Options

so what is the deal with Josh Klinghoffer?

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,935
    I'm all for it if it makes things easier for Ed and helps them tour more than 20 shows a year.     
    This

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Did josh play on every song? Also does anyone have any good examples of what he added? I know it’s early for that just curious. I don’t know how I feel about this. Ed definitely needs help on the vocals so that is a bonus. Just not entirely sure we needed a 4th guitar. Someone said earlier it was a Melissa Reese in Guns N’ Roses thing. That makes sense. She adds a lot to axls vocal live. Whether by playing a prerecorded part or by singing herself.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    I'm pretty sure josh played ed's guitar part on never destination.  Otherwise you wouldn't really know he was there.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    Did josh play on every song? Also does anyone have any good examples of what he added? I know it’s early for that just curious. I don’t know how I feel about this. Ed definitely needs help on the vocals so that is a bonus. Just not entirely sure we needed a 4th guitar. Someone said earlier it was a Melissa Reese in Guns N’ Roses thing. That makes sense. She adds a lot to axls vocal live. Whether by playing a prerecorded part or by singing herself.

I saw him in some of the videos playing during Gigaton songs. The songs from that have a lot of layered guitars so it makes sense. He also adds vocals on some of the higher parts, which also makes sense because sometimes Jeff and Matt can be pretty flat. It also looks like Josh has a couple toms in front of him, but I'm not sure when he would've played those.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    edited September 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm pretty sure josh played ed's guitar part on never destination.  Otherwise you wouldn't really know he was there.  
    I heard added percussion and backing vocals throughout the set 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,194
    I'm all for it if it makes things easier for Ed and helps them tour more than 20 shows a year.     
    Yeah I think that’s just the reality of where we are. When they do too many shows he starts cracking or has to cancel like London. And encourages lots of crowd singing. Obviously not his fault so if backing is what he needs let’s do it.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I heard added percussion and backing vocals throughout the set 
    This is great! Make Who You Are a set list staple this tour. With the added percussion it could sound even better.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    His backing vocals are probably most evident on Take the long way outro last night. 
  • Options
    Yeah I think that’s just the reality of where we are. When they do too many shows he starts cracking or has to cancel like London. And encourages lots of crowd singing. Obviously not his fault so if backing is what he needs let’s do it.
    Pearl Jam has cancelled exactly one (1) show because of Eddies voice, and that was that one time in London. It wasn't because of "too many" shows. 

I still believe this is a one off thing because Josh will open up for them anyways. People in here talking like it is a permanent change because of Eddies voice -- I see it as much of a permanent change as having that junk-bird for a tour, or that string section in 2009, that lamp Eddie swung on during Porch or doing "an evening with shows" with no opener. They are just changing it up. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    Consequence reported Josh is "Pearl Jam's new touring guitarist". 
    Josh confirms. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I never saw him onstage once. Where was he? I was right of the stage but pretty close where I had a great view…but couldn’t see behind Stone. Is that where he was?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I never saw him onstage once. Where was he? I was right of the stage but pretty close where I had a great view…but couldn’t see behind Stone. Is that where he was?
    He was behind Jeff. On Matts right.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I can't recall if he was to Matt's right or left, but he was definitely difficult to see. he was kind of behind the scenes in the dark.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Josh confirms. 
    I still think this covers one tour.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam has cancelled exactly one (1) show because of Eddies voice, and that was that one time in London. It wasn't because of "too many" shows. 

I still believe this is a one off thing because Josh will open up for them anyways. People in here talking like it is a permanent change because of Eddies voice -- I see it as much of a permanent change as having that junk-bird for a tour, or that string section in 2009, that lamp Eddie swung on during Porch or doing "an evening with shows" with no opener. They are just changing it up. 
    I honestly think a big tour schedule is hard on his voice but we can disagree. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Josh confirms. 
    I still think this covers one tour.
    could be. by "one off" I thought you meant the one show. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I can't recall if he was to Matt's right or left, but he was definitely difficult to see. he was kind of behind the scenes in the dark.  
    watching that clip posted on page 1, I saw Mike point to Matt's right when Ed introduced him. So that's probably why you couldn't see him if you were Stone side. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,914
    nicknyr15 said:
    His backing vocals are probably most evident on Take the long way outro last night. 
    That makes sense.  I have no issues with this.  Ed might have a tough time singing/playing on the new stuff.  Who knows.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Everyone should be happy that Pearl Jam is playing live shows!
  • Options
    Everyone should be happy that Pearl Jam is playing live shows!
    you new around here?  :wink:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

• Options

Here was my view. Both him and Boom were out of sight. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Yeah weird he didn’t mention Boom?
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,350
    Love it.  Let him out on stage! If he wants to
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    I think what’s most strange is him agreeing to do it since he has his own band. So I think it might be temporary as long as he is opening
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,828
    Love it.  Let him out on stage! If he wants to

Arena shows there will be no hiding him really with the back opened up. 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    Extra percussion on DOTC. At least there is on the studio version. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 778
    Welcome to the tour Josh!  I have a challenge for you…learn Brendan’s part on Gremmie and let’s debut that song for Ohana Encore.  I look forward to hearing you then regardless if Gremmie makes the actual set list. 
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 587
    I think what’s most strange is him agreeing to do it since he has his own band. So I think it might be temporary as long as he is opening
    I bet the pay is fantastic, not to mention the experience, so I think it would be an easy 'sure, I'll do it'. I agree that this is probably the situation as long as he's the opener.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,436
    I don't think Josh is going to write songs on future albums. I can't be certain but I don't think touring musicians write on bands albums. Unless they're one of those people who writes songs for many artists. Pearl Jam doesn't need help. Boom writing on LBC was a one time thing.  And I don't think Eddie was specifically writing for a new Pearl Jam album at the time.
    I miss igotid88