Options

This thread must stay alive. Forever.

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    the true confederate flag should be plain and white. a surrender flag.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    the true confederate flag should be plain and white. 
    In the shape of a robe and hood
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    Poncier said:
    the true confederate flag should be plain and white. 
    In the shape of a robe and hood

oof, that rings a lot true....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    brianlux said:
    Haha, I read this thread when it only had the first post.  I thought to myself ‘this will go poorly’.

Liberals will try to defend stupid comments by liberals, and conservatives will try to defend stupid comments by conservatives.  A nice experiment in human nature here.

Well of course anyone would think it will go poorly.  I made the damn thing and figured it would go poorly..  It's AMT, lol.

Regarding your second statement, that seems normal to me.  I mean really, how many Trump fans are going so say something good about a statement made by Biden or visa versa?  How many McConnell fans (is there such a thing?) are going to say something good about a Pelosi statement?  Totally natural in this polarized nation.  And as long a Republicans continue to side with Trump, I think it has to stay polarized.  How could it not?

that's the problem. they should. they used to. people are just no longer willing to the let the "other side" score a point. or their side concede a point. it's ridiculous. there are people here who call me a trudeau fan boy/cultist, which is utterly preposterous. I'll be the first to admit he's had several gaffes and has lied (or has been incompetent/ignorant-not sure which is worse at that level). I voted for him, yet I'll own that shit. It's weird how people think they are losing something by admitting "their guy" fucked up. Justin has fucked up a LOT. 

sometimes I even agree with Theo Fleury (who is nuts-no fault of his own) that trudeau just wasn't ready for the job. 

I've given trump credit for good things he's done (I honestly can't recall what it was, but there was SOMETHING LOL). and biden deserves criticism. 

I guess that's why so many people in the middle like me get so disengaged from politics. it's too exhausting listening to the people who treat politicians as gods/devils on either side. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    brianlux said:
    Haha, I read this thread when it only had the first post.  I thought to myself ‘this will go poorly’.

Liberals will try to defend stupid comments by liberals, and conservatives will try to defend stupid comments by conservatives.  A nice experiment in human nature here.

Well of course anyone would think it will go poorly.  I made the damn thing and figured it would go poorly..  It's AMT, lol.

Regarding your second statement, that seems normal to me.  I mean really, how many Trump fans are going so say something good about a statement made by Biden or visa versa?  How many McConnell fans (is there such a thing?) are going to say something good about a Pelosi statement?  Totally natural in this polarized nation.  And as long a Republicans continue to side with Trump, I think it has to stay polarized.  How could it not?

that's the problem. they should. they used to. people are just no longer willing to the let the "other side" score a point. or their side concede a point. it's ridiculous. there are people here who call me a trudeau fan boy/cultist, which is utterly preposterous. I'll be the first to admit he's had several gaffes and has lied (or has been incompetent/ignorant-not sure which is worse at that level). I voted for him, yet I'll own that shit. It's weird how people think they are losing something by admitting "their guy" fucked up. Justin has fucked up a LOT. 

sometimes I even agree with Theo Fleury (who is nuts-no fault of his own) that trudeau just wasn't ready for the job. 

I've given trump credit for good things he's done (I honestly can't recall what it was, but there was SOMETHING LOL). and biden deserves criticism. 

I guess that's why so many people in the middle like me get so disengaged from politics. it's too exhausting listening to the people who treat politicians as gods/devils on either side. 
    Well said. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    you are making a whole host of assumptions here, so have a fine day. 
    😂
    I’m making a whole host of assumptions hey. From the guy who “assumed” it was government “red tape”  (not surprisingly… it wasn’t).  

I didn't assume that. I posted it as a possibility. if it wasn't the case, fine. you seem to think you know, but again, won't post sources. I don't waste time on claims without sources. especially when I'm attacked personally for simply asking for them.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    brianlux said:

In theory, I totally agree.  Looking back over the last several decades, both sides of the isle used to work together on issues.  I posted a graphic here a year or two ago (unfortunately can't find it now) that illustrates this.  That was a good thing.
    But the problem is, how do you reach across the isle to Trump supporters?  I honestly don't know. 
    I'm certainly not opposed to criticizing Biden.  In general, I think he's doing an OK job under the circumstances (but he's being thwarted at every turn).  I'm not 100% pro Dem or 100% anti Republican (I like some of the things the Lincoln Project stand for).  I'm not 100% Liberal or 100% anti-Conservative. 
    But coming together with Trump people is just not something I know how to do. 
    As for your last statement, I get it!  I think a lot of us are fed up with the whole mess.  It has to change or were screwed.  ALL of us!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    AS evidence of what I said above, I spend a lot more time on AET or Other Music this days.  They are so much more digestible.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

That’s funny.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Trudeau’s brother died in November, truth and reconciliation day is September 30th.  Trudeau’s brother died skiing in the Kokanee Lake area…Trudeau spent truth and reconciliation day in Tofino on Vancouver Island…quite a distance from where his brother died I would say.  No,  Trudeau was doing what he’s been doing, taking personnel days  and vacation instead of actually leading…but he’s selfish…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    you are making a whole host of assumptions here, so have a fine day. 
    😂
    I’m making a whole host of assumptions hey. From the guy who “assumed” it was government “red tape”  (not surprisingly… it wasn’t).  

I didn't assume that. I posted it as a possibility. if it wasn't the case, fine. you seem to think you know, but again, won't post sources. I don't waste time on claims without sources. especially when I'm attacked personally for simply asking for them.
    First of all… why do I have to post sources? You don’t trust journalists so what good would that do? If you want to fact check, do your own homework, I have better things to do.
  • Options
    Trudeau’s brother died in November, truth and reconciliation day is September 30th.  Trudeau’s brother died skiing in the Kokanee Lake area…Trudeau spent truth and reconciliation day in Tofino on Vancouver Island…quite a distance from where his brother died I would say.  No,  Trudeau was doing what he’s been doing, taking personnel days  and vacation instead of actually leading…but he’s selfish…
    Agreed. Once again, can’t believe he looked right at the journalist and lied about releasing all documents. He knew damn well 875,000 pages were not released due to, get this, a threat to national security. The clown show in Ottawa continues.
  • Options
    Agreed. Once again, can’t believe he looked right at the journalist and lied about releasing all documents. He knew damn well 875,000 pages were not released due to, get this, a threat to national security. The clown show in Ottawa continues.
    Lying is easy for Trudeau.  He either used his brothers death to cove for his lies, or someone within his circle did.  Who does that?  A morally and ethically bankrupt human…The Trudeau family has no morals.  23 days into the year and Trudeau is taking his 16th personal day.  He is so lazy…

and let’s remember Trudeau gave the media 650 million bailout, that was not needed…they’ve been covering for his incompetence since 2015…and the cbc, a branch of the liberal government get 1.5 billion a year..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    "For you to come on my property and accuse me of something that absolutely has nothing to do with that Confederate flag except for my daughter’s heritage and my heritage is absolutely wrong.”

So she’s in high school and works in a jail?

Growing up that flag meant you were a fan of Dukes of Hazzard. Pretty sure I saw it on lunch boxes. But that was the 80s.
    If she’s not making a statement, then she’s out of touch and ignorant to how that symbol is perceived by so many others today. You’d have to be pretty dumb to not understand that.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,148

That’s funny.  

Except US conservatives these days are full on supporting an autocrat and have no problem exchanging their liberty for autocracy.

if “independents” cant see thru the “both sides” filter at this juncture we’ll be required to salute the elites in public soon. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    mace1229 said:
    "For you to come on my property and accuse me of something that absolutely has nothing to do with that Confederate flag except for my daughter’s heritage and my heritage is absolutely wrong.”

So she’s in high school and works in a jail?

Growing up that flag meant you were a fan of Dukes of Hazzard. Pretty sure I saw it on lunch boxes. But that was the 80s.
    If she’s not making a statement, then she’s out of touch and ignorant to how that symbol is perceived by so many others today. You’d have to be pretty dumb to not understand that.
    She went to prom a few years ago.
    Someone found the picture and posted it because she's supposedly at the local police academy. 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    “I think it’s highly recorded now, there’s 150 I believe now, it’s over 100 professional athletes dead – professional athletes – the prime of their life, dropping dead that are vaccinated, right on the pitch, right on the field, right on the court,” Stockton said in the interview.

John Stockton's defiance of COVID-19 mask mandate forces Gonzaga to suspend NBA Hall of Famer's basketball season tickets | The Spokesman-Review
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Hobbes said:
    “I think it’s highly recorded now, there’s 150 I believe now, it’s over 100 professional athletes dead – professional athletes – the prime of their life, dropping dead that are vaccinated, right on the pitch, right on the field, right on the court,” Stockton said in the interview.

John Stockton's defiance of COVID-19 mask mandate forces Gonzaga to suspend NBA Hall of Famer's basketball season tickets | The Spokesman-Review
    I’d love to see his source for that. I bet it’s a treasure trove of idiocy.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    edited January 2022
    DewieCox said:
    Hobbes said:

I’d love to see his source for that. I bet it’s a treasure trove of idiocy.
    joe rogan?
    alex jones?
    fuQer Qarlson?
    Aaron rodgers?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

love to ask,  ok then what does that mean to you, southern heritage.

AND that flag is specific to the army of virginia, adopted at the start of the civil war. where the attempted succesion states clearly state in their letters of succession AND the csa constitution it was about slavery.

AND missouri was admitted as the last slave state. THAT is your heritage.

There are so many people that view that flag as just "southern".  They don't look at it as racist because that isn't what it means to them.

Are they wrong?  I think so.  If you could turn it into something positive though why not do that?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I could never imagine being a “fan” of a politician.  It’s a strange world to me. 
    It's so fucking weird. Bumper stickers and yard signs (close to an election) seem fairly normal but flags? Hats and shirts?

I passed merch tents for tRump near my neighborhood selling all kinds of bizarre tRump stuff.  Really fucking weird
    There is a guy in his corolla that sells Trump flags and F Biden flags.

The F Biden stuff to me is classless.  To openly display the F word in public?  stupes...
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

In theory, I totally agree.  Looking back over the last several decades, both sides of the isle used to work together on issues.  I posted a graphic here a year or two ago (unfortunately can't find it now) that illustrates this.  That was a good thing.
    But the problem is, how do you reach across the isle to Trump supporters?  I honestly don't know. 
    I'm certainly not opposed to criticizing Biden.  In general, I think he's doing an OK job under the circumstances (but he's being thwarted at every turn).  I'm not 100% pro Dem or 100% anti Republican (I like some of the things the Lincoln Project stand for).  I'm not 100% Liberal or 100% anti-Conservative. 
    But coming together with Trump people is just not something I know how to do. 
    As for your last statement, I get it!  I think a lot of us are fed up with the whole mess.  It has to change or were screwed.  ALL of us!
    exactly....it's impossible. They attack the media even though a lot of the organizations they attack are reputable news sources. They refuse to acknowledge tRump's abuse of power and the emoluments clause. They refuse to acknowledge the hypocrisy of criticizing politicians for behavior that tRump himself carried out.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    brianlux said:

I could never imagine being a “fan” of a politician.  It’s a strange world to me. 
    It's so fucking weird. Bumper stickers and yard signs (close to an election) seem fairly normal but flags? Hats and shirts?

I passed merch tents for tRump near my neighborhood selling all kinds of bizarre tRump stuff.  Really fucking weird
    There is a guy in his corolla that sells Trump flags and F Biden flags.

The F Biden stuff to me is classless.  To openly display the F word in public?  stupes...
    There is a guy in my neighborhood that has a "F**K Biden" flag. I guess he thinks the asterisks are acceptable. 

Really classless
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    mickeyrat said:

AND that flag is specific to the army of virginia, adopted at the start of the civil war. where the attempted succesion states clearly state in their letters of succession AND the csa constitution it was about slavery.

There are so many people that view that flag as just "southern".  They don't look at it as racist because that isn't what it means to them.

Are they wrong?  I think so.  If you could turn it into something positive though why not do that?
    Of course they’re wrong. They’ve had 150+ years to change what it stands for and they’ve doubled and tripled down on it through the decades. Ship has sailed.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:

Of course they’re wrong. They’ve had 150+ years to change what it stands for and they’ve doubled and tripled down on it through the decades. Ship has sailed.
    Again, they don't view it as a race thing, some do but a bunch do not.

Remember when it was on the General Lee?  It was just a flag on a car.  It had zero to do w race.

I'm just trying to get across that there are a bunch of people that see it as a southern thing and can care less about it's role as being racist.
  • Options
    Willful ignorance isn’t an excuse.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:

Remember when it was on the General Lee?  It was just a flag on a car.  It had zero to do w race.

I'm just trying to get across that there are a bunch of people that see it as a southern thing and can care less about it's role as being racist.
    I touched on that earlier. And I agree it’s not always about race for some people. But To do that in the 80s is one thing.  To do it today and not know it’s offensive would just be dumb.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Willful ignorance isn’t an excuse.
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:

I touched on that earlier. And I agree it’s not always about race for some people. But To do that in the 80s is one thing.  To do it today and not know it’s offensive would just be dumb.
    I too never saw it as a hate symbol until the past few years when it got more news about it.
  • Options
    It was probably the least hateful when it was originally flown and the fact that it was used by southern chase sympathizers has been buried and dug up multiple times. At this point, if you’re waving it or complaining about its removal it’s because you’re a bigot. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    edited January 2022
    Found the perfect quote for this thread...

Post edited by Kat on
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.