Options

Supply chains and Work shortages

All I hear in the news is a lagging workforce and supply chains being broke down from this.

Restaurants and retail not having enough workers to accommodate the customers. 
Increased pricing do to a backlog of materials not readily available.
Factories not having these materials nor a workforce to make these items.
Car and Truck supplies are limited causing a severe uptick in prices and availability along w a shortage and price increase on used vehicles.  I can't find a Tundra or 4Runner because of it.
Washington Times said today that there is a lack of workers by 10million in the US.  With other states ending the Covid relief funds earlier than others the powers that be aren't sure why people aren't/haven't gone back to work?

I bring all this up because for the past week I have driven to and from NYC for work.  I live 25 miles away.  It has taken me 2-3 hours to get home because of traffic so I find the lack of work force idea here in NY to be inflated.

What does it look like where you are?  What effects is it having on you and your surrounding area?

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Here's a thought on why people don't want to go back to work...
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/10/19/1047032996/why-are-so-many-americans-quitting-their-jobs?fbclid=IwAR3P-sK5hgBMGIuHhA6FTuRyOfmot1o-hQpbtWIQyXpivbW3Evx36jcF8E0

I'm probably blessed in my office-work-at-home life but I'm not feeling very many effects. We order a lot of stuff and aside from the occasional random thing seemingly disappearing from grocery store shelves for weeks and a couple of businesses having reduced hours, I'm not noticing much. But then again, I'm in a bubble.

The biggest inconvenience I've had happened yesterday. I decided to call the vet because my dog has some bald spots. I found out yesterday that just about every veterinarian is scheduling out at least four weeks. So I waited a couple hours in vet urgent care and spent an extra $50 for an appointment because I think it might be ringworm (test now pending). But you ask about "...and your surrounding area." and it looks like this is a nationwide problem due in large part to a huge increase in pet ownership during the pandemic.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2021/10/19/1047032996/why-are-so-many-americans-quitting-their-jobs?fbclid=IwAR3P-sK5hgBMGIuHhA6FTuRyOfmot1o-hQpbtWIQyXpivbW3Evx36jcF8E0

I'm probably blessed in my office-work-at-home life but I'm not feeling very many effects. We order a lot of stuff and aside from the occasional random thing seemingly disappearing from grocery store shelves for weeks and a couple of businesses having reduced hours, I'm not noticing much. But then again, I'm in a bubble.

The biggest inconvenience I've had happened yesterday. I decided to call the vet because my dog has some bald spots. I found out yesterday that just about every veterinarian is scheduling out at least four weeks. So I waited a couple hours in vet urgent care and spent an extra $50 for an appointment because I think it might be ringworm (test now pending). But you ask about "...and your surrounding area." and it looks like this is a nationwide problem due in large part to a huge increase in pet ownership during the pandemic.
    NPR had a great episode on the food industry and why so many didn't want to go back.

Food is one thing.  A good paying manufacturing job is a different story though.

While in Atlantic City a few months ago they were begging people to work.  Offering $20 for greater jobs and hospitality.  Not high stress jobs, and couldn't fill them.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited October 2021
    OnWis97 said:

Hope you don't have to wait long for ivermectin if it is indeed a worm. (thanks Joe Rogan & Alex Jones et al) 

RE: Traffic, more people are on the roads in the Boston area, but I think a lot of people are opting to drive to work as opposed to taking the subway since offices reopened. 

I work in manufacturing, and there are a lot of people panic buying, which isn't helping the supply chain. We're on pace to sell as many as 4X the amount of certain items that we sold last year, the usage has been impossible to anticipate. 

People operating like they did in 2019 (i.e. waiting until the last minute to order product expecting it to be available) are screwed.

It's a different world than it was 2 years ago. 

For the record, we make our product right here, we don't import. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Hope you don't have to wait long for ivermectin if it is indeed a worm. (thanks Joe Rogan & Alex Jones et al) 

RE: Traffic, more people are on the roads in the Boston area, but I think a lot of people are opting to drive to work as opposed to taking the subway since offices reopened. 

I work in manufacturing, and there are a lot of people panic buying, which isn't helping the supply chain. We're on pace to sell as many as 4X the amount of certain items that we sold last year, the usage has been impossible to anticipate. 

People operating like they did in 2019 (i.e. waiting until the last minute to order product expecting it to be available) are screwed.

We have to order materials far in advance now.  It's like 2009-2010 all over again.

I agree with people not using public transport again.

What are you guys making that people are gobbling up?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I live a outside Windsor, Ontario and it’s home to Windsor Assembly Plant that assembled the Chrysler mini van…they have been idled much of the year due to a chip shortage and declining sales.  Chrysler just announced 1800 permanent layoffs eliminating the 2nd shift and will be a 1 shift plant…which can effect an addition 5000 jobs.  These are all good paying factory jobs in an area that is starved for good paying jobs.

We have a large tool and die sector that will experience minor hiccups…many tool and die places only accept so much work from auto companies…less than 20% and these jobs are extremely well paying.

The restaurant industry here is starving for workers. I know a few people who used to work at restaurants and are not going back, they all have basically said working with the disgusting public  is no longer worth it…the stories they’ve told me and I don’t blame them…the biggest complaint I hear is that tipping has greatly decreased, employers and the public expect to much.

Good thread….

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    OnWis97 said:

We have to order materials far in advance now.  It's like 2009-2010 all over again.

Concrete demolition and rock drilling tools. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Concrete demolition and rock drilling tools. 
    OK.  I deal w Hilti all the time and they tell me most items are in stock but the occasional items are a few weeks out.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Closing early today. I'll try to get you an answer tomorrow.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Closing early today. I'll try to get you an answer tomorrow.
    lol, only does 10C threads during work hours.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    In my line of work we have known for awhile that certain items have been sitting on docks and or ships for months now.
    We just move on to something else to fill the holes.

• Options
    In my line of work we have known for awhile that certain items have been sitting on docks and or ships for months now.

I keep hearing this. 

Longshoreman jobs and trucking are very good paying jobs.  I don't understand why people would not want those types of jobs?
  • Options

I keep hearing this. 

Longshoreman jobs and trucking are very good paying jobs.  I don't understand why people would not want those types of jobs?
    LMFAO.  Young people today have no interest in trucking.  I have 2 family member who drove truck and left the industry... it's a great life if you wanna live in a truck...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

I keep hearing this. 

LMFAO.  Young people today have no interest in trucking.  I have 2 family member who drove truck and left the industry... it's a great life if you wanna live in a truck...
    You don't have to do long hauls and maybe Amazon needs to speed up their vision of peopleless transport trucks?
  • Options

I keep hearing this. 

You don't have to do long hauls and maybe Amazon needs to speed up their vision of peopleless transport trucks?
    LOL.  Yeah.  My brother-in-law left the industry after one too many idiot drivers cut him off causing him to jackknife and he felt fortunate that no one was killed.  The asshole driver who caused it just drove off.  Young people don't want kind of BS. 

A friend of his was cut off and killed a person...no fault of his...but that stays with you for life...who wants that's bs.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Same in Chicago. During covid shutdown my commute was 55 minutes to and from. Now it’s about 55 there in the morning and can be up to 2 hours in the way home. Cars everywhere. Construction projects are at least every 10 miles of interstate road. If no one is working, where is everyone going?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    edited October 2021
    I was talking to a lady in our Raley's grocery store the other day and she said they were 18 people short.  Other stores have had the same problem with worker shortage.  We've had some some repair issues that have taken a long time to resolve due to difficulty finding available hands to hire.   The work force is definitely down in our area.
    When COVID hit, a lot of people were out of work.  What happened?  Why are there so many worker vacancies now? Hasn't COVID mostly killed off the elderly and those with other health issues that made them more vulnerable?  With things opening up, have fewer people gone back to work?  Did the work force decrease because a lot of boomer aged people like myself decided once COVID hit, it was time to retire?  (That's basically what we did.   I'm no longer at the bookstore and my wife got out of her half of the business so now she is just consulting for the store and I'm just doing my little book business.)
    I'm curious about this.  Where did all the workers go? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    OnWis97 said:

Same boat we are in. Lead times for construction materials are ever changing and if you don't anticipate or pay attention to trends, delays are bound to happen. We have to pull off of jobs all of the time because other subs can't stay out in front of us. Most times due to a lack of foresight or supply shortages. The main concern with this lasting too long is our already lagging infrastructure falling further behind. The majority of our contracts are with school districts and universities, it is amazing how overcrowded they are and truly in need of these additions and new facilities.

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    OnWis97 said:

We have to order way in advance. It's a damn nightmare. On top of that, we've increased our manufacturing wages 5 times to try to attract new workers & it hasn't worked yet. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

We have to order way in advance. It's a damn nightmare. On top of that, we've increased our manufacturing wages 5 times to try to attract new workers & it hasn't worked yet. 
    Just out of curiosity, what are you offering?  I'm curious if it's too low of pay to entice people?

I thought $20 for a hospitality job in AC was pretty good.  Doing fast food or a restaurant?  not so much.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

Just out of curiosity, what are you offering?  I'm curious if it's too low of pay to entice people?

I thought $20 for a hospitality job in AC was pretty good.  Doing fast food or a restaurant?  not so much.
    It depends on their experience/skill set in manufacturing. It's anywhere from $20-30/hr + benefits. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I am an executive for a technology service firm, supporting multi-location companies across NA, with a large emphasis on Retail.

A few things we are seeing....
    • The technology components are f'd.  Major delays on chips mean major delays on all sorts of technology hardware.  Deployments that were planned over the past few years are pushed out.  Deployments or refreshes planned since the pandemic are staggered in their success rates.
    • Materials are f'd -- as part of building/remodeling locations for our clients (which there is a significant amount of work scheduled) we run new communications wiring and put in the infrastructure to support technology.  Materials prices have gone up multiple times this year, and are about to go up again, and in some cases the parts are u/a, without a realistic delivery date.  This has significant downstream impact.
    • Client health -- retailers are getting busy again, which is great, but as many are experiencing first-hand, the labor shortage is hugely impactful.  Retailers cannot find enough people to do jobs....jobs which finally pay better, jobs with benefits, and jobs that you do not need significant experience or education to gain.  The biggest issue?  The public.  The public behave like a bunch of wild animals and nobody wants to work with them.  They would rather collect from the govt.
    • Contingent Labor Force -- charging 50% more than they used to in most areas.  People are not working with you to take the tough jobs so they can have the easy jobs.  Small or tougher jobs are costs 2x right now in many areas.  The technicians are making so much money that they just do not need to take smaller or tougher jobs.  Totally bonkers world.  People who were working hard and making $120,000 a few years ago now are more "Technical Guns for Hire", working fewer hours and making $200,000.

The particular market we work in will not support these different factors without massive increase in rates to the end clients, who almost all provide goods directly to the public.  What does that mean?  The prices are going to go through the roof, soon enough. 
    Only so long these companies can bite the bullet.

The wild, wild, worst out there right now.

Many folks are slaying it, right now.  To them, I clap...and say that you need to get while the gettin' is good.
    There will be a reckoning, soon enough, though.  Things cannot go the way they are w/o major impact.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I am an executive for a technology service firm, supporting multi-location companies across NA, with a large emphasis on Retail.

A few things we are seeing....
    • The technology components are f'd.  Major delays on chips mean major delays on all sorts of technology hardware.  Deployments that were planned over the past few years are pushed out.  Deployments or refreshes planned since the pandemic are staggered in their success rates.
    • Materials are f'd -- as part of building/remodeling locations for our clients (which there is a significant amount of work scheduled) we run new communications wiring and put in the infrastructure to support technology.  Materials prices have gone up multiple times this year, and are about to go up again, and in some cases the parts are u/a, without a realistic delivery date.  This has significant downstream impact.
    • Client health -- retailers are getting busy again, which is great, but as many are experiencing first-hand, the labor shortage is hugely impactful.  Retailers cannot find enough people to do jobs....jobs which finally pay better, jobs with benefits, and jobs that you do not need significant experience or education to gain.  The biggest issue?  The public.  The public behave like a bunch of wild animals and nobody wants to work with them.  They would rather collect from the govt.
    • Contingent Labor Force -- charging 50% more than they used to in most areas.  People are not working with you to take the tough jobs so they can have the easy jobs.  Small or tougher jobs are costs 2x right now in many areas.  The technicians are making so much money that they just do not need to take smaller or tougher jobs.  Totally bonkers world.  People who were working hard and making $120,000 a few years ago now are more "Technical Guns for Hire", working fewer hours and making $200,000.

The particular market we work in will not support these different factors without massive increase in rates to the end clients, who almost all provide goods directly to the public.  What does that mean?  The prices are going to go through the roof, soon enough. 
    Only so long these companies can bite the bullet.

The wild, wild, worst out there right now.

Many folks are slaying it, right now.  To them, I clap...and say that you need to get while the gettin' is good.
    There will be a reckoning, soon enough, though.  Things cannot go the way they are w/o major impact.
    Because of the chip shortage Intel is looking to build a superconductor plant here in the US.  That's good but it's a few years out...

This inflation won't be good for me and my salaried position.  No way I'm going to see an increase like there is across the boards...  Might be time to branch out.

As far as the smaller jobs costing more, that has always been there.  Just maybe not on a scale like this now.  Smaller jobs should cost more because they are usually more of a PITA to do and a problem always arises, lol.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

It depends on their experience/skill set in manufacturing. It's anywhere from $20-30/hr + benefits. 
    For me in my 20's that is fair.  Now? Not so much.
  • Options
    The way to solve the labour shortage is through better pay and benefits…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I'm very curious if that is what would be a fix hence starting this thread.

For the restaurant and food industries absolutely.  Everything else, we will see.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

$20/hr is with zero experience, and it adjusts from there. Believe me, I wish we could offer more, but it's not up to me & production isn't even my department within the company. The cost of living in the KC area is decent, but I would rather we start a bit higher. We may have to if the latest increases don't have decent results. 

Our manufacturing lines aren't heavy-labor intensive at all, either. These are primarily entry-level positions or just above. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

$20/hr is with zero experience, and it adjusts from there. Believe me, I wish we could offer more, but it's not up to me & production isn't even my department within the company. The cost of living in the KC area is decent, but I would rather we start a bit higher. We may have to if the latest increases don't have decent results. 

Our manufacturing lines aren't heavy-labor intensive at all, either. These are primarily entry-level positions or just above. 
    20s is a fair starting wage.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I'm very curious if that is what would be a fix hence starting this thread.

For the restaurant and food industries absolutely.  Everything else, we will see.
    I semi retired because the wages sucked and employers ask to much out of their employee’s…so I said fuck it.  I still apply for jobs…but my starting wage is 22…anything less, forget it.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

If you still live at home or rent a room in a house, yes.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    OnWis97 said:

If you still live at home or rent a room in a house, yes.
    That’s a great point.  
    Give Peas A Chance…