Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    edited January 2022
    Kat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    I thought McConnell's statement would get more traction from this crowd.  I still can't believe he actually said that.
    honestly I didn't see this one as a big deal. I think he just missed saying "other" or "fellow" before "Americans". 
    Not a big deal? Wow! Can't believe you just said that.
    I agree with Hugh.  While it sounds really bad, I do not think it was some slip...just came out different then it should have.  WHich tends to happen when you you talk on camera a lot.  

I completely understand it being in this thread cause it is a head scratching comment for sure...
    he's mocking me because of my reaction to Gern's "not a big deal" about biden saying that "you ain't black" quote. he's trying to portray that I'm hypocritical in some way. I see them as completely different statements, but whatever. 
    we agree on McConnell's statement...not sure why we don't on Biden's
    Is calling someone “black” acceptable? I was scolded here a few years ago and had my post changed by the mods to “person of color”. I’m legitimately asking
    If you go back and look at our PM exchange from February 2020, you'll remember that you did not use the word "black." I appreciated your thanks for the edit at the time too. :) Stay safe. 
    I just checked. I said “colored”. Yea that’s……that’s my bad. 

Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    "I'm beginning to think starting his thread was a mistake"- brianlux
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Poncier said:
    "I'm beginning to think starting his thread was a mistake"- brianlux

Rumor has it I say that about every thread I start.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    mace1229 said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    I thought McConnell's statement would get more traction from this crowd.  I still can't believe he actually said that.
    honestly I didn't see this one as a big deal. I think he just missed saying "other" or "fellow" before "Americans". 
    I agree with Hugh.  While it sounds really bad, I do not think it was some slip...just came out different then it should have.  WHich tends to happen when you you talk on camera a lot.  

I completely understand it being in this thread cause it is a head scratching comment for sure...
    he's mocking me because of my reaction to Gern's "not a big deal" about biden saying that "you ain't black" quote. he's trying to portray that I'm hypocritical in some way. I see them as completely different statements, but whatever. 
    I'm not mocking you. It appears you and others are minimizing an overtly racist comment from McConnell. Has nothing to do with Biden's remark.
    So you really think he meant to not include blacks as part of America in a statement? That seems more reasonable than just forgetting to include 1 word, in what would have been a comment that very much makes sense?
    To me it’s a no brained that he meant to say the black vote percentage is nearly the same as America as a whole. And there is nothing racist about that. 
    I can’t believe anyone actually thinks he meant to say what he did.
    Yes, it is reasonable to believe he used that language with intent and purpose. The silent white. Here's a piece that helps explain this concept and how the language is rooted in racism:

Understanding the silent ‘white’ in America | Linguistics | flcourier.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Kat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

Is calling someone “black” acceptable? I was scolded here a few years ago and had my post changed by the mods to “person of color”. I’m legitimately asking
    If you go back and look at our PM exchange from February 2020, you'll remember that you did not use the word "black." I appreciated your thanks for the edit at the time too. :) Stay safe. 

Image of The color guard is colored
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    nicknyr15 said:
    Kat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

Just like my grandma :)

She didn't say it in a derogatory way...she was born in like 1915 so it was learned behavior
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    nicknyr15 said:
    Kat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

She didn't say it in a derogatory way...she was born in like 1915 so it was learned behavior
    my grampa was born 1911. wouldn't allow my uncle's aboriginal wife and two daughters in his house....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Kat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

my grampa was born 1911. wouldn't allow my uncle's aboriginal wife and two daughters in his house....
    oh wow...

my brother in law (who just turned 60) told me once that "the only reason Obama won was because of all the niXXers"

Let's just say that we were all shocked....but not too shocked

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    Kat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

oh wow...

my brother in law (who just turned 60) told me once that "the only reason Obama won was because of all the niXXers"

Let's just say that we were all shocked....but not too shocked
    it's such a conflicting memory I have of him. I respected him greatly, and he was an amazing person....except super racist. maybe had I known the latter part when I was a kid, it would have had an affect on my current memories of him, but I didn't know that stuff until I was an adult. it's like having memories of two different people. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    “All the records in possession of the federal government have already been turned over to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation in Winnipeg,”  Justin Trudeau October 2021

This week - 875,000 pages of documents regarding the government-funded and church-ran residential schools used to assimilate indigenous youth in Canada was finally provided to the NCTR. 
    Is it any wonder no one trusts politicians anymore? 
    I'd like to know the full context of this (source?). I honestly don't trust the media any more than I trust politicians these days. 
    The fifth estate is there to hold politicians accountable. 
    I’ve seen the clip of him saying it. The video is readily available. He said it while sitting next to the indigenous people he snubbed on Vancouver Island during the first National Day of Reconciliation Holiday.  He was on the island, flocking around Long Beach…. but didn’t see the need to respond to their invitation to be a part of the historic day. 

He is all words, no substance. This on the back of the WE scandal where all he could do was apologize. His lack of awareness is astounding really
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,816
    nicknyr15 said:
    Kat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:

🤦🏻‍♂️   
  • Options
    “All the records in possession of the federal government have already been turned over to the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation in Winnipeg,”  Justin Trudeau October 2021

This week - 875,000 pages of documents regarding the government-funded and church-ran residential schools used to assimilate indigenous youth in Canada was finally provided to the NCTR. 
    I'd like to know the full context of this (source?). I honestly don't trust the media any more than I trust politicians these days. 
    I’ve seen the clip of him saying it. The video is readily available. He said it while sitting next to the indigenous people he snubbed on Vancouver Island during the first National Day of Reconciliation Holiday.  He was on the island, flocking around Long Beach…. but didn’t see the need to respond to their invitation to be a part of the historic day. 

He is all words, no substance. This on the back of the WE scandal where all he could do was apologize. His lack of awareness is astounding really
    let me rephrase: I don't doubt he said that. I was more referring to the delay of the documents. was it him? was it his government? was it a breakdown somewhere down the chain? the buck stops with him, for sure. But when I see something like that without a link, a context, or anything, I'm naturally skeptical. no matter who it's about. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

1) it is the government. delay in red tape type shit is commonplace. a few months to turn over that kind of paperwork isn't really all that to be surprised or upset about. 
    2) the first national day of reconciliation falls on the same day as the day he and his family travel annually to the site where his brother died in that skiing accident, and the media reported him "going surfing" or some bullshit. 

I understand the distrust of politicians. But I think it's fair to understand my (or anyone's) distrust of the media. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2022

1) it is the government. delay in red tape type shit is commonplace. a few months to turn over that kind of paperwork isn't really all that to be surprised or upset about. 
    2) the first national day of reconciliation falls on the same day as the day he and his family travel annually to the site where his brother died in that skiing accident, and the media reported him "going surfing" or some bullshit. 

I understand the distrust of politicians. But I think it's fair to understand my (or anyone's) distrust of the media. 
    1) He lied. Unequivocally saying all documentation was provided, knowing damn well some of it was being withheld. If there was red tape, he should have worded his answer appropriately. 
    2) Whatever his excuse was, his lack of communication on such an important day for the country (the one he is supposed to lead) supersedes his own traditions, no matter what they may be. That, is the definition of leadership. Once again, astounding the lack of situational awareness. He still could have honoured his brother and attended as requested. He apologized for it, knowing he “made a mistake”. Why would you defend someone who admitted they were wrong? Laughable, but you are probably reading material which supports your obvious confirmation bias. 

If you consider “newstainment” journalism (first you are wrong, it isn’t) then your distrust of it is understandable. I don’t pay any of that 5 seconds of attention, whether it is Canadian or American.  The talking heads BS means nothing to me. As with anything, pay attention to your sources… critical thinking, which is strongly lacking amongst the general population, is imperative.  
  • Options
    you are making a whole host of assumptions here, so have a fine day. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Haha, I read this thread when it only had the first post.  I thought to myself ‘this will go poorly’.

Liberals will try to defend stupid comments by liberals, and conservatives will try to defend stupid comments by conservatives.  A nice experiment in human nature here.

• Options
    when i first read the thread title, i honestly thought it was going to be about funny things people had said. i wasn't expecting this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Haha, I read this thread when it only had the first post.  I thought to myself ‘this will go poorly’.

Liberals will try to defend stupid comments by liberals, and conservatives will try to defend stupid comments by conservatives.  A nice experiment in human nature here.

and not all of us are that partisan. some of us just like all the information before tarring and feathering someone. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    you are making a whole host of assumptions here, so have a fine day. 
    😂
    I’m making a whole host of assumptions hey. From the guy who “assumed” it was government “red tape”  (not surprisingly… it wasn’t).  

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,188
    "Oooh yeaaaa!"

--Macho Man
  • Options
    when i first read the thread title, i honestly thought it was going to be about funny things people had said. i wasn't expecting this. 
    Ok here’s one of my favorites. It’s Donald Rumsfeld after a senator questioning him about the Iraq War says “Secretary Rumsfeld, the intelligence suggests otherwise…”

”Look I’m not in the business of intelligence.”
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759

Well of course anyone would think it will go poorly.  I made the damn thing and figured it would go poorly..  It's AMT, lol.

Regarding your second statement, that seems normal to me.  I mean really, how many Trump fans are going so say something good about a statement made by Biden or visa versa?  How many McConnell fans (is there such a thing?) are going to say something good about a Pelosi statement?  Totally natural in this polarized nation.  And as long a Republicans continue to side with Trump, I think it has to stay polarized.  How could it not?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

Well of course anyone would think it will go poorly.  I made the damn thing and figured it would go poorly..  It's AMT, lol.

Regarding your second statement, that seems normal to me.  I mean really, how many Trump fans are going so say something good about a statement made by Biden or visa versa?  How many McConnell fans (is there such a thing?) are going to say something good about a Pelosi statement?  Totally natural in this polarized nation.  And as long a Republicans continue to side with Trump, I think it has to stay polarized.  How could it not?

I could never imagine being a “fan” of a politician.  It’s a strange world to me. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Funny, folks still can’t tell the difference. Between “good trouble,” and “doing what is right.” Especially, when there is no alternative proposal, other than “no.”

What does Moscow Mitchy Baby stand for? Has anyone, anyone at all, asked what his agenda will be when he becomes senate majority leader? If you don’t know the answer, you should be concerned. And if you’re not concerned, good fucking luck.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    "For you to come on my property and accuse me of something that absolutely has nothing to do with that Confederate flag except for my daughter’s heritage and my heritage is absolutely wrong.”

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    edited January 2022
    "For you to come on my property and accuse me of something that absolutely has nothing to do with that Confederate flag except for my daughter’s heritage and my heritage is absolutely wrong.”

love to ask,  ok then what does that mean to you, southern heritage.

AND that flag is specific to the army of virginia, adopted at the start of the civil war. where the attempted succesion states clearly state in their letters of succession AND the csa constitution it was about slavery.

AND missouri was admitted as the last slave state. THAT is your heritage.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I could never imagine being a “fan” of a politician.  It’s a strange world to me. 
    It's so fucking weird. Bumper stickers and yard signs (close to an election) seem fairly normal but flags? Hats and shirts?

I passed merch tents for tRump near my neighborhood selling all kinds of bizarre tRump stuff.  Really fucking weird

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    mickeyrat said:

Or what does the confederate flag represent 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    edited January 2022
    mickeyrat said:

Or what does the confederate flag represent 
    losing a war 157 years ago and being completely unable to let it go?
    Post edited by gimmesometruth27 on
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
This discussion has been closed.