Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

inbreeding? decade after decade of cuts to education, ignorance or stupidity or both in regards to social media and how it works. lack of any modicum of critical thought.

shall I continue?
    Hahaha.  
    I approve of this message.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,746
    things that make you go hmmmmm?

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    mickeyrat said:

It defies logic!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    It’s widely reported that the FDA may fully approve the Pfizer BionTech vaccine on Monday or possibly slightly later. Would be lovely if all of those people who said they wouldn’t accept an “experimental”, unapproved vaccine get promptly vaccinated thereafter. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    mickeyrat said:

The problem I have with these consistency/hypocrisy arguments is this:

1.  I do NOT believe the state can mandate a 14 year old rape victim to have a baby

To be consistent, I have to say:

2.  I do NOT believe the state can mandate masks.

The opposite consistent argument also holds true -- if the state can mandate masks, the state can also mandate rape pregnancies.

The argument just doesn't work, if consistency is the goal.  It really shouldn't be. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, HD Thoreau in this case rings true.

But still:  WEAR A FUCKING MASK. School started for us on Aug 12, and thankfully students have been almost perfect in their compliance with our mask mandate. Even with it -- every single teacher in the building has at least one student out with CoVid since school started. One of my colleagues has had four go out in the same class period in one week.

And still:  It's brutal teaching in a mask all day, trying to project through a room of rambunctious middle schoolers excited to be back, exerting physical energy while assisting students (in a crowded classroom at full capacity), rushing through halls to get from meeting to meeting, all in a building with a poor HVAC system and high humidity. Yesterday I didn't have time to put in my contacts, so compound it all with fogged up glasses while trying to read all day. I hate every minute of it. . . . And I really miss the mute button.

I hope we don't shut down, and I hope the masks keep me from killing my mother, and I hope it gets easier to breathe. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    So where do we go from here with this whole pandemic? New vaccinations are crawling at the moment (increase in last couple of days but still not close to what we need). Also vaccinations are proven to be less effective after 3 months in preventing you catching covid. They are still very effective in reducing the symptoms however which is a huge result but it appears  boosters will be necessary going forward. This means less people will take the boosters than who are currently vaccinated by now. Plenty of people I know are one and done. 

My question is when do we stop counting cases of covid in this pandemic especially for the vaccinated? When does someone not need to self isolate if they are positive and asymptomatic? I get that kids are still vulnerable and some people can not get the vaccine but still when is this going to end? I am not saying it should be today or tomorrow but really feeling that we are back to square one here with the vaccine being proven to not be the end to spreading of this virus. 

• If people are known to be positive with the virus, why would they not self isolate?
    What difference if they have the vaccine or not, they can still pass to others who may or may not be vaccinated.
    Glad they are asymptomatic but they should also still be respectful citizens of the world and try not to spread the virus.

When does it end? 
    I don't know.  Another thousand + people died in the US yesterday, so on my opinion is sure as heck shouldn't end now.
  • (note I'm not counting cases, but deaths.  I do agree that too much focus is on cases and not enough on hospitalizations and deaths)
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    edited August 2021
    If people are known to be positive with the virus, why would they not self isolate?
    What difference if they have the vaccine or not, they can still pass to others who may or may not be vaccinated.
    Glad they are asymptomatic but they should also still be respectful citizens of the world and try not to spread the virus.

When does it end? 
    I don't know.  Another thousand + people died in the US yesterday, so on my opinion is sure as heck shouldn't end now.
    I am not saying they should not self isolate right now. I am saying where do we need to get to in the future that we do not need to worry about it. Is it deaths that matter for this? Hospitalizations? Total case counts? Me saying above we are back to square one was a poor choice of words too. We are not. We now have a vaccine that works and no full lockdowns. That said since we look like we will have covid with us forever. What now for going forward to a normal world with all of the variants undoubtedly going to spring up. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Not sure about answers for those....for my two cents this is all weighted (everything we do as protective measures) on the number of deaths and hospitalizations.  I could change my position if more info comes out on long Covid but for now that I what I personally feel is the driver.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    More third booster/inequitable vaccine roll-out effects to come

"Libya’s Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research has again suspended classes at universities as the country battles a third wave of COVID-19 infections....

And again, critics say the government has the wrong approach and that the move will further disrupt education.

Instead of suspending classes, opponents of the decision are calling for increased vaccination of the university community and more remote education along with social distancing and other health measures to lessen the ongoing disruption of higher-education institutions.

According to the Reuters COVID-19 tracker, Libya’s daily infection rate has been as high as 2,593 at the time of going to press.

A total of 224,920 infections and 3,299 coronavirus-related deaths have been reported in the country since the pandemic began.

Only about 2.9% of Libya’s population of 7 million has been fully vaccinated.... "

full article link: 
    https://www.universityworldnews.com/post.php?story=20210719155549212
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    It’s widely reported that the FDA may fully approve the Pfizer BionTech vaccine on Monday or possibly slightly later. Would be lovely if all of those people who said they wouldn’t accept an “experimental”, unapproved vaccine get promptly vaccinated thereafter. 
    Goal posts must be moved..
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    He had been battling for a while.  God, the fools.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    mickeyrat said:

Which state is an abortion illegal for minors? I wasn’t aware of any. Parental consent, yes. But that’s different than saying state mandated.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835

https://www.studyfinds.org/face-masks-wont-stop-covid-indoors/

So should we required N95 masks?  I made my own mask out of an old t-shirt before masks were even required in the pandemic so I'm not anti-mask.  Even after this study I'll wear one if required if it makes others feel better. But if this study is right, then it is troubling and adds fuel to the fire for those who don't trust the CDC or government. 

I've already received texts from people basically overjoyed at this study and how they were right all along. 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844

https://www.studyfinds.org/face-masks-wont-stop-covid-indoors/

So should we required N95 masks?  I made my own mask out of an old t-shirt before masks were even required in the pandemic so I'm not anti-mask.  Even after this study I'll wear one if required if it makes others feel better. But if this study is right, then it is troubling and adds fuel to the fire for those who don't trust the CDC or government. 

I've already received texts from people basically overjoyed at this study and how they were right all along. 

Well, it’s a no-brainer that poorly fitting masks and many cloth masks don’t do all that much. This isn’t news. People should be wearing triple layer cloth masks that fit well if they aren’t wearing a medical mask. However, lots of people don’t wear masks that fit well because they can be less comfortable than masks that fit poorly. 

The issue with these types of studies that try to look at air flow in certain circumstances is that they haven’t been that accurate at reflecting what epidemiological and research data tells us about the differences in actual transmission between masked vs unmasked people. This isn’t  the first of these studies that claims to show that “masks don’t work”. 

If I get a chance I’ll look at the study design and might have more comments then. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    dankind said:
    Does not pertain to me, but read it anyway. Another terribly sad piece of this effed up puzzle. I hope you and your wife are doing ok. 

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,304
    dankind said:
    From the Atlantic at the bottom of the article you posted. ‘Murica, land of the selfish.

I wonder how many parents would let their kids play pee wee football without a helmet? I mean helmets don’t prevent concussions so why wear one? My kid, my choice, right?

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/some-americans-no-longer-believe-in-the-common-good/619856/
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    I apologize in advance, since this isn't in good taste - but just like Time Magazine have given POTY awards to a group of people, can the deceased anti-vaxxers of 2020 receive the Darwin Award?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    I apologize in advance, since this isn't in good taste - but just like Time Magazine have given POTY awards to a group of people, can the deceased anti-vaxxers of 2020 receive the Darwin Award?

one thing about covid, its doing a faster number on right wing radio than cancer did.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,461
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:

one thing about covid, its doing a faster number on right wing radio than cancer did.....
    Zing!
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:

Well played, sir!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Fuckstick booed at egostroke rally in alabama...

Trump Booed At Rally After Quipping That COVID-19 Vaccinations Are ‘Good’

CULLMAN, USA - AUGUST 21: Donald J. Trump delivers remarks at a major rally hosted by the Alaba... MORE
    August 22, 2021 11:04 a.m.

Former President Trump appeared to get booed by some of his supporters at a “Save America” rally in Alabama on Saturday night as soon as he encouraged the crowd to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

“I believe totally in your freedoms, I do, you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do,” Trump said. “But I recommend: take the vaccines.”

After saying that COVID-19 vaccines are “good,” Trump was met with boos from the crowd.

Trump then quipped to the crowd that they have “freedoms,” but that he “happened to take the vaccine.”

Newsletters
    Get TPM in your inbox, twice weekly.

When the audible booing tamped down, Trump joked that the crowd would be the “first to know,” before reiterating against the vaccines are “working.”

continues....

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited August 2021
    A little random, but one thing I’m shocked to see not change is how restaurants handle lids for cups. I’ve thought this for years, and thought certainly it would change. Many don’t let you touch the cups, have an advance system to dispense 1 straw at a time, then direct you to a lid station where you have to man-handle 3-4 lids just to get 1 out. Then you’re stuck throwing several away and wasting the equivalent of 5 straws (after they just went out of their way to give you a paper one) or put them back for the next person.
    I still see the same system in place nearly everywhere I go.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    And another...

It seems like small-time right-wing radio DJs are practicing what they preach, whereas GQP elected officials are being vaccinated.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.