How long before Ed postpones his tour?

Comments

• Common sense is moving forward. If this is cancelled and most other events for that matter, there will be no end to covid making headlines and dictating the rest of our lives.

Everyone is going to packed grocery stores and holiday events still, so why not a concert? I will be enjoying a nice NYE concert this evening. Happy new year everyone!  
    NHL canceled, flights canceled, shows canceled, it’s inevitable. No shows for Ed. It’s common sense to make safety a priority. He can always reschedule. Whatever we are doing now isn’t working. I hope I’m wrong but shits getting worse.
    Some of these that you mention don’t really have an option. The nhl was forced to cancel because teams couldn’t put rosters together and they also wanted to make sure nobody was away from family during the holidays. 

Flights can’t go on without a pilot or cabin crew so again no choice but to cancel. 

Now if EV were to get sick, of course those shows would get cancelled. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    edited December 2021
    JH6056 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Did we solve corona yet?
    We actually did, people just didn’t get the vaccine or wear a mask. Could have been over. 
    Non sense. You expect everyone in the entire world to get vaccinated and wear a mask? That was never going to happen. Here in NYC with the most harsh mandates and a high vaccination rate, we are setting records daily with infections. 
    But the mandates DID work when it was Delta and vaccines not only worked to prevent hospitalization, they worked to significantly reduce spread.  But because so many still did NOT vax and didn't mask, Omicron was able to evolve and now it's much more spreadable by even vaxxed people.

Vaccines STILL WORK, they still prevent hospitalization and death (which is kinda the most important point), but now with Omicron the spread is out of control and everyone has to... again... do a reset.

Meanwhile though, as people who choose to stay unvaxxed either die off or watch someone else die and then finally choose to vax, at some point in the next 6 months or so it's likely some strange steady state of this will present.  Who knows what it will require us to do on a daily basis, but the supply of unvaxxed people who perpetuate this madness IS dwindling. Slowly.

Postponing shows in light of all this isn't about fear. It's about responsibility to your public AND your own crew and band members. And it's honestly not any private pissed off individual's call to make, because as we've seen, a lot of pissed off people are NOT thinking in terms of the larger public interest. They're only thinking about themselves. Promoters, bands, crew, and venues have a LOT of people to consider, and they are right to consider it carefully. Not be absurd, but when there is a new problem (and Omicron is new in it's insane spreadability among even the vaxxed), then they have to pause and consider.
    With Omicron being much weaker, it should be up to the individual to decide to go or not, and not Ed making the decision. 
    According to you, the "individual" gets to make the decision for Ed too. Screw that, be consistent and not a hypocrite then: If the individual gets to consider whatever they think is worthwhile & not worthwhile to consider, you don't get to say diddly about what Ed, or the Promoters, or anyone else in a leadership position decides. They're individuals too, and they get to decide what they think is best, just like you do.

Does their decision affect other people? Yes, absolutely.  But guess what? So could your decision that Omicron isn't a big enough deal and if you get it and pass it on to someone with a vulnerable person (like a small kid or sick person) who can die of it, so again, be consistent and let the "individuals" decide for themselves then.  Which includes Ed or a Promoter saying "Tour needs to be postponed because our assessment based on trends & current science is it's too risky"
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    Discernment is the word of the day. Multiple things can have elements of truth at the same time. It's not easy to wade through all of this so I try not to mock too much but its hard. I'm a non religious triple vaxxed libertarian leaning guy living in the rural south but Covid is politics now. It just is. I try to give some grace to those on all sides because this is complicated and so easy to vilify different factions. If you hear someone say "the answer is easy" they are stupid or lying.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    DEGBTI said:
    its odd how so many people for years go out with the threat of getting a cold/flue from someone, but now its full panic. They even count daily cases. Wow. And before you start telling me how the flue doesn't kill as many people as covid, I'm talking about omicron. Because that's what it is. So why would anyone cancel anything? I know why, cause people watch the news and have no ability to connect the dots and see this is all a game. The media vrs the sheep who have no ability to see the bs they tell us everyday and keep you hiding in your house. Wake up. FWIW, I am triple vaxed and had the actual covid in 2020, it sucked.
    Where in this thread is the “full panic”?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    DEGBTI said:
    its odd how so many people for years go out with the threat of getting a cold/flue from someone, but now its full panic. They even count daily cases. Wow. And before you start telling me how the flue doesn't kill as many people as covid, I'm talking about omicron. Because that's what it is. So why would anyone cancel anything? I know why, cause people watch the news and have no ability to connect the dots and see this is all a game. The media vrs the sheep who have no ability to see the bs they tell us everyday and keep you hiding in your house. Wake up. FWIW, I am triple vaxed and had the actual covid in 2020, it sucked.
    People who got it last year and then vaxxed this year  have the super triple defense going. 

And I can remember years back, either in here or facebooks, about people talking about getting colds and the flu at shows. Heck the ‘09 shows were in the middle of the swine flu epidemic and no one said boo squat. I know people who got slammed by the swine flu, and I’ll take Omicron over that all day. 
  • FWIW.  I am triple vaxxed and am just finishing up my quarantine today from my third bout with COVID. Twice in the past three months (to the day).  Lost my taste and smell all three times along with fever and cold symptoms.

Sure hope the shows go on!
    Milwaukee -- 07-08-1995 -- Salt Lake City - 1996 (Brad)-- Kansas City 07-03-1998-- Maryland Heights 07-02-1998-- Minneapolis 06-30-1998-- Alpine Valley 1999 - Tibet Freedom Concert (Eddie Solo)-- Kansas City 10-12-2000-- East Troy 10-08-2000-- Chicago 06-18-2003-- Council Bluffs 06-13-2003-- Bonner Springs 06-12-2003-- St. Paul 06-26-2006-- Milwaukee 06-30-2006-- Chicago 08-24-2009-- Kansas City 05-03-2010-- East Troy 09-03-2011-- East Troy 09-04-2011-- Chicago 07-19-2013-- Lincoln 10-9-2014 -- Moline 10-17-2014 -- Chicago 08-20-2016 -- Chicago 08-22-2016
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    FWIW.  I am triple vaxxed and am just finishing up my quarantine today from my third bout with COVID. Twice in the past three months (to the day).  Lost my taste and smell all three times along with fever and cold symptoms.

Hmm, I hadn't heard of anyone losing taste or smell in quite some time. I think my wife has covid now and I may as well. We're awaiting test results. I also had it last year. This is crazy right now.
  • Sarava said:
    FWIW.  I am triple vaxxed and am just finishing up my quarantine today from my third bout with COVID. Twice in the past three months (to the day).  Lost my taste and smell all three times along with fever and cold symptoms.

Hmm, I hadn't heard of anyone losing taste or smell in quite some time. I think my wife has covid now and I may as well. We're awaiting test results. I also had it last year. This is crazy right now.
    Yeah, right now my entire house has COVID and 3 out of 4 of us still don't have taste or smell going on about 10 days. 

Good luck to you and your wife!
    Milwaukee -- 07-08-1995 -- Salt Lake City - 1996 (Brad)-- Kansas City 07-03-1998-- Maryland Heights 07-02-1998-- Minneapolis 06-30-1998-- Alpine Valley 1999 - Tibet Freedom Concert (Eddie Solo)-- Kansas City 10-12-2000-- East Troy 10-08-2000-- Chicago 06-18-2003-- Council Bluffs 06-13-2003-- Bonner Springs 06-12-2003-- St. Paul 06-26-2006-- Milwaukee 06-30-2006-- Chicago 08-24-2009-- Kansas City 05-03-2010-- East Troy 09-03-2011-- East Troy 09-04-2011-- Chicago 07-19-2013-- Lincoln 10-9-2014 -- Moline 10-17-2014 -- Chicago 08-20-2016 -- Chicago 08-22-2016
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    Sarava said:

Yeah, right now my entire house has COVID and 3 out of 4 of us still don't have taste or smell going on about 10 days. 

Good luck to you and your wife!
    Thank you...same to you and your family.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,816
    The EV shows are a total go unless local regulations prevent the show from happening.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    Noload said:
    Discernment is the word of the day. Multiple things can have elements of truth at the same time. It's not easy to wade through all of this so I try not to mock too much but its hard. I'm a non religious triple vaxxed libertarian leaning guy living in the rural south but Covid is politics now. It just is. I try to give some grace to those on all sides because this is complicated and so easy to vilify different factions. If you hear someone say "the answer is easy" they are stupid or lying.
    A+ post. 👏🏻
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,282
    edited January 2022
    The EV shows are a total go unless local regulations prevent the show from happening.  
    Agree. Interestingly here in the U.K. we have a few European tours coming up this month (the Bronx, Wolf Alice etc). They have all postponed the shows in countries where there are restrictions (eg Scotland) but they are pressing ahead with England dates (with vaccine passports required to attend). I imagine this will be the way things work this year in most countries. Bands will try and play where and when they can. 
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,611
    drfox said:
    Agree. Interestingly here in the U.K. we have a few European tours coming up this month (the Bronx, Wolf Alice etc). They have all postponed the shows in countries where there are restrictions (eg Scotland) but they are pressing ahead with England dates (with vaccine passports required to attend). I imagine this will be the way things work this year in most countries. Bands will try and play where and when they can. 
    I think a lot of bands will take their crew and audience into consideration and will do what they think is best for all groups.  Of course they want to play, but I don’t think they’ll do it unless they think it’s safe.  
  • I hope it is postponed.  Only because of the variant that is spreading like wildfire.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,317
    edited January 2022
    I hope it is postponed.  Only because of the variant that is spreading like wildfire.  
    At this point, it’s too late. Postponing ain’t gonna do nothing. We had over a month warning to stop this variant and failed. It’s everywhere 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • 3days3days Posts: 1,158
    nicknyr15 said:
    I hope it is postponed.  Only because of the variant that is spreading like wildfire.  
    At this point, it’s too late. Postponing ain’t gonna do nothing. We had over a month warning to stop this variant and failed. It’s everywhere 
    Honestly, postponement may be the best thing to do. As we've seen with this pandemic and variants, there are highs and lows. There are current indicators that early 2022 might not be a very good time to pack theaters. 

There was never a failure to stop this variant, or any variant. Stopping this was never on the table. We are currently attempting to mitigate the spread, and minimize damage. 

Right now hospitals are overwhelmed due to an abnormal influx of patients, people wanting COVID tests, and COVID positive staff. I can personally attest that this is not a "media scare tactic". People who need treatment (for various health reasons) are not always getting it.... which isn't good.

Postponing entertainment until Omicron and Delta loosen their grip, may be the wisest decision. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,951
    3days said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Honestly, postponement may be the best thing to do. As we've seen with this pandemic and variants, there are highs and lows. There are current indicators that early 2022 might not be a very good time to pack theaters. 

There was never a failure to stop this variant, or any variant. Stopping this was never on the table. We are currently attempting to mitigate the spread, and minimize damage. 

Right now hospitals are overwhelmed due to an abnormal influx of patients, people wanting COVID tests, and COVID positive staff. I can personally attest that this is not a "media scare tactic". People who need treatment (for various health reasons) are not always getting it.... which isn't good.

Postponing entertainment until Omicron and Delta loosen their grip, may be the wisest decision. 
    The only way to try and slow the spread of Omicron would’ve been to severely restrict everyone’s movement across the country beginning three weeks ago. That would’ve been impossible, and it’s too late anyway. 
  • Omicron isn’t being shut down any time soon but it doesn’t mean it’s a smart decision to try to put on a tour during it. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• uglybabouglybabo Posts: 520
    Omicron isn’t being shut down any time soon but it doesn’t mean it’s a smart decision to try to put on a tour during it. 
    Yeah, I mean people are going to be like I’m not feeling great but it’s Eddie so I’ll go anyway. In a way, having events can encourage bad decisions. 

I saw a few theatres in NYC are asking for full vaccination and a negative test. There’s a belief that broadway may be heading that way - not sure if it’s feasible on a large scale. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    I think Broadway is going to have to move that way. They are losing too much money by having to continually shutter.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • uglybabo said:
    Omicron isn’t being shut down any time soon but it doesn’t mean it’s a smart decision to try to put on a tour during it. 
    Yeah, I mean people are going to be like I’m not feeling great but it’s Eddie so I’ll go anyway. In a way, having events can encourage bad decisions. 

I saw a few theatres in NYC are asking for full vaccination and a negative test. There’s a belief that broadway may be heading that way - not sure if it’s feasible on a large scale. 
    It’s a mess.  There aren’t enough tests available as it is - so if entertainment starts needing tests that will only make the shortage worse.  Plus, like 1/3 people are testing positive with this thing, and it’s not even clear if all the rapid tests pick up Omicron.  I just think the timing is really bad for the February run.  

• Definitely not shutting down because it's only 2-3k capacity venues, just not enough people even with it being indoors, IMHO. 
    "..to find the comfort in this world."
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,939
    Knicks game in Toronto today with no fans present. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    Definitely not shutting down because it's only 2-3k capacity venues, just not enough people even with it being indoors, IMHO. 
    I guess?  It's just as spreadable in a small venue then a big one, except there's less people overall.  So in a theatre it'll max out at 2000 to 3000 people. 

It feels like governments are going to get stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Omicron appears to be less severe, but it's hyper contagious, so even if a fraction of people that get it encounter problems, a fraction of a million people is still a significant number kind of thing.

I dunno.   I feel like our governments were truely concerned about it, they would of attempted to lock things down before Christmas.   Everything we know now, we knew 3 or 4 weeks ago. Nothing really earth shattering has been revealed.

I wonder if this is the moment where people are like, f 'it, we're done, and it rips resulting in most people having some kind of base line immunity to covid, through exposure, vaccines, or both.  Thus limiting the severity for all time.

I am guess though, if hospitals get overwhelmed, many places will have to do something to curb it. 

It seems like the EV/PJ camp might need to adjust how they plan things.   Covid seems to come in waves and it seems like you get a short window to try and pull something off.    If you wait a few months to see how it pans out, before announcing something, then the window closes on your tour.   You need precision tactics like how the foo fighters, metallica, stones pulled off some shows or tours.  As soon as it seems like things are easing, announce the dates, make them start really soon, and try to blow through the small amount of dates before shit hits the fan again.

I'm still not sure when I'm at on this tour.  I have seattle tickets, but no idea what crossing the border is going to be like next month :(
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    Would be interesting to see what another lockdown would look like. Just not sure the public would support it this time and that is one reason why we aren’t shutting down.  Limiting event size is one thing,  but going back to where we were in March and April of 2020 is not going to happen over Omicron.  The public and businesses would never support it.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,822
    edited January 2022
    At this point, it seems to be:

You have vaccine availability. If you don't get vaccinated and follow the guidelines...if you end up in the ICU, too fuckin' bad. You've been warned that the vast majority of ICU patients are unvaccinated and you chose to ignore the warnings. Blame yourself.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Definitely not shutting down because it's only 2-3k capacity venues, just not enough people even with it being indoors, IMHO. 
    What? 3k people can’t spread the virus? These shows will be canceled. 
  • At this point, it seems to be:

You have vaccine availability. If you don't get vaccinated and follow the guidelines...if you end up in the ICU, too fuckin' bad. You've been warned that the vast majority of ICU patients are unvaccinated and you chose to ignore the warnings. Blame yourself.
    Sucks to be someone who needs the ICU spot for something that has nothing to do with Covid?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • At this point, it seems to be:

Sucks to be someone who needs the ICU spot for something that has nothing to do with Covid?
    This
  • KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    Definitely not shutting down because it's only 2-3k capacity venues, just not enough people even with it being indoors, IMHO. 
    This tour will not happen in February if the promoter, not Vedder, feels that the odds are too low of them getting through it without crew or band members testing positive and disrupting it. It’s possible they could try and succeed like Guns N Roses and the Stones with no postponements or cases reported, but the odds of people catching it are much greater with Omicron. Our high ticket prices likely helped pay for insurance to cover postponement.
This discussion has been closed.