Want do you think is the best and worst decision the band has made over their career?

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    IMHO gigaton was their best album since yield.  
    I know where RA ranks in your book, but better than Binaural too?  Did you somehow forget to listen to that one?  ;)

one word: evacuation.  
    That works on multiple levels 👌 
    (BTW I like that song)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I know where RA ranks in your book, but better than Binaural too?  Did you somehow forget to listen to that one?  ;)

Your dedication to your dislike of Matt Cameron penned songs is admirable! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'll call your Evacuation and raise you a Buckle Up (sorry Stone).

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm the guy that likes both of those songs.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

and I'm the other guy that likes em' too. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    edited January 2022
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'll double down with in the moonlight and unemployable.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    mfc2006 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Not surprised since you are the President of the Ariana Grande fan club.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'll double down with in the moonlight and unemployable.  
    biggie smalls GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    I can't believe anyone puts Gigaton in the bottom 3. that's just blasphemy to me (and I kinda find it odd that people are putting albums in their answers for "decisions" the band has made in the first place-I don't really consider art a decision). 
    Gigaton would've been awesome if it was in the vain of Dance of the Clairvoyants. They made one truly great out-of-the-box song and then spent the rest of the album retreading Lightning Bolt which is by far the worst album they've made. And writing, making, and releasing an album is definitely a "decision" they made. 
    interesting. I think LB has basically 4 or 5 decent songs and the rest should have been left on the cutting room floor. I don't find Gigaton similar to LB at ALL. 
    Both albums have the same vibe for me. Slower more pop-oriented songs. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Not surprised since you are the President of the Ariana Grande fan club.  ;)
    LOL!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    Best: Tie between varied set lists and bootlegs
    Worst: Adding the B3 organ.
    Best: Tie between varied set lists and bootlegs
    Ouch! 
    rock and roll hall of fame GIF by Pearl Jam
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Looks like we’re working on getting the second locked thread of the day. JFC 
    why would this one get locked?
    Just foreshadowing.  As soon as the politics and name-calling starts (which it did when I posted), things usually go south real fast.  This had the making of that, but seemed to get back on track.  Impressive.

There wasn’t any name calling that I recall. Politics were involved however. 
  • bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 144
    I'm going to switch it up and give my most under appreciated decision in the history of the band.... Eddie taking a break and going on tour backing up Mike Watts along with Dave Grohl. After all the craziness with Kurt dying and the attention getting too overwhelming on Eddie and co., we ended up with a more relaxed Eddie, an amazing start to one of my favorites 'Habit', and obviously the start of the Foo Fighters during that Mike Watts Van Tour. Also, if anyone hasn't listened to Ball-Hog of Tugboat? just yet, do it now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVroZFSYP00
    bmurray06 said:
    I'm going to switch it up and give my most under appreciated decision in the history of the band.... Eddie taking a break and going on tour backing up Mike Watts along with Dave Grohl. After all the craziness with Kurt dying and the attention getting too overwhelming on Eddie and co., we ended up with a more relaxed Eddie, an amazing start to one of my favorites 'Habit', and obviously the start of the Foo Fighters during that Mike Watts Van Tour. Also, if anyone hasn't listened to Ball-Hog of Tugboat? just yet, do it now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVroZFSYP00
    Brilliant point. Also, one hell of a tour. I've got the Watt live record waiting for me, can't wait to hear it! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

and I'm the other guy that likes em' too. 
    Get a room you two!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Best: Release Lost Dogs as a double album  =)
    Worst: Buckle up  :sleeping:

PJ - Irvine,CA (06,03,03) SP, Brazil (12,02,05), SP, Brazil (12,03,05) ,SP, Brazil (11,03,11),  SP, Brazil (11,04,11), SP, Brazil (03,31,13), SP, Brazil (11,14,15), Ft Lauderdale, FL (04,08,16), Miami, FL (04,09,16), SP,Brazil(03,24,18)Chicago, IL(08,18,18), Chicago, IL(08,20,18), San Diego, CA (05,03,22), Los Angeles, CA (05/06/22), Los Angeles, CA (05/07/22) , Oakland, CA(05/12/22), Los Angeles,CA (05/21/24), Los Angeles,CA(05/22/24) - EV - SP, Brazil 2015/2018, 

• Best - Ending the music video boycott for Do The Evolution
    Worst - Arms Aloft as the second song at PJ20. 
    I randomly think about this every now and then and get irrationally upset!! That crowd was ready to explode after Release.  Swap out Arms Aloft for Corduroy and it makes a class PJ weekend even better....crazy that they didn't play Corduroy at all that weekend.
  • Best - Ending the music video boycott for Do The Evolution
    I randomly think about this every now and then and get irrationally upset!! That crowd was ready to explode after Release.  Swap out Arms Aloft for Corduroy and it makes a class PJ weekend even better....crazy that they didn't play Corduroy at all that weekend.
    My "this is the second song they should've played" song option has always been Animal. But Corduroy would've been great too. Or Hail Hail. Or Do The Evolution. Or ANYTHING besides Arms Aloft lol 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 894
    edited January 2022
    Best: The song writing range and diversity.  Being able to write some of the hardest, bone crushing rock riffs with shredding vocals AND the most tender, stripped down emotional ballads in rock history.

Worst:  The middle of the road, sappy songs that meander into nothing remarkable.  

Best 2:  Stepping back from being the biggest band in the world to sustain their career and move into new creative directions.
    Worst 2:  Stepping back from being the biggest band in the world to tour less and let inferior bands fill the void with 2nd rate cliche rock.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited January 2022
    Best - Ending the music video boycott for Do The Evolution
    I actually have the opposite feeling about the Arms Aloft PJ20 thing.   I realize it was a “crowd pleasing” weekend but if the crowd can’t stay hyped for any song two songs into a Pearl Jam festival then that’s on the crowd.  I remember Nirvana busting out bizarre slow covers as the second song before.  Or Radiohead playing almost nothing except their last two albums.  PJ had enough surprises in store to do whatever they wanted with those sets. This was an uptempo rock song.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    I just don't know why they play Arms Aloft at all. I mean, maybe they love playing it. But I've never really seen a great crowd reaction to the song. Even in Winnipeg it fell kinda flat. Especially after Ed accidentally introduced it as Amongst The Waves, lol
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• smile6680smile6680 Posts: 378
    edited January 2022
    Just to be clear. I think it's great that people really enjoy the last three albums. I just don't. I also wouldn't say people are wrong if they don't like any or all of the first five. I love them. I also know this board is dominated by people who are intolerant of different views and opinions on things. It's okay to disagree. Threads are continually filled with incorrect information on both sides of about any topic currently being discussed. 

EDIT. I meant the first eight albums. not five.
    Post edited by smile6680 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    smile6680 said:
    Just to be clear. I think it's great that people really enjoy the last three albums. I just don't. I also wouldn't say people are wrong if they don't like any or all of the first five. I love them. I also know this board is dominated by people who are intolerant of different views and opinions on things. It's okay to disagree. Threads are continually filled with incorrect information on both sides of about any topic currently being discussed. 
    um....what? about the band? maybe about politics of certain nature on AMT....but the music? I mean, come on, we all give @mcgruff10 a constant rib for hating on Riot Act, but it's all in good fun. I would find it odd if someone said they hated Ten but loved Lightning Bolt, but to each their own. @Of The Aggie thinks Gigaton sounds the same as LB, and I think that's crazy, but I don't think SHE'S crazy. People just hear different things. 

I didn't like Gigaton the first two listens. at ALL. I wrote a scathing review on FB that made my friends think I had been kidnapped. But after a few more listens, on HEADPHONES, I started to like it....then I started to love it. But hey, I understand why anyone who likes/dislikes something. It's all subjective. I think most people here are open to that. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Best: Tie between varied set lists and bootlegs
    Good call on the B3!!!

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• JimFletcherPearlJamJimFletcherPearlJam Posts: 358
    edited January 2022
    1. Ten 
    2. Yield
    3. Riot Act
    4. No Code
    5. Versus
    6. Vitalogy
    7. Gigaton
    8. Avocado
    9. Binaural
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt

• Numbers 1 and 11 are easy. It's tougher in between though. 
  • 1. Ten 
    2. Yield
    3. Riot Act
    4. No Code
    5. Versus
    6. Vitalogy
    7. Gigaton
    8. Avocado
    9. Binaural
    10. Backspacer
    11. Lightning Bolt

Very good. I would move binaural up but very near mine 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Was bound to evolve into an album ranking lol

Tier 1: Ten, No Code, Yield, Vs
    Tier 2:  Backspacer, Gigaton, Vitalogy, Binaural
    Tier 3:  Riot Act, Lightning Bolt
    Tier 4:  self-titled.  

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    Was bound to evolve into an album ranking lol

Which makes no sense based on the question
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016