Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Should the news be reporting this before the president makes a decision? Kind of takes away the element of surprise.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,832
    static111 said:
    I'd say it's hard to not have anything leak anymore. Plus, my personal view on all this is I think being the ought most deliberate in every action taken is a good thing. 
  • Options
    Isn't cyberattacks an act of war?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I'd say Putin will perceive any slight of any type of encroachment as an act of war and/or an excuse to escalate.
  • Options
    I'd say Putin will perceive any slight of any type of encroachment as an act of war and/or an excuse to escalate.
    For some reason giving Ukraine military aid and deadly weapons is "accepted"... 

"war" is weird.

Biden speaks in 35 min.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Maybe if we hadn’t been in Iraq and had vacated Afghanistan after killing Osama, we could have had the stomach for dealing with Crimea in a more forceful way? Shit doesn’t happen in a vacuum.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,832
    23scidoo said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    NATO is a joke.. big..
    NATO has no right under its charter to deploy troops in Ukraine.  
    No right, or not bound to? Serious question.
    Well that's a good question.  Definitely not bound to do so.  Whether they have it in their charter to do so,  I don't know.  
    When NATO really did something for anyone??..can we forget Serbia or Cyprus??..
    I'm not sure what you mean by this.  It was the UN peacekeeping forces that did nothing in Bosnia.  Once Albright and Holbrooke forced the withdrawal of the UN forces in 95, it was replaced by a substantial NATO bombing campaign that reversed Pale Serb territory gains and forced them to the table for the Dayton Accords. NATOs bombing was absolutely crucial to ending the Serb genocide of the Muslims.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I do t understand all the intricacies of NATO. I don’t really even understand the point since the UN was made just a few years before. 
    I wouldnt think there’s anything preventing other countries from stepping in on their own, without the backing of NATO. But probably wanting to stay out of it in terms of feet on the ground until they are forced to. And that would be when one of the main members gets invaded. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Estonia gets invaded most of Europe thinks it’s not worth a war with Russia and not follow through.
    Ive been to Estonia twice, spent about 2 weeks each time. A really neat place with nice people and interesting history. It’s about 40% Russian because when Russia occupied it they just sent tons of people there. Apparently people would get a knock on their door in the middle of the night, told to board a train to Siberia, and gave their house to some Russians. Then 30 years later when the USSR fell, a lot came back trying to get their house and was a big mess. Really wouldn’t be surprised if Ukraine is successful for Putin that countries like that would be next. And one fear Estonians had when I was there was they are too small for the rest of Europe to really care about if/when Russia ever invaded.
    NATO is a military alliance formed as a bulwark to the USSR. It has its own army.  The UN is a diplomatic body,  the successor to the failed League of Nations that the US refused to join (even though it was Wilson's baby).
    But doesn’t the UN send in troops? I remember many of the American troops in the Middle East wearing UN uniforms.
    I gues NATO was targeted against the USSR and UN was just overall peace, but still seems a little redundant. Both are made of of its members, and any soldiers sent would be soldiers from individual countries.
    Their troops are technically peacekeeping. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    My company just sent out an email telling us to be vigilant because there's a heightened risk of a Russian cyber attack right now
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    rb173565rb173565 Posts: 106
    I don't understand why anyone in the U.S. or the U.K. has a problem with Russia entering Ukraine. all the rhetoric about going against the UN or breaking international law is exactly what the UK and US did when they invaded Iraq and killed a million citizens. 
    Maybe all Putin needs to do is say he thinks Ukraine has 'weapons of mass destruction'. Given that Iraq is thousands of miles from the US and UK and posed no threat AT ALL maybe Ukraine being on Russia's border its more justified.
    As a nation every person within the UK or US can just hush, your opinions hold no sway. the US and UK governments should be totally ashamed of all the crap they're spouting given their own fairly recent excursions in the middle east. Iraq, Syria, bullying Iran, drone strikes everywhere murdering civilians all the time, training, funding and weaponizing the taliban, isis, etc. its as if they don't know what hypocrisy is.
    As for the sanctions Russia stopped using the US dollar as a reserve currency last year and are pretty self sufficient due to all the previous sanctions imposed on them. And then there's the donations the tory party receive from Russian oligarchs. best stop all  that too i suppose!
    oh and the oil, Just who are the biggest importers of oil to the US, lets see, 1st place Canada followed closely by 2nd place (you guessed it) Russia. 
    maybe of course they could all just stop their cock waving because no one gives a fk about small men with big egos.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,130
    rb173565 said:
    I don't understand why anyone in the U.S. or the U.K. has a problem with Russia entering Ukraine. all the rhetoric about going against the UN or breaking international law is exactly what the UK and US did when they invaded Iraq and killed a million citizens. 
    Maybe all Putin needs to do is say he thinks Ukraine has 'weapons of mass destruction'. Given that Iraq is thousands of miles from the US and UK and posed no threat AT ALL maybe Ukraine being on Russia's border its more justified.
    As a nation every person within the UK or US can just hush, your opinions hold no sway. the US and UK governments should be totally ashamed of all the crap they're spouting given their own fairly recent excursions in the middle east. Iraq, Syria, bullying Iran, drone strikes everywhere murdering civilians all the time, training, funding and weaponizing the taliban, isis, etc. its as if they don't know what hypocrisy is.
    As for the sanctions Russia stopped using the US dollar as a reserve currency last year and are pretty self sufficient due to all the previous sanctions imposed on them. And then there's the donations the tory party receive from Russian oligarchs. best stop all  that too i suppose!
    oh and the oil, Just who are the biggest importers of oil to the US, lets see, 1st place Canada followed closely by 2nd place (you guessed it) Russia. 
    maybe of course they could all just stop their cock waving because no one gives a fk about small men with big egos.
    given your previous take on Kaleigh McEneny being the brains of the trump admin, and future president, I'll just scroll on by this post....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rb173565 said:
    No one here defends the invasion of Iraq.  So why wouldn't we condemn the invasion of Ukraine.  Thanks for the view from the Kremlin though. 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,847
    rb173565 said:

There's no defending the US invasion of Iraq, but it didn't threaten the stability of Europe and the world.
    You can't compare the two with that argument.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I cannot endorse the 'Ignore' button within this site enough. It's an amazing thing.
  • Options
    I cannot endorse the 'Ignore' button within this site enough. It's an amazing thing.
    Actually it sucks because you're only allowed to have five people on ignore. I can't tell ya how many times I've clicked to ignore someone only to get an error message saying I've already ignored five. Then I have to go into those five, determine who's least annoying, and unignore them so I can ignore someone new. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Actually it sucks because you're only allowed to have five people on ignore. I can't tell ya how many times I've clicked to ignore someone only to get an error message saying I've already ignored five. Then I have to go into those five, determine who's least annoying, and unignore them so I can ignore someone new. 
    Wait whaaa? I'm limited to 5? Kat @Sea? Say what now?
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    People putting other people on ignore are the weirdest people.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    edited February 2022
    Wait whaaa? I'm limited to 5? Kat @Sea? Say what now?
    Yeah it'll say "You have reached the maximum number of ignores" in the bottom left of the screen if you try to ignore someone when you already have five people on ignore. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com