Options

This thread must stay alive. Forever.

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    edited January 2022
    Found the perfect quote for this thread...

looks familiar....
    Post edited by Kat on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    edited January 2022
    Found the perfect quote for this thread...

I can believe a Mod said it.  What I can't believe is how often it is ignored!
    Post edited by Kat on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    brianlux said:
    Haha, I read this thread when it only had the first post.  I thought to myself ‘this will go poorly’.

Liberals will try to defend stupid comments by liberals, and conservatives will try to defend stupid comments by conservatives.  A nice experiment in human nature here.

Well of course anyone would think it will go poorly.  I made the damn thing and figured it would go poorly..  It's AMT, lol.

Regarding your second statement, that seems normal to me.  I mean really, how many Trump fans are going so say something good about a statement made by Biden or visa versa?  How many McConnell fans (is there such a thing?) are going to say something good about a Pelosi statement?  Totally natural in this polarized nation.  And as long a Republicans continue to side with Trump, I think it has to stay polarized.  How could it not?

I could never imagine being a “fan” of a politician.  It’s a strange world to me. 
    It's so fucking weird. Bumper stickers and yard signs (close to an election) seem fairly normal but flags? Hats and shirts?

I passed merch tents for tRump near my neighborhood selling all kinds of bizarre tRump stuff.  Really fucking weird
    There is a guy in his corolla that sells Trump flags and F Biden flags.

The F Biden stuff to me is classless.  To openly display the F word in public?  stupes...
    There is a guy in my neighborhood that has a "F**K Biden" flag. I guess he thinks the asterisks are acceptable. 

Really classless
    I was in traffic last week behind a pickup with a "Fuck Biden" bumper sticker. No asterisks, just put the word right out there for all to see.
    So, if people have kids in their cars the kids get exposed to this. Classless is an understatement.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    Haha, I read this thread when it only had the first post.  I thought to myself ‘this will go poorly’.

Liberals will try to defend stupid comments by liberals, and conservatives will try to defend stupid comments by conservatives.  A nice experiment in human nature here.

Well of course anyone would think it will go poorly.  I made the damn thing and figured it would go poorly..  It's AMT, lol.

Regarding your second statement, that seems normal to me.  I mean really, how many Trump fans are going so say something good about a statement made by Biden or visa versa?  How many McConnell fans (is there such a thing?) are going to say something good about a Pelosi statement?  Totally natural in this polarized nation.  And as long a Republicans continue to side with Trump, I think it has to stay polarized.  How could it not?

I could never imagine being a “fan” of a politician.  It’s a strange world to me. 
    It's so fucking weird. Bumper stickers and yard signs (close to an election) seem fairly normal but flags? Hats and shirts?

I passed merch tents for tRump near my neighborhood selling all kinds of bizarre tRump stuff.  Really fucking weird

The F Biden stuff to me is classless.  To openly display the F word in public?  stupes...
    There is a guy in my neighborhood that has a "F**K Biden" flag. I guess he thinks the asterisks are acceptable. 

Really classless
    I was in traffic last week behind a pickup with a "Fuck Biden" bumper sticker. No asterisks, just put the word right out there for all to see.
    So, if people have kids in their cars the kids get exposed to this. Classless is an understatement.

These people with their "Fuck Biden" sign and flags are the epitome of cretins (and I don't mean in the good way like the Ramones' song).  They glorify being on the lowest rung, having the least amount of class, reveling in stupidity.  Welcome to the new America. They are a disease that is spreading.  I would put them on a par with COVID.  Maybe worse. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    Oh man, I was really just having some fun as I figured that several of us had seen that quote before...seems like I messed up.  Sorry, didn't realize I couldn't post it.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Thank you. Not upset...let's keep PMs private for everyone. Stay safe. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:

Really classless
    I agree is classless. But I’m pretty sure I remember seeing those for every president in the last 20 years. It’s not new.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited January 2022
    DewieCox said:
    Willful ignorance isn’t an excuse.
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:
    "For you to come on my property and accuse me of something that absolutely has nothing to do with that Confederate flag except for my daughter’s heritage and my heritage is absolutely wrong.”

love to ask,  ok then what does that mean to you, southern heritage.

AND that flag is specific to the army of virginia, adopted at the start of the civil war. where the attempted succesion states clearly state in their letters of succession AND the csa constitution it was about slavery.

AND missouri was admitted as the last slave state. THAT is your heritage.

There are so many people that view that flag as just "southern".  They don't look at it as racist because that isn't what it means to them.

Are they wrong?  I think so.  If you could turn it into something positive though why not do that?
    Of course they’re wrong. They’ve had 150+ years to change what it stands for and they’ve doubled and tripled down on it through the decades. Ship has sailed.
    Again, they don't view it as a race thing, some do but a bunch do not.

Remember when it was on the General Lee?  It was just a flag on a car.  It had zero to do w race.

I'm just trying to get across that there are a bunch of people that see it as a southern thing and can care less about it's role as being racist.
    I touched on that earlier. And I agree it’s not always about race for some people. But To do that in the 80s is one thing.  To do it today and not know it’s offensive would just be dumb.
    I too never saw it as a hate symbol until the past few years when it got more news about it.
    Probably in the same way we laughed off racist comments by grandparents and such. 
    I never saw it as racist when I watched the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid. That's just how ingrained racism has always been in our society. 

Edit: Maybe saying 'laughed off' is the wrong choice of words. 

Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    when i was in dc a few months ago i saw someone driving with a bumper sticker that was a portrait of ben franklin and he was quoted as saying "Tax this dick". I thought it was pretty classless, but still kinda funny. reminded me to the tea party. i was like "i wonder if he really said that??"
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:
    "For you to come on my property and accuse me of something that absolutely has nothing to do with that Confederate flag except for my daughter’s heritage and my heritage is absolutely wrong.”

AND that flag is specific to the army of virginia, adopted at the start of the civil war. where the attempted succesion states clearly state in their letters of succession AND the csa constitution it was about slavery.

There are so many people that view that flag as just "southern".  They don't look at it as racist because that isn't what it means to them.

Are they wrong?  I think so.  If you could turn it into something positive though why not do that?
    Of course they’re wrong. They’ve had 150+ years to change what it stands for and they’ve doubled and tripled down on it through the decades. Ship has sailed.

Remember when it was on the General Lee?  It was just a flag on a car.  It had zero to do w race.

I'm just trying to get across that there are a bunch of people that see it as a southern thing and can care less about it's role as being racist.
    I touched on that earlier. And I agree it’s not always about race for some people. But To do that in the 80s is one thing.  To do it today and not know it’s offensive would just be dumb.
    I too never saw it as a hate symbol until the past few years when it got more news about it.
    Probably in the same way we laughed off racist comments by grandparents and such. 
    I never saw it as racist when I watched the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid. That's just how ingrained racism has always been in our society. 

Yeah I never made the connection with the Dukes of Hazzard. I was too interested in Daisy's jugs to think about that flag.

I would think that those offended by the confederate flag were probably not too vocal about it back then. That was 45 years or so ago...still pretty close to the civil rights movement.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah I never made the connection with the Dukes of Hazzard. I was too interested in Daisy's jugs to think about that flag.

I would think that those offended by the confederate flag were probably not too vocal about it back then. That was 45 years or so ago...still pretty close to the civil rights movement.
    How could you not make the connection? It was on arguably the most famous car of the 80s. The car was in more scenes than Daisy I’m sure.
    I connected the confederate flag to Dukes before I knew what the south, civil war and slavery was. Pretty sure when I saw it for the first time in a school setting I probably thought “hey, that’s the Dukes of Hazzard car.”
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    eddiec said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:

How could you not make the connection? It was on arguably the most famous car of the 80s. The car was in more scenes than Daisy I’m sure.
    I connected the confederate flag to Dukes before I knew what the south, civil war and slavery was. Pretty sure when I saw it for the first time in a school setting I probably thought “hey, that’s the Dukes of Hazzard car.”
    because I was 10? I wasn't fully versed in what the confederate flag represented. Like a lot of children I'm guessing.

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    eddiec said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:

because I was 10? I wasn't fully versed in what the confederate flag represented. Like a lot of children I'm guessing.
    I misunderstood. I thought you meant you never made a connection with the General Lee car and the flag. As in your never noticed it.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    brianlux said:

Really classless
    Couldn't figure out the spelling, so he went with the asterisks. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Really classless
    Couldn't figure out the spelling, so he went with the asterisks. 
    I39d like to buy a vowel please - Jeopardy Contestant 1  Meme Generator
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    "I do my own research"  People

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited January 2022
    you are making a whole host of assumptions here, so have a fine day. 
    😂
    I’m making a whole host of assumptions hey. From the guy who “assumed” it was government “red tape”  (not surprisingly… it wasn’t).  

I didn't assume that. I posted it as a possibility. if it wasn't the case, fine. you seem to think you know, but again, won't post sources. I don't waste time on claims without sources. especially when I'm attacked personally for simply asking for them.
    First of all… why do I have to post sources? You don’t trust journalists so what good would that do? If you want to fact check, do your own homework, I have better things to do.
    haha, that's kind of how it works. if you post a claim of something that someone said or did, back it up. that's actually part of YOUR homework. jesus. 

this response screams "fuck, I posted bullshit and got caught". 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    eddiec said:
    DewieCox said:
    mace1229 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:

I misunderstood. I thought you meant you never made a connection with the General Lee car and the flag. As in your never noticed it.
    oh yeah...definitely noticed and probably thought it was really cool.  Especially next to Daisy's jugs.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2022
    you are making a whole host of assumptions here, so have a fine day. 
    😂
    I’m making a whole host of assumptions hey. From the guy who “assumed” it was government “red tape”  (not surprisingly… it wasn’t).  

I didn't assume that. I posted it as a possibility. if it wasn't the case, fine. you seem to think you know, but again, won't post sources. I don't waste time on claims without sources. especially when I'm attacked personally for simply asking for them.
    First of all… why do I have to post sources? You don’t trust journalists so what good would that do? If you want to fact check, do your own homework, I have better things to do.
    haha, that's kind of how it works. if you post a claim of something that someone said or did, back it up. that's actually part of YOUR homework. jesus. 

this response screams "fuck, I posted bullshit and got caught". 
    You never answered the second question in my post. If my sources are journalists and you don’t trust them, why would I bother? 

To be clear, I really don’t care if you agree, it’s just entertaining that you feel I owe you proof that I can’t believe what Trudeau said.  This thread is titled “I can’t believe…..”.  It isn’t titled “I can’t believe….. and post sources for HFD”. 

For everyone else interested:
    https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/grand-chief-in-b-c-says-trudeau-should-resign-over-residential-school-records-comment/
    https://www.aptnnews.ca/national-news/nctr-signs-agreement-with-ottawa-to-receive-more-residential-schools-records/

This indicates why the documents were withheld “third party obligations” not the asinine and ignorant comment it was possible “red-tape”.  The documents were withheld deliberately.  

A fifth estate documentary piece on the entire situation:
    https://gem.cbc.ca/media/the-fifth-estate/s47e10

There is more information on the NCTR website.  The federal government willingly entered an agreement on truth and reconciliation with our indigenous peoples and continue to fail them, over and over again. It is an embarrassment to this otherwise wonderful nation. As a proud citizen, this angers me. 

Well, that took me about five or ten minutes to find these links, something anyone that has figured out Google could do (for example, my five year old nephew is pretty Google-proficient). 

Edit - NCTR not NTCR.
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
     haha, that's kind of how it works. if you post a claim of something that someone said or did, back it up. ”

HughFreakingDillon - 2022

Page 2 of this thread:
    "No seriously, hot sauce. I’ve been eating a lot of hot sauce. Raw peppers and hot sauce,” she said. “Because I think it keeps my immune system strong. I think hot sauce is good for you, in moderation.”

-Hillary Clinton
    Oh the hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Maybe time to shut this thread down, ya think?  I do.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Are you a Trudeau fan as well? 😂😂
    Sorry if I have taken the shine off him for you. Liberal-minded Americans think quite highly of him, but he is all show and no substance. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Sorry if I have taken the shine off him for you. Liberal-minded Americans think quite highly of him, but he is all show and no substance. 
    I don't know what your talking about.  Nothing I've said had anything to do with Trudeau. 
    Also, I am not liberal-minded.  I study what is out there and think for myself.  So basically, I don't understand your post.

This thread has lost it's grip.  Time to shut it down. 

• Options
    “ haha, that's kind of how it works. if you post a claim of something that someone said or did, back it up. ”

HughFreakingDillon - 2022

Page 2 of this thread:
    "No seriously, hot sauce. I’ve been eating a lot of hot sauce. Raw peppers and hot sauce,” she said. “Because I think it keeps my immune system strong. I think hot sauce is good for you, in moderation.”

-Hillary Clinton
    Oh the hypocrisy.
    you can't be serious. that is a well known thing she said. it was all over the fucking news. but guess what? if you asked me for the source, I'd provide it, I wouldn't have a tantrum over it like you did. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    brianlux said:

When he leads a violent riot to overthrow his govt, then we’ll talk.
  • Options
    This sounds like a good topic for the Canadian politics thread.
    Besides it was another dumb thread started by that idiot brianlux.  They're destined to fail.  Don't sweat it.

• Options
    the thread was a fine idea brian. but sometimes......idiocy takes the wheel and it's beyond your control. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Be careful out there!
    Driving Crazy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Of please.  This is your response.    Lmfao
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Of please.  This is your response.    Lmfao
    Us silly people standing up for 1st nation rights.  When you reimburse the indigenous  people for violently slaughtering them in one of the world largest genocide’s then we will talk…. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.