Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Here's a thought on why people don't want to go back to work...
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/10/19/1047032996/why-are-so-many-americans-quitting-their-jobs?fbclid=IwAR3P-sK5hgBMGIuHhA6FTuRyOfmot1o-hQpbtWIQyXpivbW3Evx36jcF8E0

I'm probably blessed in my office-work-at-home life but I'm not feeling very many effects. We order a lot of stuff and aside from the occasional random thing seemingly disappearing from grocery store shelves for weeks and a couple of businesses having reduced hours, I'm not noticing much. But then again, I'm in a bubble.

The biggest inconvenience I've had happened yesterday. I decided to call the vet because my dog has some bald spots. I found out yesterday that just about every veterinarian is scheduling out at least four weeks. So I waited a couple hours in vet urgent care and spent an extra $50 for an appointment because I think it might be ringworm (test now pending). But you ask about "...and your surrounding area." and it looks like this is a nationwide problem due in large part to a huge increase in pet ownership during the pandemic.
    Hope you don't have to wait long for ivermectin if it is indeed a worm. (thanks Joe Rogan & Alex Jones et al) 

RE: Traffic, more people are on the roads in the Boston area, but I think a lot of people are opting to drive to work as opposed to taking the subway since offices reopened. 

I work in manufacturing, and there are a lot of people panic buying, which isn't helping the supply chain. We're on pace to sell as many as 4X the amount of certain items that we sold last year, the usage has been impossible to anticipate. 

People operating like they did in 2019 (i.e. waiting until the last minute to order product expecting it to be available) are screwed.

It's a different world than it was 2 years ago. 

For the record, we make our product right here, we don't import. 
    We have to order materials far in advance now.  It's like 2009-2010 all over again.

I agree with people not using public transport again.

What are you guys making that people are gobbling up?
    We have to order way in advance. It's a damn nightmare. On top of that, we've increased our manufacturing wages 5 times to try to attract new workers & it hasn't worked yet. 
    Just out of curiosity, what are you offering?  I'm curious if it's too low of pay to entice people?

I thought $20 for a hospitality job in AC was pretty good.  Doing fast food or a restaurant?  not so much.
    It depends on their experience/skill set in manufacturing. It's anywhere from $20-30/hr + benefits. 
    For me in my 20's that is fair.  Now? Not so much.
    $20/hr is with zero experience, and it adjusts from there. Believe me, I wish we could offer more, but it's not up to me & production isn't even my department within the company. The cost of living in the KC area is decent, but I would rather we start a bit higher. We may have to if the latest increases don't have decent results. 

Our manufacturing lines aren't heavy-labor intensive at all, either. These are primarily entry-level positions or just above. 
    20s is a fair starting wage.
    If you still live at home or rent a room in a house, yes.
    Which is what most of our entry level employees do---they have roommates, live at home, etc.

If someone applies with far more experience, we adjust accordingly. We did this last week, actually and brought them on as a for a salaried lower-management position. 

We just aren't receiving nearly as many applications as we did 2 years ago. That's a fact.
    I'd love to move out of NY but KC is not on the radar, lol.
    It's not on a lot of people's radars! LOL
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/10/19/1047032996/why-are-so-many-americans-quitting-their-jobs?fbclid=IwAR3P-sK5hgBMGIuHhA6FTuRyOfmot1o-hQpbtWIQyXpivbW3Evx36jcF8E0

I'm probably blessed in my office-work-at-home life but I'm not feeling very many effects. We order a lot of stuff and aside from the occasional random thing seemingly disappearing from grocery store shelves for weeks and a couple of businesses having reduced hours, I'm not noticing much. But then again, I'm in a bubble.

The biggest inconvenience I've had happened yesterday. I decided to call the vet because my dog has some bald spots. I found out yesterday that just about every veterinarian is scheduling out at least four weeks. So I waited a couple hours in vet urgent care and spent an extra $50 for an appointment because I think it might be ringworm (test now pending). But you ask about "...and your surrounding area." and it looks like this is a nationwide problem due in large part to a huge increase in pet ownership during the pandemic.
    Hope you don't have to wait long for ivermectin if it is indeed a worm. (thanks Joe Rogan & Alex Jones et al) 

RE: Traffic, more people are on the roads in the Boston area, but I think a lot of people are opting to drive to work as opposed to taking the subway since offices reopened. 

I work in manufacturing, and there are a lot of people panic buying, which isn't helping the supply chain. We're on pace to sell as many as 4X the amount of certain items that we sold last year, the usage has been impossible to anticipate. 

People operating like they did in 2019 (i.e. waiting until the last minute to order product expecting it to be available) are screwed.

We have to order materials far in advance now.  It's like 2009-2010 all over again.

We have to order way in advance. It's a damn nightmare. On top of that, we've increased our manufacturing wages 5 times to try to attract new workers & it hasn't worked yet. 
    Just out of curiosity, what are you offering?  I'm curious if it's too low of pay to entice people?

I thought $20 for a hospitality job in AC was pretty good.  Doing fast food or a restaurant?  not so much.
    It depends on their experience/skill set in manufacturing. It's anywhere from $20-30/hr + benefits. 
    $20/hr is with zero experience, and it adjusts from there. Believe me, I wish we could offer more, but it's not up to me & production isn't even my department within the company. The cost of living in the KC area is decent, but I would rather we start a bit higher. We may have to if the latest increases don't have decent results. 

Our manufacturing lines aren't heavy-labor intensive at all, either. These are primarily entry-level positions or just above. 
    Which is what most of our entry level employees do---they have roommates, live at home, etc.

If someone applies with far more experience, we adjust accordingly. We did this last week, actually and brought them on as a for a salaried lower-management position. 

We just aren't receiving nearly as many applications as we did 2 years ago. That's a fact.
    Your airport though?  Top 5 for sure.  That horseshoe or "C" shape?  Easy peasy in and out, not too many people.  Love it.

Burbank is my all time favorite though.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Your airport though?  Top 5 for sure.  That horseshoe or "C" shape?  Easy peasy in and out, not too many people.  Love it.

Glad you enjoyed it while it was easy. LOL

Major redesign has turned it into a cluster.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

They screwed it up? Typical...  That was really a great airport.  RIP.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Yup, it sure was. It should be completed in the next year.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Yes, better quality more durable items makes more sense.  You can purchase clothes that don’t need to be washed after every uses.

people just have too much junk, people buy to much junk that clogs landfills.

To paraphrase George Carlin “people live in bigger houses because they have to much, and then they get storage to keep more stuff.

I buy my pants at Eddie Bauer…don’t need to washed daily and seem to never wear out…

I would say that’s a small part of the problem.  The bigger problem is that shopping is a hobby to many Canadians or Americans.  People love to shop and spend.

You should witness the explosion of self storage centers in the US. Its cray-cray. So cray-cray they made a tv show out of it, Storage Wars. Madness.
    I’ve witnessed them here in Canada.  There are 3 with minutes of me.  Canadians love to shop and buy junk…I’m pretty sure if shopping was an Olympic sport Canada and US would sweep the medal podium…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

Don't feel bad, they are redesigning/overhauling Laguardia here and will make it even more of a clusterfuk than it was before.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:

Don't feel bad, they are redesigning/overhauling Laguardia here and will make it even more of a clusterfuk than it was before.

The last few times I had to go there I wanted to off myself.  Just too many people around, too many people flying in, too much congestion, damn construction non-stop....it is awful.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned on here that since we lost 700,000 people to Covid deaths that this might be a great part of the workforce?

I remember reading it somewhere but can't give credit for it to anyone.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Bummer!   Same thing with SFO (San Francisco International).  That used to be a wonderful airport, now it's a jammed up mess.  Though not nearly as bad, Sacramento's SMF is getting that way as well.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Only downside to Burbank is the long walk to car rental area, otherwise its a gem.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    Has anyone mentioned on here that since we lost 700,000 people to Covid deaths that this might be a great part of the workforce?

Considering over 540,000 of those deceased were 65 and over I don't think its a big factor.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Considering over 540,000 of those deceased were 65 and over I don't think its a big factor.
    It was a talking point but I guess that is now moot.

It was a thought to be added to the discussion and now has a pretty good defining moment that the deceased is not the workforce problem...
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    edited October 2021
    Poncier said:

It was a talking point but I guess that is now moot.

It was a thought to be added to the discussion and now has a pretty good defining moment that the deceased is not the workforce problem...
    I've wondered how many of the deceased elders were the babysitters for their grandkids so the parents could go to work. Now, one parent stays home instead of working and paying for daycare.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited October 2021
    I swung by IKEA last week to grab something, and I noticed that they were out of a bunch of standard items, so I asked them about it. They said that their shipments from overseas are all totally delayed, and a lot of it is most likely sitting in a ship or train waiting for a massive backlog at the port to clear up. Meanwhile, shit just keeps piling up.
    I also went to a White Spot and they were out of onion rings (gasp!). They said that they just hadn't received the shipment for ages. Bummer - I really wanted those onion rings man. No gas shortages or anything like that here... just expensive gas, with a recent price spike, which isn't unusual at all. The only thing that changes there is their excuses for why the price is spiking.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

$24 billion in goods is floating outside California's biggest ports

We are also moving in Christmas better known as get your credit card out and spend spend and spend.  

So prices will rise even more…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

We are also moving in Christmas better known as get your credit card out and spend spend and spend.  

So prices will rise even more…

Yep.  Al   I hear about is "expect rising prices".

Don't buy anything and it will be cheaper, I guarantee it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772

ARRRRR!  Who's with me?
    Pirates of the Caribbean At World39s End  Funny - TV Tropes

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

ARRRRR!  Who's with me?
    Pirates of the Caribbean At World39s End  Funny - TV Tropes

Send the Somalian Pirates over, it'll be fixed in 1 hr.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    I’ve worked in and around workforce/labor for a while, few observations/comments on the labor shortage and contributors:

1. with the increase in wages and available hours, especially in service, hospitality and retail, people who were working 2-3 part-time jobs to make ends meet, are now only having to work one. 

2. A lot of people retired, or retired early.

3. According to an article last week in either WSJ or Forbes (can’t remember which) over 600,000 filings for new business were submitted across the country over the past year. Basically, a number of people decide to start their own business or become consultants.

4. Excessive death rates. COVID permanently removed a few hundred thousand people of working age from the labor pool. Add on the continued increases of “deaths of despair/dying of whiteness/preventable deaths” (ODs, suicide, alcohol, etc…). 

Also, I was not aware that jobs in the cannabis industry are not counted in government labor reports. Not that it’s a large segment of the labor market, but I’m guessing it employs a share people who are not being counted in the numbers.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I’ve worked in and around workforce/labor for a while, few observations/comments on the labor shortage and contributors:

1. with the increase in wages and available hours, especially in service, hospitality and retail, people who were working 2-3 part-time jobs to make ends meet, are now only having to work one. 

3. According to an article last week in either WSJ or Forbes (can’t remember which) over 600,000 filings for new business were submitted across the country over the past year. Basically, a number of people decide to start their own business or become consultants.

4. Excessive death rates. COVID permanently removed a few hundred thousand people of working age from the labor pool. Add on the continued increases of “deaths of despair/dying of whiteness/preventable deaths” (ODs, suicide, alcohol, etc…). 

Also, I was not aware that jobs in the cannabis industry are not counted in government labor reports. Not that it’s a large segment of the labor market, but I’m guessing it employs a share people who are not being counted in the numbers.
    lol what is dying of whiteness?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options

Someone mentioned that most Covid deaths are of older and not the "working class".

Everything else I can agree with.
  • Options
    static111 said:

Lol.  Well if dying of whiteness is a thing, there goes white privilege.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011

Someone mentioned that most Covid deaths are of older and not the "working class".

Everything else I can agree with.

These are the demographics of Texas Covid deaths. The total deaths of 20-69 year olds is 30,826. 46% of the deaths. So, while a lot of older, likely non-working people have died, a significant portion of those that worked died. Apply that % to Worldometers USA deaths as of yesterday and that's 348,610 people no longer alive to work.

To me, there are many reasons for the worker shortage. Deaths being one of them.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Always go with actual data vs. "someone mentioned...."
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,532
    static111 said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/dying-whiteness-jonathan-metzl-podcast-transcript-ncna987671

"So, back in 2015, two Princeton professors, Anne Case and Angus Deaton, wrote a study of midlife mortality for white people, particularly white people without a college degree, and they found it was going way up. In fact, it had been better than African-Americans, and was now 30 percent worse in some cases. Again, what was driving this, what they call deaths of despair, alcohol-induced death, suicide, and particularly opioid overdoses. Something is happening in America, and particularly among white America, that is driving the effect we are seeing of lower life expectancy. And it is a genuine social mystery."
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Always go with actual data vs. "someone mentioned...."
    The data is right though...
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/
  • Options
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/covid19/mortality-overview.htm
    75% of deaths were 65 and older according to the CDC.