Want do you think is the best and worst decision the band has made over their career?

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    on2legs said:
    They can’t be making much money off record sales these days.  Even though I would hate it, I couldn’t blame them if they charged $500 for a front row seat. 

Hardly anyone does. Touring and merch sales are how bands make cash. The upside is that bands have to put more energy into being good live.
  • Worst: the handling of 2020 tour dates
    "So much it dont show"
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    mbowers said:
    on2legs said:
    They can’t be making much money off record sales these days.  Even though I would hate it, I couldn’t blame them if they charged $500 for a front row seat. 
    Wait, only $500 for guaranteed front row?  Sign me up for a whole leg…
    Yeah, $500 for front row is CHEAP these days. Chili Peppers/Strokes at Soldier is selling first few rows BEHIND the pit for $2,500. After fees, that will be close to 3k per ticket. 
  • Just thinking about what has helped the band and not helped the band over the course of their career. Looking back, what do you think was the best and worst decision(s) the band has made?

Best: varied setlists to keep the material and their chops fresh.

Worst: their stand against ticketmaster. When I look at the headaches it created  from 94-97 and now they have no problem doing business with them now it seems like it didn't amount to much imo.

What are your thoughts?

Nailed it!  By far these are the two that stick out the most to me...
  • AA295481AA295481 Posts: 108
    I like the fact they have always made it a mission to get their music out affordably. In the early 90's music stores would sell their singles as imports only. for about $30-$40 for the Alive, Jeremy single and an import of ten with yellow Ledbetter on it. They ended up rereleasing their singles in the US for much cheaper prices and would put a sticker on it that said "not to be confused with a more expensive version" since the late 90's they have had to deal with flippers on Ebay. After a tour, they would sell posters and other items on 10C. As far as their music Walmart has rereleased RVM, LO2L in June, I imagine at some point Lost Dogs will be available at Walmart as well. 

The moment I dislike was when they took on Ticketmaster. I see their point, they wanted their ticket prices at $20, it was about $25 with ticketmaster fees. But those days are long gone. 
  • Best: After blowing up, their pullback from the machinery of the music industry (no videos, limited interviews, focus on music). They would have broken up had they not started saying "No" IMO.

Worst: I think as time has gone on, they have gotten perhaps too democratic in their song selection of what ends up on albums. Riot Act for example could have been a 10/10 if they swapped out some of the b-sides from that time period (down, fatal, U, Sad) for some of the weaker songs on that album. Lightning Bolt is an example of an album that should not have even be released. It's a really bad album. With that, on a positive note, it was good to see with Gigaton that their standards and songwriting seem to have returned to the days of yore. Definitely excited for new songs. Also loving the new EV album!
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,936
    edited March 2022
    Worst: Releasing 'Can't Deny Me' as the first single on their forthcoming album.

Best: Ditching it off the album altogether and releasing DOTC as the first single. That song was out of left field after the previous one.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    hihobibo said:
    Best : Varied Setlists, official bootlegs and the limited merchandise. Keeps the band interesting for all their fans. 

Worst : Giving Dave A. The KISS treatment at the HOF ceremony and anything else that honors that era (funko pops). I understand the disagreement they had with him, but he should be acknowledged. 
    Great take on Dave A.  I thought they could have brought him out and played Go with him like they played Alive with Krusen.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Best: Withstanding the test of time and not breaking up like so many other bands. 

Worst: Their choices of opening acts. I don't ever recall getting stoked about any band that's opened for Pearl Jam in recent decades. I understand they want to help up-and-coming bands, but I'd rather see STP, Bush, or Alice in Chains for 90 minutes prior to Pearl Jam taking the stage. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,770
    release00 said:
    Worst: the handling of 2020 tour dates
    How? Everyone postponed or canceled 
    I miss igotid88
  • bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 237
    Worst: the Rome 2018 poster debacle. 
  • mschostokmschostok Posts: 858
    Best: To always be themselves and stay true to their values.

Worst: Staying with Brendan O’Brien for so long. With Gigaton and Earthling, it shows how a fresh producer can better your sound. 
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    igotid88 said:
    release00 said:
    Is everyone still leaving their fans in limbo 2 years later?
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • release00release00 Posts: 347
    igotid88 said:
    release00 said:
    You’re right. Should read: the rescheduling of 2020 tour dates
    "So much it dont show"
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    rrivers said:
    hihobibo said:
    Best : Varied Setlists, official bootlegs and the limited merchandise. Keeps the band interesting for all their fans. 

Worst : Giving Dave A. The KISS treatment at the HOF ceremony and anything else that honors that era (funko pops). I understand the disagreement they had with him, but he should be acknowledged. 
    Great take on Dave A.  I thought they could have brought him out and played Go with him like they played Alive with Krusen.
    It seems like it’s a strained relationship between Dave A and the band. I wish they could get along too but if they could then he probably wouldn’t have gotten the boot in the first place.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    rrivers said:
    hihobibo said:

It seems like it’s a strained relationship between Dave A and the band. I wish they could get along too but if they could then he probably wouldn’t have gotten the boot in the first place.
    they "invited" him, whatever that means. I read a facebook rants from him that he turned them down since it was $10K a ticket. Does someone who performs as a guest have to pay that price? Or could PJ have just said "he's a guest" and that's it? I don't know. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    rrivers said:
    hihobibo said:

they "invited" him, whatever that means. I read a facebook rants from him that he turned them down since it was $10K a ticket. Does someone who performs as a guest have to pay that price? Or could PJ have just said "he's a guest" and that's it? I don't know. 
    Yeah he was saying he would have to buy a table. He was invited but they weren’t going to comp him. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    rrivers said:
    hihobibo said:

Yeah he was saying he would have to buy a table. He was invited but they weren’t going to comp him. 
    If that is true then that is pretty darn petty by PJ (or we just don't know the whole story).
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    $10,000 for a guy you don't like? Who you may or may not still have some bad blood with? Who may or may not want to rehash some of that bad blood on a night that is supposed to be your celebration? I can see not be willing to pay for that. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    $10,000 for a guy you don't like? Who you may or may not still have some bad blood with? Who may or may not want to rehash some of that bad blood on a night that is supposed to be your celebration? I can see not be willing to pay for that. 
    yeah, I understand that point, but it's also like me shelling out $20. it just would have been a classy move. and we don't know what the rules are with the cost and who has to pay and who doesn't. 

either way it was nice that Ed mentioned him in his speech. 

www.headstonesband.com

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,251
    Best:  Variety of set lists as many have said. Taking a page out of the Grateful Dead playlist has made them the greatest live band on the earth for many years IMO. 

Worst:  Becoming the “brand” they are now. Not sure I can explain it too well but it just seems like they have become a major business now. In some ways I’m sure it’s contributed to their longevity but it seems to have lost the organic feel it used to have. 

The cancellation of Raleigh has to be a close second. I just don’t understand what that accomplished other than pissing off a bunch of fans that just wanted to escape and see their favorite band. (I didn’t even have tickets, just felt bad for those that did)
    Best:  Variety of set lists as many have said. Taking a page out of the Grateful Dead playlist has made them the greatest live band on the earth for many years IMO. 

Worst:  Becoming the “brand” they are now. Not sure I can explain it too well but it just seems like they have become a major business now. In some ways I’m sure it’s contributed to their longevity but it seems to have lost the organic feel it used to have. 

The cancellation of Raleigh has to be a close second. I just don’t understand what that accomplished other than pissing off a bunch of fans that just wanted to escape and see their favorite band. (I didn’t even have tickets, just felt bad for those that did)
    agreed. should have played the show and donated a hefty sum to LGBTQ. 

www.headstonesband.com

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    edited March 2022
    Best career decision Sent the tape to Eddie 
    Worst career decision - Not make a videoclip for Black 
    Best Live decision  - Different setlist and  Ghost at Jacksonville 16
    Worst live decision- played live alot Just Breathe and not Fatal,All or none ,parting ways,Strangest Tribe Around the bend
    Best Merch  decision  - PJ20 Backpack
    Worst Merch  decision- Shipping methods
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    ed243421 said:
    Boom & arms aloft at alpine
    arms aloft was the weirdest choice ever made especially for that weekend 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Best: Staying together all these years
    Worst: Not making the most of some of these years they stayed together

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,400
    Best: Random fun set lists
    Worst: The 2022 conversion to a legacy act/greatest hits band
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    Best:  When they do what I want them to do (play shows I can go to, songs I want, put out just enough merch so I can get it but not enough that it doesn't hold its value)
    Worst:  When they do things I don't want them to do (tours where I can't make it to a show or get tickets to, play songs I don' want to hear, play live for an amount of time I feel is not adequate) 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    apirk72 said:
    Best:  When they do what I want them to do (play shows I can go to, songs I want, put out just enough merch so I can get it but not enough that it doesn't hold its value)
    Worst:  When they do things I don't want them to do (tours where I can't make it to a show or get tickets to, play songs I don' want to hear, play live for an amount of time I feel is not adequate) 
    😂😂
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,229
    apirk72 said:

:D  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    ed243421 said:
    Boom & arms aloft at alpine
    arms aloft was the weirdest choice ever made especially for that weekend 
    Ed’s connection to Joe Strummer as part of the history perhaps he was nodding to during PJ20 doesn’t make it so strange. 
    www.cluthelee.com