Want do you think is the best and worst decision the band has made over their career?

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,104
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

Best: The creative writing process (non lyrics - I'm talking the music/riffs/instruments)

Worst: Eddie taking primary lead on creative writing process 
    I don't think he took the lead. I think he wants them to contribute more.
    Ed still steers the ship. 

The other guys do contribute - they have mentioned many times that everyone brings their work in and they decide if they want to move a piece forward. I still get the sense that Ed had final veto though, based on whether something sits well with him at the time (gut feeling).

Remember Stone trying again and again to get someone interested in (I think) the G2F riff?
    In Hiding I believe. I think mostly because he's the main lyricist. I don't think he went in saying "I'm the captain now". Like most people are making it out to be.

The dude decided to take a higher percentage of the album profits than the rest of the band in the 90s -- how is that not a "i'm the captain now" ?

Or am I misremembering Kim Neelys book?
    Ouch!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

Best: The creative writing process (non lyrics - I'm talking the music/riffs/instruments)

The other guys do contribute - they have mentioned many times that everyone brings their work in and they decide if they want to move a piece forward. I still get the sense that Ed had final veto though, based on whether something sits well with him at the time (gut feeling).

Remember Stone trying again and again to get someone interested in (I think) the G2F riff?
    In Hiding I believe. I think mostly because he's the main lyricist. I don't think he went in saying "I'm the captain now". Like most people are making it out to be.

The dude decided to take a higher percentage of the album profits than the rest of the band in the 90s -- how is that not a "i'm the captain now" ?

I don't know anything about the book, but in general royalties go to who wrote the song, and Ed has his name on more songs than the other guys.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    edited January 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

He writes most of the lyrics. That's how it usually goes. Plus the music. Then yes he's going to get more. My point was that he's not telling the other band members to shut up and only play my songs. They're the ones are deferring most of it to him. And plus you guys crap on Stone's contributions the last few albums. 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • More jeff songs is the  answer
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,116
    edited January 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

He writes most of the lyrics. That's how it usually goes. Plus the music. Then yes he's going to get more. My point was that he's not telling the other band members to shut up and only play my songs. They're the ones are deferring most of it to him. And plus you guys crap on Stone's contributions the last few albums. 
    Referring to the book - it didn’t have to do with percentage of lyrics written like you guys claim. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    EV admitted in his last interview that he took more control during Vitalogy as he felt like he was, like it or not, the face of the band. So he wanted the songs to sound like they were his, not someone else’s.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • EV admitted in his last interview that he took more control during Vitalogy as he felt like he was, like it or not, the face of the band. So he wanted the songs to sound like they were his, not someone else’s.
    Maybe work on not being the face of the band instead of making Pearl Jam into your E Street Band.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

KISS split everything compoetely equal. 

Also, refering to the book - it didn’t have to do with percentage of lyrics written like you guys claim. 
    KISS is far from the only band to have done this. 

I have to say that was the one nugget from that book which really stuck out.  The uneven split of the pot seems to somewhat contradict the perceived ethos of the band (EV in particular). I give Stone, Mike and Jeff and to a lesser extent, Matt most of the credit for the longevity of the band. 
    I also thought EV’s reasoning behind getting the larger cut was pretty weak and demonstrated a “rock star” mentality he was vehemently trying to admonish. To me, it reeked of self-importance.  Having said that, if the band are all good with it, then I don’t worry about it. It’s kind of like a swinger couple, I highly doubt that type of arrangement would work for me, but who am I to tell another couple how to operate their marriage? 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,934
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

Also, refering to the book - it didn’t have to do with percentage of lyrics written like you guys claim. 

I have to say that was the one nugget from that book which really stuck out.  The uneven split of the pot seems to somewhat contradict the perceived ethos of the band (EV in particular). I give Stone, Mike and Jeff and to a lesser extent, Matt most of the credit for the longevity of the band. 
    I also thought EV’s reasoning behind getting the larger cut was pretty weak and demonstrated a “rock star” mentality he was vehemently trying to admonish. To me, it reeked of self-importance.  Having said that, if the band are all good with it, then I don’t worry about it. It’s kind of like a swinger couple, I highly doubt that type of arrangement would work for me, but who am I to tell another couple how to operate their marriage? 
    If you read Springsteen’s autobiography he is very open about how things work financially and organizationally between him and the E Street Band.  He makes no apologies for being “the boss” and and taking the lion’s share of the profits and making the creative decisions.  He writes that he is very generous in how he compensates the band members but there are limits to what he will pay people.  And these were guys he was friends with since the beginning. This eventually led to Steven Van Zandt leaving the band due to disagreements about money and how much input he had into the music. No surprise, Van Zandt said years later that it was a huge mistake and that he was wrong for leaving.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• EV admitted in his last interview that he took more control during Vitalogy as he felt like he was, like it or not, the face of the band. So he wanted the songs to sound like they were his, not someone else’s.
    And it resulted in my favorite PJ album 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,116
    edited January 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

I know. KISS just stuck in my head. In how surprisingly fair, democratic and "we want it to be like The Beatles were everyone sings and contributes!" they were in the beginning. 

And yes, the one think I remember from the book is that part. Because I found it baffling. 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited January 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

I know. KISS just stuck in my head. In how surprisingly fair, democratic and "we want it to be like The Beatles were everyone sings and contributes!" they were in the beginning. 

And yes, the one think I remember from the book is that part. Because I found it baffling. 
    Sure. Are all Kiss fans this delusional?  Not in the army. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    Worst: Platinum Tickets
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

Sure. Are all Kiss fans this delusional?  Not in the army. 
    I don't know what this means?

But yes. Unmasked is unrated.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    this.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Ed deserves more money than the rest of the group.  He is the one that can’t go out in public without being mobbed (at least back in the day).  He is the face of the band and feels the most pressure because of it.  Anyone in the band could be replaced and it could go forward except Ed.  

People act like MLB was going somewhere with a singer who belonged in the 80’s.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't know if that was their decision 
    I miss igotid88
  • Ed deserves more money than the rest of the group.  He is the one that can’t go out in public without being mobbed (at least back in the day).  He is the face of the band and feels the most pressure because of it.  Anyone in the band could be replaced and it could go forward except Ed.  

People act like MLB was going somewhere with a singer who belonged in the 80’s.  
    It wouldn’t even have started without Stone Gossards initial song ideas. He should get extra for that for life. The ”I wrote Alive” kickback. 

People act like Eddie Vedder was going somewhere surfing in San Diego.  

The Friends cast demanded the same salary through their ten season run. Even with Jennifer Aniston getting the most attention. Including from the studio who thought she deserved more money and spotlight than the rest. 

So every Friend made the same money for the last episode. But Eddie made more than the rest of the band from the episode playing Yellow Ledbetter. 

To each their own, but Friends > Pearl Jam in this scenario. Less market economy capitalism within that group of legends. Pure rock and roll. 

• apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    It’s not even close to the same thing.  The cast of a tv show all do the same thing act.  If one of them directed or wrote they would get paid more then the others. Also, they work on salary and have contracts, NBC decided how much they got paid.  So when they were fighting to get paid the same they were fighting a network, not each other.  The whole these people do it so Pearl Jam should are all such terrible arguments.
  • apirk72 said:
    It’s not even close to the same thing.  The cast of a tv show all do the same thing act.  If one of them directed or wrote they would get paid more then the others. Also, they work on salary and have contracts, NBC decided how much they got paid.  So when they were fighting to get paid the same they were fighting a network, not each other.  The whole these people do it so Pearl Jam should are all such terrible arguments.
    You are just making up arbitrary differences.
    edited January 2022
    apirk72 said:
    To be fair… Stone always told Ed “ I'll be there for you (When the rain starts to pour).”

😂
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

EV admitted in his last interview that he took more control during Vitalogy as he felt like he was, like it or not, the face of the band. So he wanted the songs to sound like they were his, not someone else’s.
    And it resulted in my favorite PJ album 
    Same! But it was also a product of what the band creatively brought to the table at the time, even if EV steered the ship.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was just thinking to myself that this is the new “worst” on my list. But PJ as a band hasn’t done this yet so we will see if they follow suit.
    mcgruff10 said:
    I was just thinking to myself that this is the new “worst” on my list. But PJ as a band hasn’t done this yet so we will see if they follow suit.
    Yea until they charge $500 for front row seats. Then you can say it's the worst
    I miss igotid88
  • If they did. People on here would defend it with ”well are you the same person that you were in your 20s?!?!”
    If they did. People on here would defend it with ”well are you the same person that you were in your 20s?!?!”
    Lots of solo artists are. Many newer artists are. I'm not saying I would like it. But do you make the same you did 30 years ago?
    I miss igotid88
    They can’t be making much money off record sales these days.  Even though I would hate it, I couldn’t blame them if they charged $500 for a front row seat. 

• mbowersmbowers Posts: 109
    on2legs said:
    They can’t be making much money off record sales these days.  Even though I would hate it, I couldn’t blame them if they charged $500 for a front row seat. 
    Wait, only $500 for guaranteed front row?  Sign me up for a whole leg…
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    If they did. People on here would defend it with ”well are you the same person that you were in your 20s?!?!”

I had to buy a ticket from a scalper in order to see them in my 20s.