Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    While I understand the excitement of the new rules and regulations regarding covid vaccinations, I can’t help but feel this is just what the Republicans need for a big win in the mid terms and 2024.  I really think it is a mistake to generalize that all of the anti vaccine people are trump supporters.  A lot of people will flock to the polls to vote for the party that isn’t forcing them to get a shot with zero thought to the rest of their personal politics.  As much as I would like everyone to be vaccinated and for us to get past covid, I just don’t see that the White Houses new policy doing much other than inflaming and dividing an already divided country.   

Further why aren’t we testing people for natural antibodies etc?  I think a lot of people would like for that to be part of the guiding plan going forward.
    All biden will have to do in 2 years is post the death numbers now in 2021 next to the death number in 2023. then we'll see how much support he'll lose. 
    Yes because facts and hard numbers have swayed Americans so well in the past.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    haha fair point
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    static111 said:
    While I understand the excitement of the new rules and regulations regarding covid vaccinations, I can’t help but feel this is just what the Republicans need for a big win in the mid terms and 2024.  I really think it is a mistake to generalize that all of the anti vaccine people are trump supporters.  A lot of people will flock to the polls to vote for the party that isn’t forcing them to get a shot with zero thought to the rest of their personal politics.  As much as I would like everyone to be vaccinated and for us to get past covid, I just don’t see that the White Houses new policy doing much other than inflaming and dividing an already divided country.   

Further why aren’t we testing people for natural antibodies etc?  I think a lot of people would like for that to be part of the guiding plan going forward.

Thing is, these are very, very popular moves. Something like two-thirds of Americans *support* mandates. It's not like these policies  are being forced on a nation that has wholesale refused to get vaccinated; 25% -- which is too many, but far from a majority -- have not gotten vaccinated. So if the GOP wants to run as the party of the 25%, um, okay, I guess?

I'll also take a moment. since I'm just generally out of patience with everything this morning, to say that the so-called libertarian arguments against the vaccine mandates are bs. I've been a proud libertarian -- sometimes upper-case "L," now lower-case -- for nearly forty years. I internalized "your rights end at the tip of my nose" a long time ago. That means that I'm an enthusiastic supporter of bans on smoking in airplanes and restaurants (and right outside the door of anywhere at all). It also means that I 1) made damn sure that I got the vaccine at the first opportunity; 2) made sure that the rest of my family got the vaccine at the first opportunity; 3) took pains not to endanger the elderly and immunocompromised people in my life; 4) think that these anti-vaxxers yelling about their rights are full of shit.

You do not have a constitutional right to be a plague vector!

Running about, proclaiming "As an American, I get to do what I want, where I want, when I want,"(I can't remember where, but I saw a clip of some asshat saying this the other day) doesn't make anyone a libertarian; it just makes them an immature, entitled, misinformed jackass. You do not have the right to endanger others as part of "living my life the way I please!"

That McSweeney's article reflects my inner space today.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

All biden will have to do in 2 years is post the death numbers now in 2021 next to the death number in 2023. then we'll see how much support he'll lose. 

& even if he loses, he's doing what's best for the country right now, regardless of how that might impact his chances at re-election. 

I mean... isn't that what we want in a leader? 
    I also don’t want my leaders to walk off the side of the cliff in order to take the high road.
    I guess I don't interpret what he's doing as "taking the high road" as much as I see him doing what's best for the country at this moment in time. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    While I think that the idea of testing for antibodies is interesting (husband and I, like many people, both wonder if we picked up COVID in January 2020, when we were hit by a particularly nasty cold that left him coughing and short of breath for weeks), I don't know how much it helps as far as containing the spread of the virus is concerned, and that has to be top priority, even though determining the actual extent of the virus's spread would be interesting.

What I've heard is that immunity conferred by contracting COVID is limited, and I've personally heard of people who have had COVID twice (once pre-vaccines, then a later breakthrough case). I  also have the impression that contracting the wild strain doesn't mean much in terms of protection from delta.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:
    Why didn't Biden mandate vaccinations for illegal immigrants wanting to enter the United States? That seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Cry more. 
    Cry more? Aren't we all supposed to be taking COVID more serious than this?

I went back through your recent comments. Here is one: "You should read up on the burden the unvaccinated are putting on our health care system, and more specifically the health care workers on the frontlines."

Do you think the illegal immigrants are immune to COVID and won't put a strain on our health care system?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    JB16057 said:
    Why didn't Biden mandate vaccinations for illegal immigrants wanting to enter the United States? That seems like a no-brainer to me.

kinda old news.... also said those undocumented living here should be given access without fear of deportation....

By Nick Miroff and Maria Sacchetti

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/biden-vaccines-migrants-border/2021/08/03/afaff516-f471-11eb-83e7-06a8a299c310_story.html

By Nick Miroff and Maria Sacchetti
    August 03 at 7:26 PM ET
    The Biden administration is preparing to begin offering coronavirus vaccine to migrants in U.S. custody along the Mexico border, where illegal crossings are at their highest levels in over two decades and health officials are struggling with soaring numbers of infections, according to two Department of Homeland Security officials with knowledge of the plan.
    Until now, only a limited number of migrants have received vaccine while held in longer-term U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention facilities. Under the broad outlines of the new plan, DHS would vaccinate migrants soon after they cross into the United States as they await processing by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
    Vaccine would be provided to those facing deportation as well as migrants likely to be released into the United States pending a court hearing, said one of the two officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the tentative plan. Migrants who are quickly sent back to Mexico under the Title 42 public health law would not be offered a dose, at least during the initial phase, the person said.
    The Biden administration plans to use the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, whose single-dose regimen is better suited to a transient population that may not be able to coordinate a second shot, the DHS officials said.
    In a statement, DHS spokesperson Meira Bernstein said the department will “continue to monitor and reassess” its pandemic protocols, but she insisted that no decisions have been made. “At this time, our protocols have not changed,” she said.

continues.....

Yes he is offering it to them but not mandating it. Shouldn't we all be taking COVID more serious than this? From what I could find, 30% of the illegal immigrants are refusing to take the vaccine. Read through all of these comments and the hypocrisy is all over the place. It's pathetic!

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    Because maybe, just maybe, undocumented immigrants aren't the boogeyman you think they are.

Can illegal immigrants catch and spread COVID? How are unvaccinated illegal immigrants any better than Americans that are unvaccinated? I thought the goal was to get EVERYONE vaccinated. Most people on this board talk about how vaccine mandates aren't a new thing well then why isn't their a mandate for illegal immigrants?
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    Because everyone knows that if President Biden announced it, there’d be a flood of Central and South Americans streaming across the border and taking covid vaccinations away from deserving ‘Muricans, resulting in untold hundreds of thousands of more deaths of true, patriotic ‘Muricans. President Biden doesn’t want that on his conscience and knows it’s political suicide. Plus, Ivermectin is available south of the border so no worries.

Oh, the humanity!
    OK but shouldn't America be sharing vaccines with the world to get everyone vaccinated? Sorry to tell you but there's already a flood of Central and South American's streaming across the border. They are bringing and spreading COVID to America. Mandating vaccines for illegal immigrants would make a difference on the burden our health care system is under now. Our health care system can't take much more and that's why Biden is mandating the vaccine or testing for 2/3 of America's workforce. If someone wants the United States to take care of them and their family, it isn't too much to ask that they be mandated. Otherwise, it will only burden our healthcare system even more.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I don't think anyone is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants.

And I'd guess that making this a reality is likely a strategy of the Biden administration. I'd also guess that there are some legal and ethical hurdles to clear before it's a go. But my guesses are only that.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    static111 said:

I know multiple people that would never vote for Trump that are anti vaccine. A BIG majority of the antivaxers voted for Trump but you are correct that it is a mistake to generalize all of them as Trump supporters because that simply is not true.

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Because everyone knows that if President Biden announced it, there’d be a flood of Central and South Americans streaming across the border and taking covid vaccinations away from deserving ‘Muricans, resulting in untold hundreds of thousands of more deaths of true, patriotic ‘Muricans. President Biden doesn’t want that on his conscience and knows it’s political suicide. Plus, Ivermectin is available south of the border so no worries.

Oh, the humanity!
    OK but shouldn't America be sharing vaccines with the world to get everyone vaccinated? Sorry to tell you but there's already a flood of Central and South American's streaming across the border. They are bringing and spreading COVID to America. Mandating vaccines for illegal immigrants would make a difference on the burden our health care system is under now. Our health care system can't take much more and that's why Biden is mandating the vaccine or testing for 2/3 of America's workforce. If someone wants the United States to take care of them and their family, it isn't too much to ask that they be mandated. Otherwise, it will only burden our healthcare system even more.

try getting chad and karen to take it first. then worry about jesus. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dankind said:
    I don't think anyone is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants.

And I'd guess that making this a reality is likely a strategy of the Biden administration. I'd also guess that there are some legal and ethical hurdles to clear before it's a go. But my guesses are only that.
    If no one is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants then why am I getting all of the push back and now getting mocked over it?
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

If no one is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants then why am I getting all of the push back and now getting mocked over it?
    because it's such a red herring to be so concerned, yet again, of the big bad mexican instead of the idiot living in your own back yard. 

remember the caravan? still waiting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Cry more. 

I went back through your recent comments. Here is one: "You should read up on the burden the unvaccinated are putting on our health care system, and more specifically the health care workers on the frontlines."

Do you think the illegal immigrants are immune to COVID and won't put a strain on our health care system?

I would like to tell you what I really think about your comments, but I enjoy my posting privileges so I'll refrain. 

Keep crying about "illegal immigrants" & making an ass out of yourself though... it's looks good on you. 
    What is wrong with my comments?
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

because it's such a red herring to be so concerned, yet again, of the big bad mexican instead of the idiot living in your own back yard. 

Yup. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    static111 said:

Yeah, but on the other hand, vaccine mandates are nothing new in America and lives are literally at stake.

At some point or another we need to stop catering to and being afraid of the minority of Americans who insist on acting like petulant toddlers. 
    exactly. we are in the majority. i am so fucking sick of hearing about the minority crazy sect of antivaxxers who have the sads because the rest of us are not on their side.

these are people who not get shots no matter what. even if jesus christ himself came down from heaven and begged them to get the shots, or offered to inject them himself, these people will still say no and be babies about it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

Should we be concerned about EVERYONE though? I am concerned about the idiot living in my backyard but I'm concerned about EVERYONE. It isn't right that Biden mandates the vaccines for MILLIONS of American citizens but will allow illegal immigrants into our country and not mandate it for them. I'm not talking solely about Mexicans. I am talking about EVERYONE.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited September 2021
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Cry more. 

I would like to tell you what I really think about your comments, but I enjoy my posting privileges so I'll refrain. 

Keep crying about "illegal immigrants" & making an ass out of yourself though... it's looks good on you. 
    Besides the blatant ignorance & xenophobia? 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Cry more. 

What I am saying is not ignorant or xenophobic.

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Oh, the humanity!

Do you really believe that illegal immigrants are infecting more people than American citizens who refuse to get the vaccine and resist masking efforts? That is absurd.
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Cry more. 

ummm, i am pretty sure there are more stubborn ass unvaccinated white hillbilly americans than migrants. i have not seen the numbers, but i would bet my house on it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Cry more. 

What I am saying is not ignorant or xenophobic.

Vocabulary isn't your thing, I get it. 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Oh, the humanity!

Do you really believe that illegal immigrants are infecting more people than American citizens who refuse to get the vaccine and resist masking efforts? That is absurd.

No I don't and I never said there were more illegal immigrants than American citizens spreading COVID. It would be absurd to say that. That's not the point I am trying to make. The point I am trying to make is if we want everyone to get the vaccine, why wouldn't we mandate it for illegal immigrants that want access to the US?
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

THIS.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Cry more. 

ummm, i am pretty sure there are more stubborn ass unvaccinated white hillbilly americans than migrants. i have not seen the numbers, but i would bet my house on it.

You are absolutely correct. There are millions more unvaccinated Americans than unvaccinated illegal immigrants. This is not the point I am trying to make.

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

Should we be concerned about EVERYONE though? I am concerned about the idiot living in my backyard but I'm concerned about EVERYONE. It isn't right that Biden mandates the vaccines for MILLIONS of American citizens but will allow illegal immigrants into our country and not mandate it for them. I'm not talking solely about Mexicans. I am talking about EVERYONE.
    Fair enough. but I'm not sure how it would work, and then what halifax said is also correct, he'd be torn to shreds by the right for giving "illegals" free american tax payer funded health care. I'm not sure how you navigate that, politically speaking. 

and he's only mandating it for people who work for big companies so they aren't spreading it to each other while at work. he's not mandating vaccination for all citizens. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    Cry more. 

You are absolutely correct. There are millions more unvaccinated Americans than unvaccinated illegal immigrants. This is not the point I am trying to make.

the way i read your posts is you are placing the bulk of the spread on migrants from mexico, and just sheer numbers between those people and the unvaxed americans is mathematically impossible. i say vaccinate everybody. every body. no exceptions. 

• Options
    mfc2006 said:
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

THIS.

Shouldn't we be concerned about every single unvaccinated person? Don't we want every single person on the planet to get vaccinated?

The idiot living in my backyard is having new vaccine mandates put upon them so they are being taken care of. Vaccine mandates are nothing new and it is a small price to pay if you want access to America. That wouldn't solve the COVID issue but it would force more people to be vaccinated which is the end goal.
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Oh, the humanity!

No I don't and I never said there were more illegal immigrants than American citizens spreading COVID. It would be absurd to say that. That's not the point I am trying to make. The point I am trying to make is if we want everyone to get the vaccine, why wouldn't we mandate it for illegal immigrants that want access to the US?
    That might be coming at some point, but at the moment he seems to be addressing the bigger issue of unvaccinated Americans. That would have a bigger impact than the holdout immigrants who aren't vaccinated.
This discussion has been closed.