Options

Supply chains and Work shortages

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    dankind said:
    it's all a scam. gas prices also skyrocket the second oil prices go up. that gas at the pump has been in the ground up to a month already (I know, I used to be the guy that measured how much was left in the underground tanks and did the ordering). that gas isn't costing the companies the price it will cost them when that oil is refined and shipped and delivered. 
    I used to be that guy, too, but for a single pump for outboard motors at a fish camp my family owned.

Horror story: One time while measuring, I let go of the pole in the tank for a few seconds to lift my head to tell a customer I'd be right with him, and when I turned back around to get back to measuring, the pole had moved and pierced right through my eye! Unfortunately, this predated the Motherfucker! thread. 

It healed up fine, but I stuck to selling snacks, refreshments, and bait, and cleaning campers' catches after that.
    This is the most "WTF" post I've read on here!   
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    dankind said:
    it's all a scam. gas prices also skyrocket the second oil prices go up. that gas at the pump has been in the ground up to a month already (I know, I used to be the guy that measured how much was left in the underground tanks and did the ordering). that gas isn't costing the companies the price it will cost them when that oil is refined and shipped and delivered. 
    I used to be that guy, too, but for a single pump for outboard motors at a fish camp my family owned.

Horror story: One time while measuring, I let go of the pole in the tank for a few seconds to lift my head to tell a customer I'd be right with him, and when I turned back around to get back to measuring, the pole had moved and pierced right through my eye! Unfortunately, this predated the Motherfucker! thread. 

It healed up fine, but I stuck to selling snacks, refreshments, and bait, and cleaning campers' catches after that.
    So, were you right with him, or did you make him wait longer?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,066
    Was in a bigger construction chain store out on the island and the place was bare.  They are having a hard time getting things to stock.

Their Dewalt section had almost nothing but I can still acquire Hilti tools and epoxy if I need.

Anyone else seeing tools disappear from the shelves?
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,828
    Was in a bigger construction chain store out on the island and the place was bare.  They are having a hard time getting things to stock.

Their Dewalt section had almost nothing but I can still acquire Hilti tools and epoxy if I need.

2” blue tape, about 100 different SKU from Benjamin Moore, tons and tons of items. Bath tub epoxy. This list is endless. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

2” blue tape, about 100 different SKU from Benjamin Moore, tons and tons of items. Bath tub epoxy. This list is endless. 
    Blue painters tape?  No shit?  I believe most of what you listed is manufactured in China so I can see that.

Dewalt is China whereas Hilti is a few countries.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Blue painters tape?  No shit?  I believe most of what you listed is manufactured in China so I can see that.

My Benjamin Moore paint is made in CLIFTON NJ!! They say it’s resins and materials that are short. Not just BM. Sherwin Williams and most paint companies are having a tough time filling shelves. This has been a problem for over a year and it continues to get worse and worse. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I have a 4 page Out of Stock list for sundries and a 2 page list for Benjamin Moore paints. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,665
    nicknyr15 said:

From the Google machine. I'm actually surprised as I would have thought most or all would have also been assembled in China? China is currently in covid lockdown so that has to be having an impact on supply chains. Hilti seems to have the bulk of their manufacturing business in Europe. Again, surprising.

No, not all DeWalt tools are made in the USA. However, they have a select line of products that are assembled in the USA from international materials. These American assembled tools are made across 7 different U.S. facilities, listed below.

• Charlotte, NC
    • Cheraw, SC
    • Greenfield, IN
    • Hampstead, MD
    • Jackson, TN
    • New Britain, CT
    • Shelbyville, KY

The international materials they use come from a variety of locations, including: Brazil, the United Kingdom, Italy, the Czech Republic, Mexico, China, and some parts from the U.S.

From Hilti's website:

https://www.hilti.group/content/hilti/CP/XX/en/company/corporate-information/production-locations.html

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

My Benjamin Moore paint is made in CLIFTON NJ!! They say it’s resins and materials that are short. Not just BM. Sherwin Williams and most paint companies are having a tough time filling shelves. This has been a problem for over a year and it continues to get worse and worse. 
    BM, PPG, I remember being made here.  I thought Dupont was too?

There are more things I am noticing that aren't around.  I know you mentioned this for a while Nick, about stocking things.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

From the Google machine. I'm actually surprised as I would have thought most or all would have also been assembled in China? China is currently in covid lockdown so that has to be having an impact on supply chains. Hilti seems to have the bulk of their manufacturing business in Europe. Again, surprising.

No, not all DeWalt tools are made in the USA. However, they have a select line of products that are assembled in the USA from international materials. These American assembled tools are made across 7 different U.S. facilities, listed below.

• Charlotte, NC
    • Cheraw, SC
    • Greenfield, IN
    • Hampstead, MD
    • Jackson, TN
    • New Britain, CT
    • Shelbyville, KY

The international materials they use come from a variety of locations, including: Brazil, the United Kingdom, Italy, the Czech Republic, Mexico, China, and some parts from the U.S.

From Hilti's website:

https://www.hilti.group/content/hilti/CP/XX/en/company/corporate-information/production-locations.html

We use a lot of Hilti stuff and they give us classes and webinars about their products so we know a bit about them.

Dewalt for the most part I thought had "repair" centers in the US, did not know they assembled things here.  Interesting.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

BM, PPG, I remember being made here.  I thought Dupont was too?

There are more things I am noticing that aren't around.  I know you mentioned this for a while Nick, about stocking things.
    Yup. This is nothing new. It’s a whole job just keeping on top of out of stock items. And price increases? Forget it. 20-70% on everything. Surcharges up the ass 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,848
    FFS I just want my goddamn Degree Sport. is that too much to ask? now my pits gotta smell like the fucking ocean or something. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    FFS I just want my goddamn Degree Sport. is that too much to ask? now my pits gotta smell like the fucking ocean or something. 
    Instead of "sport?"
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    lol I use Degree Arctic Edge, cause I like the Arctic :)  I hope that doesn't become a shortage.
  • Options
    How did we get to this point of having a baby formula shortage? I feel for parents scrambling around dealing with this problem. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    How did we get to this point of having a baby formula shortage? I feel for parents scrambling around dealing with this problem. 
    I think it's a damn ploy to get people to over react and pay more...

I also find it hard to believe that we can't make formula on a quick production pace to catch up.  We have plenty of wipes and hand disinfectant now to last the next pandemic so let's make some formula now.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    nicknyr15 said:
    This has been an interesting story to follow. Apparently there is an oligopoly in the production of baby formula in this country. Abbott, the largest manufacture of formula who have 40% of the market share, was forced to shutdown their only production facility due to contamination issues. Also, there are strict import regulation in place that basically eliminate the ability to import formula produced outside of the US.

https://fortune.com/2022/05/14/baby-formula-shortage-milk-monopoly-fda/amp/
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,133
    nicknyr15 said:

I also find it hard to believe that we can't make formula on a quick production pace to catch up.  We have plenty of wipes and hand disinfectant now to last the next pandemic so let's make some formula now.
    I imagine it has to do with the regulations around Baby formula being just a tad more complex than hand sanitizer :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,894
    nicknyr15 said:
    This has been an interesting story to follow. Apparently there is an oligopoly in the production of baby formula in this country. Abbott, the largest manufacture of formula who have 40% of the market share, was forced to shutdown their only production facility due to contamination issues. Also, there are strict import regulation in place that basically eliminate the ability to import formula produced outside of the US.

add in that Abbott sought to hide the contamination evidence and lied to fda....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Abbott is a customer of my company. did weekend run once taking load of liquid bulk package product from a plant in columbus up to that one that shut down.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

I imagine it has to do with the regulations around Baby formula being just a tad more complex than hand sanitizer :)
    If a brewery could change from making beer to sanitizer I don't see why any food manufacturing plant can't make formula, I just don't.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

After what happened with the dog food from China I could see why we wouldn't import any.
  • Options
    Gift article about the abbott shut down and formula generally...

https://wapo.st/3l9Lju6

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,133
    nicknyr15 said:

If a brewery could change from making beer to sanitizer I don't see why any food manufacturing plant can't make formula, I just don't.
    It’s really a lot more complex than you are making it out to be. Breweries already have equipment to handle alcohol. Both from a clean and sanitization standpoint and a process safety standpoint. Plus they have all the lab/tech for qa testing. 

You just can go ahead and make anything in the same making system. Lots of variables 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,272
    nicknyr15 said:

I don't believe that happened overnight. I remember hand sanitizer shortages for quite a while before things like that started to have an impact.
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

It’s really a lot more complex than you are making it out to be. Breweries already have equipment to handle alcohol. Both from a clean and sanitization standpoint and a process safety standpoint. Plus they have all the lab/tech for qa testing. 

You just can go ahead and make anything in the same making system. Lots of variables 
    I've seen factories and their abilities to change and produce other products.  I know it's not the snap of a finger but I find it hard to believe that it can't be done is what I am getting at.  Some food processing plant should have the ability to change and make baby formula.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I don't believe that happened overnight. I remember hand sanitizer shortages for quite a while before things like that started to have an impact.
    No it didn't but the other thing I am getting at is ingenuity and ability.  There has to be a food processing plant that can switch over to making baby formula.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Zod said:
    nicknyr15 said:

No it didn't but the other thing I am getting at is ingenuity and ability.  There has to be a food processing plant that can switch over to making baby formula.

the other companies are filling the gap. but it takes time. the start of this was at the same time,  recall is issued and the plant shut down. stop production and take away existing stock.

of course the ability is there. what isnt in place it would appear is the processes and protocols surrounding a highly regulated product. the only source of food for the users. some with no choice in using formula or breast milk.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Zod said:
    nicknyr15 said:

the other companies are filling the gap. but it takes time. the start of this was at the same time,  recall is issued and the plant shut down. stop production and take away existing stock.

of course the ability is there. what isnt in place it would appear is the processes and protocols surrounding a highly regulated product. the only source of food for the users. some with no choice in using formula or breast milk.
    I read the article you posted and there are only 4 companies that make this stuff?!?  Any hiccup in production and this happens.  That is just crazy.

Also in the article the FDA is going to let in imported formula so that should help too.

Not in the article is the mention of any other company wanting to make baby formula as It says it's a pain in the ass to do so I guess that is why no other companies want to take this on?

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Meanwhile all my Zinsser Primers are up 50%
    A gallon on rust oleum is costing my store 49-$56 depending on color. 

I have no idea how anyone can afford anything right now.