Want do you think is the best and worst decision the band has made over their career?

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    smile6680 said:
    It's weird to me that I absolutely love every other album before the last three. I should probably give gigaton another shot. The other two are just not very good in my opinion. 
    If you own Funko Pops, your opinion is invalid. 
    well then, colour me invalid. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    edited January 2022
    I don't buy that garbage. Only posters from concerts I actually attended. Including some from the 98 tour before they went through the roof.

sorry. I meant to quote the person who made reference to buying funko pops.
    Post edited by smile6680 on
  • mlyonsmlyons Posts: 10
    hrd2imgn said:
    Best: opening a cassette demo they got in the mail

Worst: letting politics get in the way of their music.
    how did they do that...by writing Bushleaguer?  I think YOU let YOUR politics get in the way of their music.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    smile6680 said:
    It's weird to me that I absolutely love every other album before the last three. I should probably give gigaton another shot. The other two are just not very good in my opinion. 
    Opinions can be wrong. 
  • mlyons said:
    hrd2imgn said:
    Best: opening a cassette demo they got in the mail

Worst: letting politics get in the way of their music.
    how did they do that...by writing Bushleaguer?  I think YOU let YOUR politics get in the way of their music.
    Well said.
    People who “don’t like politics in music” actually don’t like politics in music that aren’t aligned with their own political views.  
    Maybe go back to listening to all your boy-band records for more fluff music that doesn’t offend your strong right-wing beliefs. 
    For confirmation-bias music check out Jason Aldean or another bro-country loser. That’ll work for ya. 

it would honestly turn me off too. good thing I'm not a fan of kid rock or ted nugent. however, it's a tad surprising, since this band's politics have been front and centre from the literal "big bang" of the band. maybe people's politics changed over the years since then, and then it started to bug them?

www.headstonesband.com

• Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    I can't believe anyone puts Gigaton in the bottom 3. that's just blasphemy to me (and I kinda find it odd that people are putting albums in their answers for "decisions" the band has made in the first place-I don't really consider art a decision). 
    Gigaton would've been awesome if it was in the vain of Dance of the Clairvoyants. They made one truly great out-of-the-box song and then spent the rest of the album retreading Lightning Bolt which is by far the worst album they've made. And writing, making, and releasing an album is definitely a "decision" they made. 
    it would honestly turn me off too. good thing I'm not a fan of kid rock or ted nugent. however, it's a tad surprising, since this band's politics have been front and centre from the literal "big bang" of the band. maybe people's politics changed over the years since then, and then it started to bug them?
    I’ll confess that if Wango Tango comes on, I don’t turn the station. 
  • it would honestly turn me off too. good thing I'm not a fan of kid rock or ted nugent. however, it's a tad surprising, since this band's politics have been front and centre from the literal "big bang" of the band. maybe people's politics changed over the years since then, and then it started to bug them?
    Stranglehold by the Nuge is an amazing song! 
    Having said that I don’t support their (Kid Rock as well) politics, buy their records or go to their concerts. 

I also don’t go on their fan club forum and complain that their political views detract from my enjoyment of the music and that it’s the worst decision they ever made.
    I can't believe anyone puts Gigaton in the bottom 3. that's just blasphemy to me (and I kinda find it odd that people are putting albums in their answers for "decisions" the band has made in the first place-I don't really consider art a decision). 
    Gigaton would've been awesome if it was in the vain of Dance of the Clairvoyants. They made one truly great out-of-the-box song and then spent the rest of the album retreading Lightning Bolt which is by far the worst album they've made. And writing, making, and releasing an album is definitely a "decision" they made. 
    interesting. I think LB has basically 4 or 5 decent songs and the rest should have been left on the cutting room floor. I don't find Gigaton similar to LB at ALL. 

www.headstonesband.com

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    They're both very different albums. Both still great 
    I miss igotid88
  • I’d take Gigaton over LB or Backspacer any day. They really made a good one this time. 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    IMHO gigaton was their best album since yield.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    I’d take Gigaton over LB or Backspacer any day. They really made a good one this time. 

Yes! Gigaton definitely jockeying for a top 3 slot on my list. Of which Yield is not towards the top. ;)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Looks like we’re working on getting the second locked thread of the day. JFC 
    bbiggs said:
    Ha ha. 
    bbiggs said:

Needs more Bushleaguer talk.
    bbiggs said:
    why would this one get locked?

www.headstonesband.com

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    IMO Backspacer is one of their better decisions.  

They needed to get back to straight forward simple rock songs.  Self titled is my least favorite and Riot Act doesn’t rank very high on my list either.  Backspacer is an easy listen just like Ten is.  The rock songs flow. The ballads are good.  I don’t mind radio friendly PJ.  It’s a Hollywood-made, light and airy PJ album.  I love it.  
    I'm with you on BS, but I don't like LB that much. It seems like it was trying somewhat the same thing but took itself too seriously at the same time. 

www.headstonesband.com

• tschavtschav Posts: 2,831
    edited January 2022
    Best: unique live shows - it gave us more of everything to nerd out and/or buy (posters, boots, beers)

Worst: Not upping their game to watch shows until the pandemic. I’d be pretty content buying a DVD/stream at the same frequency as the vaults. I remember a friend of mine was aiming to do video boots around 2003 (he did it for another band at the time). Glad to see them sharing some shows, but I’d be more than willing to drop $$$ for Vault 2 on vinyl and dvd
  • IMO Backspacer is one of their better decisions.  

They needed to get back to straight forward simple rock songs.  Self titled is my least favorite and Riot Act doesn’t rank very high on my list either.  Backspacer is an easy listen just like Ten is.  The rock songs flow. The ballads are good.  I don’t mind radio friendly PJ.  It’s a Hollywood-made, light and airy PJ album.  I love it.  
    Shows how different we all are. I got into PJ in between Riot Act and Avocado so those 2 hold a huge place in my heart. I have no idea if they’re objectively good or not, but they’re some of my favorites.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I love backspacer too.  Feels like a tight little rock album with a few quiet songs tossed in.  My only real gripe is that it's not longer.

I think Lightning Bolt would be my least favourite.   Avacado is my favourite post yield album.

Best Decision:  Pulling back from the spotlight.   Out of control fame isn't for everyone.  It feels like the band would of imploded had they not taken control of their situation.

Worst Decision:  Approving the 2011 Vancouver concert poster.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,104
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would say since Avocando, which was the last good record they made imo..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • I love that people love Gigaton.
    (I'm just not one of them.)  I enjoy the previous 2 records much more.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,661
    Zod said:

Worst Decision:  Approving the 2011 Vancouver concert poster.

This weekend we rock Portland
    bbiggs said:
    why would this one get locked?
    Just foreshadowing.  As soon as the politics and name-calling starts (which it did when I posted), things usually go south real fast.  This had the making of that, but seemed to get back on track.  Impressive.

mcgruff10 said:
    I know where RA ranks in your book, but better than Binaural too?  Did you somehow forget to listen to that one?  ;)

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Gigaton is #6 or 7 for me.    Really good album.  Better than most bands 30 years in.  
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know where RA ranks in your book, but better than Binaural too?  Did you somehow forget to listen to that one?  ;)

one word: evacuation.