PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• mickeyrat wrote:
    I swear , getting a whole lot from the music these days. Current circumstances have caused my to revise what ALL the songs mean in my life. Almost like hearing for the first time. Awesome. Going the steps again with a different sponser. Getting a whole new experience from it too. I know for a fact that I do NOT have to live that way again. At least not for today. Awesome!!!!

Good for you mickeyrat. Isn't that just amazing? Their songs can morph that way.. non-PJ people don't quite comprehend that. I've not had a drink in almost 3 years and I can tell you that there have been a lot of tempting times based on the circumstances of the day. I just know I'm a better person. To wake up every day and not feel regret is an awesome thing.

To the poster 'DW203649' - i would encourage you to really focus on knowing and fulfilling you before you focus on helping others. Fill yourself, your soul, be happy and content with who you are... or focus on changing the things you don't like so that you can be content with who you are. Doing this can remove so many heavy bricks from your shoulders. People take off the shelves without replenishing because you allow them to. Figure out what that is so you can work on protecting 'you'. These are not preaching words, but words of encouragement.. it's what saved me.. well, that and PJ music :D However, PJ can't truly 'save' you either. It comes from within - PJ music can help open those doors but it is you that has to make something come from it. Good luck to you!

Take care and DreamOfAngels
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    Step 9 awaits!!!! Reminds me of "Thumbing My Way" this process of the 9th step.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • melodiousmelodious Posts: 1,719

To the poster 'DW203649' - i would encourage you to really focus on knowing and fulfilling you before you focus on helping others. Fill yourself, your soul, be happy and content with who you are... or focus on changing the things you don't like so that you can be content with who you are. Doing this can remove so many heavy bricks from your shoulders. People take off the shelves without replenishing because you allow them to. Figure out what that is so you can work on protecting 'you'. These are not preaching words, but words of encouragement.. it's what saved me.. well, that and PJ music :D However, PJ can't truly 'save' you either. It comes from within - PJ music can help open those doors but it is you that has to make something come from it. Good luck to you!

Take care and DreamOfAngels
    Sending support and tenderness through strength in numbers. We are cellular structure in the walk of the HUman race. Once a person opens him/herself to their natural rhythms and gives whole heartedly to the HIgher power, he or she will have faith that moves mountains.

Lately I have been being confronted with people asking for simple gifts from me. For instance the inn keeper down the road refuses to buy himself a pack of smokes. He comes to me at my job and asks me to "sell" him a couple of cigarettes. I don't want his money because even giving him to him what he requests will give me a return in the Highest. He expressed to me, YOu are a very nice lady. People will take advantage of you. He doesn't know that I stripped off my mega b*tch costume a couple of years back...I look at him and I say...no, I give in the faith of Spirit Divine and only expect direct return from my Source...

If you trust in your Higher power, wholly, then you just can't go wrong...The ground seems to become solid like a rock. Confusion breaks away and learning to forgive ourselves is the key to this magnificent walk into recovery.

*As for PJ community. You are a great source of refuge in my heart and I am so grateful to visit here as Timing permits...

Keep on walking...and rocking and while you're at it, don't forget to stop and smell the roses are take time to look in the sky and see all those awesome patterns ...

G'day. Recovering Travellers!!!

p.s. Hoping to express encouragement and support-everyone can use some!!!
    all insanity:
    a derivitive of nature.
    nature is god
    god is love
    love is light
    On to the third sponser. This one has a much quieter way about him. Has always been available to me to talk. Like what he has going on. Sad has been on the cd player. Man this fucking band can can really speak to and for me!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    mickeyrat wrote:
    On to the third sponser. This one has a much quieter way about him. Has always been available to me to talk. Like what he has going on. Sad has been on the cd player. Man this fucking band can can really speak to and for me!!!!

check out these other PJ songs too for recovery inspiration:

All those yesterdays
    Low light
    Down
    In Hiding
    Life Wasted (obvious)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • It is awesome to read all the posts on this thread. I'm glad to see that it is still going strong. I have been sober now for over 5 years, one day at a time. I was just thinking how I used to do everything my way. I tried to control my drinking and drug use every way possible. I kept getting worse. People didn't really like to be around me and I didn't like to be around them unless they were like me. If you have been trying to do things your way and keep failing, what are you going to do about it? We have a short time on this planet. Make a decision and try something else. A true alcoholic or addict most likely will not stop drinking without a 12 step recovery plan. It is that simple. Do careful research for yourself if you want. Doctors, psychologists and clergymen have a very low success rate. So try something new. It works!

Tom
    TDR
    Todays song is Hard To Imagine. What the fuck has happened this summer?How does a person go from cruising along with a wonderful woman to being UNmarried a short two months later. And still hold the love for that woman.

On a happier note.
    Today I got to see my youngest niece get married to someone , who by all appearences, loves her very much.

• I just celebrated my 2 years clean and sober on Sept.1, and i gotta say it feels pretty amazing to be given a second chance and to truly be enjoying my life again. Inside Job and life wasted have definitely been huge inspirations to me as i have been working my own program.
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    AS57568 wrote:
    I just celebrated my 2 years clean and sober on Sept.1, and i gotta say it feels pretty amazing to be given a second chance and to truly be enjoying my life again. Inside Job and life wasted have definitely been huge inspirations to me as i have been working my own program.

Congratulations!
  • oona left wrote:
    AS57568 wrote:
    I just celebrated my 2 years clean and sober on Sept.1, and i gotta say it feels pretty amazing to be given a second chance and to truly be enjoying my life again. Inside Job and life wasted have definitely been huge inspirations to me as i have been working my own program.

Congratulations!

Thank You
    " Things were different then, all is different now "

Seattle 09-16-96, Vancouver 07-19-98, Seattle 11-05-00, Seattle 12-09-02, Vancouver 05-30-03, Vancouver 09-02-05, Gorge 07-23-06, Seattle 09-21-09, Seattle 09-22-09, Vancouver 09-25-09
    AS57568 wrote:
    oona left wrote:
    AS57568 wrote:

Congratulations!

Thank You
    Isn't it nice to NOT wake up with a hangover two years straight? Love it myself. Congrats.

• Step one here, so please PM me with any thoughts you all have.
    The first half of Riot Act (Can't Keep to You Are) is making this all seem surmountable.
    we're all going to the same place...
    Folks , the above post is a MAJOR reason why this thread was started. Please chime in with your experience , strength and hope to help 'i shit and i stink'. Only took a year plus for someone to gather the courage to ask openly for help :D , guess patience is a virtue that can pay off. :mrgreen:

going to see Kings of Leon tonight at Great woods!

(Comcast Center Mansfield, Ma )

I didn't get sober to be miserable..

so no more 50 piss breaks at the show..

and tomorrow morning I will not have my head pounding and my stomach will not be churning from throwing up 110 times..

(ears may still be ringing but its all good!)

Still Rocking and Rolling Sober along with Mr. Mike McCready and my fellow posters on this thread..

scotty

:D
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Step one here, so please PM me with any thoughts you all have.
    The first half of Riot Act (Can't Keep to You Are) is making this all seem surmountable.

I tried every possible way to control my drinking (and using). My life was in complete ruins. I really wanted to just die. How could I possibly live my whole life without a drink? Man, one day at a time. Try not to complicate things too much. I had a lot of questions and doubts but I knew that I could not drink safely. I went to meetings everyday, joined a home group and got a sponsor. It has been over 5 years since my last episode. My life has changed in ways I never thought were even close to possible. Hang in there. Make sure you know what powerlessness means. Step 1 is critical. Also, this is a we program. I can't but we can.

Peace
    TDR
  • So, I started out only a week ago, I just wanted to write a few words on here. For those who are already writing here and for those who may be in the situation I was a week ago, wondering if you can ever begin...

Firstly, thanks to the three people who have reached out to me through this thread. Walking me through the steps, I hadn't even heard of this program before. I'd very much appreciate anyone else's input, you can't have too much support is the message I seem to be getting from people.

Secondly, I chose to ask for help here because it was reading this thread that made me realise that staying sober is possible. I've got friends who drink, family who drink and a long history with it. I'd never met or heard of anyone opting out of that before. Then I read about you all here and it made me think, "Okay, I'll contact someone there and see what happens".

Result of starting out anew... a tough week of my life. I've learnt a lot of shit about myself that I guess it was always there and I just couldn't acknowledge it. There is fear of the past and of the future. But... there is also a lot of new hope, great resolve and fledgling pride that I haven't experienced in a long time.

So, thanks to this thread for starting me on this journey and maybe saving my life.

And thanks to "All Those Yesterdays" for helping me through today.
  • So, I started out only a week ago, I just wanted to write a few words on here. For those who are already writing here and for those who may be in the situation I was a week ago, wondering if you can ever begin...

Firstly, thanks to the three people who have reached out to me through this thread. Walking me through the steps, I hadn't even heard of this program before. I'd very much appreciate anyone else's input, you can't have too much support is the message I seem to be getting from people.

Secondly, I chose to ask for help here because it was reading this thread that made me realise that staying sober is possible. I've got friends who drink, family who drink and a long history with it. I'd never met or heard of anyone opting out of that before. Then I read about you all here and it made me think, "Okay, I'll contact someone there and see what happens".

Result of starting out anew... a tough week of my life. I've learnt a lot of shit about myself that I guess it was always there and I just couldn't acknowledge it. There is fear of the past and of the future. But... there is also a lot of new hope, great resolve and fledgling pride that I haven't experienced in a long time.

So, thanks to this thread for starting me on this journey and maybe saving my life.

Congrats Dude!
    Hey, did anybody ever tell you about the allergy of alcoholism. If you have The Big Book of AA, you should read "The Doctors Opinion." It explained to me why I am different than those who can control their drinking. You may relate to it.

Hang in there and don't drink. So many people just like yourself are sober.
    TDR
    Really wish they would send notice of these things. The move that is. Sure hope the others who frequent AET respect what we're trying to do with this thread. It felt safe and protected in WM...C.

this is a blog from a good friend and member of my local AA group..
    she writes about recovery and her life as a mom..
    after leaving the corporate world..

check out her previous blogs too as they all touch on recovery...

all good stuff!

http://onecraftymother.blogspot.com/sea ... alcoholism

fixed the link!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Just wanted to send encouragement to those of you who are recovering. My dad just celebrated his 10th anniversary of getting sober for good. If he can quit and recover, anyone can.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Just to update this thread now we have Backspacer. It's probably the simplest message on the album but I'm really enjoying 'Amongst The Waves'.
    Survive and you're amongst the fittest.
  • One month.
    One good month.
    ;)
    great new blog entry ... as a Father / parent in recovery .. I can relate to this:

http://onecraftymother.blogspot.com/200 ... bears.html
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    One month.
    One good month.
    ;)

That's great!
  • fell off at 151 days ..it was a rehearsal dinner - walls closed in ....old buddies said "its just one night".

Got back on the next day - day 13.

sucks to have a big number one day and a shit one the next but its better than being on day 14 of a "i fell off" bender.

it was gonna be 6 months on night 2 in Philly.

dammit.
  • mickeyrat wrote:
    found out from one of my bosses today that I don't play well with others.
    I am a Dept. Head (Manager) for my company and being one who has admitted my life is UNmanagable how do I strike that balance trying to live what the program teaches and getting people to do what I want.Not in selfish terms but for the good of our business?Part of me doesn't really care about what others think or feel about me But this behaviour is impacting my work.Any thoughts?

It is good to remember that you have to take care of the folks that make things happen.
    Treat your workers like you would want to be treated.
    Hold On
    11th step prayer. resentment prayer. Save me from being angry.

if you do what you always do, you get what you always got...

Think about it...

If nothing changes, NOTHING CHANGES..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    So, I started out only a week ago, I just wanted to write a few words on here. For those who are already writing here and for those who may be in the situation I was a week ago, wondering if you can ever begin...

Just hang in there...i am pretty new to this 4 months sober.....Itsthe people in aa and my family an god that have helped me so much.
    This is Not For You
    So, I started out only a week ago, I just wanted to write a few words on here. For those who are already writing here and for those who may be in the situation I was a week ago, wondering if you can ever begin...

Just hang in there...i am pretty new to this 4 months sober.....Itsthe people in aa and my family an god that have helped me so much.
    You can say that again!!!!!!!