Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• DewieCox said:
    Can’t Deny Me isn’t a hit. Look at it this way. Practically every PJ album debuts at #1 and they haven’t had a hit album in 30 years. Releases that chart high simply based on legacy, aren’t “hits” by any stretch. 
    You have no idea what you are talking about. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,551
    BF25394 said:
    IF there is another greatest hits/best of album it’s gonna be a reboot. Something akin to U217, where it’s their most massive hits with the bigger post Epic songs (and it will basically be maybe 1 per record and you can probably guess the songs).

But also, there’s no need for best of anymore because of streaming. Yes this fanbase is older and still occasionally purchase physical. But the kids coming up are gonna buy Rearviewmirror if they want an intro to the band on physical if not just straight buy the records.  

The vinyl cult will snap it up.
    Well, IdK if it’s a “cult”. Vinyl has been selling well for most major artists for years now. I think people enjoying something tangible isn’t necessarily a cult. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    DewieCox said:
    Can’t Deny Me isn’t a hit. Look at it this way. Practically every PJ album debuts at #1 and they haven’t had a hit album in 30 years. Releases that chart high simply based on legacy, aren’t “hits” by any stretch. 
    You have no idea what you are talking about. 
    Yeah, I do. 
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,587
    As far as I'm concerned PJ´s only hit since Last Kiss has been Just Breathe. Perhaps a case can be done for I Am Mine. 
    A song charting doesn't make it a hit. 

Some of Eddies songs on Into The Wild were also hits. 
    I will swallow poison
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    DewieCox said:
    In that case about 70% of the songs on RVM aren't hits then
    I miss igotid88
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited December 2023
    Can't Deny Me was a single. So based on former greatest hits albums by artists, it would be on a greatest hits album unless it, because of length limits, is knocked out by:

1) another single being a bigger hit,
    2) another song not being a single release but still being seen as "bigger"
    3) another, new, song being included to push the greatest hits release
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 372
    What about SIRENS? HUH? HMMM? 
    Did quite well out there, it did🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    That chorus, pulled from a marvel comic is why someone has a hard on for it
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 372
    I see i see🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    Man they need to drop the first single and get this thread back on track
    Can't Deny Me was a single. So based on former greatest hits albums by artists, it would be on a greatest hits album unless it, because of length limits, is knocked out by:

1) another single being a bigger hit,
    2) another song not being a single release but still being seen as "bigger"
    3) another, new, song being included to push the greatest hits release
    Or if it didn't chart or make an impact of some sort. Otherwise Jazz artists couldn't make a greatest hits album if we're going by anyone who's arguing the case for one 
    I miss igotid88
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    In that case about 70% of the songs on RVM aren't hits then
    Yeah, probably more.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,901
    kmcmanus said:
    Man they need to drop the first single and get this thread back on track

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    BF25394 said:
    IF there is another greatest hits/best of album it’s gonna be a reboot. Something akin to U217, where it’s their most massive hits with the bigger post Epic songs (and it will basically be maybe 1 per record and you can probably guess the songs).

But also, there’s no need for best of anymore because of streaming. Yes this fanbase is older and still occasionally purchase physical. But the kids coming up are gonna buy Rearviewmirror if they want an intro to the band on physical if not just straight buy the records.  

Well, IdK if it’s a “cult”. Vinyl has been selling well for most major artists for years now. I think people enjoying something tangible isn’t necessarily a cult. 
    I stand by the word choice. If I'm feeling generous, I point to definition number one below. If I'm feeling less generous, I point to definition number three.

cult
    /kəlt/
    noun
    1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
      2. a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
      3. a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • SM187650SM187650 Posts: 765
    Wow we need some news here. 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

I stand by the word choice. If I'm feeling generous, I point to definition number one below. If I'm feeling less generous, I point to definition number three.

cult
    /kəlt/
    noun
    1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
      2. a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.
    Exhausting 
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,687
    edited December 2023

What’s happened to this thread?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,551
    edited December 2023
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

cult
    /kəlt/
    noun
    At best you’re being dramatic about it. At worst you’re being cynical. I don’t see how it’s different than most things in life that people enjoy. Sports movies shows, etc. 

people like stuff. It’s not a big deal if it doesn’t land for you. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

cult
    /kəlt/
    noun
    At best you’re being dramatic about it. At worst you’re being cynical. I don’t see how it’s different than most things in life that people enjoy. Sports movies shows, etc. 

people like stuff. It’s not a big deal if it doesn’t land for you. 
    Actually, I just made a brief comment in response to someone who downplayed the market for physical product. I only expanded on it because you took exception to one word in that seven-word post. Anyway, it's not about people enjoying something tangible. CDs are also tangible. It's about people who abandoned the vinyl format thirty years ago because they were convinced that CDs were superior-- portable, more durable and better-sounding-- but who now act like none of that ever happened and claim that they'll only listen to vinyl and that it's the superior format. "People like stuff," sure, but if the people my age and older who now claim to like this stuff so much had always felt this way, the format never would have become obsolete, and things like Lost Dogs and the first three Vaults wouldn't go for crazy premiums today because all of these supposedly diehard vinyl lovers would have bought them in that format when they came out and there would be more of those items in the marketplace now. I paid 15 bucks for Lost Dogs on vinyl when it came out and now it goes for 500. It's not a question of it not landing for me. I have all of the PJ catalog on vinyl because I never stopped buying it in that format. I started buying PJ vinyl because the vinyl versions of Vs. and Vitalogy were released before the CDs and it was a way to hear those albums early, and then I liked having the large-sized liner notes and artwork, but I don't pretend it's the be-all and end-all. I'm not maligning owning vinyl. I'm pointing out that it's weird that people who didn't give a crap about it ten years ago or fifteen years ago now absolutely will not own any other format and completely fetishize it like a cult. It's bizarre. It's literally a 19th-century technology. Maybe the next fad will be the telegraph.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Sometimes it's more effective to not take the last word in a debate. Honor the impasse and carry on.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,546
    1. If they ever did it (as far as singles & media presence goes), it'd probably look like this:

Side A
    1- World Wide Suicide 
    2- Life Wasted/Wasted Reprise (edited together)
    3- Big Wave (from Iconoclasts)
    4- Gone
    5- Love Reign O'er Me (from the motion picture 'Reign Over Me')

Side B
    6- The Fixer 
    7- Just Breathe
    8- Got Some
    9- Amongst The Waves
    10- 99 Problems (live, feat. Jay-Z)

Side C
    11- Mind Your Manners (SOA)
    12- Sirens (Cold Case)
    13- Lightning Bolt
    14- Future Days (from the hit video game, 'The Last of Us')
    15- Alive (live from the R&R HOF, feat. Dave Krusen)

Side D
    16- Dance of the Clairvoyants
    17- Superblood Wolfmoon 
    18- Quick Escape
    19- Retrograde
    20- Better Man (live, from the concert film 'Let's Play Two')

Fan club singles just means we got them first. Let Me Sleep, Strangest Tribe & Driftin' were on Lost Dogs, so there's precedent for putting them on a saleable album.

Popular versions of Alive & Better Man to sweeten the pot for the casual/lapsed fan.

Do we need a Greatest Hits Vol.2/Part 2? No not really. This is just what I think it would look like.

2. 01/16/24??🧐 just a single guess...
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
    Go Animal said:
    1. If they ever did it (as far as singles & media presence goes), it'd probably look like this:

Side A
    1- World Wide Suicide 
    4- Gone

Side B
    6- The Fixer 
    7- Just Breathe
    8- Got Some
    9- Amongst The Waves

Side C
    12- Sirens (Cold Case)
    13- Lightning Bolt

Side D
    17- Superblood Wolfmoon 
    18- Quick Escape
    19- Retrograde

Fan club singles just means we got them first. Let Me Sleep, Strangest Tribe & Driftin' were on Lost Dogs, so there's precedent for putting them on a saleable album.

Popular versions of Alive & Better Man to sweeten the pot for the casual/lapsed fan.

Do we need a Greatest Hits Vol.2/Part 2? No not really. This is just what I think it would look like.

Sirens wasn't in Cold Case. I'm surprised it wasn't on any TV show especially when Just Breathe was everywhere. Big Wave was in Surf's Up.
    I miss igotid88
  • STONE?!?!?!!!  
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    I would really love for this new record coming out in '24 to be killer.  Would be so cool to revitalize my enthusiasm for Pearl Jam.  Keeping my hopes up this time around!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,587
    Go Animal said:

Side A
    1- World Wide Suicide 
    4- Gone

Side B
    6- The Fixer 
    7- Just Breathe
    8- Got Some
    9- Amongst The Waves

Side C
    12- Sirens (Cold Case)
    13- Lightning Bolt

Side D
    17- Superblood Wolfmoon 
    18- Quick Escape
    19- Retrograde

Maybe Redemption Song with Beyoncé? 
    I will swallow poison
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,901
    bigbiggzy said:
    STONE?!?!?!!!  

• Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,546
    igotid88 said:
    Go Animal said:

Side A
    1- World Wide Suicide 
    4- Gone

Side B
    6- The Fixer 
    7- Just Breathe
    8- Got Some
    9- Amongst The Waves

Side C
    12- Sirens (Cold Case)
    13- Lightning Bolt

Side D
    17- Superblood Wolfmoon 
    18- Quick Escape
    19- Retrograde

Sirens wasn't in Cold Case. I'm surprised it wasn't on any TV show especially when Just Breathe was everywhere. Big Wave was in Surf's Up.
    I have serious Mandela syndrome or something, because I coulda SWORE it was in that 2 episode deal. Maybe it was in the ad on CBS? :shrug:

And yeah, kids who watched Big Wave who are now adults probably get a good pop when they hear it. 

Props to Miley & Willie for keeping Just Breathe out there, too.

-----‐----------------
    I just can't wait to hear Mike reach down & let loose again!😏😇
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
    Go Animal said:
    igotid88 said:
    Go Animal said:

Side A
    1- World Wide Suicide 
    4- Gone

Side B
    6- The Fixer 
    7- Just Breathe
    8- Got Some
    9- Amongst The Waves

Side C
    12- Sirens (Cold Case)
    13- Lightning Bolt

Side D
    17- Superblood Wolfmoon 
    18- Quick Escape
    19- Retrograde

I have serious Mandela syndrome or something, because I coulda SWORE it was in that 2 episode deal. Maybe it was in the ad on CBS? :shrug:

And yeah, kids who watched Big Wave who are now adults probably get a good pop when they hear it. 

Props to Miley & Willie for keeping Just Breathe out there, too.

-----‐----------------
    I just can't wait to hear Mike reach down & let loose again!😏😇
    well that would be tough since those Cold Case episodes were in 2009 and Sirens came out in 2013
    I miss igotid88
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235
    brianlux said:
    I would really love for this new record coming out in '24 to be killer.  Would be so cool to revitalize my enthusiasm for Pearl Jam.  Keeping my hopes up this time around!
    I agree, Brian. 
  • SCHSCH Posts: 59
    stay on topic people.  this tread is about a new Pearl Jam record produced by Andrew Watts