Options

so what is the deal with Josh Klinghoffer?

Comments

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,598
    Josh is the Pat Smear of the band.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    Or that other guitarist at Green Day shows 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 1,005
    Hope not when they added him they for some reason then got a keyboard player. Boom is enough in the band & definitely don't like it when plays on the older songs that there are no keyboards on
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    BALLBOY said:
    Hope not when they added him they for some reason then got a keyboard player. Boom is enough in the band & definitely don't like it when plays on the older songs that there are no keyboards on
    Wasn't he already in the band in the beginning. He was in their first music video 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    edited September 2021
    Not sure how I feel, don’t think they really need 4 guitarists. Or a piano if they have Boom. Do they really need him for just the Gigaton songs?
    Wonder how long this has been planned, he did that quarantine video with PJ a year and half ago. And was on Ed’s new solo album.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    We can share our boyfriends with others and things will still work out.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,977
    edited September 2021
    All things considered…I don’t think it matters how we feel about Josh touring with the band, the band obviously feel they need him there for the parts he’ll play. Good luck to him for this small tour and into the future. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    I also have a suspicion that Eds gonna form a solo album touring band around him.

This would make sense as he played with Ed already at the Vax Live event…

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,256
    Great news. I love Josh, super talented guy.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    I bet he's not just for guitars....I think he's jack of all trades type of thing; percussion, backing vocals, maybe some lead vocals when ed needs a break, and Ed's third guitar parts if he just wants to sing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    edited September 2021
    I bet he's not just for guitars....I think he's jack of all trades type of thing; percussion, backing vocals, maybe some lead vocals when ed needs a break, and Ed's third guitar parts if he just wants to sing. 
    You can see in the clips him having drums set up, and I think a keyboard behind him and him obviously singing etc.

I think it is extremely far fetched to believe they would let him do lead vocals.. come on now people.

How would that work? Unless it's a "Matt singing Black Diamond" kind of thing... "wouldn't it be fun if we did ABBA:s SOS and have the new kid sing the parts Pierce Brosnan PERFECTED in the Mama Mia! movie?"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    You can see in the clips him having drums set up, and I think a keyboard behind him and him obviously singing etc.

I think it is extremely far fetched to believe they would let him do lead vocals.. come on now people.

How would that work? Unless it's a "Matt singing Black Diamond" kind of thing... "wouldn't it be fun if we did ABBA:s SOS and have the new kid sing the parts Pierce Brosnan PERFECTED in the Mama Mia! movie?"
    when I said "lead vocals" I mean he is background, but singing the same as Ed, in case Ed needs a short breather to fill in the gaps. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I have no problem with this whatsoever. He's a fantastic musician & it will add to the songs.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

when I said "lead vocals" I mean he is background, but singing the same as Ed, in case Ed needs a short breather to fill in the gaps. 
    I can’t fathom someone needing to fill in gaps in case he needs a breather….like a hip-hop hype man. Eddie sounded great on Saturday. And if by chance there are songs that Ed can’t sing anymore, they just shouldn’t be played anymore. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

I can’t fathom someone needing to fill in gaps in case he needs a breather….like a hip-hop hype man. Eddie sounded great on Saturday. And if by chance there are songs that Ed can’t sing anymore, they just shouldn’t be played anymore. 
    haha no that would be awful. I just mean they both sing the same lead part and if ed steps away from the mic then there isn't dead air. 

he did sound great on saturday. it's not about if he can't sing a particular song anymore, it depends on where the song is in the set. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 495
    igotid88 said:
    BALLBOY said:
    Wasn't he already in the band in the beginning. He was in their first music video 
    in the beginning? umm boom 'joined' on the 2003 tour. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BALLBOY said:
    think he's talking about Pat Smear. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Pat was in the foos from the beginning, then he quit, then Dave convinced him to come back. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    The therapist in me is having a field day with this comment. 

ron burgundy anchor man GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 495
    igotid88 said:
    BALLBOY said:
    either way it's still a no haha. Pat joined nirvana in 1993.
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    Pat was in the foos from the beginning, then he quit, then Dave convinced him to come back. 
    igotid88 said:
    BALLBOY said:
    either way it's still a no haha. Pat joined nirvana in 1993.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    biz999biz999 Posts: 172
    edited September 2021
    I remember this from a couple years ago, so I'm down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlle_7WRjRo

Chad Smith watching his guitarist rock out with PJ just adds to it.

Post edited by biz999 on
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,207

And if by chance there are songs that Ed can’t sing anymore, they just shouldn’t be played anymore. 
    RIP Blood and Habit. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    PJ probably felt sorry for Josh because of the way the Peppers canned him to bring John back right when they were starting work on a new album. I personally thought it was weird the Peppers felt the need to can Josh, a lot of their songs (especially more recent vintage) would benefit greatly live with multiple guitars, obviously that's why they had him onstage with them in the past...whatever, Josh will make some money at least and if it benefits PJ onstage, why not? Especially if, as some speculate, it helps keep some of the tempos down!

Very curious for Ed's new album, in and of itself of course but also to hear Josh's contributions. I don't really like the new single, it's a bit too poppy for my tastes but still intriguing and hopefully there will be 10 or 12 other songs that will undoubtedly have some gems, hopefully most!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,997

I thought he sounded great as well. However, I noticed that he seemed to be more out of breath earlier in the set than I would have thought. I guess it will take a while to get used to playing in front of a live crowd again and the singing style that requires.
  • Options
    PixeltenderPixeltender nyc Posts: 73
    klinghoffer is such an awesome guitar player and all around musician-- i'm glad he's hanging out w pjam, and was stoked to see him on stage!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited September 2021
    Kind of weird with Josh having been the guitarist of RHCP but is now standing behind the amps in shadows of a Pearl Jam concert, playing guitar in his own shielded world not to be noticed. Hehe.
    I saw him with RHCP a handful of times.  He and his body language always struck me as looking a bit uncomfortable up front in front of a crowd.  Strange to say about someone at the height of this profession.  

He is great though.  Nice waiver wire claim.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BALLBOY said:
    Pat Smear 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    edited September 2021

:) The therapist in me was reading the responses thinking that some are upset about the family system being altered.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151

:) The therapist in me was reading the responses thinking that some are upset about the family system being altered.
    Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office
    www.cluthelee.com