Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332

https://www.studyfinds.org/face-masks-wont-stop-covid-indoors/

So should we required N95 masks?  I made my own mask out of an old t-shirt before masks were even required in the pandemic so I'm not anti-mask.  Even after this study I'll wear one if required if it makes others feel better. But if this study is right, then it is troubling and adds fuel to the fire for those who don't trust the CDC or government. 

I've already received texts from people basically overjoyed at this study and how they were right all along. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

And some other things I have seen but can't find the links - the regular flu season (the charts I saw were from nordic countries) was way down last season due to masks & distancing. The peak was lower and the season ended 6 weeks earlier than the previous years. And I can tell you that businesses that make cold/flu medicine, tissues and the like had a not great year last year.  The data shows that all these measures work, and work best together.

Just like hearplugs, face masks only work well when worn properly.  There is no doubt that an engineered facemask (N95) is going to be better.  This is due to not only the makeup of the material but due to the fit.  And even then, if not worn properly they won't protect nearly as well.  Too many people wearing masks with gaps for comfort.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    They aren’t telling us though to wear N95 masks.  They are telling us to wear masks, and it doesn’t sound like wearing a surgical mask properly does not do much more than provide 10% protection.

I just think they need to do a better job getting their message out, because people are right to question why their kid needs to wear a mask to school if they aren’t required to wear a N95.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    Well not everyone wore a N95 yet flu cases were down and when we started wearing any kind of mask the covid numbers dropped. I’m not disagreeing with the studies just saying I believe the effectiveness is underestimated.  I for one found myself more cautious about touching my face, nose.  It reminded me to use hand sanitizers as soon as the mask came off in the car. I just think we’re living in a time where it’s popular not to agree with anyone about everything.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,748
    as seen this morning in an exam room at my doctors office....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    US regulators give full approval to Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine
    By LAURAN NEERGAARD and MATTHEW PERRONE
    12 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. gave full approval to Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine on Monday, a milestone that may help lift public confidence in the shots as the nation battles the most contagious coronavirus mutant yet.

The vaccine made by Pfizer and its partner BioNTech now carries the strongest endorsement from the Food and Drug Administration, which has never before had so much evidence to judge a shot’s safety. More than 200 million Pfizer doses already have been administered in the U.S. — and hundreds of millions more worldwide — since emergency use began in December.

“The public can be very confident that this vaccine meets the high standards for safety, effectiveness and manufacturing quality the FDA requires of an approved product,” said acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock. "Today’s milestone puts us one step closer to altering the course of this pandemic in the U.S.”

The U.S. becomes the first country to fully approve the shot, according to Pfizer, and CEO Albert Bourla said in a statement he hoped the decision “will help increase confidence in our vaccine, as vaccination remains the best tool we have to help protect lives.”

U.S. vaccinations bottomed out in July. As delta fills hospital beds, shots are on the rise again — with a million a day given Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Just over half of the U.S. population is fully vaccinated with one of the country’s three options, from Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson.

The FDA’s action also may spur more vaccine mandates by companies, universities and local governments. This month New York City, New Orleans and San Francisco all imposed proof-of-vaccination requirements at restaurants, bars and other indoor venues. At the federal level, President Joe Biden is requiring government workers to sign forms attesting that they’ve been vaccinated or else submit to regular testing and other requirements.

Anxious Americans increasingly are on board: Close to 6 in 10 favor requiring people to be fully vaccinated to travel on airplanes or attend crowded public events, according to a recent poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

“Mandating becomes much easier when you have full approval,” said Dr. Carlos del Rio of Emory University. “I think a lot of businesses have been waiting for it.”

The FDA, like regulators in Europe and much of the world, initially allowed emergency use of Pfizer’s vaccine based on a study that tracked 44,000 people 16 and older for at least two months — the time period when serious side effects typically arise.

That’s shorter than the six months of safety data normally required for full approval. So Pfizer kept that study going, and the FDA also examined real-world safety evidence in deciding to fully license the vaccine for people 16 and older, those studied the longest. Pfizer’s shot still has emergency authorization for 12- to 15-year-olds.

Even after hundreds of millions of shots, serious side effects — such as chest pain and heart inflammation in teens and young adults — remain exceedingly rare, the FDA said.

As for effectiveness, six-month tracking of Pfizer’s original study showed the vaccine remained 97% protective against severe COVID-19. Protection against milder infection waned slightly, from a peak of 96% two months after the second dose to 84% by six months.

Those data came before the extra-contagious delta variant began spreading, but other data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows the vaccine is still doing a good job preventing severe disease caused by that mutant.

As for all the talk about booster doses, the FDA’s licensure doesn’t cover those. The agency will decide that separately.

The FDA already is allowing emergency use of a third dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine for people with severely weakened immune systems, such as organ transplant recipients who don’t respond as strongly to the usual two shots. For everyone else who got those vaccinations, the Biden administration is planning ahead for booster starting in the fall — if the FDA and CDC agree.

Also still to be decided is vaccination of children under 12. Both Pfizer and Moderna are studying youngsters, with data expected in the fall.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    They aren’t telling us though to wear N95 masks.  They are telling us to wear masks, and it doesn’t sound like wearing a surgical mask properly does not do much more than provide 10% protection.

I just think they need to do a better job getting their message out, because people are right to question why their kid needs to wear a mask to school if they aren’t required to wear a N95.
    You don't need a N95 mask for protection...a 3-layer surgical type masks works well for most environments for most people.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,808
    Pfizer Vaccine granted full FDA Approval today

going to make mandating the vaccine at work, school, and public places much easier 
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,083
    edited August 2021
    People can question if their kids should wear a mask to school all they want....so long as they follow the local regulations and if required, send the kid in with masks.
    I'm thankful we are required to send our kid in masks.  Our kid is not old enough to have a vaccine shot.
    Also. ..he doesn't care.
    Why?  Because he is a kid and is flexible.  He'd rather wear a mask to try and have everyone be safer and to be in person at school vs remote.

For me this is easy.   If it helps 10% it is worth it 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    Our kids go back in a weeks time with absolutely no restrictions.  Im petrified. Its all very wrong
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

• mickeyrat said:
    i was just going to post this and say "i wonder what the next excuse to not get the vaccine is gonna be?"
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,176
    Screw this my wife works at a hospital too not the same one as me today she’s an assistant director for nursing! She told me as of today they 35 Covid patients admitted and two died over the weekend, we were all vaccinated back in January so we’re 8 months out, I’m canceling all crowd gatherings events again and just being proactive in my protection from this killer virus! I don’t care if I don’t see another live act or movie or restaurant for that matter unless a booster is available soon to everyone. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • anybody see those 70+ florida docs walk off of the job today?

• Screw this my wife works at a hospital too not the same one as me today she’s an assistant director for nursing! She told me as of today they 35 Covid patients admitted and two died over the weekend, we were all vaccinated back in January so we’re 8 months out, I’m canceling all crowd gatherings events again and just being proactive in my protection from this killer virus! I don’t care if I don’t see another live act or movie or restaurant for that matter unless a booster is available soon to everyone. 
    i hear ya man. shit is bad here in missouri too. stay safe!

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Dying In The Name Of Vaccine Freedumb

https://youtu.be/pd8P12BXebo
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    BC updates: 

Vaccine passport required Sept.13 - mid Jan for non essential service-recreation.

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    I was enlightened by a co worker this morning. There are currently more people in hospitals from the effects of the vaccine than there are for the virus itself. He said the data is on the CDC website, you just need to dig for it. I dug, and to my surprise, I couldn't find it. He is a dyed in the wool MAGA 'patriot" who believed every falsehood and conspiracy theory put out by FOX (until they acknowledged that Trump lost) and NEWSMAX . He has been a constant denier of the virus who just returned from being off for being sick with COVID.  
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    edited August 2021
    I was enlightened by a co worker this morning. There are currently more people in hospitals from the effects of the vaccine than there are for the virus itself. He said the data is on the CDC website, you just need to dig for it. I dug, and to my surprise, I couldn't find it. He is a dyed in the wool MAGA 'patriot" who believed every falsehood and conspiracy theory put out by FOX (until they acknowledged that Trump lost) and NEWSMAX . He has been a constant denier of the virus who just returned from being off for being sick with COVID.  

Your coworker might be onto something.  Keep us informed of what they find out!
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,304
    Check out the video interview with the POOTWH worshiper at his Alabama rally. She’s a goat, not a sheep.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    Smellyman said:

I'll be really mad if this is at all true.
  • lol cyber ninjas have found more cases of covid than voter fraud.

• Smellyman said:

He was mocking his coworker for being a fool to believe everything they hear.  He checked and there is nothing .... because it is an crazy claim.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    Smellyman said:

He was mocking his coworker for being a fool to believe everything they hear.  He checked and there is nothing .... because it is an crazy claim.

Oh thank God...  I did digging one time on a FOX news poll and had people argue w me about the results.  Explained to them step by step on how to find the info I was getting from the poll and after all of that they told me "Polls are bullshit anyways"...

I want to homestead...
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Smellyman said:

I love those arguments because wouldn’t somebody who has CDC data like that at their disposal share it with you? Or maybe first they have to scrape all the bamboo pieces off of it.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    Smellyman said:

I love those arguments because wouldn’t somebody who has CDC data like that at their disposal share it with you? Or maybe first they have to scrape all the bamboo pieces off of it.

buried in raw code that needs translated.....

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • can't they just slap Mr. Yuk stickers on that animal de-wormer people are taking?

Mr. Yuk stickers work on most people in kindergarten, so maybe it would help?

This discussion has been closed.