Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• Exciting indeed😀
  • Go AnimalGo Animal Posts: 5,546

Hmmm...
    PJ - 09/23/98: West Palm Beach II, 08/12/00: Tampa, 04/12/03: Orlando, 04/13/03: Tampa, 06/12/08: Tampa, 06/27/08: Hartford, 09/22/09: Seattle II, 04/11/16: Tampa, 05/01 & 05/02/16: MSG I & II, 09/18/21: Sea Hear Now, 10/01 & 10/02/21: Ohana Encore I & II, 05/06 & 05/07/22: Los Angeles I & II, 09/11/22: MSG, 09/16/22: Nashville, 09/02/23: St. Paul II, 09/07/23: Chicago II, 09/18 & 09/19/23: Austin I & II, 05/16 & 05/18/24: Las Vegas I & II, 08/29 & 08/31/24: Wrigley Field I & II, 09/03 & 09/04/24: MSG I & II

EV - 08/04 & 08/05/08: (Eddie solo, w/Liam Finn) NYC I & II, 11/27 & 11/28/12: (Eddie solo, w/Glen Hansard) Orlando I & II, 02/09 & 02/10/22: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Chicago I & II, 09/30/23: (Eddie & the Earthlings) Ohana Festival

Song Wishlist: Oceans, Brother, Alone, Let Me Sleep, full W.M.A., Hold On, Bugs/all of Vitalogy, Gremmie Out Of Control, Mankind, Around The Bend (full band), The Long Road, Don't Gimme No Lip, Pilate, Push Me Pull Me, All Those Yesterdays, Rival, Parting Ways, Ghost, Bu$hleaguer, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve, low octave Driftin', Strangest Tribe, Other Side, Undone, Fatal, Hitchhiker, Education, Black Red Yellow, Of the Earth, Love Reign O'er Me, Gonna See My Friend, Amongst the Waves, Santa Cruz, Infallible, Yellow Moon, Alright, Comes Then Goes, Got to Give, and the Mamasan Trilogy.

Wanted Posters: WPB '98, Tampa/WPB '00, Tampa '03, EV Batmobile '08        ISO: any picks, or setlists from any of my shows!
  • STONE?!?!?  SINGLE?!?!!
  • Been hoping for a live-to-2-track style album for awhile to capture their on stage energy. Sounds like this is as close as I'll get.

Like it or hate it, kudos to Watt for seeing the power of efficiency in them.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 384
    Will be interesting to see what our man Watt (“Wottman”) pulled out of them. I always feel like they’ve restrained themselves in the recent past due to the reality of having to perform new tracks on the road but, maybe he threaded a needle here.

In wottman we place our hopes.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235
    Heavy, more lead guitar from Mike and more soundgarden type drumming from Matt?!?  Uh FUCK YEAH
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,702
    Maybe the new album will be named Verse since that's how people say versus nowadays 
    I miss igotid88
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,551
    We should probably wait to hear anything before expectations are set. This seems to be a major problem in this community.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,423
    We should probably wait to hear anything before expectations are set. This seems to be a major problem in this community.

Wait to hear what exactly? 
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    No one get excited about anything 
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 721
    30+ years deep, the fanbase is still excited at the idea of new music before they hear it. A lot of bands would love to have that “major problem”. I can’t speak for anyone else but I’ve liked or loved every album. Odds are pretty good I’ll like this one too.
    kmcmanus said:
    30+ years deep, the fanbase is still excited at the idea of new music before they hear it. A lot of bands would love to have that “major problem”. I can’t speak for anyone else but I’ve liked or loved every album. Odds are pretty good I’ll like this one too.
    Same
    I miss igotid88
  • We should probably wait to hear anything before expectations are set. This seems to be a major problem in this community.

Having a belief in something prior to it occurring is the literal definition of an expectation.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,724
    igotid88 said:
    kmcmanus said:
    Same
    Ditto
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
    It will be all ballads
    I miss igotid88
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235

My expectations are always high for Pearl Jam. Not any higher for this one but I like hearing the things Mike said as those are three things I have been wanting them to do 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited December 2023
    kmcmanus said:
    Don't know of any fanbase that is not excited about new music. What bands do not have that "major problem"?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    edited December 2023
    I do believe the album will be good. But never trust pre-hype and a musician talking about how it sound again like [insert older era/album that the fanbase and/or the world list as the great era/album of the band].

HAVEN'T WE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM "SONIC BOOM" PEEEEPSSSSSS
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    You can add me to the 'cannot wait camp'
    edited December 2023
    I’m not saying don’t be excited for new tunes, I’m saying don’t hang your hat on Mike claiming it sounds like early material. Maybe it does and that would be great. But if it doesn’t, that’s 572 threads claiming that Mike lied to us all because they took him at his word hyping a new record, and didn’t hear a second of new music. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    PJNB said:

Wait to hear what exactly? 
    At least a single. 
    One thing is for sure. Opinions and discussion of new music has no effect on its quality or reception. 

Having said that, I’m with Jeff: “how can you judge art?”

We’re welcoming a daughter in March (first kid). I’m sure this collection of tracks will be very special to me years from now. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    I am excited.  Many bands have said they were going back to their roots, but I am hopeful on this one.  Eddie’s voice doesn’t have the power it had so there can never be a true return to their roots.
  • dwjmu84 said:
    One thing is for sure. Opinions and discussion of new music has no effect on its quality or reception. 

We’re welcoming a daughter in March (first kid). I’m sure this collection of tracks will be very special to me years from now. 
    Congrats! That's very exciting indeed. I have two boys (7 & 4) and it's wild how certain music that came out around their births has a permanent residence in my soul. I can remember exact moments I heard songs for the very first time because of their association with that time. I'm sure this new record will hold a similar space for you. Just make sure you allow room in your soul for these guitar solos.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 90,909
    Heavy, more lead guitar from Mike and more soundgarden type drumming from Matt?!?  Uh FUCK YEAH

Fuck yeah indeed! 

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,589
    Reach Down is one of my all time favorite songs.  Something along those lines would be great.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,404
    edited December 2023
    igotid88 said:
    It will be all ballads
    Yes. I would love if the whole album had a Sirensy feel to it. 

Give the people what we want, Andrew Watt.
    www.myspace.com
    The get in/get out, write the whole thing right then and use as few as takes as possible is a great approach. Probably as close to the raw approach of the vs/Vit/No Code as possible. 

dwjmu84 said:

Congrats! That's very exciting indeed. I have two boys (7 & 4) and it's wild how certain music that came out around their births has a permanent residence in my soul. I can remember exact moments I heard songs for the very first time because of their association with that time. I'm sure this new record will hold a similar space for you. Just make sure you allow room in your soul for these guitar solos.
    Thanks.  It's definitely going to be a memorable period.  I guess, selfishly, I hope the tracks are full of the elements of PJ I really enjoy. I remember a tough stretch for me personally, when LB came out.  It's my least favorite record and IMO their worst effort, but how much of that simply reflects what I was going through?  Chicken or egg?
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    I've never been disappointed by a Pearl Jam album, so I have no reason to believe this album will be any different. I don't need for them to "go back" to some way that they sounded in the distant past because I have really enjoyed the songs they've come up with in the recent past. I trust these artists to come up with music that excites me, because they have never failed to do so before. And I think one thing that has contributed to that is that, even though I am a different person than I was thirty years ago, one thing that hasn't changed is the attention that I give to new music from my favorite artists. When Vs. and Vitalogy came out, I listened to those albums every day for many months, but I also did the same for Lightning Bolt and Gigaton. I think, for a lot of people-- Pearl Jam fans but just music fans in general-- this is hard to do as they age. When you're 17 (and especially if you were 17 in 1992 when there were no smartphones, social media, podcasts or streaming and fewer TV channels), it's a lot easier to listen to an album incessantly (and emotions and hormones also have something to do with it) than it is in 2023 when you're 48 and have family and job responsibilities and spend a lot of your time on internet stuff that never used to occupy your time. If Pearl Jam released an album that sounded just like Ten today, there would be a lot of people who would stream it once or twice, go "meh" and rarely listen to it again, not because the music wasn't good but because they're not in the same place mentally and emotionally to discover what the music has to offer. (I think this is another downside of streaming; in the old days, to hear an album, you had to buy it, and when you bought it, you were invested in it. It had to be pretty bad for you not to give it a lot of listens. Streaming doesn't represent the same investment. If something doesn't grab people immediately, they move on to the zillion other things they can stream at minimal cost.)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.