Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,276
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,276

Ukraine attack leaves Baltics wondering: Are we next?
    By LIUDAS DAPKUS and KARL RITTER
    Today

VILNIUS, Lithuania (AP) — Viewed from Paris, London and Washington, the events unfolding in Ukraine may seem like a new Cold War taking shape in Europe.

From the Baltic countries, it looks much worse.

To Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians — particularly those old enough to have lived under Soviet control — Russia’s belligerence toward Ukraine has some worried that they could be the next target. The tensions have brought back memories of mass deportations and oppression.

“My grandparents were sent away to Siberia. My father was persecuted by the KGB. Now I live in a free democratic country, but it seems that nothing can be taken for granted,” said Jaunius Kazlauskas, a 50-year-old teacher in Vilnius, Lithuania’s capital.

All three Baltic countries were seized and annexed by Stalin during World War II before gaining independence again with the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991. They joined NATO in 2004, putting themselves under the military protection of the U.S. and its Western allies. Ukraine is not part of NATO.

The Baltic countries and Poland, also a NATO member, have been among the loudest advocates for powerful sanctions against Moscow and NATO reinforcements on the alliance’s eastern flank. Baltic government leaders in recent weeks have shuttled to European capitals, warning that the West must make Russian President Vladimir Putin pay for attacking Ukraine, or else his tanks will keep rolling toward other parts of the former Soviet empire.

continues...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    This is what happens when a former KGB agent dictator rules a country. How will this end? 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,416
    Trumpolinni refused military aid to Ukraine to please and make it easier for his man crush to invade! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I can’t wait for the “ I stand with Putin tshirts all the MAGA cultist will be sporting this summer or maybe they’ll brake them out this weekend down in Florida
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,766
    He's right, but you're right too.  The irony is thick. 

In a sad way, I am not angry at Bush.  He was really the ultimate patsy.  He was too heavily influenced by the neocons in his administration.  My disdain for Rumseld, Cheney, Abrams, Wolfowitz, etc. continues unabated.  But George has just retired to his finger painting.  That's good. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    Ridiculous to blame Biden for Putin's bullshit. If anything Putin is doing this to hurt Biden in hopes that puppetboy will get back in office.
    That’s also equally ridiculous. Purim’s actions aren’t Biden’s fault. And this isn’t a ploy to get Trump back. He’s power hungry and crazy.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,027
    yeah, attacking another country to put a preferred US president back in office seems like a stretch at best. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    He's right, but you're right too.  The irony is thick. 

In a sad way, I am not angry at Bush.  He was really the ultimate patsy.  He was too heavily influenced by the neocons in his administration.  My disdain for Rumseld, Cheney, Abrams, Wolfowitz, etc. continues unabated.  But George has just retired to his finger painting.  That's good. 
    He should have done his finger painting in a prison cell.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Well I guess we don't have to debate on if this is a "minor incursion" or not.  I'm not a fan of war at all.  Can't we geolocate Putin and drone attack him to death bring this to a swift conclusion.  I mean the possibility of him going nuclear is always there.  What do you do against a nuclear power with nothing to lose?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,622
    edited February 2022
    China and Russia are the biggest problems the world faces.  I have said it over and over and over.  The left wonders why we spend so much on military.  It is because these other countries are and when the time comes have no interest in playing nice.

The US is getting weaker and weaker.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Ridiculous to blame Biden for Putin's bullshit. If anything Putin is doing this to hurt Biden in hopes that puppetboy will get back in office.
    That’s also equally ridiculous. Purim’s actions aren’t Biden’s fault. And this isn’t a ploy to get Trump back. He’s power hungry and crazy.
    You can’t be certain of that! We don’t know how many talks Trumpolinni has had with Putin we just don’t know! Knowing all you know about our idiot ex-president would you put it past him? To do something as crazy as that? 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    I think our administration/intelligence played this one as well as they could have played it.  They loudly and accurately called out every Russian move and bullshit before it happened.  Were proven right every time.  As a result, Putin's attempt at PR and any chance of any flimsy justification of this has been shot to shit.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,826
    MayDay10 said:
    I think our administration/intelligence played this one as well as they could have played it.  They loudly and accurately called out every Russian move and bullshit before it happened.  Were proven right every time.  As a result, Putin's attempt at PR and any chance of any flimsy justification of this has been shot to shit.
    ^ This right here.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,418
    edited February 2022
    MayDay10 said:
    Saw an article about how people online this time around could destroy Russians attempts at fakery in real time. 

His "pretext PR" or justification would have been transparent anyway. He could have gone in without any try at justification, and we would be at the same place as we are now.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,622
    MayDay10 said:
    I would rather we have influence to stop a war rather than to predict one. We don’t have influence anymore.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    edited February 2022
    mace1229 said:
    You can’t be certain of that! We don’t know how many talks Trumpolinni has had with Putin we just don’t know! Knowing all you know about our idiot ex-president would you put it past him? To do something as crazy as that? 
    Of course we can’t be certain on hypotheticals. Just like I’m not certain if Trump was in office Putin would still invade. But I believe that to be true. No one can b certain of that either. 
    And to suggest Trump has been planning this with Putin seems even crazier than before. For one, Biden’s polls are so low why would be do this now, even if he was up for it?
    Thats as crazy as any Qanon theory I’ve heard. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    China and Russia are the biggest problems the world faces.  I have said it over and over and over.  The left wonders why we spend so much on military.  It is because these other countries are and when the time comes have no interest in playing nice.

The US is getting weaker and weaker.
    If our military budget continues to grow (it does), why are we getting weaker and weaker?
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I would rather we have influence to stop a war rather than to predict one. We don’t have influence anymore.
    When would you have had this influence to stop Russia with nuclear bombs going crazy -- in a significantly different way than now? 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,463
    Thinking about Ukrainian people, Im Croatian American....I was 10 when the War started over there with many many relatives in bomb shelters and my folks stressed out trying to make contact

War is hell, to start one under these circumstances is absurd
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    We rallied our allies.  You think that was easy?  The West is united.  The entire EU is there, along with the whole of the UN except China and Russia.  We didn't have enough influence to stop Milosovic in the 90's, Putin in 2007 and 2014 and not today.  The point is, there's no such thing as enough influence to stop a war that someone is committed to having.