Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    edited December 2023
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    They also have enough for a greatest hits part 2. But that's more of a record label thing so who knows if they'll ever happen 
    There are only 12 “singles” since the RVM comp dropped and “singles”only means “released to streaming ahead of the album” at this point as they don’t release physical singles or get meaningful radio airplay anymore. I’m not convinced a 12 song comp where Just Breathe is the highest profile song would be in demand. 
    Also Hits packages are cash-grabs and the only reason they did the first one was to get out of the Epic contract 1 album sooner.
    That's enough for a greatest hits. It doesn't have to be a double album like RVM was. And they can add an extra track or 2. 

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    And you can add Olè and Get it Back

Nobody is buying that. That's probably why they haven't done it.
    I would. Oh wait you already said Nobody 
    I miss igotid88
  • Why buy greatest/classic hits of anything when streaming is around and the main platform of music.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,270
    Why buy greatest/classic hits of anything when streaming is around and the main platform of music.
    Speaking just for myself, I will always prefer the physical format. I like owning it. If a certain song/album disappears from streaming, it doesn’t affect me at all. I’m also the music nerd that reads all the lyrics and liner notes. 

The only benefit for me with streaming music is having it in Dolby Atmos. But bands can release that physically if they choose as well. 
  • Why buy greatest/classic hits of anything when streaming is around and the main platform of music.
    Speaking just for myself, I will always prefer the physical format. I like owning it. If a certain song/album disappears from streaming, it doesn’t affect me at all. I’m also the music nerd that reads all the lyrics and liner notes. 

The only benefit for me with streaming music is having it in Dolby Atmos. But bands can release that physically if they choose as well. 
    To each their own. Seems the mega fans would have all the physical albums for the songs they want to own and the casual fans would build their own streaming Playlist. Just leaves a 1% niche for the completist group...and xmas gifts.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 891
    JT167846 said:
    Will they wait till their seventh post Lost Dogs album? Seven albums' worth to mirror the first collection? Could be as there are a fair few songs that are from that half that weren't in the first collection and that could make up for the band not being as prolific in this half. Angel and Cold Contagion being in the same collection? Sign me up.
    *Confession
    Cheers mate. Brain fart-travelling in India apparently is taking up all my faculties 😂
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721

That's enough for a greatest hits. It doesn't have to be a double album like RVM was. And they can add an extra track or 2. 

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    The fact that you are using Ole & Can’t Deny Me to pad this thing tells you everything you need to know about why they don’t do it.
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    The fact that you are using Ole & Can’t Deny Me to pad this thing tells you everything you need to know about why they don’t do it.
    Can't Deny Me was a hit. And Olè is for the extra tracks that is sometimes done for greatest hits albums. Unless you want an unreleased song
    I miss igotid88
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 384
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    Can't Deny Me was a hit. And Olè is for the extra tracks that is sometimes done for greatest hits albums. Unless you want an unreleased song
    Can’t deny me was a hit? My god man…..

Also, there isn’t a song on your list outside of dance or brother worth ever seeing on any compilation, ever. 

You’ve really cobbled together a real hit parade of mediocre to bad Pearl Jam songs.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited December 2023
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    Can't Deny Me was a hit. 
    Was it a hit?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited December 2023
    dwjmu84 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    Can’t deny me was a hit? My god man…..

Also, there isn’t a song on your list outside of dance or brother worth ever seeing on any compilation, ever. 

You’ve really cobbled together a real hit parade of mediocre to bad Pearl Jam songs.
    It's not about random songs. These are songs that charted on the rock/alternative AAA charts or Hot 100.  And secondly any list of songs would make a good compilation

Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    Can't Deny Me was a hit. 
    Was it a hit?
    #11 on the mainstream rock chart.
    I miss igotid88
    edited December 2023
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    Can't Deny Me was a hit. 
    Was it a hit?
    I don't know what that means. But I'm pretty sure 105 out of 100 in a survey would answer they have never heard of the song.

Gripa efter halmstrån as we say in Sweden.

I think an updated Greatest Hits or "Essentials" compilation with songs from 1991-202X  would make more sense (for regular folks), then try to Bob Dylan it by using Olé and SBWM.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited December 2023
    Why buy greatest/classic hits of anything when streaming is around and the main platform of music.
    "As of December 2023, Greatest Hits has spent 1,080 weeks on the UK Albums Chart, and has been certified 23× platinum with sales of over seven million copies, making it the best-selling album of all time in the UK. Greatest Hits peaked at number eight on the Billboard 200 in November 2020, the second-slowest ascent to the top ten of the US album chart in history. Among the longest charting albums in the US, as of December 2023, it has spent 573 weeks on the Billboard 200, and has been certified 9× platinum in the US. It has also been certified 15× platinum in Australia, 10× platinum in New Zealand, and 3× platinum in Canada. Following the release of the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody in 2018, it re-entered the charts worldwide."

Greatest Hits albums still sell. And is a good first buy for a teen at Urban Outfitters thinking vinyl is cool, instead of betting on them picking up a frightening new album with a cliff on the front cover and a song called DOTC on it.

It would also push the songs on streaming, being on a new release.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    They also have enough for a greatest hits part 2. But that's more of a record label thing so who knows if they'll ever happen 
    There are only 12 “singles” since the RVM comp dropped and “singles”only means “released to streaming ahead of the album” at this point as they don’t release physical singles or get meaningful radio airplay anymore. I’m not convinced a 12 song comp where Just Breathe is the highest profile song would be in demand. 
    Also Hits packages are cash-grabs and the only reason they did the first one was to get out of the Epic contract 1 album sooner.

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

Yeah thats not solid at all........
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    Can’t deny me isnt a Hit by any stretch…. It’s a throwaway song …
  • igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    Can't Deny Me was a hit. 
    Was it a hit?
    It hit the bottom of the trash can when they scrapped that album idea 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235
    Why would anyone here want a greatest hits album?  We already have all those songs on records.  (I get wanting a Lost Dogs 2)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,551

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,403
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

You know what, if you add Johnny Guitar to this track list....I'M FUCKING IN. 
    www.myspace.com
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 792
    I loved Can't Deny Me over numerous tracks on Gigaton.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

Or just fix the mistakes on Rearviewmirror and replace Black with Johnny Guitar.  What an oversight that was.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,403
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

Or just fix the mistakes on Rearviewmirror and replace Black with Johnny Guitar.  What an oversight that was.
    Better yet, issue a new greatest hits record entirely of Johnny Guitar on repeat 20 times. 
    www.myspace.com
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    Can't Deny Me was a hit. 
    Was it a hit?
    I don't know what that means. But I'm pretty sure 105 out of 100 in a survey would answer they have never heard of the song.

Gripa efter halmstrån as we say in Sweden.

I think an updated Greatest Hits or "Essentials" compilation with songs from 1991-202X  would make more sense (for regular folks), then try to Bob Dylan it by using Olé and SBWM.
    There are bands who only have 1 hit that have a greatest hits album
    I miss igotid88
    CROJAM95 said:
    Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it didn't chart
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde

It wouldn't be because it didn't chart and wasn't released as a single. Although nowadays with streaming any song can chart. So if more people listen to it for the first time and it starts to take off it can be.
    I miss igotid88
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    I know Johnny Guitar is not generally well-loved let’s say but i think it’s a much better song than either Can’t Deny Me or Ole
  • STONE?!?!!  LOOK WHAT YOU’RE DOING TO THIS THREAD?!?!?

SINGLE?!?!?!
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,280
    kmcmanus said:
    I know Johnny Guitar is not generally well-loved let’s say but i think it’s a much better song than either Can’t Deny Me or Ole
    This is a fact 
  • Deadman said:
    I loved Can't Deny Me over numerous tracks on Gigaton.
    Yes indeed. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    edited December 2023
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it didn't chart
    Your comments are frequently in question 

check yo self before you reck yo self

i I mean Jesus fuckin Christ with some of your takes