Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 643
    dwjmu84 said:
    I meant 60*
    Aren’t we all pushing 69?
  • BF25394 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    bobasfeet said:

But I think PJ still have more fight in them than to get turned into something they aren't by a producer. I look forward to seeing what they come up with. If he sharpened them, pushed them for better ideas when they were getting a bit lazy, so much the better.
    This 100%
    Why does anyone think they were getting lazy? Haha. I love all the comments from the “Fans” on here 
    I don't know what he meant by lazy, but releasing one album of new material in ten years is not exactly ambitious.
    I’m gonna have to stop ya right there. There is no requirement for them to do anything, and you can’t assign terms like “lazy” based on one’s preconceived notions about timing. When the collective will is there, they make it happen and on their schedule. None of this is compulsory. Frankly, I prefer they take their time and fill the gaps with other ventures. It informs the music in all likelihood. 
    The question was "why does anyone think they were getting lazy"? I replied that, while I can't speak for that poster's definition of "lazy," one reason why people might think they were getting lazy is that they have dramatically reduced their output of new material over the past ten years. I didn't assign the term "lazy"; I tried to explain why someone else might have used that term. I did imply that they seem to have a lack of ambition when it comes to producing new music. Of course, they're not under any obligation to do anything. Neither is Taylor Swift. But she seems driven to write and record songs in a way that Pearl Jam doesn't. Maybe if Pearl Jam's fans were as interested in their new music as Taylor Swift's fans are in hers, Pearl Jam would be more driven to produce more new songs. Maybe their ambition has been tamped down because they see that many of their biggest fans-- the ones who pay money to belong to their fan club-- have very little interest in anything they've done since 1998.
    Maybe time to stop posting for a bit. 
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,724
    dwjmu84 said:
    I meant 60*
    As often as possible
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 384
    spankyMP said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    I meant 60*
    As often as possible
    I said I meant 60, but maybe I didn’t. This thread deserves a distraction and I’d be happy for 69 to be it lol. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,551
    dwjmu84 said:
    I meant 60*
    Not nice
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,909
    bigbiggzy said:
    STONE?!?!  SINGLE ALREADY?!?!?!

• bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,107
    demetrios said:
    bigbiggzy said:
    STONE?!?!  SINGLE ALREADY?!?!?!

So, it's Stone's fault new single isn't out yet?
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited December 2023
    You know, Stone was the problem. Ya, it was Stone.

Oh, it's a thing!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    Next few weeks no one does anything, anywhere

mid January I’m thinking news will drop
  • 🤣 
  • Love how Gigaton was produced/recorded/mixed but it admittedly was not a five guys together in the studio effort.  Wonder if Watt will get them back to that environment in LA.   As long as they keep putting out albums of that quality I’m happy.  I don’t care who produces it or how it’s made.  
    I haven't read this whole thread so it may have been referenced elsewhere, but it seems that at least some of the recording was done in Watt's basement in Beverly Hills:

“We’re psyched,” Gossard said. “Andrew is a total character. Really, like immediately, we were writing quickly. Spontaneously. Bring in a riff. Let’s knock it out. [Drummer] Matt Cameron is playing his ass off. We didn’t bring any gear down. We were just doing some recording in Andrew’s basement in Beverly Hills, basically. So far, so good.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/watch-pearl-jams-eddie-vedder-interview-crew-aboard-international-space-station-3210902
    Love how Gigaton was produced/recorded/mixed but it admittedly was not a five guys together in the studio effort.  Wonder if Watt will get them back to that environment in LA.   As long as they keep putting out albums of that quality I’m happy.  I don’t care who produces it or how it’s made.  
    I haven't read this whole thread so it may have been referenced elsewhere, but it seems that at least some of the recording was done in Watt's basement in Beverly Hills:

“We’re psyched,” Gossard said. “Andrew is a total character. Really, like immediately, we were writing quickly. Spontaneously. Bring in a riff. Let’s knock it out. [Drummer] Matt Cameron is playing his ass off. We didn’t bring any gear down. We were just doing some recording in Andrew’s basement in Beverly Hills, basically. So far, so good.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/watch-pearl-jams-eddie-vedder-interview-crew-aboard-international-space-station-3210902
    YouTube “a day in the studio with Andrew Watt” or something like that. Profiles a session he did with Chad Smith. They quickly write a track together. Possibly a good indication of what it might have been like. He’s certainly intense and, quick. 

We know it took multiple sessions and I’m sure some in LA and some elsewhere. Jeff’s interview this summer seemed to indicate they were nowhere close to a “record”. But….that really could not have been the case sense Ed announced a finished album in mid Sept in Austin. Makes me wonder how far apart they might feel on the new record in general.
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,833
    dwjmu84 said:
    Love how Gigaton was produced/recorded/mixed but it admittedly was not a five guys together in the studio effort.  Wonder if Watt will get them back to that environment in LA.   As long as they keep putting out albums of that quality I’m happy.  I don’t care who produces it or how it’s made.  

YouTube “a day in the studio with Andrew Watt” or something like that. Profiles a session he did with Chad Smith. They quickly write a track together. Possibly a good indication of what it might have been like. He’s certainly intense and, quick. 

We know it took multiple sessions and I’m sure some in LA and some elsewhere. Jeff’s interview this summer seemed to indicate they were nowhere close to a “record”. But….that really could not have been the case sense Ed announced a finished album in mid Sept in Austin. Makes me wonder how far apart they might feel on the new record in general.
    Band members have been notorious for sandbagging when discussing new albums.  “ no where near close” could have a thousand different meanings to a thousand different people. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    D-Rod said:
    dwjmu84 said:

Band members have been notorious for sandbagging when discussing new albums.  “ no where near close” could have a thousand different meanings to a thousand different people. 
    Fair. As Jeff is so involved in the art side of things, maybe he meant it didn’t feel like a record without that aspect completed. Could be the music was all finalized. 

In any event, I really hope they pull back the curtains during the press cycle and give us a feel for how writing and recoding went. Love that stuff. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,138
    Jeff was obviously referring to Lost Dogs II when he said the album was nowhere near done 😉
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    Jeff was obviously referring to Lost Dogs II when he said the album was nowhere near done 😉
    LOL, one of the biggest shames of the digital era is the loss of the B side
  • pdalowsky said:
    They have songs recorded and not released on albums though.

A Lost Dogs II isn't chained to the old tradition of "b-siders" putting a second and sometimes third song on a physical single.

DO NOT LET THEM OFF THE HOOK
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 891
    Will they wait till their seventh post Lost Dogs album? Seven albums' worth to mirror the first collection? Could be as there are a fair few songs that are from that half that weren't in the first collection and that could make up for the band not being as prolific in this half. Angel and Cold Contagion being in the same collection? Sign me up.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • JT167846 said:
    Will they wait till their seventh post Lost Dogs album? Seven albums' worth to mirror the first collection? Could be as there are a fair few songs that are from that half that weren't in the first collection and that could make up for the band not being as prolific in this half. Angel and Cold Contagion being in the same collection? Sign me up.
    *Confession
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • DW183354DW183354 Posts: 135
    Lost Dogs II... If they ever do this, an album like this is so fan forward. It's the diehards that would adore it most and in some cases, even know the significance of some of the tunes on an album like this. 

Total day dream thought but I think it would be sweet if the album design of it somehow included the fans... make us the lost dogs. We submit art, photos, words, whatever, over the course of a year and then Jeff and Wes C. Adel take all of that and mold it into a package. Just a sweet little love in for this community and the band reflecting how they have been with us for our lives and how we have been there for them. 

Anyway, sorry for the tangent. As much as I want a LD2 I want this Watt album even more. Gigaton is such a high point for me with a band that I have loved since 1991. That's almost absurd. And I think we are about to get something that goes even higher. Bring. It. On. 

pdalowsky said:

A Lost Dogs II isn't chained to the old tradition of "b-siders" putting a second and sometimes third song on a physical single.

Oh I hear you, but back in the good old days we got to hear those extra tracks even when they didnt appear on albums.......A new album would usually mean 5 other songs we'd get on singles.....those days are long gone. 

• pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:

Oh I hear you, but back in the good old days we got to hear those extra tracks even when they didnt appear on albums.......A new album would usually mean 5 other songs we'd get on singles.....those days are long gone. 

Yeah. But many artist do have (digital) "deluxe editions" with extra songs. At least pop acts. It is "de facto" doing the same thing. Not PJ though (yet). 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,404
    Anyone have a link to the article where Jeff mentions the sax?
    www.myspace.com
  • STONE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!????
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:

Yeah. But many artist do have (digital) "deluxe editions" with extra songs. At least pop acts. It is "de facto" doing the same thing. Not PJ though (yet). 
    But i recall in those good old days that on occasion we got that as well LOL
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,702
    They also have enough for a greatest hits part 2. But that's more of a record label thing so who knows if they'll ever happen 
    I miss igotid88
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    igotid88 said:
    They also have enough for a greatest hits part 2. But that's more of a record label thing so who knows if they'll ever happen 
    There are only 12 “singles” since the RVM comp dropped and “singles”only means “released to streaming ahead of the album” at this point as they don’t release physical singles or get meaningful radio airplay anymore. I’m not convinced a 12 song comp where Just Breathe is the highest profile song would be in demand. 
    Also Hits packages are cash-grabs and the only reason they did the first one was to get out of the Epic contract 1 album sooner.
  • kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    There are only 12 “singles” since the RVM comp dropped and “singles”only means “released to streaming ahead of the album” at this point as they don’t release physical singles or get meaningful radio airplay anymore. I’m not convinced a 12 song comp where Just Breathe is the highest profile song would be in demand. 
    Also Hits packages are cash-grabs and the only reason they did the first one was to get out of the Epic contract 1 album sooner.
    The RVM re-release was the very definition of a "cash grab" (but, I do understand some might find a sentimental/nostalgic connection to that release and/or do not want anything post Riot Act on there. It's a lovely listen). Shouldn't a Greatest Hits release in 2022(?) be updated to be the greatest hits to that point... and not a greatest hits release frozen in time in 2004? By some kind of principle "emoji thinking"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,702
    edited December 2023
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's enough for a greatest hits. It doesn't have to be a double album like RVM was. And they can add an extra track or 2. 

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    And you can add Olè and Get it Back

They can do a hot 100 greatest hits or give it a different name. Queen has Classic Queen for example. 
    Last Kiss
    I Got Id/Long Road
    Wishlist
    Given To Fly
    Just Breathe
    Who You Are
    Jeremy/Yellow Ledbetter
    I Am Mine
    World Wide Suicide
    The Fixer
    Tremor Christ/Spin The Black Circle
    Nothing As It Seems
    Daughter/Yellow Ledbetter
    Sirens

Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,404
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's enough for a greatest hits. It doesn't have to be a double album like RVM was. And they can add an extra track or 2. 

WWS
    Life Wasted
    Brother
    The Fixer
    Just Breathe
    Amongst the Waves
    Mind Your Manners
    Sirens
    Future Days
    Can't Deny Me
    DOTC
    SBWM
    Quick Escape
    Retrograde
    And you can add Olè and Get it Back

Nobody is buying that. That's probably why they haven't done it.
    www.myspace.com