Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,039
    Weird that this is behind the paywall... I thought WaPo's Covid articles were free, but I must be mistaken. 

Can you copy & past any of the pertinent content? 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,746
    Weird that this is behind the paywall... I thought WaPo's Covid articles were free, but I must be mistaken. 

By Tyler Pager and Laurie McGinley
    August 19 at 10:30 PM ET
    Federal health officials are investigating emerging reports that the Moderna coronavirus vaccine may be associated with a higher risk of a heart condition called myocarditis in younger adults than previously believed, according to two people familiar with the review who emphasized the side effect still probably remains uncommon.
    The investigation, which involves the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is focusing on Canadian data that suggests the Moderna vaccine may carry a higher risk for young people than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, especially for males below the age of 30 or so. The authorities also are scrutinizing data from the United States to try to determine whether there is evidence of an increased risk from Moderna in the U.S. population.
    The two people who described the investigation spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing review because they were not authorized to discuss it.
    One of the people familiar with the review emphasized it is too early to reach a conclusion. The person said the agencies must do additional work before deciding whether to issue any kind of new or revised warning or recommendation about the situation. In June, the FDA added a warning label for the Pfizer and Moderna shots — both known as mRNA vaccines — about increased risk of myocarditis.
    “We have not come to a conclusion on this,” one of the people familiar with the investigation said. “The data are not slam bang.”
    Moderna did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited August 2021

That's strange. It wasn't behind a paywall for me...and I don't pay for the Washington Post. Maybe you get some free articles with your IP address. Not sure. Anyway, the article is copied and pasted below....

Federal health officials are investigating emerging reports that the Moderna coronavirus vaccine may be associated with a higher risk of a heart condition called myocarditis in younger adults than previously believed, according to two people familiar with the review who emphasized the side effect still probably remains uncommon.

The investigation, which involves the Food and Drug Administration and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is focusing on Canadian data that suggests the Moderna vaccine may carry a higher risk for young people than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, especially for males below the age of 30 or so. The authorities also are scrutinizing data from the United States to try to determine whether there is evidence of an increased risk from Moderna in the U.S. population.

The two people who described the investigation spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing review because they were not authorized to discuss it.

One of the people familiar with the review emphasized it is too early to reach a conclusion. The person said the agencies must do additional work before deciding whether to issue any kind of new or revised warning or recommendation about the situation. In June, the FDA added a warning label for the Pfizer and Moderna shots — both known as mRNA vaccines — about increased risk of myocarditis.

“We have not come to a conclusion on this,” one of the people familiar with the investigation said. “The data are not slam bang.”

Moderna did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

FDA spokeswoman Stephanie Caccomo said that although the agency will not comment on internal meetings or discussions, “we can say that FDA is absolutely committed to reviewing data as it becomes available to us. We have previously communicated about myocarditis and COVID-19 vaccines and if new information changes the risk/benefit profile, we will update the public accordingly.”

In a statement, the CDC said its “Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices has and continues to review reports of myocarditis and pericarditis following COVID-19 mRNA vaccination. CDC, FDA, and our vaccine safety partners are actively monitoring these reports, including reviewing data and medical records, to learn more and understand any relationship to COVID-19 mRNA vaccination.”

One individual said the Canadian data, which was provided by that country’s government, indicates that there might be a 2½ times higher incidence of myocarditis in those who get Moderna compared with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart.

The myocarditis side effect is extremely rare and even if it is more likely in people receiving the Moderna vaccine, it probably is still very uncommon. Officials want to be careful not to cause alarm among the public, especially when officials are trying to persuade more people to be vaccinated amid a surge of cases fueled by the fast-moving delta variant.

Federal health officials in late June said there is a “likely association” between the Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines and an increased risk of the rare heart condition in adolescents and young adults, the strongest assertion so far regarding a potential link.

But the CDC’s vaccine advisers, at a June 24 meeting, said that getting covid-19, the illness caused by the virus, puts someone at far greater risk of heart inflammation and other serious medical problems than the risk of developing myocarditis from vaccination.

The CDC and the Department of Health and Human Services, together with 15 of the country’s leading medical and public health organizations — including the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American Medical Association and the American Nurses Association — issued a joint statement after the June meeting saying that they “strongly encourage everyone 12 and older” to get the shots because the benefits far outweigh potential harms.

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited August 2021
    Oh yeah, the myocarditis risk. 

This came up before, it's also a potential side effect of COVID itself; it sidelined an otherwise healthy Red Sox pitcher for the entire 2020 season after he contracted covid in their July summer camp. 

EDIT - thanks for pasting the content 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348

This came up before, it's also a potential side effect of COVID itself; it sidelined an otherwise healthy Red Sox pitcher for the entire 2020 season after he contracted covid in their July summer camp. 

Yes, and it was so prevalent that in order to be cleared for college football after you tested positive for Covid, you had to get your heart checked for this very issue. 
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, and it was so prevalent that in order to be cleared for college football after you tested positive for Covid, you had to get your heart checked for this very issue. 
    According to the article, COVID carries a "far greater risk" of causing inflammation of the heart than the vaccine itself, so this doesn't seem like much of a reason to not get the shot. 

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    mrussel1 said:

According to the article, COVID carries a "far greater risk" of causing inflammation of the heart than the vaccine itself, so this doesn't seem like much of a reason to not get the shot. 
    Earlier this month a healthy, athletic 23 year old man who went to high school with my daughter developed chest pain and went to the ER. He tested positive for COVID, with no other symptoms. He wasn't vaccinated. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    A number of experts in immunology and epidemiology question the US announcement that third doses will commence in September, citing lack of evidence at this point of need and the impact this will have on world vaccine supplies, at a time when hundreds of millions of people have not even had one dose, let alone two. 

I think the plan is to do both -- administer third shots here while donating vaccine abroad.

I think they are seeing better antibody responses in immuno-suppressed individuals who receive a third dose (many were showing few if any antibodies after two doses -- a good thing in terms of avoiding organ rejection in transplant recipients,  a bad thing in terms of resisting covid).

What I read this morning is that they are seeing a decline in immune response overall after eight months or so , so they are opting to try to get out in front of a resurgence, especially since those who got vaccinated first are, in general, the most at-risk groups (healthcare workers, nursing home residents, people over 75). They expect to have adequate supply of vaccine both to administer third doses domestically and to export vaccine. Keep in mind that production has ramped up and the mRNA vaccines do not have the same storage requirements/ limitations as had been assumed at first.

I agree that there's a real ethical question to address here, and I don't know what the right answer is (if there is one). At the same time,  if the vaccine is available locally and one chooses to forego a third dose due to the belief that we ought to make sure everyone has first had one dose, that unused vaccine is not going to be reallocated to Mali. As individuals, I think it is incumbent on each of us to do whatever we can, via the resources available to us, to limit the spread of the virus. For most people on here, that means masking up in high-transmission area and getting a vaccine/ boosters when it's your turn.

We don't yet have data that any waning in immune response translates into an increase in serious or fatal cases. If it's just a possible increase in mild cases then I personally don't feel comfortable with our developed nations getting early boosters when so many nations have none and are still awash with serious and fatal cases. If we do get sufficient data that links waning efficacy to more serious or fatal cases, then I would probably feel differently although I still question the ethics of this. 

If the vaccine is available locally, as you say, that's due to a policy decision. A different policy decision could be made to send those doses overseas. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    Are there other solutions besides policy-change? People-changes?
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    mrussel1 said:

I discussed this article with my husband last night. He said that there have been, IIRC, 732 confirmed cases, out of 137 million people vaccinated. That's a 5.34:1,000,000 chance of suffering this adverse event post-vaccination.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    A number of experts in immunology and epidemiology question the US announcement that third doses will commence in September, citing lack of evidence at this point of need and the impact this will have on world vaccine supplies, at a time when hundreds of millions of people have not even had one dose, let alone two. 

I think the plan is to do both -- administer third shots here while donating vaccine abroad.

I think they are seeing better antibody responses in immuno-suppressed individuals who receive a third dose (many were showing few if any antibodies after two doses -- a good thing in terms of avoiding organ rejection in transplant recipients,  a bad thing in terms of resisting covid).

What I read this morning is that they are seeing a decline in immune response overall after eight months or so , so they are opting to try to get out in front of a resurgence, especially since those who got vaccinated first are, in general, the most at-risk groups (healthcare workers, nursing home residents, people over 75). They expect to have adequate supply of vaccine both to administer third doses domestically and to export vaccine. Keep in mind that production has ramped up and the mRNA vaccines do not have the same storage requirements/ limitations as had been assumed at first.

I agree that there's a real ethical question to address here, and I don't know what the right answer is (if there is one). At the same time,  if the vaccine is available locally and one chooses to forego a third dose due to the belief that we ought to make sure everyone has first had one dose, that unused vaccine is not going to be reallocated to Mali. As individuals, I think it is incumbent on each of us to do whatever we can, via the resources available to us, to limit the spread of the virus. For most people on here, that means masking up in high-transmission area and getting a vaccine/ boosters when it's your turn.

We don't yet have data that any waning in immune response translates into an increase in serious or fatal cases. If it's just a possible increase in mild cases then I personally don't feel comfortable with our developed nations getting early boosters when so many nations have none and are still awash with serious and fatal cases. If we do get sufficient data that links waning efficacy to more serious or fatal cases, then I would probably feel differently although I still question the ethics of this. 

If the vaccine is available locally, as you say, that's due to a policy decision. A different policy decision could be made to send those doses overseas. 

I don't disagree. The ethics are not clear-cut. I think that in general, what I'm hearing is that for those of us who are under 65 and immunocompromised, the waning response won't necessarily translate into developing a severe case. Most at risk are the people who always have been most at risk. We're seeing the most severe "breakthrough" cases in elderly people and/or people who are at high risk. They're going to be first in line for a booster, just as they were first in line initially. I can understand that rationale, just as I can understand feeling unease over offering booster shots at home while much of the world is desperate for first shots. I can easily envision a scenario where the government announces that they're going to focus on covering the rest of the world and asks us to wait a year or two for a booster and having people flip out over that policy, too.

I guess where my thinking lies is, if you or I feel troubled by the policy decision, we ought to deliver feedback to the policymakers. But if the booster shots are available locally, we also should get them when it's our turn, both because it helps keep our communities safer and because unused vaccine is not going to be boxed up at your local CVS and shipped abroad. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    edited August 2021
    1. If a waning response doesn't increase serious cases, how does taking a booster keep community safer? Wouldn't communities be safer with less mutations when other populations are vaccinated?
    2. When the US was vaccinated, then they shared and shipped products to others.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:

I discussed this article with my husband last night. He said that there have been, IIRC, 732 confirmed cases, out of 137 million people vaccinated. That's a 5.34:1,000,000 chance of suffering this adverse event post-vaccination.

"Heart inflammation triggered by some covid-19 vaccines has been a concern, especially in younger people, but a preliminary study suggests that in those most affected, it is six times more likely to occur after a coronavirus infection than after vaccination"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25133462-800-myocarditis-is-more-common-after-covid-19-infection-than-vaccination/
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    Florida is going to withhold funds if two counties do not have an "Opt out" mask option brought forth to the kids.
    Florida is going to withhold funds if two counties do not have an "Opt out" mask option brought forth to the kids.
    And Biden already said the DOE will make up the funds. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    mrussel1 said:
    Really?  Good for him.

So friggin stupid this all is.
    mrussel1 said:
    Really?  Good for him.

So friggin stupid this all is.
    Yeah, even made teh pledge when DeSantis said he was going to withhold salaries of county employees. 
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    Nothing about our behavior during this crisis will ever be considered rational. 
    mrussel1 said:

since its the under 3 crowd most effected shouldnt that be the variable in the math?

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Holy damn it feels like this is just the beginning again the only difference is that the hospital I work @ hasn’t seen a big increase in patients yet! All employees have to have at least 1 dose by sept 26 or else you will be out of a job! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited August 2021
    mickeyrat said:

I haven’t heard anyone say they don’t need a mask because God will protect them. Is anyone actually using that? I’m sure some random person probably believes that, just like some still believe Elvis is alive, but haven’t heard it as a common belief shared among many.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,304
    Pressley Stutts? Victim of propaganda? Guess he wasn’t a stray cat?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I haven’t heard anyone say they don’t need a mask because God will protect them. Is anyone actually using that? I’m sure some random person probably believes that, just like some still believe Elvis is alive, but haven’t heard it as a common belief shared among many.

Cole Beasley, Kirk Cousins, Jake Fraley

A lot of other athletes too
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,672
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

My wife works in retail and she has told me numerous times of people saying this when they would walk into the store and she would ask them to wear a mask. 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2

mrussel1 said:

inbreeding? decade after decade of cuts to education, ignorance or stupidity or both in regards to social media and how it works. lack of any modicum of critical thought.

shall I continue?

This discussion has been closed.