Options

This thread must stay alive. Forever.

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,814
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    I thought McConnell's statement would get more traction from this crowd.  I still can't believe he actually said that.
    honestly I didn't see this one as a big deal. I think he just missed saying "other" or "fellow" before "Americans". 
    Not a big deal? Wow! Can't believe you just said that.
    I agree with Hugh.  While it sounds really bad, I do not think it was some slip...just came out different then it should have.  WHich tends to happen when you you talk on camera a lot.  

I completely understand it being in this thread cause it is a head scratching comment for sure...
    he's mocking me because of my reaction to Gern's "not a big deal" about biden saying that "you ain't black" quote. he's trying to portray that I'm hypocritical in some way. I see them as completely different statements, but whatever. 
    we agree on McConnell's statement...not sure why we don't on Biden's
    Is calling someone “black” acceptable? I was scolded here a few years ago and had my post changed by the mods to “person of color”. I’m legitimately asking
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    I thought McConnell's statement would get more traction from this crowd.  I still can't believe he actually said that.
    honestly I didn't see this one as a big deal. I think he just missed saying "other" or "fellow" before "Americans". 
    I agree with Hugh.  While it sounds really bad, I do not think it was some slip...just came out different then it should have.  WHich tends to happen when you you talk on camera a lot.  

I completely understand it being in this thread cause it is a head scratching comment for sure...
    he's mocking me because of my reaction to Gern's "not a big deal" about biden saying that "you ain't black" quote. he's trying to portray that I'm hypocritical in some way. I see them as completely different statements, but whatever. 
    Is calling someone “black” acceptable? I was scolded here a few years ago and had my post changed by the mods to “person of color”. I’m legitimately asking
    This really happened?!?! The mods edited your post from "black person" to "person of color?"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    “I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets inside the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that.”

This one I watched live and was wondering how they right was going to defend this turd...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

No idea....I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't believe that Af-americans are offended by it.

My grandma used to call them "coloreds" which we still kind of cringe at but that's what she grew up with
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

No idea....I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't believe that Af-americans are offended by it.

My grandma used to call them "coloreds" which we still kind of cringe at but that's what she grew up with
    I agree but what do I know. I never want to come of as offensive. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

I'm not mocking you. It appears you and others are minimizing an overtly racist comment from McConnell. Has nothing to do with Biden's remark.
    it's open to interpretation. mine is that it wasn't overt at all. I like to think I know an overtly racist comment, and that wasn't it, in my opinion.  I could see how it would be seen that way, especially how evil many (myself included) view him. I just tend to think of things like this in this manner: if Biden had said that, would it get the same outrage? or would it be explained away as a gaffe? My guess is the latter. 

and even if you weren't referencing my reaction to gern's reaction to Biden's remark, I don't consider "you ain't black" as a simple gaffe. I don't think it was racist. I think it was an incredibly out of touch and stupid thing to say. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

I think it depends largely on wording. If you said "black people", I think that's fine. If you had worded it "the blacks", I've been told that is considered in bad taste. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

I've never heard of referring to a person as "black" unacceptable. 
    I know language is fluid and changes, but it would really help things if we could agree on terms referring to heritage.   Even "race" is deemed improper because there is only one human race.  Not a bad point, but we have said "race" when referring to people of differing heritage for so long it's hard to change that one.
    Asian used to be "Oriental".  I think we have finally established "Asian" as the proper term, but I still hear "Oriental" now and them.
    "Negro" was nearly universal up through the mid 1960's, even among African Americans.  With the Black Power movement, "Negro" became looked down on almost as the "N word".  Black was the go-to accepted term.  In the 80's, African American became the accepted term.  I tend to still say "Black" because people like Cornel West still do.
    Native America/Indian/American Indian/First Nations/Specific Tribes is the most difficult.  Indigenous people seems the most logical to me.

Language is a bitch.  But I might get called out on using the term "bitch"!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

I think it depends largely on wording. If you said "black people", I think that's fine. If you had worded it "the blacks", I've been told that is considered in bad taste. 
    Lol. I definitely didn’t say the blacks. I definitely  know that’s not a good look. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Weighing in on “you ain’t black” vs the McConnell quote, the Biden quote is a worse slip of the tongue to me. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

Lol. I definitely didn’t say the blacks. I definitely  know that’s not a good look. 
    then I have no clue why the mods would have edited it. that's weird. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Hearing y'all just mention the term "the blacks" cracks me up.  It's so far out of kilter to use a term like that especially in this vanilla group.
  • Options
    Hearing y'all just mention the term "the blacks" cracks me up.  It's so far out of kilter to use a term like that especially in this vanilla group.

It's because we learn from our greatest leaders:

'The blacks,' 'the gays,' 'the Muslims' — linguists explain one of Donald Trump's most unusual speech tics

Notice anything unusual about the following Donald Trump quotes?

"People don't know how well we're doing with the Hispanics, the Latinos."

"I have a great relationship with the blacks. I've always had a great relationship with the blacks."

"I love the Muslims. I think they're great people."

"Ask the gays what they think and what they do."

"I will be phenomenal to the women."

:lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    One problem I'm seeing with this thread is like of citation. 
    I'm beginning to think starting this thread was a mistake.
    You think that at some point about nearly all of your threads, though. :rofl:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    One problem I'm seeing with this thread is like of citation. 
    I'm beginning to think starting this thread was a mistake.
    You think that at some point about nearly all of your threads, though. :rofl:

Sad, but true.  :lol:

• Options
    brianlux said:

It's because we learn from our greatest leaders:

'The blacks,' 'the gays,' 'the Muslims' — linguists explain one of Donald Trump's most unusual speech tics

Notice anything unusual about the following Donald Trump quotes?

"People don't know how well we're doing with the Hispanics, the Latinos."

"I have a great relationship with the blacks. I've always had a great relationship with the blacks."

"I love the Muslims. I think they're great people."

"Ask the gays what they think and what they do."

"I will be phenomenal to the women."

:lol:

"The Gays" hahahahaha!  OMG that is so pig headed.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,124
    I like this thread
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    "Do you mind if we dance with your dates?"
    YARN  Do you mind if we dance with your dates  Animal House 1978   Video gifs by quotes  2f63f852
  • Options
    Guess who said it?

“If I die, I die, but I’m not going to be controlled,”
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,175
    Hobbes said:
    When Fabio said that thing about it not being butter. I'm still in disbelief.
    damn i was just looking for a fabio quote!!! lol
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    When Fabio said that thing about it not being butter. I'm still in disbelief.
    damn i was just looking for a fabio quote!!! lol
    Fabio was also in the Jill Sobule I kissed a Girl music video.
  • Options
    The new trend is to complain every time tRump is mentioned. As if he isn't in the news every day.
    trend? i thought this was the new forum rule?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    brianlux said:
    i think we all can believe he said it. he said the quiet part out loud again.

• Options
    I like this thread
    i can't believe you said that!!!!

i kid, haha

• Options
    I like this thread
    i can't believe you said that!!!!

i kid, haha
    I wish we could just have a like button for posts.  Don;t have to put a dislike...but something to acknowledge without having to respond.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    i can't believe he said that!! in the middle of a war!!!

part i am referring to starts at 3:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXUbQ4JjXI

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,450
    RATM

"Yeah I'm rollin' down Rodeo wit a shotgun
    These people ain't seen a brown skin man
    Since their grandparents bought one"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

I'm not mocking you. It appears you and others are minimizing an overtly racist comment from McConnell. Has nothing to do with Biden's remark.
    So you really think he meant to not include blacks as part of America in a statement? That seems more reasonable than just forgetting to include 1 word, in what would have been a comment that very much makes sense?
    To me it’s a no brained that he meant to say the black vote percentage is nearly the same as America as a whole. And there is nothing racist about that. 
    I can’t believe anyone actually thinks he meant to say what he did.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

If you go back and look at our PM exchange from February 2020, you'll remember that you did not use the word "black." I appreciated your thanks for the edit at the time too. :) Stay safe. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    “All the records in possession of the federal government have already been turned over to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation in Winnipeg,”  Justin Trudeau October 2021

This week - 875,000 pages of documents regarding the government-funded and church-ran residential schools used to assimilate indigenous youth in Canada was finally provided to the NCTR. 
    Is it any wonder no one trusts politicians anymore? 
    I'd like to know the full context of this (source?). I honestly don't trust the media any more than I trust politicians these days. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.