Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,790
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    All along they say "follow the science".  Now the CDC director overrules her own advisers so the policy aligns with what the Biden administration had already taken a hard stance on.  Interesting.  And no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer.  Got vaxxed as soon as I was able to.  The hypocrisy that exists on both sides is just disgusting.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/world/covid-boosters-vaccine-cdc-director.html
    Saying both sides is not allowed here. 
    LOL.  I know....that's why I rarely even venture to this section of the forum.  It's like being on Twitter!
    Worse 
    I’m not sure you’ve spent much time on Twitter 
    You’re probably right 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    All along they say "follow the science".  Now the CDC director overrules her own advisers so the policy aligns with what the Biden administration had already taken a hard stance on.  Interesting.  And no, I'm not an anti-vaxxer.  Got vaxxed as soon as I was able to.  The hypocrisy that exists on both sides is just disgusting.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/world/covid-boosters-vaccine-cdc-director.html
    Saying both sides is not allowed here. 
    LOL.  I know....that's why I rarely even venture to this section of the forum.  It's like being on Twitter!
    Worse 
    I’m not sure you’ve spent much time on Twitter 
    I was just going to say the same thing. I've quit twitter more than I've quit these forums. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802

read most of it, didn't see where it was said just who the advisors are, what expertise they possessed and why they recommended against.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    This morning, I heard my wife groan mildly and I turned to see what was wrong and she was looking at her iPhone and slowly shaking her head.  She told me that the mother of a young woman we are somewhat close to was just diagnosed with COVID.  I asked if this elderly woman was anti-mask and she said, no but she is religious and is anti-vacc.  She then told me that this elderly woman's daughter rode unprotected with her in a car, even though she knew her mother had COVID, and now the daughter also has COVID.  This led me right away to asking,
    -What the hell does religion have to do with getting a vaccination or (in the daughter's case) wearing a mask (no, the are not Christian Scientists, just fundamentalists)?
    -And why the hell would someone get in a car with someone they know has COVID, and not be protected???
    The worst of it is, someone else who is very close to us, who has done all the right things with vaccination and masks, and who is related to these two women who now have COVID, now has to get tested and make sure she is OK  (I'm fairly sure she is but...).  I'm not sure if the last time she was around them she know they were infected and not, they should have told her!  What the hell is wrong with these people???

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Initial experimental results suggest that Merck’s new oral antiviral reduces serious covid outcomes like hospitalization and death by 50%. In fact, the trial was halted early by the monitors due to the wide difference between active drug and placebo. 

The drug is  named molnupiravir and is somewhat similar to remesdevir but is administered orally. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Initial experimental results suggest that Merck’s new oral antiviral reduces serious covid outcomes like hospitalization and death by 50%. In fact, the trial was halted early by the monitors due to the wide difference between active drug and placebo. 

The drug is  named molnupiravir and is somewhat similar to remesdevir but is administered orally. 

I read about this earlier and wondered why the trial would be stopped because of this? and do you think this will have any negative effect on vaccine uptake? I think it will. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632

I read on facebook that it's just a mix of invectrum, HCQ, Vit D and bleach.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

and trump vodka. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

and trump vodka. 
    #Truth
  • Options

I read about this earlier and wondered why the trial would be stopped because of this? and do you think this will have any negative effect on vaccine uptake? I think it will. 

This is a common feature of clinical trials, designed to protect those in the placebo arm. It's built into the study design. If there is enough of a separation between active and placebo, to the detriment of the placebo arm, then the trial is halted early. It's unethical to continue a trial where you know that those in the placebo arm are suffering preventable harm.

As for the effect on vaccination rates, I'm not sure but it's possible. I'm thinking that the subset of people who are adamant that they won't get vaccinated with "experimental" vaccines also won't trust this new drug but those decisions aren't made on logic. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

and trump vodka. 

Which explains the side effects of nausea and headache
  • Options

This is a common feature of clinical trials, designed to protect those in the placebo arm. It's built into the study design. If there is enough of a separation between active and placebo, to the detriment of the placebo arm, then the trial is halted early. It's unethical to continue a trial where you know that those in the placebo arm are suffering preventable harm.

As for the effect on vaccination rates, I'm not sure but it's possible. I'm thinking that the subset of people who are adamant that they won't get vaccinated with "experimental" vaccines also won't trust this new drug but those decisions aren't made on logic. 
    yeah, that's what I mean. if anti-vaxxers were consistent, that would be correct. but these are the people who smoke cigarettes and drop 35 advil for their moonshine headache. 

but also, if it's a choice of constant boosters or just take a pill IF you get sick, I think a lot of those that were on the fence about the vaccine but eventually took it because of fear or restrictions, will just opt out and take the pill. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    My cynical gut reaction to this pill was "oh good, another thing for people to rage against."  And that might be right. My cursory skimming tells me that the pill is effective soon after diagnosis and NOT after shit starts to hit the fan.

Based on the irrationale for vaccine hesitancy (unproven, new, not 100% effective, I'm not a sheep, I'm young and healthy, 99% survival rate, risking health/life out of spite), consistency would lead many of the same people to not take this pill. That said, a covid diagnosis might make it seem a bit more real and maybe many would decide that the smart move is to take it.

I hope this thing pans out but I admit the likely reduction in vaccinations is concerning. I'd rather avoid covid than get it and cure it.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    There was a healthy 44 year old that passed away from COVID about 2 weeks ago that I was friends with. I just spoke with someone that knew him and his family really well. The whole family, Mom, Dad & Sisters(and their families) got COVID. Laugh at it if you want to, but the whole family took Ivermectin and recovered. He was the only one that didn't take it and he passed away. He got submitted to the hospital and was given Remdesivir and his kidneys shut down just a couple days later.

It's strange how COVID attacks some so badly and then other don't feel a thing. I'm not saying that Ivermectin is a miracle drug or that it even helps with COVID. I am not a doctor so I don't have a clue. What I do know is that his family all recovered. His parents are in their 70s and his sisters are in their 30s.

None of them were vaccinated. Had he been vaccinated, I'm pretty sure he would have survived. I didn't trust doctors before COVID and I don't trust them now. We can all read stories all day long about other people but I know this is how it went down for this family.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JB16057 said:
    There was a healthy 44 year old that passed away from COVID about 2 weeks ago that I was friends with. I just spoke with someone that knew him and his family really well. The whole family, Mom, Dad & Sisters(and their families) got COVID. Laugh at it if you want to, but the whole family took Ivermectin and recovered. He was the only one that didn't take it and he passed away. He got submitted to the hospital and was given Remdesivir and his kidneys shut down just a couple days later.

It's strange how COVID attacks some so badly and then other don't feel a thing. I'm not saying that Ivermectin is a miracle drug or that it even helps with COVID. I am not a doctor so I don't have a clue. What I do know is that his family all recovered. His parents are in their 70s and his sisters are in their 30s.

None of them were vaccinated. Had he been vaccinated, I'm pretty sure he would have survived. I didn't trust doctors before COVID and I don't trust them now. We can all read stories all day long about other people but I know this is how it went down for this family.
    Right but this is why you don't make social and medical decisions based on anecdotes. 

And the thing about ivectrum is two fold: first,  it was not clinically tested for COVID so it would irresponsible for the FDA to recommend such a thing.  Second,  people were self medicating and taking animal level doses,  not human. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

Right but this is why you don't make social and medical decisions based on anecdotes. 

And the thing about ivectrum is two fold: first,  it was not clinically tested for COVID so it would irresponsible for the FDA to recommend such a thing.  Second,  people were self medicating and taking animal level doses,  not human. 
    I totally get that but I was just stating a story that I personally know happened. I have heard of some people taking animal level doses but none of this family ended up in the hospital due to COVID or taking too much Ivermectin. Once again, I'm not saying this is why they survived and he didn't.  It was super sad to see this guy pass away because he was a good dude.
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited October 2021
    More and more information coming out linking COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s disease.  The correlations seem to point to specific proteins linked to both Alzheimer’s and severe cases of COVID-19.  From what I gather, it seems like if you are someone susceptible to Alzheimer’s (due to this protein), your chances of getting a severe case of COVID-19 are also higher.  
    Wouldn’t it be great if this science leads to the prevention of both, COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s!  If you have ever known anyone that lived several years with Alzheimer’s, you know how much of a blessing it would be to have a way to prevent it…
    Here is a bit of info, but very technical.  
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7571527/
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    More and more information coming out linking COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s disease.  The correlations seem to point to specific proteins linked to both Alzheimer’s and severe cases of COVID-19.  From what I gather, it seems like if you are someone susceptible to Alzheimer’s (due to this protein), your chances of getting a severe case of COVID-19 are also higher.  
    Wouldn’t it be great if this science leads to the prevention of both, COVID-19 and Alzheimer’s!  If you have ever known anyone that lived several years with Alzheimer’s, you know how much of a blessing it would be to have a way to prevent it…
    Yes, that would definitely be a silver lining.  Doesn't make it 'worth it', but a silver lining. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I totally get that but I was just stating a story that I personally know happened. I have heard of some people taking animal level doses but none of this family ended up in the hospital due to COVID or taking too much Ivermectin. Once again, I'm not saying this is why they survived and he didn't.  It was super sad to see this guy pass away because he was a good dude.
    How did they get the drug?  Was it prescribed or given in human dose?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    JB16057 said:

I’m starting to wonder if those claiming the Ivermectin works had an underlying parasite (worm) issue in their guts to begin with. It would make sense that treating an immune system compromising parasite could help you better handle a virus, right?  Maybe that is the real correlation, ha

https://www.luminexcorp.com/blog/are-parasites-the-cause-of-excessive-tiredness-leaky-gut-syndrome-and-other-mystery-illnesses/

“Inflammation caused by a parasitic infection can send the immune system into overdrive. More than two-thirds of the human immune system is located in the wall of the small intestine. When activated, regulatory proteins such as interleukins, other cytokines and dendritic cells are set in motion. They carry out the inflammatory response throughout the body, affecting the joints, eyes, lungs and giving rise to fatigue.”
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I know it was prescribed and I'm assuming they took a human dose but I don't know. I'm not advocating that this was the reason they survived and he didn't. I just thought it was interesting.

The same family friend that told me about them was talking about someone else who is in the hospital right now and not doing so well. His family was somehow able to get Ivermectin shipped to them from Germany. They are sneaking it into him at the hospital now. Not sure if he is taking the animal dose or not.

I know another person that is taking Ivermectin daily. She is a total Liberal and doesn't want to take the vaccine but for some reason will take Ivermectin daily....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    PJPOWER said:

Yes, and the sooner the better!  :worried:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I know it was prescribed and I'm assuming they took a human dose but I don't know. I'm not advocating that this was the reason they survived and he didn't. I just thought it was interesting.

The same family friend that told me about them was talking about someone else who is in the hospital right now and not doing so well. His family was somehow able to get Ivermectin shipped to them from Germany. They are sneaking it into him at the hospital now. Not sure if he is taking the animal dose or not.

I know another person that is taking Ivermectin daily. She is a total Liberal and doesn't want to take the vaccine but for some reason will take Ivermectin daily....
    Taking ivermectin daily (especially under their own reconnaissance) and sneaking it into the hospital for someone already on who-knows-what doesn’t sound like sane, sound/rational ideas in the least.
    I think some people will try anything once they get to the point that they are really sick in hopes of a miracle, since there is not a ton that can be done at that point.

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    My cynical gut reaction to this pill was "oh good, another thing for people to rage against."  And that might be right. My cursory skimming tells me that the pill is effective soon after diagnosis and NOT after shit starts to hit the fan.

Based on the irrationale for vaccine hesitancy (unproven, new, not 100% effective, I'm not a sheep, I'm young and healthy, 99% survival rate, risking health/life out of spite), consistency would lead many of the same people to not take this pill. That said, a covid diagnosis might make it seem a bit more real and maybe many would decide that the smart move is to take it.

I hope this thing pans out but I admit the likely reduction in vaccinations is concerning. I'd rather avoid covid than get it and cure it.
    this is why I think they will. so many stories of people with covid being admitted to ICU saying "I wish I had taken the vaccine". Now, I assume it would be too late for the pill at that point too. Who knows how the minds of these folks work. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    From WaPo.

She lived a life of adventure that spanned two continents. She fell in love with a World War II fighter pilot, barely escaped Europe ahead of Benito Mussolini’s fascists, ground steel for the U.S. war effort and advocated for her disabled daughter in a far less enlightened time. She was, her daughter said, someone who didn’t make a habit of giving up.

And then this month, at age 105, Primetta Giacopini’s life ended the way it began — in a pandemic.

“I think my mother would have been around quite a bit longer” if she hadn’t contracted COVID, her 61-year-old daughter, Dorene Giacopini, said. “She was a fighter. She had a hard life and her attitude always was … basically, all Americans who were not around for World War II were basically spoiled brats.”

Primetta Giacopini’s mother, Pasquina Fei, died in Connecticut of the flu in 1918 at age 25. That flu pandemic killed about 675,000 Americans — a death toll eclipsed this month by the 2020-21 coronavirus pandemic.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    LOL.  These clowns hopefully don't take it and get forced out.  The more morons are outed the better.

President Biden's vaccine mandate is being challenged in a lawsuit filed by four active-duty US Air Force officers, a Secret Service agent, a Border Patrol agent, and four other federal employees or contractors. The lawsuit claimed that "convicted serial killers who have been sentenced to death receive more respect" than citizens who are required to take vaccines.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    Smellyman said:
    LOL.  These clowns hopefully don't take it and get forced out.  The more morons are outed the better.

President Biden's vaccine mandate is being challenged in a lawsuit filed by four active-duty US Air Force officers, a Secret Service agent, a Border Patrol agent, and four other federal employees or contractors. The lawsuit claimed that "convicted serial killers who have been sentenced to death receive more respect" than citizens who are required to take vaccines.

yrs, it IS so disrespectful to want to keep you and those around you alive. Meanwhile we do plan to kill those folks...

respect.
    air force guys have ZERO recourse. You take whats given or get the fuck out.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Preliminary data on use of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine in kids 5-11 has been submitted to Health Canada for review, with the expectation that the full submission will be completed mid-October. The dose used was one third the adult dose.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pfizer-kids-vaccine-data-1.6197758?cmp=rss
This discussion has been closed.