don’t see that happening. It just takes a couple willing to lift them.
    Thry shouldn’t participate in any world events, like the Olympics, until Putin is out of power either.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of this.  

I agree that the world cannot just allow Putin to withdraw from this mess, claim victory, lick his wounds, and build up his military for the next land-grab. 

I also do wonder though how much irreparable damage he has done to himself domestically, and if its a matter of when he gets a Polonium sandwich and not "if".

You just have to hope the next guy isn't worse.

The world also needs to get together and do something about the de-commissioning of all nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yury Luzhkov wasn't perfect, but he was everyone's hope for new Russian leadership in the mid to late 1990s. Then Putin happened.

The insular nature of Russian politics and the current makeup of the Duma are not things that give me any hope for a more pro-Western government in Moscow.

Dostoevsky's Demons are rampant.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Yury Luzhkov wasn't perfect, but he was everyone's hope for new Russian leadership in the mid to late 1990s. Then Putin happened.

The insular nature of Russian politics and the current makeup of the Duma are not things that give me any hope for a more pro-Western government in Moscow.

Dostoevsky's Demons are rampant.
    It's simply the history of Russia, unfortunately.  Authoritarianism is in their culture and they have never 'Westernized'.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,316
    My cousin and her 2 friends loaded up and flew out to Poland border where they are donating their time and helping usher in the refugees.

We are a proud bunch for her.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,531
    My cousin and her 2 friends loaded up and flew out to Poland border where they are donating their time and helping usher in the refugees.

Fuckin right on!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,777

The definition of heroes. Thanks for sharing that.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options

Beautiful!  Major kudos.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    This is not about Ukraine, but Eastern Europe (Poland).  Two 97 year old Holocaust survivors who were like brothers in their work camp miraculously find each other at a fundraiser this year.  Amazing story.  

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/03/29/holocaust-survivors-reunite-waksal-ron/

The last time Jack Waksal saw Sam Ron was in 1943, at the peak of World War II. They shoveled coal, side by side, at a forced labor camp in Pionki, Poland.

Over the past eight decades, Waksal wondered if his friend and fellow Jewish prisoner survived the war. On March 20, he finally got his answer: Remarkably, yes.

At an annual gala in South Florida, hosted by the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Ron, 97, who was an honorary chair at the event, delivered a poignant speech. As he shared his story of survival with the 400-person audience, Waksal, also 97, suddenly recognized the man onstage.

“I know this person,” Waksal thought to himself. “We were like brothers.”

As soon as Ron stepped away from the podium, Waksal rushed to approach his long-lost companion.

“He jumped out from his seat and came running over to me,” Ron recalled. “He started hugging me and said, ‘You are my brother!’ ”

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446

Wow. That is awesome
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    This is not about Ukraine, but Eastern Europe (Poland).  Two 97 year old Holocaust survivors who were like brothers in their work camp miraculously find each other at a fundraiser this year.  Amazing story.  

washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2022/03/29/holocaust-survivors-reunite-waksal-ron/

The last time Jack Waksal saw Sam Ron was in 1943, at the peak of World War II. They shoveled coal, side by side, at a forced labor camp in Pionki, Poland.

Over the past eight decades, Waksal wondered if his friend and fellow Jewish prisoner survived the war. On March 20, he finally got his answer: Remarkably, yes.

At an annual gala in South Florida, hosted by the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Ron, 97, who was an honorary chair at the event, delivered a poignant speech. As he shared his story of survival with the 400-person audience, Waksal, also 97, suddenly recognized the man onstage.

“I know this person,” Waksal thought to himself. “We were like brothers.”

As soon as Ron stepped away from the podium, Waksal rushed to approach his long-lost companion.

“He jumped out from his seat and came running over to me,” Ron recalled. “He started hugging me and said, ‘You are my brother!’ ”

That's a great story and as an added bonus, any 97 year old who can "rush to approach" and "jump out from his seat and come running" makes it all the more awesome!
    Hells bells, on bad days I can't jump or run.  :lol:

• Options
    Since NY Times is a paywall, rather than copy and paste an article from them (not an honest action and I have been guilty of that), I will simply and very briefly summarize an article I read in the Times this evening (3/29/22) and post this in the Global Warming thread as well:

The gist of the article proposes the idea that if we discontinued our addiction to oil (and, adding my own thought, most of our excess driving), we could prevent wars like the one in the Ukraine and reverse global warming.  The U.S. and NATO funds Russia and it's military by buying their oil.  We are heating the planet by burning too much oil.

That, in a nutshell, is it.
    This needs to be considered. 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,308
    brianlux said:
    Since NY Times is a paywall, rather than copy and paste an article from them (not an honest action and I have been guilty of that), I will simply and very briefly summarize an article I read in the Times this evening (3/29/22) and post this in the Global Warming thread as well:

The gist of the article proposes the idea that if we discontinued our addiction to oil (and, adding my own thought, most of our excess driving), we could prevent wars like the one in the Ukraine and reverse global warming.  The U.S. and NATO funds Russia and it's military by buying their oil.  We are heating the planet by burning too much oil.

That, in a nutshell, is it.
    This needs to be considered. 

subscribers can gift up to 10 articles a month. click on the little present icon to copy that gift link......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,382
    Yah, but in order to ditch oil, people need to go electric, and batteries require a number of materials to be created, so wouldn't it just shift power struggles from oil producing countries to the ones that have the resources needed to make batteries?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,045
    Zod said:
    Yah, but in order to ditch oil, people need to go electric, and batteries require a number of materials to be created, so wouldn't it just shift power struggles from oil producing countries to the ones that have the resources needed to make batteries?
    exactly. I'm all for going electric for the health of the planet, but there would then be conflicts over whichever finite resource people are vying over. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Zod said:
    Could work towards better heating as a step.

Just be guided by THE MORAL AND HUMANITARIAN SUPER POWER to the left.

Poland is working on it:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Zod said:
    Could work towards better heating as a step.

Just be guided by THE MORAL AND HUMANITARIAN SUPER POWER to the left.

Poland is working on it:

So Sweden beat Poland at something more important!

Join the Cameroon WC bandwagon, S_C!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

Two of the Russian warplanes that violated Swedish airspace earlier in March were armed with nuclear weapons, according to reports to TV4 Nyheter. The Swedish Armed Forces would not comment on the information on the grounds that it is classified information.

A total of four Russian aircraft violated Swedish airspace off Gotland on March 2, when Finland and Sweden held a joint military exercise in the Baltic Sea.

• Options
    edited March 2022
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,045
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    So....is Ukraine really turning the tide or is this just a ruse by Putin to buy time while switching gears? I keep seeing conflicting stories. On one hand I am reading about Russian soldiers not knowing what the fuck they are doing and sabotaging their own missions....then I am also seeing that Russia is just buying time for something bigger. What is really going on here?
    chinese-happy.jpg