Options

PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    catch22 wrote:
    don't become a poster person ;)

those people scare me more than any alcoholic i ever met!

"Flippers anynomous"?

Or "Poster Purchases arnonymous"??
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,683
    catch22 wrote:
    don't become a poster person ;)

those people scare me more than any alcoholic i ever met!
    was speaking more of the boots and that.waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to many poster threads.also seems like for quite a few on here that it's work then the boards all day every day.I mean I dearly love the music and all that but come on, some of this stuff is a bit much. see a whole lot of sarcasm towards everyone , especially newbies like me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    You really have to take an 'Easy Does It' attitude toward anything and everything for awhile when you are first trying to stay sober. I was so obsessed with getting drunk and high for 25+ years that when I lost that, I didn't know what to do. I not only loved the booze and drugs so much, I also loved the lifestyle that went with it. That is a huge hole to fill. You are totally recreating yourself when you get sober.
  • Options
    AA may not add years to your life..

but it will add life to your years...

Had enough?
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    found out from one of my bosses today that I don't play well with others.
    I am a Dept. Head (Manager) for my company and being one who has admitted my life is UNmanagable how do I strike that balance trying to live what the program teaches and getting people to do what I want.Not in selfish terms but for the good of our business?Part of me doesn't really care about what others think or feel about me But this behaviour is impacting my work.Any thoughts?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    I am a Dept. Head (Manager) for my company and being one who has admitted my life is UNmanagable how do I strike that balance trying to live what the program teaches and getting people to do what I want.Not in selfish terms but for the good of our business?Part of me doesn't really care about what others think or feel about me But this behaviour is impacting my work.Any thoughts?

I am in the same boat.. like most alcholics we are control freaks..

what has worked for me is trying out some of these aspects:

1) Get 'right-sized" / reducing my incredble ego..try to stay humble...
    2) Keep my side of ths street clean.. stop taking everyone else's inventory.

3) Find ways to get to "yes" with my co-workers, I try it their way for a change..was a breath of fresh air...

4) You don't have to go to every fight you are invited to... ( a big change for me).. it just ain't worth it...

A buddy of mine uses a "code word" when he disagrees with someone .. He says "You know you might be right!" (which means you might be wrong as well!)

Try it out.. changes the dynamic of your conversations..

5) I try to realize my higher power is the only one keeping score... what other people think of me is none of MY business..

Hope this helps..

remember, its progress not perfection!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    much appreciated.

• Options
    anyone out there have anything they can share..?

open forum here..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    anyone out there have anything they can share..?

open forum here..
    if no one else does have anything , we can certainly keep this going.

• Options
    todays quote from Easy Does It (haz.)

"look for similarities rather than differences" Anonymous

Damn I love that guy. comes up with some good stuff

• Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    mickeyrat wrote:

sorry, i've never really had any leadership positions and know nothing about trying to manage a workplace. i'm still just trying to get through law school!
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:
    sorry, i've never really had any leadership positions and know nothing about trying to manage a workplace. i'm still just trying to get through law school!
    so is the wife! what year?

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    so is the wife! what year?

third. i'm almost to the finish line. then i get to see if my past will be a problem for the bar exam's character fitness portion.
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:
    third. i'm almost to the finish line. then i get to see if my past will be a problem for the bar exam's character fitness portion.
    she's first any tips on torts and contracts?

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    she's first any tips on torts and contracts?

not offhand. i had horrible study habits and rode the curve first year. my only tip would be to sstay calm, do what worked for her to get her there, and ignore the freaks who will look like studying machines and intimidate everyone. she doesn't need to do what they do.
  • Options
    yesterdays quote from 'seasons of the spirit' (haz) not 12 step but meditation related book for getting old farts. like me

"Who , then , can so softly bind up the wound of another , as he who has felt the same wound?" Thomas Jefferson

Todays quote later

• Options
    i gave a lead today on being of service to others. good times. i've not given one of those in a while.
  • Options
    from 'Easy Does It' (haz.)

"Our family. parents , and loved ones can ' push our buttons'. Thats because they installed them.

• Options
    'In Gods Care*'(haz.)
    *As We Understand God

"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead" Chinese Proverb

• Options
    catch22 wrote:
    i gave a lead today on being of service to others. good times. i've not given one of those in a while.
    Asked to speak at the end of the month trying not to rehearse but....

For me I'm fine up until the opening readings get closer to the introduction.Then the butterflies get to flying something fierce.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Asked to speak at the end of the month trying not to rehearse but....

For me I'm fine up until the opening readings get closer to the introduction.Then the butterflies get to flying something fierce.

good for you!

you'll get some spiritual cleansing out of it...

I try to spend5 minutes on my drunklog (everyone's been there / done that) and 10 minutes on recovery (what everyone is there to hear)..

Just a suggestion..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    good for you!

I try to spend5 minutes on my drunklog (everyone's been there / done that) and 10 minutes on recovery (what everyone is there to hear)..

Just a suggestion..

this time i prepared a few notes for myself and wore a watch. in the past, i try to do what you just said, but always end up running out of time and going from drunk stories to "then i got arrested, sent to rehab, and sobered up. thanks!"
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    good for you!

Just a suggestion..
    we do approx. 45 min. out of the hour .depends on the readings.and i do feel good after doing it.

• Options
    I would say 95% of the speakers at the podium get too caught up in their drunk log..

(yes, I'm taking inventory)..

The recovery story and the "gifts" you have been given from your recovery is where the magic is...

and don't get caught up in all the "you gotta learn the Steps/ Read Big Book!" talk..

you have to learn to crawl before you can walk..

Go to as many meetings as you can (mix them up) and get a 24 hour book.. read three paragraphs a day..

I started out with the 24 hour book (you can buy any of these at Borders or Barnes and Noble) because my attention span is so short...

also, with the 12 step meetings, you can start on any step the group is reviewing.. just jump in...

(in my humble opinion)

You never finish the steps in 12 step recovery.. you keep doing them over and over...

Wish someone told me that when I first came into the program... I thought I had to get a cetrificate of achievment for each one.. (!)
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    well the last couple I've tried to incorporate the FACT that a higher power was working for my benifit the whole time , just that I didn't/wouldn't care to admit it or recognize it.

• Options
    its progress not perfection my friend..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    locked wrote:
    its progress not perfection my friend..
    so they tell me.Sllllloooooooowwwwwwly progressing.all good and right on time

• Options
    came to a realization at my home group tonight.One topic was willingness to make amends.I realized during the meeting that whatever my personal feelings are toward a given individual , they are still deserving of my attempt at an amends.Big one for me.Just wanted to share that.

• Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE my JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm GGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL to have it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    We R Hardcoree PJ Fans but we have our sound too but ...Tribute to the Greatest band ever PJ ... We R from Nepal but residing in Minnesota ..Do chk em coversss .. hope u guys like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RntZ2B8yyG4
    Alive cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m8p5...ture=re lated

Yellow Ledbetter cover

Humble tribute to Eddie and the rest of the Band members from Nepal