Ukraine

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,612
    Jesus Brian. That’s a crazy story I picture in a film noir with saxophone playing in the background and the guy from The Big Lebowsi narrating. 

I love the image your words put into my mind!  The actual scene took place is a Denny's with fluorescent lights, mediocre coffee, and tinny elevator music, but the vibe was definitely intense.
    Repo Man Intense GIF - Repo Man Intense Tense Situations - Discover ampamp Share  GIFs

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,737
    edited March 2022
    brianlux said:
    Jesus Brian. That’s a crazy story I picture in a film noir with saxophone playing in the background and the guy from The Big Lebowsi narrating. 

I love the image your words put into my mind!  The actual scene took place is a Denny's with fluorescent lights, mediocre coffee, and tinny elevator music, but the vibe was definitely intense.
    Repo Man Intense GIF - Repo Man Intense Tense Situations - Discover ampamp Share  GIFs

Recently bought Repo Man on blu-ray

by recently I mean April of last year..

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,612
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:

Recently bought Repo Man on blu-ray

by recently I mean April of last year..

One of the best ever!  It must look and sound great on Blu-ray!  I have the Criterion DVD with some cool extras.  I must have watched that film a million times by now.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    If you subscribe to NY Times, PLEASE do not post the photo from their cover story on Ukraine without giving a heads up first.  The photo was the first thing I looked at this morning and it is highly disturbing.  It totally ruined my morning.  Yes, I am an entitled, privileged  westerner etc,. etc., I know that, but I am also very aware of what is happening in Ukraine, I've seen death, and I don't need that kind of emotional manipulation first thing in the day.
    Thanks.
    Respecting your wishing I won’t post the image. But this conversation made me want to see what you were taking about. 
    I think we can talk about it. I knew Russia had been discriminately targeting civilian buildings, but firing on families trying to flee is sickening. 
    I assumed most Russian soldiers don’t want to be there. Probably face severe consequences for not following any orders. But orders or not, how could anyone do that in todays world?

Oh yes, for sure we can talk about it.  And I do understand the power of images.  Perhaps there are people that need to see these things to understand the magnitude of the horrendous nature of what Putin is doing to Ukraine.  What I would hope for is a heads up like we see in videos- somethings along the lines of, "Contents of photos may be disturbing to some."  But this was front page, no warning.  Let me at least have a cup of coffee and a heads up.  Then I'm ready for whatever is out there.  I know how horrendous it is.  I don't need shock therapy.  I'm already doing my part by learning what I can, disseminating information, sending money (and not just a token). 

Excellent point about the Russian soldiers. Mace.  My empathy goes out the most to the Ukrainian people, but I also feel very bad for these young Russian soldiers, many who were sent out without any idea of what they were getting into.  Many who will die horrible deaths and leave their families in terrible grief.  I also feel bad for the average Russian citizen whose hard work and life saving just went down the toilet.  Who are stuck with living under an evil regime.

Some of the things I will say here are not pleasant:

Back in the 80's, I met a young Russian man who was working in the Sates as an interpreter during the collapse of the USSR.  He and another friend of mine and I went out to an all-night coffee shop and talked until the early morning hours.  God, the things he told me- like being given the choice of enlisting in the Russian army or being put in an insane asylum.  He was not at all crazy- quite brilliant and very together, in fact- it was just their way of trying to conscript him.  He was a pacifist so chose the asylum.  They did horrible experiments on him including injecting him with olive oil to see what would happen.  He described the horrible pain he had to endure, an incredible form of torture.  By confiding in me and telling me these things, he put his very freedom and well being at.  But this was his once chance to share with an American some of the things that were going on in that country at the time.

So imagine what hell it is like there now? We would do well to be very aware of how lucky most of us are and how difficult it must be for the average Russian citizen, especially those thousands who are being detained and jailed for courageously speaking out against the Ukraine invasion.

This is a world of hell and tortures we are living in.  I don't think we have a clue how fortunate most of us are.  I can only vaguely imagine. 

Yes indeed we arr most fortunate here in The States to all the things, choices that we take as common place. I can see how the Russian army appear to be  comfortable with their indiscriminate bombing of the Ukraine.  THANK YOU so much for sharing.

My prayers 🙏 goes out to the people of Ukraine. 

Peace ✌️ 
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,346
    Ukrainian wedding..

This is an interesting article about the Ukrainian centers on the west side of Cleveland, and how they view this...and maybe eventually how it collides with MAGA.  This is the part of Cleveland where I grew up and I can tell you that it is most definitely the pierogi capital of the US.  We would have pierogi day once per week in high school and it was magical. 

BTW, for those of you who are voracious political readers, I highly recommend the Bulwark.  It is a conservative site, that is very anti-Trump.  So it's a good place to balance your perspective without reading the cesspool of nonsense from MAGA sites.  

https://www.thebulwark.com/the-politics-of-ukraine-in-an-ohio-town/

Parma, Ohio
    Ohio sits in the middle of what food marketers refer to as the “Pierogi Pocket of America.” And smack dab in the middle of this pocket is the town of Parma.

Parma—population 80,000—is a suburb of Cleveland and has suddenly gotten a lot of attention because it has a large population of residents with Ukrainian heritage. It has a section of town called the “Ukrainian Village” and the Ukraine flag flies on the light poles on State Road.

The “Ukies” came to Cleveland in the early 1900s, but they continued coming after World War II, with their numbers increasing even more following the collapse of the Soviet Union. They were mainly religious dissidents and those seeking freedom. Many of these immigrants eventually ended up in boxy suburban houses in Parma.

• VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,989
    mrussel1 said:
    This is an interesting article about the Ukrainian centers on the west side of Cleveland, and how they view this...and maybe eventually how it collides with MAGA.  This is the part of Cleveland where I grew up and I can tell you that it is most definitely the pierogi capital of the US.  We would have pierogi day once per week in high school and it was magical. 

BTW, for those of you who are voracious political readers, I highly recommend the Bulwark.  It is a conservative site, that is very anti-Trump.  So it's a good place to balance your perspective without reading the cesspool of nonsense from MAGA sites.  

Parma, Ohio
    Ohio sits in the middle of what food marketers refer to as the “Pierogi Pocket of America.” And smack dab in the middle of this pocket is the town of Parma.

Parma—population 80,000—is a suburb of Cleveland and has suddenly gotten a lot of attention because it has a large population of residents with Ukrainian heritage. It has a section of town called the “Ukrainian Village” and the Ukraine flag flies on the light poles on State Road.

The “Ukies” came to Cleveland in the early 1900s, but they continued coming after World War II, with their numbers increasing even more following the collapse of the Soviet Union. They were mainly religious dissidents and those seeking freedom. Many of these immigrants eventually ended up in boxy suburban houses in Parma.

Coming from a Polish Pittsburgh family, you had me at pierogi. Thanks for the recommendation of The Bulwark, the type of media I’ve been searching for. 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,737
    mrussel1 said:

Parma, Ohio

Coming from a Polish Pittsburgh family, you had me at pierogi. Thanks for the recommendation of The Bulwark, the type of media I’ve been searching for. 

they do a podcast too. my liberal long haired hippy coworker listens on the regular....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    Its probably nearing time that Russia/Ukraine/NATO need to come to the table in good faith prepared to make some concessions.  
    mrussel1 said:

Parma, Ohio

The Dispatch (https://thedispatch.com/) is also a good one. 

I read the National Review often as well, but it gets on my nerves.  Their writers are not in the tank for Trump, but I don't think they are intellectually honest either.  There's one writer who wrote before the war that sanctions are not going far enough.  Then last week he writes an article about how our sanctions are going too far.  Then the NRO will write another article saying Biden did terribly because he declared before the war that the US wouldn't be boots on the ground.  But everyone knew we weren't going to do that.  So they just split hairs to criticize the administration.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,424
    Rich Lowry is a fucking rat. I can't stand that fucker
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    I agree.  I don't love Jonah, but he's not a rat so far as I can tell.  He's a principled yet horrifically wrong neocon. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,951
    mrussel1 said:
    I agree.  I don't love Jonah, but he's not a rat so far as I can tell.  He's a principled yet horrifically wrong neocon. 
    I get their newsletter and just when you think Jonah makes sense he takes a swerve right up his own ass. I'll give him being a Never Trumper and the fact that he responds to some of my emails when it consumes me just a bit too much. Though when I make a decent point he then doesn't reply.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,076
    MayDay10 said:
    Its probably nearing time that Russia/Ukraine/NATO need to come to the table in good faith prepared to make some concessions.  
    ....what
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mrussel1 said:
    I get their newsletter and just when you think Jonah makes sense he takes a swerve right up his own ass. I'll give him being a Never Trumper and the fact that he responds to some of my emails when it consumes me just a bit too much. Though when I make a decent point he then doesn't reply.
    It's funny you say that.  I've exchanged with Rod Dreher from the American Conservative in the past.  And he has thoughtfully engaged.  He's a smart guy, but very Catholic and too close to Tucker for me.  In fact he's been in Hungary for the past year extolling Viktor Orban.  

Anyway, right before the war he wrote a long piece about why we should be hands off Ukraine.  And he brought up how Russia provides x amount of natural gas to Hungary and that he was at a dinner party where all of his intellectual friends in Budapest were concerned about how they were going to heat their homes.  So I asked him how he could write such a long essay, spend time trying to make us feel for his friends that are concerned about their heat, but never ONCE mention the Ukrainians that were likely to lose homes, sovereignty and maybe their lives.  How could expect me to feel bad for his friends when he couldn't muster an ounce of empathy for these Ukrainians.  He did not reply.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,519
    oh my god. please, trump supporters, please try to claim again that this is trump "trolling" and "fooling" the left. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/politics/donald-trump-ukraine-china-russia/index.html
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

So if this accurate, Russia has dropped 2 of its 3 demands from last week.  Not sure how much territory he is demanding.  If it includes Kharkov, I can't imagine that will ever happen. 

A third round of talks between Russia and Ukraine ended without a breakthrough, Ukrainian officials said, as Russia continues to press Ukraine to give up Crimea and a large slice of eastern Ukraine as a condition for Russia to stop its attacks.

The talks, which began as the war entered its 12th day, yielded some progress in logistical arrangements for local cease-fires and evacuation corridors, said Ukrainian negotiator Mykhailo Podolyak after several days of failed efforts to enable civilians to safely leave areas under Russian attack.

“So far, there weren’t results that significantly improve the situation,” said Podolyak, insisting that “consultations will be continued and we’ll get results.”

Before the latest negotiations took place, Russian President Vladimir Putin had also demanded that Ukraine accept neutrality, abandon efforts to join NATO and completely demilitarize.

Meanwhile, casualties climbed as fighting continued and local leaders anticipated additional attacks. In the crucial port city of Odessa, the mayor told The Washington Post, “The aggressor is not far. … For 10 days, the city has been living with this tension.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/07/russia-ukraine-war-news-putin-live-updates/

oh my god. please, trump supporters, please try to claim again that this is trump "trolling" and "fooling" the left. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/07/politics/donald-trump-ukraine-china-russia/index.html
    I think he's just riffing.. stream of consciousness.  The problem is that this is how he thinks.  It's disqualifying.  
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    mrussel1 said:

Parma, Ohio

St. Josaphat's Church on State Road in Parma makes the best pierogies!
    mrussel1 said:

Parma, Ohio

St. Josaphat's Church on State Road in Parma makes the best pierogies!
    You're a west side local?
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    mrussel1 said:

I think he's just riffing.. stream of consciousness.  The problem is that this is how he thinks.  It's disqualifying.  
    Perfectly said!

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited March 2022

I couldnt click the audio clip mentioned, but it looks like this was not meant to be a public statement. My first impression is he’s joking with friends/donors. Not trolling and fooling the left because it looks like a private conversation. I’m sure we all have said dumb things in jest to friends. My wife and I joke around all the time about where we can ditch the kids, like a movie theater with Spider-Man, and going on our own date because they wouldn’t even notice. I hope no one overheard us and thinks that our serious solution to a babysitter.
    That seems more plausible to me than him thinking it’s a real solution.
    Listening to the audio would give a better sense of it’s a joke or his serious plan. I just can’t fathom anyone, at all, thinking that would be a good foreign policy.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    mace1229 said:

I couldnt click the audio clip mentioned, but it looks like this was not meant to be a public statement. My first impression is he’s joking with friends/donors. Not trolling and fooling the left because it looks like a private conversation. I’m sure we all have said dumb things in jest to friends. My wife and I joke around all the time about where we can ditch the kids, like a movie theater with Spider-Man, and going on our own date because they wouldn’t even notice. I hope no one overheard us and thinks that our serious solution to a babysitter.
    Listening to the audio would give a better sense of it’s a joke or his serious plan. I just can’t fathom anyone, at all, thinking that would be a good foreign policy.
    Your first impression is, joke or not, why is this idiot saying this out loud should it not be? 

Trump got by for 5 plus years with people defending that moron with the old oh he was just joking damage control. Trump throws so many ridiculous things out there and his supporters have the luxury of cherry picking which ones they like and do not like and using the he was just joking bro as an excuse for his incompetency.  
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946

MAGAs reply was that it was Trump making a funny. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited March 2022
    PJNB said:
    mace1229 said:

Your first impression is, joke or not, why is this idiot saying this out loud should it not be? 

Trump got by for 5 plus years with people defending that moron with the old oh he was just joking damage control. Trump throws so many ridiculous things out there and his supporters have the luxury of cherry picking which ones they like and do not like and using the he was just joking bro as an excuse for his incompetency.  
    You think it’s more plausible that he thinks it would actually work? I don’t believe there is a single adult on the planet that believes that plan would work, who doesn’t know they’d track where the planes came from and where they went, among countless other issues that would prevent it from being a success. 
    It looks like a private conversation that was secretly recorded. So if I have to pick between a joke made in private or that he actually believes the worst plan in the history of warfare that no other single adult would agree with would actually work, the first seems much more likely to me. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,425
    edited March 2022
    mace1229 said:
    PJNB said:
    mace1229 said:

You think it’s more plausible that he thinks it would actually work? I don’t believe there is a single adult on the planet that believes that plan would work, who doesn’t know they’d track where the planes came from and where they went, among countless other issues that would prevent it from being a success. 
    It looks like a private conversation that was secretly recorded. So if I have to pick between a joke made in private or that he actually believes the worst plan in the history of warfare that no other single adult would agree with would actually work, the first seems much more likely to me. 
    I 100% do think that. He thinks he is the smartest person in the room at all times. 

Do you think one single person in this world other than him thought this idea would actually work? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfLZOkn0chc
    Post edited by PJNB on