Options

so what is the deal with Josh Klinghoffer?

Comments

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,596
    edited September 2021
    As great as the Earthlings were, the thirty years of chemistry was evident with Pearl Jam this weekend. They were hungry to play those songs together again, and for the first time. It’s remarkable how far they have stretched their sound since “grunge”.
    Post edited by PJammer4life on
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    curleybarneycurleybarney USA Posts: 157
    As great as the Earthlings were, the thirty years of chemistry was evident with Pearl Jam this weekend. They were hungry to play those songs together again, and for the first time. It’s remarkable how far they have stretched their sound since “grunge”.
    ^
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • Options
    They don’t need this Josh kid, in my opinion. For f*ck’s sake you got Stone Gossard and Mike McCready. Ed likes having this boy around. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    They don’t need this Josh kid, in my opinion. For f*ck’s sake you got Stone Gossard and Mike McCready. Ed likes having this boy around. 
    You’re aware he’s not just playing guitar right? Most bands have an extra guy on stage with them nowadays. A multi instrumentalist to fill out the space that they created in the studio. I don’t understand this point of view honestly. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    nicknyr15 said:
    You’re aware he’s not just playing guitar right? Most bands have an extra guy on stage with them nowadays. A multi instrumentalist to fill out the space that they created in the studio. I don’t understand this point of view honestly. 
    bingo
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    nicknyr15 said:
    bingo
    Yahtzee 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    nicknyr15 said:
    bingo
    Yahtzee 

You sunk their battleship.
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,472
    This is a weird comment.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    *listened to Gigafon twice
  • Options
    nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,432
    this guys is incredible in my opinion. I must've seen him playing 15 different instruments - and you can tell humble. seems like a great addition. 
  • Options
    He's just an all-round musician with solid chops on multiple instruments (check his latest Pluralone record for some examples). If you could get him into your band, it would be silly not to.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,195
    I’m all for it

Both PJ shows were great so far
  • Options
    His voice is insane. Great to see him so happy with Chad too. They seem like good mates-I saw Alice In Chains in Auckland in 2019 and Chad and Josh came on to play Dam That River and Them Bones (Chilis were playing Auckland as well obviously). Love that the band asked him to help out. Though you could definitely say it's paying it back to the Chilis as one of them was quite possibly responsible for their entire existence.

The Gigaton stuff does seem like it's bursting with layers at times and maybe Boom can't cover it all. I think of Retrograde and the keys dancing on the top of the end of the chorus lines and at the end-already a lot going on before that.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    This thread is still going? LOL

He was awesome with them last weekend and it just adds another layer. I truly do not understand why people have such an issue with him being on stage. If I were a betting man, I'd say get used to it....I imagine he'll join them for the rescheduled dates as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    https://open.spotify.com/track/67nD6Cd1IZwnj9TsDLly6o?si=d116252b91084fac

Check out 'Omission'. John and Josh making some magic here. 
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    I don't know that it's necessarily trolling....some people are just really ingrained in how they view the things they love that they don't want them to change or evolve. kinda like still not being over Dave A not being in the band. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I don't know that it's necessarily trolling....some people are just really ingrained in how they view the things they love that they don't want them to change or evolve. kinda like still not being over Dave A not being in the band. 
    You know, you're right. Making room for all opinions!! Edited and apologies to Mr. McDevitt (who, was my high school American History teacher by the way). 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643

That right there is the tune that made me aware of (and a fan of) Josh back in the day!!  
  • Options
    To be fair, just ~10% of this thread is negative towards Josh. The other 90% is from people who like this move.
  • Options
    Anytime Josh is there behind the amps the song is going to sound even better…. guaranteed.  
  • Options
    To be fair, just ~10% of this thread is negative towards Josh. The other 90% is from people who like this move.
    Slow news day on The Porch. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

Yeah that songs great. Loved John and Josh together, it’s too bad they no longer speak with each other.  Ataxia is another one of their projects worth checking out if you haven’t already. Josh is on drums and they play with Joe Lally, bassist of Fugazi whose also incredible.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/JYr3M6tfEI4 

Skip to 31:00 
    Josh exploding on drums to end that song.
  • Options
    From GuitarWorld:

how long do you plan to tour with Pearl Jam?

“I have a slightly unrealistic/pompous bet with myself that I would be able to put out a record every year. So, I’m in year three of Pluralone’s existence, and I’m dangerously close to losing that bet and not having a record out this year. But the clock isn’t up yet. I’m trying to make as much music as possible under my own little solo moniker. And then whatever Pearl Jam has on the calendar. 

“For the foreseeable future I’ll be with them, since it’s still in support of the Gigaton album. I’m by no means a member of Pearl Jam, but I’m definitely committed to touring this next cycle. They’ve been so welcoming, and they’re totally conscious and supportive of my music and my solo work.

https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/features/josh-klinghoffer-pluralone
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,456
    From GuitarWorld:

“I have a slightly unrealistic/pompous bet with myself that I would be able to put out a record every year. So, I’m in year three of Pluralone’s existence, and I’m dangerously close to losing that bet and not having a record out this year. But the clock isn’t up yet. I’m trying to make as much music as possible under my own little solo moniker. And then whatever Pearl Jam has on the calendar. 

“For the foreseeable future I’ll be with them, since it’s still in support of the Gigaton album. I’m by no means a member of Pearl Jam, but I’m definitely committed to touring this next cycle. They’ve been so welcoming, and they’re totally conscious and supportive of my music and my solo work.

Awesome.  Looking forward to it!  Thanks for posting it too!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,828
    edited November 2021
    on2legs said:
    From GuitarWorld:

Awesome.  Looking forward to it!  Thanks for posting it too!
    Same here. At first I was cool to the news but after seeing the Encore shows I am really interesting in seeing him in the mix in an arena setting with it being open in the back of the stage and not in the shadows. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    From GuitarWorld:

Awesome!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,945
    mfc2006 said:
    From GuitarWorld:

Awesome!

Indeed!
  • Options
    This is good news!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    He even mentions the Xmas singles in this one.

https://consequence.net/2021/11/josh-klinghoffer-interview-pearl-jam/