Want do you think is the best and worst decision the band has made over their career?

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,187
    Mike's Stevie Ray Vaughn hat phase was a bad idea.
    Iconic IMO. I'll always love those early years and the hodge podge of styles. 
    Agreed those days it felt free&easy vibe anything goes!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Best: Ten, Vs., Vitalogy
    Worst: Backspacer, Lightning Bolt, Gigaton
    best response
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • igotid88 said:
    Best: Birth of No. Most likely kept the band together
    Worst: Only for my own selfish reasons. The birth of no. I would have liked to have seen them on TV more during vs, Vitalogy, and No Code. What if they had performed Daughter or go on Letterman in 93/94? Or made music videos for those albums. They went from being the biggest band of the 90s to "they still make music?". Obviously they did well for themselves. Are first ballot Hall of Famers. And so forth. But sucks when casual fans are asked about 90s bands they're not mentioned as much.
    They did Daughter on SNL in 94 and Animal on MTV VMA's in 93

First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Best: varied sets, official boots, getting fans good seats as much as they can

worst: I agree we can’t say “fans” as the band can’t control their fans craziness, entitlement. But, at times I think the band gets a pass on how the fans are treated due to the early days of how well the fans were treated. The last 15 years I don’t think this band is anywhere near as fan friendly as they used to be or as good to fans as other bands are today. I could cite some examples I’ll just leave it at that. 
  • Best: varied sets, official boots, getting fans good seats as much as they can

worst: I agree we can’t say “fans” as the band can’t control their fans craziness, entitlement. But, at times I think the band gets a pass on how the fans are treated due to the early days of how well the fans were treated. The last 15 years I don’t think this band is anywhere near as fan friendly as they used to be or as good to fans as other bands are today. I could cite some examples I’ll just leave it at that. 
    It's funny that if you go back to 2000, people would call Pearl Jam a band of the people and call Metallica greedy and not fan-friendly. This has 100% flipped. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,229
    It would have been really cool if they signed for a $X donation to Vitalogy Foundation with money donated to a equality/equity organization.

They probably could have raised a ton of money.

Indeed!

Also wish they do more & more raffled signed Pearl Jam goodies contest. The highest bidder on a signed Pearl Jam item auctions kills the fun.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    Best: varied sets, official boots, getting fans good seats as much as they can

Did you ever try to get tickets in the early days? I'll take the fan friendly process of the last 20 years over how it used to be.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393

Did you ever try to get tickets in the early days? I'll take the fan friendly process of the last 20 years over how it used to be.
    Agreed - not sure why the band would be considered not fan friendly based on ticketing alone. They could easily just do what the big artists do (no fan club tix and jack up prices to market).
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    The only thing I think that has been kind of crappy towards the fans would be the fan club singles, which was  a legit grievance.  Everything else is basically based on fans greed and them just wanting more.   Metallica was brought up and the whole reason they were considered not fan friendly was because they were against people stealing their music online.  If all you want to do is take from people you probably also shouldn't call them greedy or not fan friendly.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    igotid88 said:
    Best: Birth of No. Most likely kept the band together
    Worst: Only for my own selfish reasons. The birth of no. I would have liked to have seen them on TV more during vs, Vitalogy, and No Code. What if they had performed Daughter or go on Letterman in 93/94? Or made music videos for those albums. They went from being the biggest band of the 90s to "they still make music?". Obviously they did well for themselves. Are first ballot Hall of Famers. And so forth. But sucks when casual fans are asked about 90s bands they're not mentioned as much.
    They did Daughter on SNL in 94 and Animal on MTV VMA's in 93

I know. I was talking about performing on Letterman. Maybe even Late Night with Conan. Most bands or artists perform a song on more than one show is my point 
    I miss igotid88
    Best: Ten, Vs., Vitalogy
    best response
    Worst
    I miss igotid88
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 155
    Controversial hot take:

Best: The creative writing process (non lyrics - I'm talking the music/riffs/instruments)

Worst: Eddie taking primary lead on creative writing process 
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    igotid88 said:
    Best: Ten, Vs., Vitalogy
    best response
    Worst
    I never knew I could generate such controversial posts... :)
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

Best: The creative writing process (non lyrics - I'm talking the music/riffs/instruments)

I don't think he took the lead. I think he wants them to contribute more.
    I miss igotid88
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    well he did in the 90's. now? I think you're right igotidd88. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    well he did in the 90's. now? I think you're right igotidd88. 
    Yup.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    edited January 2022
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

Ed still steers the ship. 

The other guys do contribute - they have mentioned many times that everyone brings their work in and they decide if they want to move a piece forward. I still get the sense that Ed had final veto though, based on whether something sits well with him at the time (gut feeling).

Remember Stone trying again and again to get someone interested in (I think) the G2F riff?
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

The other guys do contribute - they have mentioned many times that everyone brings their work in and they decide if they want to move a piece forward. I still get the sense that Ed had final veto though, based on whether something sits well with him at the time (gut feeling).

Remember Stone trying again and again to get someone interested in (I think) the G2F riff?
    In Hiding I believe. I think mostly because he's the main lyricist. I don't think he went in saying "I'm the captain now". Like most people are making it out to be.

I miss igotid88
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,842
    edited January 2022

Yes I did try to get tickets in the early days. I didn’t mention tickets or fan club tickets in my “worst” part. 
    But since you brought it up, I am shut out more now, and tickets have been harder to get, and fan club seats have got progressively worse over the years. But I don’t think of any of it as the worst part of their career and that why’s I didn’t originally say it in my post. 
    And directly in my post I say they get a pass today due to how it was in the early days 
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 541
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

Following up on the hot take. One wonders if Stone was still the lead. Everything that guy touches turns to gold, in my opinion. Pearl Jam, MLB, Green River, Brad, Painted Shield, solo work. Dude can write and play. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949

Yes I did try to get tickets in the early days. I didn’t mention tickets or fan club tickets in my “worst” part. 
    But since you brought it up, I am shut out more now, and tickets have been harder to get, and fan club seats have got progressively worse over the years. But I don’t think of any of it as the worst part of their career and that why’s I didn’t originally say it in my post. 
    And directly in my post I say they get a pass today due to how it was in the early days 

I suppose the ambiguity in your post about 'fan friendly' leaves it up to interpretation. I don't know what the band used to do that was so fan friendly, maybe exclusive 10c shows? I find the ease of getting tickets to for a band with a high demand live show fan friendly, as well as bringing back GA shows.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,985
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

In Hiding I believe. I think mostly because he's the main lyricist. I don't think he went in saying "I'm the captain now". Like most people are making it out to be.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,985
    LBC^
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,229
    Best decision: getting as many tickets as they can for the Ten Club

Worst decision: sticking with Brendan O’Brien for too long. I don’t think we get an album like Gigaton without mixing it up and using a guy like Josh Evans. I’d love to know what they could have made had they done that 10 years earlier.

Josh is great but I do miss Brendan O' Brien's work with Pearl Jam.

Let's see what Andrew Watt will bring.

• BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Best Always playing different sets
    Worst Getting Boom to play on songs that have no keyboards such as Alive & Porch, WHY?
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    BALLBOY said:
    Worst Getting Boom to play on songs that have no keyboards such as Alive & Porch, WHY?
    Agreed. They aren’t the E-Street Band! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    BALLBOY said:
    Definitely agree with your worst!
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    Having keys on Save You gets on my tits as well.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,116
    edited January 2022
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Habit4me said:
    Controversial hot take:

The dude decided to take a higher percentage of the album profits than the rest of the band in the 90s -- how is that not a "i'm the captain now" ?

Or am I misremembering Kim Neelys book?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • BALLBOY said:
    Agreed. They aren’t the E-Street Band! 
    They sure do try to make it into a Bruce Springsteen-type of live show though. So... keys on the songs and tambourines for the children.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"