Want do you think is the best and worst decision the band has made over their career?

Comments

• Best: fan club tickets tied with varying setlists. Finishing Wrigley 2013. 

Worst:  maybe I’m a homer, but there’s not much I can criticize. Most decisions don’t effect me and the ones that have, have been positive. (Raleigh cancelled resulting in travel hiccups, but I ended up with band signed tickets). 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Was bound to evolve into an album ranking lol

Which makes no sense based on the question
    Yes but you saw where the thread went fairly quickly in regards to “worst decisions”
  • Numbers 1 and 11 are easy. It's tougher in between though. 
    Your bottom three are also my bottom three but definitely not in that order.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    Mike's Stevie Ray Vaughn hat phase was a bad idea.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,821
    CopperTom said:
    Best: Official Bootlegs

Worst: Years of poor communication with its fanbase.

There's times when I really wonder how many people 10C has hired since 2000.

My member number is 279xxx and I joined in January 2003. A few years after that, Tim Bierman said something about how the club averages maybe 250-300k (IIRC) active members at any time.

Now they're well up above 600k...but still, there's a lot of empty numbers.

I get that they love small businesses, but they're really not a small business.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Mike's Stevie Ray Vaughn hat phase was a bad idea.
    All hats have not been right to me. Eds fedora jeffs recent long top hat thing.  I don't get it. Not  my head though  so crack on lads
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJPantsPJPants Posts: 76
    Best:  Different setlist every show + new art (poster) every show
    Worst:  Eddie smoking cigarettes
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    it would honestly turn me off too. good thing I'm not a fan of kid rock or ted nugent. however, it's a tad surprising, since this band's politics have been front and centre from the literal "big bang" of the band. maybe people's politics changed over the years since then, and then it started to bug them?
    I don’t think politics were the focus of their music for the first 10 years, with the exception of a couple songs. Maybe on-stage talks or wiring “pro-choice” on his arm, but just listening to the first several albums it’s more about anger and lost love than politics.
    Alive, Breath, Release, Y-Led, RVM, Elderly Woman, GTF, Present Tense, I got Id, etc are all amazing songs despite whatever you’re political views are.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    Best: fan club tickets tied with varying setlists. Finishing Wrigley 2013. 

Worst:  maybe I’m a homer, but there’s not much I can criticize. Most decisions don’t effect me and the ones that have, have been positive. (Raleigh cancelled resulting in travel hiccups, but I ended up with band signed tickets). 
    cool. do tell! 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mace1229 said:
    it would honestly turn me off too. good thing I'm not a fan of kid rock or ted nugent. however, it's a tad surprising, since this band's politics have been front and centre from the literal "big bang" of the band. maybe people's politics changed over the years since then, and then it started to bug them?
    I don’t think politics were the focus of their music for the first 10 years, with the exception of a couple songs. Maybe on-stage talks or wiring “pro-choice” on his arm, but just listening to the first several albums it’s more about anger and lost love than politics.
    Alive, Breath, Release, Y-Led, RVM, Elderly Woman, GTF, Present Tense, I got Id, etc are all amazing songs despite whatever you’re political views are.
    you're right, WMA was the big one from recorded output, I should have clarified that it was more their on stage banter that made their politics easy to identify. 

www.headstonesband.com

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Iconic IMO. I'll always love those early years and the hodge podge of styles. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,229

cool. do tell! 

Pretty much everyone who had 10club tickets to the Raleigh show received their tickets shipped by 10club in the mail signed by the whole band. Both pair of 10club tickets were signed.
  • Mike's Stevie Ray Vaughn hat phase was a bad idea.
    100%
    demetrios said:

cool. do tell! 

Pretty much everyone who had 10club tickets to the Raleigh show received their tickets shipped by 10club in the mail signed by the whole band. Both pair of 10club tickets were signed.
    wicked! 

www.headstonesband.com

• bmurray06 said:
    I'm going to switch it up and give my most under appreciated decision in the history of the band.... Eddie taking a break and going on tour backing up Mike Watts along with Dave Grohl. After all the craziness with Kurt dying and the attention getting too overwhelming on Eddie and co., we ended up with a more relaxed Eddie, an amazing start to one of my favorites 'Habit', and obviously the start of the Foo Fighters during that Mike Watts Van Tour. Also, if anyone hasn't listened to Ball-Hog of Tugboat? just yet, do it now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVroZFSYP00

wow. thanks for posting that. killer
  • demetrios said:

cool. do tell! 

You sure?  I’m aware of 1 other person that received them signed. 
    mike watt is legendary, and i'd love to see these 3 play, but man, as a bass player, his bass tone just pains me. it sounds like a giant fart coming out of an amp. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949

I was sort of kidding because I think Mike has made some comment that he went a little far there. Being 21 in 1991, I do like seeing the old photos and remembering the don't give a shit style that contrasted with the 80s. I even grew my hair out for a bit of an attempt at Chris Cornell hair. I figured I should grow it while I have it!
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,934
    demetrios said:

cool. do tell! 

The signed tickets were randomly inserted for people who requested the stubs to be mailed.  They also included the sticker from the cancelled show. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,229
    on2legs said:
    demetrios said:

cool. do tell! 

The signed tickets were randomly inserted for people who requested the stubs to be mailed.  They also included the sticker from the cancelled show. 

Ah!

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,821
    It would have been really cool if they signed for a $X donation to Vitalogy Foundation with money donated to a equality/equity organization.

They probably could have raised a ton of money.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Best-Attempting to play their entire catalogue over a four night run in Philly ‘09. Together as a whole those shows are legendary.

Worst-Playing large Stadiums. Intimacy was lost.
  • bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 144
    edited January 2022
    mike watt is legendary, and i'd love to see these 3 play, but man, as a bass player, his bass tone just pains me. it sounds like a giant fart coming out of an amp. 
    Calling Mike Watt out on his bass flatulence? Now you just sound like a Jackass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aDIud_1hH4
    Post edited by bmurray06 on
    meh. i've been called worse. 

www.headstonesband.com

• fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    edited January 2022
    Best decision: getting as many tickets as they can for the Ten Club

Worst decision: sticking with Brendan O’Brien for too long. I don’t think we get an album like Gigaton without mixing it up and using a guy like Josh Evans. I’d love to know what they could have made had they done that 10 years earlier.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 541

Worst decision: sticking with Brendan O’Brien for too long. I don’t think we get an album like Gigaton without mixing it up and using a guy like Josh Evans. I’d love to know what they could have made had they done that 10 years earlier.
    My biggest “fly on the wall” situation in my life is what happened with the Can’t Deny Me/Brendan O’Brien/Forthcoming Album. Even above the Belichick/Brady/Malcolm Butler/2017 fallout. (New England fans will know what in alluding to.) 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15

i was actually going to say the same thing about BOB. then i looked back and realized, while he produced the albums at the bottom of my favourite lists, he also produced some of the top ones. 

www.headstonesband.com

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770

We had Binaural, Riot Act, and Pearl Jam even though he was involved somewhat on those records. He also was involved in Gigaton 
    I miss igotid88
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393

I agree re: BoB but they needed a producer to help them push themselves out of their comfort zone? Really after 30 yrs they couldn’t see it for themselves? Or maybe they did and made the call.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 144
    meh. i've been called worse. 
    Just went through a Mike Watt youtube rabbit hole last night, and now I hear the noise fluctuance....in a surprising good way.