Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    I don't think JB is being ignorant nor xenophobic, just my take. when you can get past the idea that this isn't trump speaking, it makes sense. 

can we not have a debate without labelling people? I've been piled on in this forum before, and had my words taken a way they weren't meant, and it's hard to keep up with all the insults and the quips without just throwing your hands up and giving up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840
    Someone brings up immigrants and they’re xenophobic. But the term white hillbilly is fine. This place is amazing. I think some people are waaaayyy too comfortable here. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Of course we should be.

We should also be mindful of the words that we use. For example, your post. "Why didn't Biden mandate vaccinations for illegal immigrants wanting to enter the United States? That seems like a no-brainer to me." 

If you read those words at face value, I think you can understand the pushback you're receiving.

You said nothing about people in your backyard until someone else brought it up and called you out.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I don't think JB is being ignorant nor xenophobic, just my take. when you can get past the idea that this isn't trump speaking, it makes sense. 

can we not have a debate without labelling people? I've been piled on in this forum before, and had my words taken a way they weren't meant, and it's hard to keep up with all the insults and the quips without just throwing your hands up and giving up. 
    Spot on. 
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:
    I don't think anyone is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants.

And I'd guess that making this a reality is likely a strategy of the Biden administration. I'd also guess that there are some legal and ethical hurdles to clear before it's a go. But my guesses are only that.
    If no one is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants then why am I getting all of the push back and now getting mocked over it?
    because it's such a red herring to be so concerned, yet again, of the big bad mexican instead of the idiot living in your own back yard. 

remember the caravan? still waiting. 
    Should we be concerned about EVERYONE though? I am concerned about the idiot living in my backyard but I'm concerned about EVERYONE. It isn't right that Biden mandates the vaccines for MILLIONS of American citizens but will allow illegal immigrants into our country and not mandate it for them. I'm not talking solely about Mexicans. I am talking about EVERYONE.
    Fair enough. but I'm not sure how it would work, and then what halifax said is also correct, he'd be torn to shreds by the right for giving "illegals" free american tax payer funded health care. I'm not sure how you navigate that, politically speaking. 

and he's only mandating it for people who work for big companies so they aren't spreading it to each other while at work. he's not mandating vaccination for all citizens. 
    He is mandating it for big and small companies. Not all companies but it isn't just big companies being mandated.

You say he'd be torn to shreds for giving illegal immigrants free american tax payer funded health care but that's already happening.
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Of course we should be.

We should also be mindful of the words that we use. For example, your post. "Why didn't Biden mandate vaccinations for illegal immigrants wanting to enter the United States? That seems like a no-brainer to me." 

If you read those words at face value, I think you can understand the pushback you're receiving.

You said nothing about people in your backyard until someone else brought it up and called you out.
    The people in my backyard are getting mandated to take the vaccine so I didn't bring it up because that's already happening.
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:
    I don't think anyone is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants.

And I'd guess that making this a reality is likely a strategy of the Biden administration. I'd also guess that there are some legal and ethical hurdles to clear before it's a go. But my guesses are only that.
    If no one is arguing against mandating vaccinations for undocumented immigrants then why am I getting all of the push back and now getting mocked over it?
    because it's such a red herring to be so concerned, yet again, of the big bad mexican instead of the idiot living in your own back yard. 

Should we be concerned about EVERYONE though? I am concerned about the idiot living in my backyard but I'm concerned about EVERYONE. It isn't right that Biden mandates the vaccines for MILLIONS of American citizens but will allow illegal immigrants into our country and not mandate it for them. I'm not talking solely about Mexicans. I am talking about EVERYONE.
    Fair enough. but I'm not sure how it would work, and then what halifax said is also correct, he'd be torn to shreds by the right for giving "illegals" free american tax payer funded health care. I'm not sure how you navigate that, politically speaking. 

and he's only mandating it for people who work for big companies so they aren't spreading it to each other while at work. he's not mandating vaccination for all citizens. 
    He is mandating it for big and small companies. Not all companies but it isn't just big companies being mandated.

You say he'd be torn to shreds for giving illegal immigrants free american tax payer funded health care but that's already happening.
    any company with 100 employees or more. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    While I understand the excitement of the new rules and regulations regarding covid vaccinations, I can’t help but feel this is just what the Republicans need for a big win in the mid terms and 2024.  I really think it is a mistake to generalize that all of the anti vaccine people are trump supporters.  A lot of people will flock to the polls to vote for the party that isn’t forcing them to get a shot with zero thought to the rest of their personal politics.  As much as I would like everyone to be vaccinated and for us to get past covid, I just don’t see that the White Houses new policy doing much other than inflaming and dividing an already divided country.   

Further why aren’t we testing people for natural antibodies etc?  I think a lot of people would like for that to be part of the guiding plan going forward.
    All biden will have to do in 2 years is post the death numbers now in 2021 next to the death number in 2023. then we'll see how much support he'll lose. 

& even if he loses, he's doing what's best for the country right now, regardless of how that might impact his chances at re-election. 

I mean... isn't that what we want in a leader? 
    I also don’t want my leaders to walk off the side of the cliff in order to take the high road.
    If it means saving lives and getting back to normal,  I'm ok with it. 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    Of course we should be.

The people in my backyard are getting mandated to take the vaccine so I didn't bring it up because that's already happening.
    So to be clear,  are you supportive of vaccine mandates for citizens and non citizens alike? Or are you against them?

I think it's fair to say for those of us that support mandates,  we do so for everyone,  irrespective of status.  Medical issues aside of course. 
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,939
    edited September 2021
    Please take the rude comments to each other off of the forum. Discuss the topic not the people discussing the topic. Please see the Posting Guidelines.
    Thank you

Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    nicknyr15 said:
    Someone brings up immigrants and they’re xenophobic. But the term white hillbilly is fine. This place is amazing. I think some people are waaaayyy too comfortable here. 
    really? how would you have phrased it then?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

Yes and companies that carry federal contracts. I know of a business where I live that has less than 100 employees but they make parts for the patriot missles under a federal contract so they are now being mandated.
  • Options
    as i said before, vaccines for every person here regardless of legal status. that is the only way we get through this.

republicans have to help get their holdouts on board. they will never ever listen to a democrat, so the gop has to push for this. full stop.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    as i said before, vaccines for every person here regardless of legal status. that is the only way we get through this.

republicans have to help get their holdouts on board. they will never ever listen to a democrat, so the gop has to push for this. full stop.
    mcturtle has actually been going on tv here and there telling people to get it. but I don't see it working. not enough of a push. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    dankind said:

Yes and companies that carry federal contracts. I know of a business where I live that has less than 100 employees but they make parts for the patriot missles under a federal contract so they are now being mandated.
    And they should be,  because presumably they provide a critical service to the govt. Any disruption to the company due to covid is an unnecessary risk.  Easy decision.  
  • Options
    i hear that covid can cause erectile dysfunction and damage to sperm cells. 

it is almost as if mother nature is trying to breed the ignorance out of us.

• Options

I apologize for the comment suggesting someone was making themselves look like an ass. 

With that being said, I genuinely don't understand how a comment about immigrants "streaming across the border... bringing and spreading COVID to America" could be interpreted as anything BUT xenophobic.

• Options

100%

Mandated vaccines for everyone. (unless a medical condition prevents you from getting it) 
  • Options
    take 10 minutes and watch this. this is 2 hours from me.

• Options
    edited September 2021

I apologize for the comment suggesting someone was making themselves look like an ass. 

With that being said, I genuinely don't understand how a comment about immigrants "streaming across the border... bringing and spreading COVID to America" could be interpreted as anything BUT xenophobic.

because it's factually true that mexican vaccine uptake is incredibly poor? wouldn't it be safe to assume that of the 6000 people coming over the border per day, many of them would have covid, and therefore spread it to other people in america?

it's not the same as fox and trump saying "rapists and murderers". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    If you think “white hillbillies” are the only people not getting vaccinated, then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m in NYC and people of all colors, genders and politics are not getting vaccinated. I know a very liberal Dr who , for $500 , will shoot the shot into the garbage and mark you in the system as vaccinated. There’s so much wrong with that , I can’t even begin to even comprehend it.  The generalization on this site is laughable. I guess people feel safe on this site generalizing an entire group of people based on the actions of a few…. As long as they fit a certain “look”. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    If you think “white hillbillies” are the only people not getting vaccinated, then I don’t know what to tell you. I’m in NYC and people of all colors, genders and politics are not getting vaccinated. I know a very liberal Dr who , for $500 , will shoot the shot into the garbage and mark you in the system as vaccinated. There’s so much wrong with that , I can’t even begin to even comprehend it.  The generalization on this site is laughable. I guess people feel safe on this site generalizing an entire group of people based on the actions of a few…. As long as they fit a certain “look”. 
    holy shit. report him. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,306
    David Frum today on GOP response to Biden's plan:

<<If I were a Republican candidate in 2022, I would want to talk about food prices, crime, border security. Instead Biden just enflamed the Republican base to the point where Republican candidates have little choice but to champion the right to infect.>>

The anti-vax, anti-mask crowd is a fringe group; it's a loud group, and, yes, some of them are on the far left rather than the far right (the ends of the horseshoe bend toward each other). But louder does not equal larger. 

Frum's arguing that campaigning on the merits of 700,000 deaths is a losing cause, and I think he has a good point.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,533
    edited September 2021

because it's factually true that mexican vaccine uptake is incredibly poor? wouldn't it be safe to assume that of the 6000 people coming over the border per day, many of them would have covid, and therefore spread it to other people in america?

If similar concerns were expressed about American's spreading the virus, than I'll stand corrected. 

If you're only concerned about "illegal immigrants" spreading the virus though, people are going to come to the reasonable conclusion that the virus isn't really your primary concern here. 

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,842
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

The AMA says that 96% of American physicians are fully vaccinated, but as there are apparently over a million physicians in the US that still leaves too many who are anti-vaxx, because let's face it, if a practicing physicians hasn't been vaccinated yet there is no other reason for it. The quacks are a smallish but vocal and damaging element, and I agree with the suggestion to report this clown if you have credible information that this is happening. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

If similar concerns were expressed about American's spreading the virus, than I'll stand corrected. 

If you're only concerned about "illegal immigrants" spreading the virus though, people are going to come to the reasonable conclusion that the virus isn't really your primary concern here. 

by saying this, you are making the assumption that JB wasn't concerned about americans. the onus isn't on a person to mention every single group every time they post. by you making this assumption (which I also did), that is your issue, not JB's. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I am way too cultured to call them white hillbillies.  Whiskey Tango (WT) is the proper phrasing in my tea and crumpets circle. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,533
    edited September 2021

by saying this, you are making the assumption that JB wasn't concerned about americans. the onus isn't on a person to mention every single group every time they post. by you making this assumption (which I also did), that is your issue, not JB's. 
    It's not an unreasonable conclusion to come to based on JB's comments. Am I making assumptions? Sure. But not unreasonable ones. 

Complaining about immigrants doing the same thing Americans are doing is simply complaining about immigrants. 

EDIT - pretty sure you and I won't find much middle ground here, but appreciate the discussion all the same. 

JB - I apologize again for the aforementioned comment.
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,198
    Two shots now. I AM A GOLDEN GOD
    Welcome. Now, you pretty much have two options:
    1. Accept that you have no control over the choices others make, and focus instead on what you can do to better protect yourself.
    2. Complain about what you have no control over, and/or seek out social media posts that support your views for reassurance.
    Choose wisely, your mental health just might depend on it.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Harris on abortion, 9/9/21:

When people are able to design their lives in a way that they can determine their own futures, we are a stronger democracy and we are a stronger nation. When people are able to make choices without government interference for themselves — in terms of their wellbeing and the wellbeing of their family, in consultation with whomever they may choose — we are a stronger society.”

Abortion: our bodies, our choice! Government should never dictate what we do to our bodies or put in them!

covid: government needs to mandate vaccines! We need govt to force everyone to do what they want them to do!

perplexing indeed.

if getting a freaking photo ID in order to vote is racist and disenfranchising to minorities (they themselves poll that it’s not), I wonder what we call it when you force them to get vaxxed?  🤔. You know who is the largest unvaxxed group in the US is?  it’s African Americans.  Huh.  Welp.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
This discussion has been closed.