Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,617
    Zod said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I had my two Phizers in April and May. Is it possible (or problematic??) to go for Moderna next time. It seems after all this time that Moderna may be the most effective.
    I'm wondering that too.

I haven't read much about this up here in Canada but I believe the Pfizer vaccine was the one most readily available during the vaccine rollout (there was some moderna, but it didn't start arriving in spades until towards the end of the vaccination campaign).

My 2nd shot was in July, so next month I'll be at 4 months and I'm middle aged, which means there's alot o people who got their shot before me.    The vaccine clinics here have been scaling down, and there doesn't seem to be much talk that this is an issue which could start ramping up in the next few months as the people who got their shots earlier start to have their immunity wane?

By the time I got my second dose, Pfizer and Moderna were being used interchangeably - many who got one for their first shot got the other for their second. That leads me to assume that it would be the same with the booster. But we shall see!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837
    my wife unexpectedly got her booster (3rd shot; AZ, Pfizer, Pfizer) today at her annual physical. our doc says I can make my appointment any time. I think I shall. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,179
    * touted as a treatment by morons like joe rogan. not legitimate medical experts.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Colorado woman who won't get vaccinated denied transplant

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/colorado-woman-who-won-t-get-vaccinated-denied-transplant-1.5616152?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3A%7B%7Bcampaignname%7D%7D%3Atwitterpost%E2%80%8B&taid=6160364a90c5510001baa709&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

* touted as a treatment by morons like joe rogan. not legitimate medical experts.
    I don’t understand the vaccine hesitant folks..I just don’t.  

Getting a shot once a year or so to keep me out of the hospital just makes sense.

wish I could take a shot 1 year for my diabetes.  Because I suspect some vaccine hesitant folks who contracted Covid and survived might find themselves taking medicine daily if Covid left some some affects…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

The story about the woman being denied a transplant isn't newsworthy.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Is someone making you read it?  Are you being forced?  Didn’t think so…

you should try the ignore feature…

And I didn’t realize you were a moderator who determines what’s news worthy.  Maybe you should put “moderator” in your profile.  LMFAO.  

:s   :s   :s

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516

My comment was in reference to the AP reporting it in the first place, don't be so sensitive. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,837

And I didn’t realize you were a moderator who determines what’s news worthy.  Maybe you should put “moderator” in your profile.  LMFAO.  

:s   :s   :s

good lord. take a valium or something. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited October 2021

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/colorado-woman-who-won-t-get-vaccinated-denied-transplant-1.5616152?cid=sm%3Atrueanthem%3A%7B%7Bcampaignname%7D%7D%3Atwitterpost%E2%80%8B&taid=6160364a90c5510001baa709&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Getting a shot once a year or so to keep me out of the hospital just makes sense.

wish I could take a shot 1 year for my diabetes.  Because I suspect some vaccine hesitant folks who contracted Covid and survived might find themselves taking medicine daily if Covid left some some affects…
    I think that is incredibly stupid. Assuming its the same story I heard on the news last night, I didn't read this article. But it was a friend who is donating the organ. So its not like someone else is getting it instead. So to punish her for not getting a vaccine they are putting her life at risk, while not benefitting someone else with the organ instead.
    I don't know why someone at risk would refuse the vaccine. But It seems even dumber to take her life saving opportunity away, especially when it benefits no one. Instead of allowing her to have the transplant with like a 90% success rate, no one gets the kidney now. Its like that kid who starts to lose a game so he takes his ball so no one can play.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mace1229 said:

I think that is incredibly stupid. Assuming its the same story I heard on the news last night, I didn't read this article. But it was a friend who is donating the organ. So its not like someone else is getting it instead. So to punish her for not getting a vaccine they are putting her life at risk, while not benefitting someone else with the organ instead.
    I don't know why someone at risk would refuse the vaccine. But It seems even dumber to take her life saving opportunity away, especially when it benefits no one. 
    For any transplant, part of the medical team's consideration is whether the recipient will have their life prolonged by undertaking/undergoing such a risky procedure. If the recipient has willfully chosen not to inoculate themselves against a deadly global pandemic, I think it's safe to assume that the risk factor is a lot higher that they will not have their life prolonged by undertaking/undergoing such a risky procedure.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    mace1229 said:

I don't know why someone at risk would refuse the vaccine. But It seems even dumber to take her life saving opportunity away, especially when it benefits no one. Instead of allowing her to have the transplant with like a 90% success rate, no one gets the kidney now. Its like that kid who starts to lose a game so he takes his ball so no one can play.
    Two things:

1. Why do you think the organ isn't going to another person?  I didn't see anything in the article that said the kidney would be disposed or that the donor was a singular family member.  

2. Her reasoning is idiotic, I'm sorry.  There are no faiths that have denounced these vaccines and the Church itself sanctioned it.  Her 'belief' and her claim to be non-denominational tells me that her faith is informed by conspiracy theories and facebook memes, not actual religion.  
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Two things:

1. Why do you think the organ isn't going to another person?  I didn't see anything in the article that said the kidney would be disposed or that the donor was a singular family member.  

2. Her reasoning is idiotic, I'm sorry.  There are no faiths that have denounced these vaccines and the Church itself sanctioned it.  Her 'belief' and her claim to be non-denominational tells me that her faith is informed by conspiracy theories and facebook memes, not actual religion.  
    Aren't these things considered religion yet?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Two things:

Aren't these things considered religion yet?
    Haha, touche.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited October 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Two things:

I mentioned I heard the story on the news last night. There I believe they said it was a close friend or relative donating the kidney, not one she is receiving from a list. So by not giving it to her, no one is getting it. Which is the main reason I think its dumb.

I understand the policy in general. I'd get it if she was on a list getting it from an organ donor. But for one, its not a huge increase in risk, it goes from 20 to 30%% chance for an unvaccinated transplant patient. Not an overwhelming difference. So to me it looks like because she is at a slightly elevated risk of dying, they are going to refuse the transplant and guarantee her death. And at no benefit to anyone else, because like I said the story I saw mentioned it was a friend donating a kidney, so either she gets it or no one does. The hospital is still getting paid I assume. The friend is donating the kidney. What advantage is there to refuse the surgery? What disadvantage is there to actually do it? I see none. Just reminds me of a kid losing the game at the playground, so he picks up his ball and leaves so no one can play.

I think she should get vaxed, I think its dumb for her not to. I just don't see the point in letting her die while not giving the organ to anyone else. 

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    edited October 2021
    nvm

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    got my pfizer booster today.  i had no adverse reactions to the first two shots, an 8 hours later nothing again.   
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,646
    My latest paper explores neoliberalism vaccine inequity and global civil citizen education by learning glocally.

I'm not sure how Canadian policy changed this last week, but I'm not on board with healthy younger people taking boosters when there is greater need elsewhere.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    tish said:
    My latest paper explores neoliberalism vaccine inequity and global civil citizen education by learning glocally.

I'm not sure how Canadian policy changed this last week, but I'm not on board with healthy younger people taking boosters when there is greater need elsewhere.

are you aware of any reporting showing readiness in many of these places?
    storage requirements depending on type/manufacturer, transportation, physical infrastructure. supplies like alcohol swabs, syringes, sharps containers etc.

solid educational info to prep a given populace

and finally manufacturer production capacities on scale?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    A hospital in Toronto updated their policy that includes no vaccine no organ transplant..

I have heard nothing here in Ontario about boosters…no surprise.  It’d be nice to know?  My 87 year old dad is nearing the 6 month mark since his second shot…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    lindamarie73lindamarie73 Posts: 345
    edited October 2021

Post edited by lindamarie73 on
  • Options
    Dammit!  I'm sure this was a good one too!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    mace1229 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Two things:

I mentioned I heard the story on the news last night. There I believe they said it was a close friend or relative donating the kidney, not one she is receiving from a list. So by not giving it to her, no one is getting it. Which is the main reason I think its dumb.

I understand the policy in general. I'd get it if she was on a list getting it from an organ donor. But for one, its not a huge increase in risk, it goes from 20 to 30%% chance for an unvaccinated transplant patient. Not an overwhelming difference. So to me it looks like because she is at a slightly elevated risk of dying, they are going to refuse the transplant and guarantee her death. And at no benefit to anyone else, because like I said the story I saw mentioned it was a friend donating a kidney, so either she gets it or no one does. The hospital is still getting paid I assume. The friend is donating the kidney. What advantage is there to refuse the surgery? What disadvantage is there to actually do it? I see none. Just reminds me of a kid losing the game at the playground, so he picks up his ball and leaves so no one can play.

I think she should get vaxed, I think its dumb for her not to. I just don't see the point in letting her die while not giving the organ to anyone else. 

Sounds like her call....get vaxxed then get the organ
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    Dammit!  I'm sure this was a good one too!
    I know I was really looking forward to it as well! I was sincerely expecting some new information to change my general opinion on things.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Honestly,  that's frigging genius.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Question is, would a guy even DO such a pariah? Or woman…
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    You know the answer to that
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    hedonist said:
    Does she have a pulse?
    This weekend we rock Portland
This discussion has been closed.