Options

PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• Options
    just discovered speaker tapes, a great way to get some of the program in English for me. Listened to Bill's speech on the day Bob died and was pretty choked by the end of it. Just hearing Bill's voice, having heard his name a thousand times in the last few months, was so great. I could have spent that hour watching TV or doing nothing or drinking... where would that have got me?
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,358
    Hmmm, 4 years ago today I KNEW it was done. Felt it with every fiber of my being. Just DONE.Over.
    Still need to get the help I need on a daily basis, but now I ask without hesitation.
    what a wonderful way to live!!

Had the opportunity to walk down "memory lane" as it were the past couple of days.
    The nature of my job is to travel the city.
    Friday , I drove down the street where I had my last , and just yesterday I drove down High Street ,here in Columbus and passed the park bench I slept on when first living on the streets.

Good time for reflection.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Hmmm, 4 years ago today I KNEW it was done. Felt it with every fiber of my being. Just DONE.Over.
    Still need to get the help I need on a daily basis, but now I ask without hesitation.

Had the opportunity to walk down "memory lane" as it were the past couple of days.
    Friday , I drove down the street where I had my last , and just yesterday I drove down High Street ,here in Columbus and passed the park bench I slept on when first living on the streets.

4 years. congrats! That is brilliant.

I heard a good one today. Friend of mine once heard in a meeting: "If I wasn't an alcoholic, I'd drink every day"
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

4 years. congrats! That is brilliant.

I heard a good one today. Friend of mine once heard in a meeting: "If I wasn't an alcoholic, I'd drink every day"
    HAHAHAHA!!!! yeah me too.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,007
    heard another one too:

"Feelings are not Facts"...

so true!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    wow , what a show.

Had zero problems at the preparty , being literally surrounded by people drinking. And at the show some fan was enjoying some fine smelling bud. Still zero thoughts in that direction.
    Rocked my ass off!!!! And I remember what happened!!!!!
    For the rest of you waiting to hit your show(s), Have a great time. You're in for a ride.

• Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    wow , what a show.

Had zero problems at the preparty , being literally surrounded by people drinking. And at the show some fan was enjoying some fine smelling bud. Still zero thoughts in that direction.
    Rocked my ass off!!!! And I remember what happened!!!!!
    For the rest of you waiting to hit your show(s), Have a great time. You're in for a ride.

sobriety rocks...

pass it on..!

I've been going to shows sober since 2005..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,471
    what constitues having a problem with alcohol in your mind? i realize it's different per person. but at what point do you think the line is crossed?

just curious...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DreamOfAngelsDreamOfAngels Posts: 829
    Ok. Here's a question for those stronger than I... I was insane on Thursday night after finding out I won the lottery for front row center between Ed and Stone in Columbus. I was asked the question "if Ed hands you his wine - are you going to drink it?"

Wow... now that's a question. I flip-flopped back and forth on my answer and had great rationalization for either the yes or no answer. Now it is 4 days after the show and I'm still stumped as to what I would do if he would have given me the wine. Thankfully, he started it at the end of the row vs. in the center so I never saw it.

I never liked wine so would taking a drink be harmless? Would it be insane to make an exception to drinking like this? I've never made any exceptions since I quit about 3 1/2 years ago. Are there ever acceptable moments? or am I just crazy for thinking that if I had made this exception it wouldn't have been a big deal. I know that if he were drinking Crown... now that would be a different story - I know not to touch that ;)

Just curious if you have ever thought about this and what your thought process would be. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    what constitues having a problem with alcohol in your mind? i realize it's different per person. but at what point do you think the line is crossed?

just curious...
    really , I suppose it's different for each person. For me, from THE VERY FIRST time I drank , I could NOT get enough. Can probably count one one hand the times I drank "socially". And half of those times I had "other" things on my mind.

How I drank was this, to drink as much as I possibly could once I started. AND I always started.

If you are truly interested Jeags(just for info sake) pm me.

• Options
    Ok. Here's a question for those stronger than I... I was insane on Thursday night after finding out I won the lottery for front row center between Ed and Stone in Columbus. I was asked the question "if Ed hands you his wine - are you going to drink it?"

Wow... now that's a question. I flip-flopped back and forth on my answer and had great rationalization for either the yes or no answer. Now it is 4 days after the show and I'm still stumped as to what I would do if he would have given me the wine. Thankfully, he started it at the end of the row vs. in the center so I never saw it.

I never liked wine so would taking a drink be harmless? Would it be insane to make an exception to drinking like this? I've never made any exceptions since I quit about 3 1/2 years ago. Are there ever acceptable moments? or am I just crazy for thinking that if I had made this exception it wouldn't have been a big deal. I know that if he were drinking Crown... now that would be a different story - I know not to touch that ;)

Just curious if you have ever thought about this and what your thought process would be. Thanks for sharing.

Ya know, that thought crossed my mind prior to the show. Still thought I was a shoein for lottery!! :mrgreen: what if. Big ego I have , I told myself that I would not take the bottle and mouth the words "I'm like Mike" and point to Mike. Of course that set off a little "movie" in my head as to how things would go. Ended with Mike giving me his phone #!!!!!! Talk about delusional!

As for the thought it would be okay cuz I didn't drink wine before, etc.
    BULLSHIT!!!! never okay for this drunk. Not today.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,471
    mickeyrat wrote:

just curious...
    really , I suppose it's different for each person. For me, from THE VERY FIRST time I drank , I could NOT get enough. Can probably count one one hand the times I drank "socially". And half of those times I had "other" things on my mind.

How I drank was this, to drink as much as I possibly could once I started. AND I always started.

thanks...yeah i've just always wondered the opions of people who are in aa are on this subject. i mean it seems like all of my friends--like literally everyone i hang out with can be considered an alcoholic in one way or another. we always joke that everytime we hang out, we get fall down drunk. that's not quite as true now as it used to be....but, well, it kinda is. everyone of us has had multiple run ins with the law for different alcohol related crimes--both big and small. we're all in our low 30's now so it's not as bad as it was when we were younger and it's something we've always joked about. and it seems to be the case with just about every group or friends i know of. but there is probably some truth to it...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

just curious...

thanks...yeah i've just always wondered the opions of people who are in aa are on this subject. i mean it seems like all of my friends--like literally everyone i hang out with can be considered an alcoholic in one way or another. we always joke that everytime we hang out, we get fall down drunk. that's not quite as true now as it used to be....but, well, it kinda is. everyone of us has had multiple run ins with the law for different alcohol related crimes--both big and small. we're all in our low 30's now so it's not as bad as it was when we were younger and it's something we've always joked about. and it seems to be the case with just about every group or friends i know of. but there is probably some truth to it...
    Jeags, I never stopped drinking like that. Maybe there's your difference. Didn't matter what I had to do to get it or what I had to do the next day. Alcohol came first.When I drank IT WAS ON!!!
    The real question is about control.Once you start can you stop?
    Not saying you need to for you. But it may help you understand a bit better. If you're up for a little reading. You can go to www.aa.org. There you can access the book. 3 chapters to read. The Dr's Opinion , Chapters 2 and 3.
    Gives a very good explaination on alcoholism. I think you would find most AA's would agree. At least I hope so for their sake.

Again I am in no way suggesting you are one.

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

i wouldnt drink it purely cause it was handed to me by someone i dont know. yeah sure hes 'eddie vedder' but i dont know eddie vedder.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

just curious...

I think you just 'know', kind of like people just 'know' they are gay from an early age... I just knew I couldn't stop drinking.

I think that for me the line was crossed when I let go of the delusion that one day the problem would just disappear of its own accord. I came to realise that I'd been waiting years for external factors like a better job, marriage, kids, responsibility, etc, to overcome my drinking, I had got many of those things but my drinking was still there and still just the same as ever.

In mind, you know you are an alkie when you know you cannot stop drinking.
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Ya know, that thought crossed my mind prior to the show. Still thought I was a shoein for lottery!! :mrgreen: what if. Big ego I have , I told myself that I would not take the bottle and mouth the words "I'm like Mike" and point to Mike. Of course that set off a little "movie" in my head as to how things would go. Ended with Mike giving me his phone #!!!!!! Talk about delusional!

I had an idea to write to Mike and thank him for being a real sober role model for us PJ fans but finally decided it would be inappropriate. Same as you, the delusional fantasy ended with us keeping contact, holidaying together, etc... :)

I'm glad I never wrote that letter.

Must be hard for people like Mike, we have our anonymity, famous people have none, even as AAs.
  • Options
    Good thread.

I have been in recovery a few years and one thing I have learned is, I simply don't react to alcohol biologically like most people. I have a physical allergy to alcohol. I taste some and I want more and cannot control this. I always thought that others had the same urge once they drank but were able to control it through will power. Apparently this is not so -- others don't have this phenomenon of craving that takes over once I have that first drink.

For those new to recovery, I encourage you to latch onto those in your program whom you respect because they seem to have achieved a long term attitude of love and tolerance. And they put this attitude in action. Get a sponsor and go deep into the Big Book and follow the clear-cut directions it offers. It is hard work sometimes but the payoff cannot be put into words. The promises do come true. Peace and serenity to all those trudging the road of happy destiny.
    I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
    EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
    EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
    Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

I had an idea to write to Mike and thank him for being a real sober role model for us PJ fans but finally decided it would be inappropriate. Same as you, the delusional fantasy ended with us keeping contact, holidaying together, etc... :)

I'm glad I never wrote that letter.

Must be hard for people like Mike, we have our anonymity, famous people have none, even as AAs.
    ya know, don't think I've ever heard a direct reference to him being in the program. Although in the Imagine in Cornice DVD he was talking about his tattoos and said "to say I'm obsessed is am understatement" Which led me to believe he was in AA or some other fellowship.

• Options
    Mike discusses it in an interview in 1995. I found it on YouTube a while back. The person doing the interview mentions being in recovery at some point and then they discuss that topic a little more.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603X6iDmYpQ
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upaqlCweMNY

I wonder how he is able to remain strong and convicted being in this business with it surrounding him so much... even on stage with Eddie.
    i wouldnt drink it purely cause it was handed to me by someone i dont know. yeah sure hes 'eddie vedder' but i dont know eddie vedder.
    In response to this post - it is more about the tradition I guess and the getting all wrapped up in the moment... Thinking that living in the moment would be okay is dangerous I know... thanks.
  • Options
    Here is another interview (2007). He talks about sobriety at about 5 mins on the first interview that continues into the 2nd part.
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlG8FcG4_0w
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAeTOOolokU

This is a beautiful interview with Mike.
  • Options

I wonder how he is able to remain strong and convicted being in this business with it surrounding him so much... even on stage with Eddie.

To be honest, I don't think I've met an AA who didn't say, "my work made it difficult for me to stay sober".
    the factory worker says "everyone drunk at the end of the shift"
    the sales rep says "i'm expected to drink with my clients"
    the fireman says "i need a drink after a shift to take the edge off the responsibility"
    every single profession has it's own validation for drinking, special circumstances under which the alcoholic convinces himself that his work demands that he drinks.

I think in that people in the record business really don't have it any harder than barmen, garbagemen or surgeons - if you have a good program, you stop blaming the job you are in. Perversely, it may even be easier for people in such industries to find rehab than it is for blue collar workers as they have a) more financial resources and b) more people (like managers, labels and so on) who are interested in the individual getting and staying sober.

Still, kudos to anyone who gets to AA and stays with the program, everyone is an equal triumph of spirit.
  • Options
    Mike discusses it in an interview in 1995. I found it on YouTube a while back. The person doing the interview mentions being in recovery at some point and then they discuss that topic a little more.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603X6iDmYpQ
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upaqlCweMNY

In response to this post - it is more about the tradition I guess and the getting all wrapped up in the moment... Thinking that living in the moment would be okay is dangerous I know... thanks.
    Cool. The first vid seemed very much "business" and it was but sprinkled with rehab. The second on ethough. The change in body language, tone etc. Would have liked to hear more of that convo.

• Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    I have to put this on here because I'm not sure where else to share the information.

I sacrificed my tickets to Boston last night (gave them to my sister) because I am still newly sober & my little girl- well, little- she's 13, was really worried about mom (me) having a slip at the show.
    Concerts were always a big drinking time for me, so the fact that she was scard about me going was perfectly valid.

But man! Did I feel sorry for myself last night for not going. Especially when my drunk friends do things like call me during "Smile" and hold up the phone and I can hear everyone singing "I miss you allllrreeeaddddyyy.."

My 'consolation' prize is I get to see Uncle Neil on Friday in Worcester, solo acoustic in a tiny amphitheater. Much, much less of a trigger.
    Also I got to wake up this morning, sober, with a daughter who still has some confidence & trust in her mom. Plus I think the boys will be back in Boston at some point :)

Just wanted to share that.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,946
    ^^^ Wow, good on you riffrandall. I bet your daughter is thrilled right now. I can imagine how hard the decision not to go to the show was. I don't know if it means anything, coming from someone who doesn't know you, but I'm very proud of you. Congrats :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    I have to put this on here because I'm not sure where else to share the information.

I sacrificed my tickets to Boston last night (gave them to my sister) because I am still newly sober & my little girl- well, little- she's 13, was really worried about mom (me) having a slip at the show.
    Concerts were always a big drinking time for me, so the fact that she was scard about me going was perfectly valid.

But man! Did I feel sorry for myself last night for not going. Especially when my drunk friends do things like call me during "Smile" and hold up the phone and I can hear everyone singing "I miss you allllrreeeaddddyyy.."

My 'consolation' prize is I get to see Uncle Neil on Friday in Worcester, solo acoustic in a tiny amphitheater. Much, much less of a trigger.
    Also I got to wake up this morning, sober, with a daughter who still has some confidence & trust in her mom. Plus I think the boys will be back in Boston at some point :)

Just wanted to share that.
    NICE!!!!! THATS going to any length!!!!!!! :lol: and theres always the boot. Enjoy the show Friday!!!!

• Options
    Wow, what a wonderful weekend. Some fellow members have organized a longstanding sober campout weekned. Just got back home. Nightly campfire meetings, lots of love and laughter. People pitching in and helping out without being when someone was in need. Awesome awesome stuff. Look forward to labor day weekend for the same deal by the same people.

Hope everyone had a safe and sober one!!!

• Options
    I love sobriety for the lack of a need for piss breaks at concerts..

I went to Hartford and Boston..and did not miss a minute of either..

felt great the next day... clear head..

so I'll let you in on my little insight..

most people who come into recovery are not so much afraid of giving up drinking...
    as they are afraid of living a sober life...!

Think about that for a moment...

I had no idea how I was going to make it.. at first it seemed like staying sober was the life equivalent of holding your breath.. How am I going to do that?

With the exception of going to concerts... which I have contiuned to do now for alomost five years one day at a time... I changed EVERYTHING else...

Its hard at first, I won't kid you..

The first year was the toughest for me... (I couldn't even think of ONE WHOLE YEAR without drinking...WTF?)

but they tell you EVERYTHING has to change..
    you do what you always did.. you get what you alwys got..
    you want what we have..?
    do what we do..
    so..
    new relationships with women (or none sometimes)
    new friends (or none sometimes)
    new job... (or none sometimes)
    I turned it over to my higher power..
    but I never went back to my old world..

that is one reason I think I have been able to stay sober so far...

but someone told me the one thing you lose with your drinking years is time.. and you never get that back..
    I don't know how many years God has planned for me left but I made a conscious decision to spend it sober..
    I've been sober and I've been drunk and I can tell you ..
    sober is better
    and I have to say its been soooo worth it..

The program and God have given me back tenfold what i thought I lost in my old life..

"I erased it... a life wasted.. I'm never going back again..."

Its my theme song most days...

:D
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    First ever meeting of our English language group here in Wrocław, Poland this morning. 600,000 people live here, so I hope a few more people turn up over the next weeks, months and maybe even years....

By the way, upon a certain member's suggestion, the group is called 'Inside Job' :)
  • Options
    Our meeting moved out of one guy's living room and into a regular meeting spot today.
    There was a nice, official feel to that change.
    Good meeting and a really nice clubhouse.

It might get a bit thin on membership numbers at times with only 4 of us attending right now, especially as a couple of us will have holidays away in the summer. But, you know, as the literature says 'any two people meeting can called themselves a group'.
  • Options
    Our meeting moved out of one guy's living room and into a regular meeting spot today.
    There was a nice, official feel to that change.
    Good meeting and a really nice clubhouse.

It might get a bit thin on membership numbers at times with only 4 of us attending right now, especially as a couple of us will have holidays away in the summer. But, you know, as the literature says 'any two people meeting can called themselves a group'.
    :D Awesome!!!!! 8-)8-)8-)8-) And yes , it will take some work on the "original" members part. Stick with it and good things will come to pass.