Pearl Jam's new album ”Dark Matter” ! Single out!

Comments

• Of the earth is old and been done. This will be all new and fresg
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,279
    The track list for the new album is out:

1. Can't Deny Me
    2. Ole
    3. Get It Back
    4. Of the Earth (feat. Jeanne Tripplehorn)
    5. Cold Confession
    6. Let It Ride
    7. The Haves (full-band version)
    8. Arms Aloft
    9. Buckle Up (feat. BTS)
    10. Writer's Block ctd.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,273
    Of the earth is old and been done. This will be all new and fresg
    Agree. Only possibility is for it to be on Lost Dogs 2 if they ever do that 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,702
    BF25394 said:
    The track list for the new album is out:

1. Can't Deny Me
    2. Ole
    3. Get It Back
    4. Of the Earth (feat. Jeanne Tripplehorn)
    5. Cold Confession
    6. Let It Ride
    7. The Haves (full-band version)
    8. Arms Aloft
    9. Buckle Up (feat. BTS)
    10. Writer's Block ctd.

Nice
    I miss igotid88
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,236
    Folks still pining for 1992 Pearl Jam. 
    93 chris. get it right. :lol:
    Haha! My fave PJ era hands down though! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Posts: 6,152
    edited September 2023
    Let’s get a word salad stat made please and thank you.  How many words per album.

I want an album by album bar graph of how many words per album.

gigaton sucked ass. We all know that.  No one needs to feel embarrassed for Ed anymore.  Time to move on. 

GIVE US THE WORD SALAD PJ ALBUM BAR GRAPH WE WANT TO SEE.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Let’s get a word salad stat made please and thank you.  How many words per album.

gigaton sucked ass. We all know that.  No one needs to feel embarrassed for Ed anymore.  Time to move on. 

We don't all know that. I love Gigaton.

Regarding Word Salad, I'd also like to see a listing of average syllables per word. I'm thinking of subterfuge, dissertations, ramifications, clairvoyants, insemination, fortifications, periphery, circumscribed, circumsized, commandments, despondency, self-indulgent, etc. It's not that these words are used, it's that they often seem forced or out of place in song lyrics.

Having said that, I really love how Ed growls the word "ramifications" in "Grievance."
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,138
    Of the earth is old and been done. This will be all new and fresg
    Yep, fair call. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,702

Gigaton didn't suck so we all don't know/think that. I like the big words. If you can fit preternatural in a song good for you
    I miss igotid88
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,343
    edited September 2023

ChatGPT refuses to provide the graph we want to see!  

“I apologize, but I cannot create visual charts or graphs in this text-based format. However, I can provide you with a list of Pearl Jam albums ranked by release date, and you can research the word count of lyrics in each album separately if needed:

1. "Ten" (1991)
    2. "Vs." (1993)
    3. "Vitalogy" (1994)
    4. "No Code" (1996)
    5. "Yield" (1998)
    6. "Binaural" (2000)
    7. "Riot Act" (2002)
    8. "Pearl Jam" (2006)
    9. "Backspacer" (2009)
    10. "Lightning Bolt" (2013)
    11. "Gigaton" (2020)

You can search for the specific word count of lyrics in each album through reliable sources or music databases.”
    Post edited by CO278952 on
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,343
    I'm unable to provide the exact word count for the lyrics of "Seven O'Clock" by Pearl Jam as it requires access to the specific lyrics database, which I don't have. However, you can easily find the word count by searching for the lyrics online or using a lyrics website or app. Just input the song title and artist, and it should provide you with the lyrics along with a word count.
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG
    CO278952 said:
    I'm unable to provide the exact word count for the lyrics of "Seven O'Clock" by Pearl Jam as it requires access to the specific lyrics database, which I don't have. However, you can easily find the word count by searching for the lyrics online or using a lyrics website or app. Just input the song title and artist, and it should provide you with the lyrics along with a word count.
    The lyrics published on the Pearl Jam site, which do not include the repetition of the "much to be done" refrain, total 314 words.

Has anyone checked to see if the lyrics to "Never Destination," which are mixed up and incomplete in the liner notes, are correct on the PJ website? The website lyrics clock in at a mere 251 words.
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    I'm stoked we're getting a new record a "mere" 4 years after the last one. 
    Its pretty crazy that that 4 years feels like 12 months........
  • pdalowsky said:
    I'm stoked we're getting a new record a "mere" 4 years after the last one. 
    Its pretty crazy that that 4 years feels like 12 months........
    I have noticed that my sense of time seems off since the pandemic occurred. Granted I am getting older so time seems to accelerate anyway, but I often find myself saying something happened 2 or 3 years ago, only to be told it was actually 5,6 or 7 years ago. 
  • I'm right with you there 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I feel the other way about the pandemic, that things that happened five years ago feel like they happened twenty years ago.
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 615
    BF25394 said:
    Really? God's Dice is an awesome song, I'd much rather hear it than MYM....
    Same
    I'm of the school that I would love to hear "Gods' Dice"* and other songs like it that are live rarities, but only if the band is going to practice them. It is very deflating to be at a show and recognize the opening strains of something rarely played live only to have it quickly devolve into a shambolic mess where Ed mixes up verses and forgets swaths of lyrics. There is a delicate balance between preserving Ed's voice and practicing and touring enough so that these songs stay sharp.

* The Pearl Jam song is polytheistic, if that helps people remember where to put the apostrophe.
    Perfectly said.  I don't hate "Gods' Dice" on Binaural.  For me, it just an ok album track.  But if you're going to pull out a 20+ year old average album track, please nail it.  He built it up in Chicago like we were getting some kind of treat.  It was a 3-minute waste of time.  And I'm one of the superfans... think what the casual fan thought of that... completely forgettable.  So who are they really pleasing there?  Botching a rarely played song for the superfans?!  I don't get it. I totally agree with these comments that it is disappointing to see PJ botch a song live.  I've been to tons of rock shows where the average person couldn't pick out one misstep in a 2-hour performance.  With PJ, there are sooo many examples of songs devolving into a "shambolic mess" (as mentioned above). 

I guess, to a certain degree, that's what you're going to get if you have a band that has 100+ songs they might play on any given night.  I don't know, changing the setlist is great... to a point.  Then it's not.  I've heard talk that Eddie might use a prompter (with lyrics) on occasion... Hell, have one up there for every damn song.  I'd rather have great performances, and botched lyrics are the most clearly evident mistakes.  

And I'll double down on my opinion that some songs should just be retired... these are 60 year-old men.  I don't need to hear Eddie trying to knock out "Blood".  Play to your strengths!
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    or change it up. slow the tempo, drop it down a key. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Maybe play "Blood," but do it as a waltz. "It's my blood/It's my blood/One-two-three/One-two-three..."
  • Blood isn't a good song . It's a bad example 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• God's dice doesn't need a scream or harsh voice. But yeah have the lyrics to hand it's his only job really 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• BF25394 said:
    Maybe play "Blood," but do it as a waltz. "It's my blood/It's my blood/One-two-three/One-two-three..."
     :open_mouth:    with jazz hands doing a little dance
    "And the young, they can lose hope
    'Cause they can't see beyond today
    The wisdom that the old can't give away, hey
    Constant recoil
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone."
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    lets say 12 songs on the new record
    6- rockers
    3 mid tempo
    3 ballads

Regardless who produces, Ballads & mid tempos will always be there,,,,,its just how hard do you wanna rock on those 6 ;)

its exciting they are willing to shake it up a little at this stage, cant wait for the preorder

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,589
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I am pretty excited about Andrew Watt, to be honest.  Not saying I like all the songs on Earthlings, but I like a lot of them.  I would love to see what he could do with the full band, getting everyones "sound" on there.  

Whatever, just give me new music. 
    What I did like about Earthlings, is that every song got its' own thought out production and identity and time and focus given. There are a lot of cool production (I feel) on that album and it sounds like they had creative and ideas in the studio. I also think most of the songs are quite good.

But the other side of that coin is that it feels like a compilation album, it doesn't have one identity. I like my albums having one mood/identity all through. Compare the shattered nature of all those different sounding songs to e.g. eh... hmm.... Neil Youngs Harvest Moon, or Guns N Roses Appetite for Destruction or Eddie Vedder Into the Wild where it feels like you are listening to one thought out piece and a producer with an overarching idea of what that very album is. 

I feel like that is the problem with the "newer" PJ albums too. It feels like five different people coming in with five different ideas of songs and they do them in whatever way they are done to fill up 10-12 songs. Doesn't feel like the songs are being brought up and nurtured and gone through a producers/or bands filter of "this is what this album is and sounds like". But I guess that just isn't part of the bands MO, and never was. 
    I would agree with this, at least the Earthlings album. It does feel like a complilation....which is fine to me for a Vedder Solo album, with a new producer and new bandmates, etc....Just go out, throw some stuff out there, and see what happens. 

I dont think I agree that  the newer PJ albums feel like compilations, though.  I think the last 3 in particular have songs that are all connected in some way to each other, with maybe one or two oddities in there.  Gigaton in particular seems to have a bigger theme...climate change, Trump, dealing with division, etc.  But I DO agree that maybe not each song was given its particular thought out identity like Earthlings.  I think Gigaton would be a bit more streamlined and tighter if Watt had produced.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 566
    My one take on Gigaton songs that will probably go away after this new album that I really hope doesn’t is Retrograde. From the shows I’ve been to I’ve seen every song from the album but Comes Then Goes obviously and even though I’ve seen Retrograde at Ohana, at Austin 2 it blew me away. The ending is unlike any other part of a PJ song and I distinctly remember saying wow which isn’t something I said during the Backspacer or LB songs for those tours.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
    MSG 1+2 '24
  • Buckle up > Retrograde
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,040
    Buckle up > Retrograde
    woaaahhhhhhhhhhhh LOL
  • pdalowsky said:
    Buckle up > Retrograde
    woaaahhhhhhhhhhhh LOL
    Always bet on Stone
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,235
    Buckle up > Retrograde
    Whoa. Retrograde is my favorite off of Gigaton (the last 90 seconds is phenomenal). Buckle up is one of the worst songs PJ has ever put out. 
  • Buckle up > Retrograde
    Whoa. Retrograde is my favorite off of Gigaton (the last 90 seconds is phenomenal). Buckle up is one of the worst songs PJ has ever put out. 
    Okey. I'll re-listen to Retrograde.