Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    Can’t deny was given out for free

it came out, oh it CHARTED… is that even a fuckin thing last 25 years? Cmon, let’s put the pipe down
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    And the songs you put out as greatest hits part 2, like most

but jeez man, are these hits??? Maybe 1 or 2
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    Their only legitimate capital-H Hit since the RVM comp came out was Just Breathe. Other songs may have charted but nothing else has had real impact outside the fanbase. 
    But hey, maybe that’s gonna change next year.
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,401
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    They also have enough for a greatest hits part 2. But that's more of a record label thing so who knows if they'll ever happen 
    There are only 12 “singles” since the RVM comp dropped and “singles”only means “released to streaming ahead of the album” at this point as they don’t release physical singles or get meaningful radio airplay anymore. I’m not convinced a 12 song comp where Just Breathe is the highest profile song would be in demand. 
    Also Hits packages are cash-grabs and the only reason they did the first one was to get out of the Epic contract 1 album sooner.
    That's enough for a greatest hits. It doesn't have to be a double album like RVM was. And they can add an extra track or 2. 

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    And you can add Olè and Get it Back

Nobody is buying that. That's probably why they haven't done it.
    I would. Oh wait you already said Nobody 
    You know what, if you add Johnny Guitar to this track list....I'M FUCKING IN. 
    Or just fix the mistakes on Rearviewmirror and replace Black with Johnny Guitar.  What an oversight that was.
    Haha, thanks for that laugh 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,403
    BF89905 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    They also have enough for a greatest hits part 2. But that's more of a record label thing so who knows if they'll ever happen 
    There are only 12 “singles” since the RVM comp dropped and “singles”only means “released to streaming ahead of the album” at this point as they don’t release physical singles or get meaningful radio airplay anymore. I’m not convinced a 12 song comp where Just Breathe is the highest profile song would be in demand. 
    Also Hits packages are cash-grabs and the only reason they did the first one was to get out of the Epic contract 1 album sooner.
    That's enough for a greatest hits. It doesn't have to be a double album like RVM was. And they can add an extra track or 2. 

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    And you can add Olè and Get it Back

Nobody is buying that. That's probably why they haven't done it.
    I would. Oh wait you already said Nobody 
    You know what, if you add Johnny Guitar to this track list....I'M FUCKING IN. 
    Or just fix the mistakes on Rearviewmirror and replace Black with Johnny Guitar.  What an oversight that was.
    Haha, thanks for that laugh 
    Sorry...what's funny here?
    www.myspace.com
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,701
    CROJAM95 said:
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Can’t deny me isnt a Hit by any stretch…. It’s a throwaway song …
    Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it didn't chart
    Your comments are frequently in question 

check yo self before you reck yo self

i I mean Jesus fuckin Christ with some of your takes 
    What are you talking about? I'm talking facts that you can check. People questioning don't know what they're talking about. I'm not giving a take or an opinion. Can't Deny Me charted on the mainstream rock chart. As I said that person's dislike of the song doesn't change that
    I miss igotid88
    CROJAM95 said:

it came out, oh it CHARTED… is that even a fuckin thing last 25 years? Cmon, let’s put the pipe down
    Only the day before to fanclub members. It got enough radio airplay to be a rock hit. 
    I miss igotid88
    edited December 2023
    CROJAM95 said:

Like I stated. I didn't just pick random songs that I like. These are songs that either charted on the Hot 100 or Rock/Alternative/AAA charts.  Am I saying they're Jeremy level? No. But they're hits nonetheless.

And I'm talking U.S. charts

And not every song on RVM is known outside the fanbase. Maybe 14 or 15 of the 33 songs 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 384
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Like I stated. I didn't just pick random songs that I like. These are songs that either charted on the Hot 100 or Rock/Alternative/AAA charts.  Am I saying they're Jeremy level? No. But they're hits nonetheless.

And not every song on RVM is known outside the fanbase. Maybe 14 or 15 of the 33 songs 
    I think what we’re all getting at is you use the term “hit” very loosely. Maybe you’re technically correct in that it “charted”. But, you’re either fairly new to this Pearl Jam thing, or you’re in the 1% of people who DIDN’T think CDM was a big fat turd.

Think about it. They were likely planning to have it on Gigaton (or whatever Gigaton was at that point) and the fan reaction completely scrapped it. That’s a 1 of 1 in PJ history. It’s never happened. So, the song was pure trash and they realized it, went back to work, and gave us a pretty decent album instead. 

Songs that are tested and later thrown in the trash don’t wind up on “greatest hits” (a terrible idea to begin with).
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    Every band releases a Greatest Hits but who are the legends to release Divisive Deep Album Tracks Vol. 1
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    coming to think of it, I have never played cant deny me since the week it was released. That hasn't been a conscious thing, I have just felt the need to hear it again and that is extremely unusual for any track created by PJ. Heard it at several shows and do recall it being better live, something I thought for many of the gigaton tracks too and perhaps this is testament to their phenomenal talent as a live act
  • Ed and that cowbell, lol. Song was better live for sure, but gotta imagine it “charted” because it was the first new song they released in forever so naturally people wanted to check it out and then it fell flat. 
    dwjmu84 said:
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

I think what we’re all getting at is you use the term “hit” very loosely. Maybe you’re technically correct in that it “charted”. But, you’re either fairly new to this Pearl Jam thing, or you’re in the 1% of people who DIDN’T think CDM was a big fat turd.

Think about it. They were likely planning to have it on Gigaton (or whatever Gigaton was at that point) and the fan reaction completely scrapped it. That’s a 1 of 1 in PJ history. It’s never happened. So, the song was pure trash and they realized it, went back to work, and gave us a pretty decent album instead. 

Songs that are tested and later thrown in the trash don’t wind up on “greatest hits” (a terrible idea to begin with).
    Been here since practically the beginning. Also whether someone thinks it's trash or not does not not make it a hit. I thought Old Town Road wasn't good. But it's still a hit. Not many artists songs chart. Deep Purple came out with an album in 2021. I don't believe their songs charted here.  
    People here hate Last Kiss. It was still a hit.
    I miss igotid88
  • tylermooretylermoore Posts: 919
    edited December 2023
    igotid88 said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Only the day before to fanclub members. It got enough radio airplay to be a rock hit. 
    Every big prolific band releases a single, it’s going to get airplay and “chart” just because off how big the band is. 
    But go ahead my friend, die on this hill. Can’t deny me wasn’t, and will never be, a hit. I’m so sorry to have to tell you 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited December 2023
    It's Christmas for gods sake. Where is that holiday spirit. Let Can't Deny Me be a hit till New Years
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 891
    It's Christmas for gods sake. Where is that holiday spirit. Let Can't Deny Me be a hit till New Years
    Speaking of, I was in a Starbucks in Kolkata yesterday and Let Me Sleep came on. Yes Starbucks is from Seattle but still felt really random.

I heard CDM live in Boston and it sounded way better than the studio version. Thinking it was the teeth Stone's guitar had. Just wish the band wasn't listening to Will Ferrell for that tune.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018

People HERE may hate it but the general public loved it. There aren’t enough us to make a legitimate hit without them. That’s why Just Breathe is a legit hit. My mom knows Last Kiss and Just Breathe. I have friends who have been to multiple PJ shows who don’t know Can’t Deny Me. 
    And again, the level of minutiae about Can’t Deny Me’s chart prospects underscores why they haven’t done it
    edited December 2023
    kmcmanus said:

People HERE may hate it but the general public loved it. There aren’t enough us to make a legitimate hit without them. That’s why Just Breathe is a legit hit. My mom knows Last Kiss and Just Breathe. I have friends who have been to multiple PJ shows who don’t know Can’t Deny Me. 
    And again, the level of minutiae about Can’t Deny Me’s chart prospects underscores why they haven’t done it
    I never said the songs were huge hits. Just that they were hits. And I made the point it was mostly rock/alternative hits. Your mother probably knows 2 or 3 songs from RVM. Doesn't mean the other songs weren't hits.  I Got Id was #7 on the Hot 100. I doubt the casual fan knows the song. It was still a hit
    I miss igotid88
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,893
    I'm going to vote "not a hit". 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    Whether something is a "hit" is a bit semantic, especially when comparing different eras. "I Got ID/Long Road" may have been a No. 7 Hot 100 "hit," but it was not a hit in the conventional sense. It charted that high almost entirely on the basis of first-week sales of the physical single. It never received widespread radio airplay, and dropped off the Hot 100 relatively quickly. (It's a bit like when Taylor Swift or Drake release a new album and every track charts in the top 10. Those songs aren't all "hits" in the conventional sense just because they're in the top ten. Most of them will drop like rocks once the surge of first-week streaming ends. Only the songs that are receiving radio airplay stick around as true hits.) In the context of 1995, where radio (and/or MTV airplay) signified a hit, "I Got ID" wasn't a hit. "Last Kiss," on the other hand, was a hit by any measure. It peaked at No. 2, remained on the chart for months, and received widespread airplay.

Some of the songs that are thought of as Pearl Jam's biggest "hits" are hits of a different variety than "Last Kiss." Think "Alive," "Even Flow," "Better Man," "Jeremy," "Black," "Daughter" and "Corduroy." These songs received significant pop radio airplay-- but not as much as some of us might think. None of them reached the top 10 in airplay. They received more airplay at rock radio, but rock radio had/has a smaller audience than pop radio does/did in the early '90s. But from the vantage point of a lot of us, these songs were ubiquitous because they were being played on the stations we listened to, the videos (for three of the songs) were in heavy rotation on MTV, and people in our social circles were also listening to it. We were less likely to be aware of the general pop music audience that was hearing these songs much less often, if at all.

Then there are the genre hits, like "World Wide Suicide," which spent five weeks (if i recall correctly) at No. 1 at rock radio and peaked at No. 41 on the Hot 100. That's actually a higher peak than any of the big Ten hits, but the way the charts have been calculated has changed so drastically and repeatedly between 1991 and 2023 that it's an apples-and-oranges comparison.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • JDime20JDime20 Posts: 192
    We need some news. This thread is not a hit, it’s become a joke. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,551
    IF there is another greatest hits/best of album it’s gonna be a reboot. Something akin to U217, where it’s their most massive hits with the bigger post Epic songs (and it will basically be maybe 1 per record and you can probably guess the songs).

But also, there’s no need for best of anymore because of streaming. Yes this fanbase is older and still occasionally purchase physical. But the kids coming up are gonna buy Rearviewmirror if they want an intro to the band on physical if not just straight buy the records.  

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    IF there is another greatest hits/best of album it’s gonna be a reboot. Something akin to U217, where it’s their most massive hits with the bigger post Epic songs (and it will basically be maybe 1 per record and you can probably guess the songs).

But also, there’s no need for best of anymore because of streaming. Yes this fanbase is older and still occasionally purchase physical. But the kids coming up are gonna buy Rearviewmirror if they want an intro to the band on physical if not just straight buy the records.  

The vinyl cult will snap it up.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 681
    BF25394 said:
    Whether something is a "hit" is a bit semantic, especially when comparing different eras. "I Got ID/Long Road" may have been a No. 7 Hot 100 "hit," but it was not a hit in the conventional sense. It charted that high almost entirely on the basis of first-week sales of the physical single. It never received widespread radio airplay, and dropped off the Hot 100 relatively quickly. (It's a bit like when Taylor Swift or Drake release a new album and every track charts in the top 10. Those songs aren't all "hits" in the conventional sense just because they're in the top ten. Most of them will drop like rocks once the surge of first-week streaming ends. Only the songs that are receiving radio airplay stick around as true hits.) In the context of 1995, where radio (and/or MTV airplay) signified a hit, "I Got ID" wasn't a hit. "Last Kiss," on the other hand, was a hit by any measure. It peaked at No. 2, remained on the chart for months, and received widespread airplay.

Some of the songs that are thought of as Pearl Jam's biggest "hits" are hits of a different variety than "Last Kiss." Think "Alive," "Even Flow," "Better Man," "Jeremy," "Black," "Daughter" and "Corduroy." These songs received significant pop radio airplay-- but not as much as some of us might think. None of them reached the top 10 in airplay. They received more airplay at rock radio, but rock radio had/has a smaller audience than pop radio does/did in the early '90s. But from the vantage point of a lot of us, these songs were ubiquitous because they were being played on the stations we listened to, the videos (for three of the songs) were in heavy rotation on MTV, and people in our social circles were also listening to it. We were less likely to be aware of the general pop music audience that was hearing these songs much less often, if at all.

Then there are the genre hits, like "World Wide Suicide," which spent five weeks (if i recall correctly) at No. 1 at rock radio and peaked at No. 41 on the Hot 100. That's actually a higher peak than any of the big Ten hits, but the way the charts have been calculated has changed so drastically and repeatedly between 1991 and 2023 that it's an apples-and-oranges comparison.
    Good summary 
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 643
    BF25394 said:

Someone’s avoiding their family ;)
    but yes, sums it up well
  • Yeah, but can Hilary Swank be considered Hot? 
    edited December 2023
    BF25394 said:

It did spend 20 weeks there. But you're making my point. These were all hits even though they weren't all played on pop radio or got on the Hot 100. Future Days is known because of The Last of Us and has become somewhat of a mini hit.
    I miss igotid88
    Ok, they are all hits. Even Can’t Deny Me. There’s your bone. Merry Christmas.
    But Greatest Hits packages aren’t for die-hards, they are for casuals. And casuals don’t care about the post-Epic material. It would not sell well enough to justify doing it. Because if it would, they probably would have done it by now.
    kmcmanus said:
    Ok, they are all hits. Even Can’t Deny Me. There’s your bone. Merry Christmas.
    But Greatest Hits packages aren’t for die-hards, they are for casuals. And casuals don’t care about the post-Epic material. It would not sell well enough to justify doing it. Because if it would, they probably would have done it by now.
    I don't think they wanted to do RVM but they had to. If they had a record label behind these new songs it might have reached more people.  They did fairly well though.
    I miss igotid88
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Can’t Deny Me isn’t a hit. Look at it this way. Practically every PJ album debuts at #1 and they haven’t had a hit album in 30 years. Releases that chart high simply based on legacy, aren’t “hits” by any stretch.