Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,720
    So my first instinct with all this is to say that NATO's response needs to be aggressive and tough.  I'm a bit surprised the allies haven't threatened military action. As someone else mentioned... sanctions aren't going to do squat. Putin has already invaded Ukraine. Full stop. 

That said...  and I'm no genius... it seems like Russia and Trump/Fox News wants America engaged in this war. Putin continues to ignore the west and Biden and Fox seems hell bent on painting Biden as 'weak' almost daring him to do something more.  And if that's the case... I'm left wondering why and also realizing that it may be the reason allies have not engaged with military force yet. 

If I'm somewhat correct, would any of you have a reason as to why Russia wants full scale war with the west?  
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    It's a violation of international law to assassinate a head of state. 
    What does international law say about maliciously invading a sovereign country?
    That it's illegal, hence the sanctions and providing Ukraine with weapons.  Russia violating international law doesn't give us the right to do so.  
    If we are engaged with a rule breaking lunatic the fastest way to end the conflict is to break the rules.I don't think history or the international community will look unfavorably on something like that.  If this turns into a protracted conflict and we (US Military) don't put boots on the ground, well then we may as well just give the guy Ukraine. Once he has been emboldened by taking Ukraine where will he stop?  I mean what do we do, go into WWIII because we can't assassinate one lunatic?  I am pretty sure he doesn't give a shit about sanctions at this point.  It sounds like they are trying to take Chernobyl and potentially destabilize it which would likely spread nuclear material all over again.  Is there a line that he crosses that will invite a swift and decisive move that would end this quickly?  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    No doubt will do! 
    So here is Putin basically stating he’s ready to use all options against anyone interfering! Screw him 
    His tactic seems to be working. 

If he would have used "and if you interfere, I will decide to spare my men, because I don't want blood on my hands and the tanks will roll back to Moscow" that would be kind of stupid in relations to his plan.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    Seems like a good time to invade Moscow
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    That it's illegal, hence the sanctions and providing Ukraine with weapons.  Russia violating international law doesn't give us the right to do so.  
    If we are engaged with a rule breaking lunatic the fastest way to end the conflict is to break the rules.I don't think history or the international community will look unfavorably on something like that.  If this turns into a protracted conflict and we (US Military) don't put boots on the ground, well then we may as well just give the guy Ukraine. Once he has been emboldened by taking Ukraine where will he stop?  I mean what do we do, go into WWIII because we can't assassinate one lunatic?  I am pretty sure he doesn't give a shit about sanctions at this point.  It sounds like they are trying to take Chernobyl and potentially destabilize it which would likely spread nuclear material all over again.  Is there a line that he crosses that will invite a swift and decisive move that would end this quickly?  
    This is the scariest part. How far is this guy willing to push this? Why now?

He is going to bankrupt his country even further.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,720
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I don't entirely disagree with you.. to be honest I don't know enough of the inner workings of Russia... however...  killing Putin sounds great.. but the blow back from that could be equally catastrophic.  People loyal to Putin will condemn the west even more and make Putin a martyr. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    edited February 2022
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    The line is invading a NATO country. Unfortunately for Ukraine, they aren't in NATO. I think the greater fear is that Putin does not want to stop here and will, eventually, try to push further west into NATO countries. But I don't see how any of this ends quickly. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Hey, so you guys wanna talk about Trump take it to the appropriate spot. Also, if you cannot comprehend that Trump being in office, instead of Biden, would be a benefit to Putin then I don't know what to tell you.

I think it's time to turn talk here to the title of the thread. This is fucking depressing.
    Or Hillary. It’ll be years before we fully realize the damage POOTWH did to this nation with all of his brilliant brilliance of brilliancy 4D chess playing.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,832
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    The line is invading a NATO country. Unfortunately for Ukraine, they aren't in NATO. I think the greater fear is that Putin does not want to stop here and will, eventually, try to push further west into NATO countries. But I don't see how any of this ends quickly. 
    Outside of completely dropping the hammer - which should definitely not be ruled out here - they just have to make haste with making Russia an isolated country.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,785
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,648
    MayDay10 said:
    I think our administration/intelligence played this one as well as they could have played it.  They loudly and accurately called out every Russian move and bullshit before it happened.  Were proven right every time.  As a result, Putin's attempt at PR and any chance of any flimsy justification of this has been shot to shit.
    I would rather we have influence to stop a war rather than to predict one. We don’t have influence anymore.
    Gee, I wonder why?
    The US leadership over the last 30 years has deteriorated.  Republicans are crazy and the left doesn’t want to fund the military and would rather our military be politically correct over being prepared.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I think our administration/intelligence played this one as well as they could have played it.  They loudly and accurately called out every Russian move and bullshit before it happened.  Were proven right every time.  As a result, Putin's attempt at PR and any chance of any flimsy justification of this has been shot to shit.
    I would rather we have influence to stop a war rather than to predict one. We don’t have influence anymore.
    Gee, I wonder why?
    The US leadership over the last 30 years has deteriorated.  Republicans are crazy and the left doesn’t want to fund the military and would rather our military be politically correct over being prepared.
    The military here has more than enough money.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Outside of completely dropping the hammer - which should definitely not be ruled out here - they just have to make haste with making Russia an isolated country.
    What's the hammer to you, here? 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Gee, I wonder why?
    Yikes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,648
    edited February 2022
    China and Russia are the biggest problems the world faces.  I have said it over and over and over.  The left wonders why we spend so much on military.  It is because these other countries are and when the time comes have no interest in playing nice.

The US is getting weaker and weaker.
    Well how did we do when Trumpolinni was in charge wasn’t he the one to give the car keys to Putin in regards to Ukraine? Remember Helsinki who looked weak then? 
    So, somehow this is all Trump’s fault that Russia attacked?  My comment was focusing on the countries that are the aggressors.  We need to remember who the ones are that are doing the attacking, first.

Trump was part of the weakening of the US, for sure.  My anger is with China and Russia, my disappointment is with the US and the West.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,471
    So at what border will he stop at? 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    Gee, I wonder why?
    So you want us to go back to Obama era military spending?
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/272473/us-military-spending-from-2000-to-2012/

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    What's the hammer to you, here? 
    Bringing in soldiers that are not just Ukees. Having NATO command a no-fly zone over Ukraine, direct combat with which Russia cannot have the manpower or artillery to counteract.

And if they're actually fighting in Chernobyl right now then fuck it we're all going up in chem trails at that point.

Just saw a picture of a couple Russian soldiers (kids) captured. The one looks like a fucking child.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,828
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    De-stabilize Chernobyl?  Why would they do that?  That would pollute the air and water supply not just for Ukraine but for Belorussia and other allies of Russia. 

Regarding an assassination, I just think it's way too soon to do something like that.  That has major, major implications.  It's too early to call this WWIII.  Yes it's the biggest invasion since 45, but it's not a world war.  That's overhyped rhetoric I think. 
  • Options
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2022
    Putin is threatening with nuclear bombs if anyone interfere with his plans. He is like a psychopath.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    Putin is threatening with nuclear bombs if anyone interfere with his plans. He is like a psychopath.
    And Jimmy Åkesson can't pick between him and Joe Biden. Aint that cute
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    De-stabilize Chernobyl?  Why would they do that?  That would pollute the air and water supply not just for Ukraine but for Belorussia and other allies of Russia. 

Regarding an assassination, I just think it's way too soon to do something like that.  That has major, major implications.  It's too early to call this WWIII.  Yes it's the biggest invasion since 45, but it's not a world war.  That's overhyped rhetoric I think. 
    I'm saying it could lead to WWIII if unchecked, not that this invasion of Ukraine is itself WWIII
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,049
    edited February 2022
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Ridiculous to blame Biden for Putin's bullshit. If anything Putin is doing this to hurt Biden in hopes that puppetboy will get back in office.
    That’s also equally ridiculous. Purim’s actions aren’t Biden’s fault. And this isn’t a ploy to get Trump back. He’s power hungry and crazy.
    You can’t be certain of that! We don’t know how many talks Trumpolinni has had with Putin we just don’t know! Knowing all you know about our idiot ex-president would you put it past him? To do something as crazy as that? 
    Of course we can’t be certain on hypotheticals. Just like I’m not certain if Trump was in office Putin would still invade. But I believe that to be true. No one can b certain of that either. 
    And to suggest Trump has been planning this with Putin seems even crazier than before. For one, Biden’s polls are so low why would be do this now, even if he was up for it?
    Thats as crazy as any Qanon theory I’ve heard. 

Did Putin help elect Trump?
    Did Trump take Putin's side regarding Crimea?
    Did Trump take Putin's side regarding interfering in our election?
    Did Trump do whatever he could to weaken NATO at every turn?
    Did Trump want to invite Russia back into the G7 as recently as 2 years ago?
    Did Trump call Putin's absurd reasoning for invading Ukraine "genius"?

The answer is yes to all of the above but if you answered yes for even any of these questions, you'd see how your "hypothetical" scenario is yet another disingenuous argument on your behalf. If anything, it likely would've been easier for Putin to invade with Trump in office as Trump saw him as an ally instead of an adversary. And it makes even more sense for Putin to have Trump weaken NATO and divide the US further for four years. Putin was always going to invade Ukraine. 

Stop watching Tucker Carlson. 

I’m not sure your point. I said Putin would still invade if trump was in office. Then you go on this rant about how if Trump was in office he would have invaded and call me disingenuous. So this rant was agreeing me me? That’s why it’s confusing.
    And completely irrelevant to fox or Tucker. But I guess it makes you feel better throwing that in, even when we agree on something?
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,556
    edited February 2022
    static111 said:
    Look at a map. They are passing the area to get to Kyiv. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,828
    static111 said:
    Look at a map. They are going through the area to get to Kyiv. 
    Yes. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Look at a map. They are passing the area to get to Kyiv. 
    So they aren't trying to take control of Chernobyl? Just briskly passing by it on the way to smash the capitol? I mean obviously they are trying to take control of everything.  Why would the president make a big deal about Chernobyl if they are just passing it by?
    Scio me nihil scire