Ukraine

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,737
    edited March 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    no one but you were speaking of shell.making some kind of point, I dont know what that was.
    You failing to see the point, is sadly on you. 

Well oh well
    no, it was more failing to artticulate what the point  was.

Okey. Unfortunate for you.
    you have two intelligent adults asking what your point was. I'd like to know what it was since I clearly misunderstood it. 
    I don't know who these two adults the gentleman is referring to would be. I have only seen mickeyrat referencing a "point" in a post, but not in any way asking about it. I do however presume that mickeyrat is an "intelligent adult" and therefore I imagine the point will come to him in no time. If he is not just playing obtuse and it is in reality already crystal clear, like in that movie with Demi Moore and Kevin Pollak.

Your misunderstanding seems to stem from you having a perception that Pearl Jam is not being able to afford saying no to playing events sponsored and paid for by oil companies. So, instead of me wasting words I recommend you think about that for a moment and once you get over that hurdle everything else point-wise should fall in place.

There is nothing hard at all to understand about any points I've made. Whether one is an intelligent adult or an unintelligent adult.
    I never said they couldn't afford it. 

I guess you didn't have a point after all. it's odd to have a back and forth with someone refusing to explain their point to someone who is genuinely asking. I'm guessing you "wasted more words" not explaining than it would have taken you explain it, if indeed you did have a point. 
    Well, if you do not believe they are in the position of being forced to play events paid for by oil companies. Then what is the point of your first post?

Understanding the point of your post, could be the key to understand how my point flew over your head in this brouhaha, if I can evoke a little.. french.
    interesting little tidbit about Aug 2005 in to 2006...

do note the blurb about the 2010 fest

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,951
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    no one but you were speaking of shell.making some kind of point, I dont know what that was.

Well oh well

you have two intelligent adults asking what your point was. I'd like to know what it was since I clearly misunderstood it. 
    I don't know who these two adults the gentleman is referring to would be. I have only seen mickeyrat referencing a "point" in a post, but not in any way asking about it. I do however presume that mickeyrat is an "intelligent adult" and therefore I imagine the point will come to him in no time. If he is not just playing obtuse and it is in reality already crystal clear, like in that movie with Demi Moore and Kevin Pollak.

Your misunderstanding seems to stem from you having a perception that Pearl Jam is not being able to afford saying no to playing events sponsored and paid for by oil companies. So, instead of me wasting words I recommend you think about that for a moment and once you get over that hurdle everything else point-wise should fall in place.

There is nothing hard at all to understand about any points I've made. Whether one is an intelligent adult or an unintelligent adult.

I guess you didn't have a point after all. it's odd to have a back and forth with someone refusing to explain their point to someone who is genuinely asking. I'm guessing you "wasted more words" not explaining than it would have taken you explain it, if indeed you did have a point. 
    Well, if you do not believe they are in the position of being forced to play events paid for by oil companies. Then what is the point of your first post?

Understanding the point of your post, could be the key to understand how my point flew over your head in this brouhaha, if I can evoke a little.. french.
    you're right....your vague shitpost and refusal to expound on it is all my fault. 

jesus christ you're exhausting. 
    Haha this is awesome. Well said.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,076
    edited March 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Well oh well

you're right....your vague shitpost and refusal to expound on it is all my fault. 

jesus christ you're exhausting. 
    Your choice. Not me blabbering about one having to play in front of oil company logos because times are not like they were in the 90s.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2022
    Had not seen this documentary before. Netflix made it free on youtube. 

How the fuck could Putin believe his military would be welcomed with open arms? And I read, maybe not true, that he wanted to reinstate the fuck that Ukrainians gave their lives to get rid off. 

Bunker-in-1945 way of thinking.

https://youtu.be/yzNxLzFfR5w

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346

How the fuck could Putin believe his military would be welcomed with open arms? And I read, maybe not true, that he wanted to reinstate the fuck that Ukrainians gave their lives to get rid off. 

These guys believe their own propaganda. 
    edited March 2022
    Fighting for your freedom and to not have to live in a corrupt shit country, in the end winning that fight with people dying for that cause and getting a taste of living in a sound and fair society... for a fucking de facto dictator to come in and wreck it all again. 

It's sickening. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,484
    I still say this cant end many  ways. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    mrussel1 said:

These guys believe their own propaganda. 

Anyone not agreeing with Putin is at best cleaning the streets and at worst under the street cleaner.

none of them wish to be in videos like this-

http://ukraineatwar.blogspot.com/2015/02/analyzing-cctv-footage-that-seemed-to.html
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,612
    If you subscribe to NY Times, PLEASE do not post the photo from their cover story on Ukraine without giving a heads up first.  The photo was the first thing I looked at this morning and it is highly disturbing.  It totally ruined my morning.  Yes, I am an entitled, privileged  westerner etc,. etc., I know that, but I am also very aware of what is happening in Ukraine, I've seen death, and I don't need that kind of emotional manipulation first thing in the day.
    Thanks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    brianlux said:
    If you subscribe to NY Times, PLEASE do not post the photo from their cover story on Ukraine without giving a heads up first.  The photo was the first thing I looked at this morning and it is highly disturbing.  It totally ruined my morning.  Yes, I am an entitled, privileged  westerner etc,. etc., I know that, but I am also very aware of what is happening in Ukraine, I've seen death, and I don't need that kind of emotional manipulation first thing in the day.
    Thanks.

You should probably just avoid this thread then. And the New York Times. And anything else in this world that's scary and might ruin your morning. It's a war and it's real life. I'm looking at the picture right now. I won't post it because I'd hate to ruin your afternoon. But take solace in the fact at least it was just your morning that was ruined, not your life like the people in the picture, and basically everyone else in the Ukraine right now. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    brianlux said:
    Thanks.

You should probably just avoid this thread then. And the New York Times. And anything else in this world that's scary and might ruin your morning. It's a war and it's real life. I'm looking at the picture right now. I won't post it because I'd hate to ruin your afternoon. But take solace in the fact at least it was just your morning that was ruined, not your life like the people in the picture, and basically everyone else in the Ukraine right now. 
    I figured this type of post was going to follow Brian's. look, a lot of people are very aware of how horrific it is for the ukrainian people right now, but images like that can be very triggering for a lot of people, especially empaths and people with anxiety. all he said was to give a heads up, or put it behind that spoiler thing. 

shaming someone for admitting they have a hard time handling images of war? really?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

brianlux said:
    Thanks.

I figured this type of post was going to follow Brian's. look, a lot of people are very aware of how horrific it is for the ukrainian people right now, but images like that can be very triggering for a lot of people, especially empaths and people with anxiety. all he said was to give a heads up, or put it behind that spoiler thing. 

shaming someone for admitting they have a hard time handling images of war? really?

I think it's obvious Ledbetterman10 hasn't followed this thread much or he would know that I have followed the Ukraine situation very closely, have admitted that my life is relatively cushy, am aware of what death looks like, etc.  Apparently he seems to have a need to be a tough guy.  That kind of tough to me is weak posturing. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Thanks.

I think it's obvious Ledbetterman10 hasn't followed this thread much or he would know that I have followed the Ukraine situation very closely, have admitted that my life is relatively cushy, am aware of what death looks like, etc.  Apparently he seems to have a need to be a tough guy.  That kind of tough to me is weak posturing. 
    I had to look after you posted.  That's an awful picture for sure, I'm not sure how I feel about spoilers on that type of image. I understand the want to avoid being triggered etc, but I also see why these images may need to get to some people (not you Bri) that may be triggered but don't fully understand the situation without seeing these types of images.

Purposefully firing on women and children...kinda makes me agree with Lindsey Graham for once.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    brianlux said:
    Thanks.

Yikes
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Jesus that photo made me tear up.  How awful.  When I taught the Holocaust there was this one photo I would show the class but I myself couldn't look at it because it was so powerful; the nytimes photo reminds me of that.  Hopefully something positive comes from it.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    it seemed to take images of dead refugees , specifically a 3 year old floating face down, for many in the world to realize the gravity of the syrian civil war.

as heart wrenching as these images may be, it seems necessary to me to view them,  all safe and sound as I am in my cushy little life all these thousands of miles away from this conflict.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    @brianlux if I may offer a suggestion. I think nyt has a setting to turn off images. Could be wrong, but its worth exploring. that way your emotional torture in reading the news will be text only....

mickeyrat said:
    @brianlux if I may offer a suggestion. I think nyt has a setting to turn off images. Could be wrong, but its worth exploring. that way your emotional torture in reading the news will be text only....

To be honest, I am more bothered by jerks and trolls than by pictures of dead bodies.  At least dead people don't give me any shit.

Don't post any pictures in here at least. Unless it is Putin awkwardly dying from stepping on a banana peel.
    mickeyrat said:
    it seemed to take images of dead refugees , specifically a 3 year old floating face down, for many in the world to realize the gravity of the syrian civil war.

as heart wrenching as these images may be, it seems necessary to me to view them,  all safe and sound as I am in my cushy little life all these thousands of miles away from this conflict.
    but imagine a veteran or refugee who is easily triggered by images like these that could have a very harmful negative emotional and mental affect. that's why stations put on "the following program may contain disturbing images". it's not cool to ambush people with that. all brian said was to not post it here or at least post a warning prior to. I don't think the response he got was really all that rational. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Thanks.

I’m sorry to have heckled your request for a safe space from war images in an online war thread. Images appearing on the front pages of globally-read newspapers like the NYT. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Thanks.

I’m sorry to have heckled your request for a safe space from war images in an online war thread. Images appearing on the front pages of globally-read newspapers like the NYT. 

Fair enough, thanks.  Let's move on.

its so good they've denied the US access

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    brianlux said:
    Thanks.
    Respecting your wishing I won’t post the image. But this conversation made me want to see what you were taking about. 
    I think we can talk about it. I knew Russia had been discriminately targeting civilian buildings, but firing on families trying to flee is sickening. 
    I assumed most Russian soldiers don’t want to be there. Probably face severe consequences for not following any orders. But orders or not, how could anyone do that in todays world?
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Thanks.
    Respecting your wishing I won’t post the image. But this conversation made me want to see what you were taking about. 
    I think we can talk about it. I knew Russia had been discriminately targeting civilian buildings, but firing on families trying to flee is sickening. 
    I assumed most Russian soldiers don’t want to be there. Probably face severe consequences for not following any orders. But orders or not, how could anyone do that in todays world?

Oh yes, for sure we can talk about it.  And I do understand the power of images.  Perhaps there are people that need to see these things to understand the magnitude of the horrendous nature of what Putin is doing to Ukraine.  What I would hope for is a heads up like we see in videos- somethings along the lines of, "Contents of photos may be disturbing to some."  But this was front page, no warning.  Let me at least have a cup of coffee and a heads up.  Then I'm ready for whatever is out there.  I know how horrendous it is.  I don't need shock therapy.  I'm already doing my part by learning what I can, disseminating information, sending money (and not just a token). 

Excellent point about the Russian soldiers. Mace.  My empathy goes out the most to the Ukrainian people, but I also feel very bad for these young Russian soldiers, many who were sent out without any idea of what they were getting into.  Many who will die horrible deaths and leave their families in terrible grief.  I also feel bad for the average Russian citizen whose hard work and life saving just went down the toilet.  Who are stuck with living under an evil regime.

Some of the things I will say here are not pleasant:

Back in the 80's, I met a young Russian man who was working in the Sates as an interpreter during the collapse of the USSR.  He and another friend of mine and I went out to an all-night coffee shop and talked until the early morning hours.  God, the things he told me- like being given the choice of enlisting in the Russian army or being put in an insane asylum.  He was not at all crazy- quite brilliant and very together, in fact- it was just their way of trying to conscript him.  He was a pacifist so chose the asylum.  They did horrible experiments on him including injecting him with olive oil to see what would happen.  He described the horrible pain he had to endure, an incredible form of torture.  By confiding in me and telling me these things, he put his very freedom and well being at.  But this was his once chance to share with an American some of the things that were going on in that country at the time.

So imagine what hell it is like there now? We would do well to be very aware of how lucky most of us are and how difficult it must be for the average Russian citizen, especially those thousands who are being detained and jailed for courageously speaking out against the Ukraine invasion.

This is a world of hell and tortures we are living in.  I don't think we have a clue how fortunate most of us are.  I can only vaguely imagine. 

Jesus Brian. That’s a crazy story I picture in a film noir with saxophone playing in the background and the guy from The Big Lebowsi narrating. 

www.headstonesband.com