Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,130
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    static111 said:
    I'm thinking Putin may want to start WWIII just so he can try to shake up the geopolitical alliances.  I don'y see this stopping with Ukraine and I don't see a reason for just taking over Ukraine. He and his cronies are already rich and getting richer.  I think the goal may just be complete Geo Political destabilization.  
    The only thing I’ve heard to support him stopping at Ukraine is NATO. Since they aren’t part of it, there won’t be as much reassurance. But invade another country, there would be.
    But why not stop him swiftly now. Because Ukraine isn't officially a part of NATO.  They are still our allies.  it seems weak to not respond as forcefully as if this were a NATO member nation.
    unfortunately, there are rules to this "game" that the good guys have to adhere to, and the bad guys don't. 
    A recipe for the bad guys to win.  What am I doing listening to a Qtrumpublican anyway...
    LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,333
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    NATO is a joke.. big..
    NATO has no right under its charter to deploy troops in Ukraine.  
    Putin knows NATO isn't a joke or he wouldn't be so concerned over Ukraine joining them. He wants to take it back before they have full authorized backing as a member.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    NATO is a joke.. big..
    No right, or not bound to? Serious question.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,630
    The best hope is this turns on Putin and he loses power.  People of Russia need to rise up.  Fuck this guy
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,832
    edited February 2022
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    NATO is a joke.. big..
    Well that's a good question.  Definitely not bound to do so.  Whether they have it in their charter to do so,  I don't know.  
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,832
    edited February 2022
    This is what I was reading, too - gotta find the picture of the one soldier with their head bandaged basically saying, "look we had no idea we were going to go after anyone. This was all recon."
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,333
    This is interesting to me, coupled with that other story about the Russian troops who surrendered already. Was this a half-measure to try and get the west to take a more aggressive response and justify further escalation by Putin and Russia? 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    tbergs said:
    This is interesting to me, coupled with that other story about the Russian troops who surrendered already. Was this a half-measure to try and get the west to take a more aggressive response and justify further escalation by Putin and Russia? 
    That is a good theory. Hopefully the whole army surrenders.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,064
    edited February 2022
    I do t understand all the intricacies of NATO. I don’t really even understand the point since the UN was made just a few years before. 
    I wouldnt think there’s anything preventing other countries from stepping in on their own, without the backing of NATO. But probably wanting to stay out of it in terms of feet on the ground until they are forced to. And that would be when one of the main members gets invaded. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Estonia gets invaded most of Europe thinks it’s not worth a war with Russia and not follow through.
    Ive been to Estonia twice, spent about 2 weeks each time. A really neat place with nice people and interesting history. It’s about 40% Russian because when Russia occupied it they just sent tons of people there. Apparently people would get a knock on their door in the middle of the night, told to board a train to Siberia, and gave their house to some Russians. Then 30 years later when the USSR fell, a lot came back trying to get their house and was a big mess. Really wouldn’t be surprised if Ukraine is successful for Putin that countries like that would be next. And one fear Estonians had when I was there was they are too small for the rest of Europe to really care about if/when Russia ever invaded.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    NATO is a joke.. big..
    Well that's a good question.  Definitely not bound to do so.  Whether they have it in their charter to do so,  I don't know.  
    Quick Google search shows NATO involvement in wars not protecting NATO members. So my uneducated guess is they can get involved if they really wanted too.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I do t understand all the intricacies of NATO. I don’t really even understand the point since the UN was made just a few years before. 
    I wouldnt think there’s anything preventing other countries from stepping in on their own, without the backing of NATO. But probably wanting to stay out of it in terms of feet on the ground until they are forced to. And that would be when one of the main members gets invaded. I wouldn’t even be surprised if Estonia gets invaded most of Europe thinks it’s not worth a war with Russia and not follow through.
    Ive been to Estonia twice, spent about 2 weeks each time. A really neat place with nice people and interesting history. It’s about 40% Russian because when Russia occupied it they just sent tons of people there. Apparently people would get a knock on their door in the middle of the night, told to board a train to Siberia, and gave their house to some Russians. Then 30 years later when the USSR fell, a lot came back trying to get their house and was a big mess. Really wouldn’t be surprised if Ukraine is successful for Putin that countries like that would be next. And one fear Estonians had when I was there was they are too small for the rest of Europe to really care about if/when Russia ever invaded.
    NATO is a military alliance formed as a bulwark to the USSR. It has its own army.  The UN is a diplomatic body,  the successor to the failed League of Nations that the US refused to join (even though it was Wilson's baby).
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,166
    edited February 2022

holy shit...too bad Russians don't get to see this
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    Romney was right in 2012, Obama was wrong.  Subtle dig,  but a dig 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    yeah, I read a piece this morning on CNN.com that talked about this very thing, the thing that may have sunk Romney's bid against Obama, but he was right all along. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Makes you wonder if we would be here now if we had taken Russia seriously earlier. Oh well hindsight and all that
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    static111 said:
    yeah, I read a piece this morning on CNN.com that talked about this very thing, the thing that may have sunk Romney's bid against Obama, but he was right all along. 
    Haha.. nah.  It was a few things and this wasn't it I don't believe.  It was "Binders of women" and then the secretly recorded dinner with his comment about 48% takers or whatever.  Plus people loved Barack and Michelle.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Haha.. nah.  It was a few things and this wasn't it I don't believe.  It was "Binders of women" and then the secretly recorded dinner with his comment about 48% takers or whatever.  Plus people loved Barack and Michelle.  
    haha, I forgot about the binders full of women. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

UK sanctions:

All major Russian banks will have their assets frozen and will be excluded from the UK financial system. This will stop them from accessing sterling and clearing payments through the UK. This includes a full and immediate freeze of VTB bank

Legislation will stop major Russian companies and the state from raising finance or borrowing money on UK markets

Asset freezes will be put on 100 new individuals or entities

The Aeroflot airline will be banned from landing in the UK

There will be a suspension of dual use export licences to cover things which can be used for military purposes

Within days the UK will stop exports of hi-tech items and oil refinery equipment

There will be a limit on deposits Russians can make to UK bank accounts

He says there is potential to cut Russia out from Swift payments and "nothing is off the table"

Similar financial sanctions will be extended to Belarus for its role in the assault on Ukraine

The UK will bring forward parts of the economic crime bill before the Easter recess

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    I forgot about the binders lol
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,793
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    23scidoo said:
    NATO is a joke.. big..
    When NATO really did something for anyone??..can we forget Serbia or Cyprus??..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:
    NATO is a military alliance formed as a bulwark to the USSR. It has its own army.  The UN is a diplomatic body,  the successor to the failed League of Nations that the US refused to join (even though it was Wilson's baby).
    But doesn’t the UN send in troops? I remember many of the American troops in the Middle East wearing UN uniforms.
    I gues NATO was targeted against the USSR and UN was just overall peace, but still seems a little redundant. Both are made of of its members, and any soldiers sent would be soldiers from individual countries.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,501
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    Makes you wonder if we would be here now if we had taken Russia seriously earlier. Oh well hindsight and all that
    Romney was right all along. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The most breaking news about this is there’s still staff at Chernobyl? Who wants control of that?