Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    I thought they'd mix up the mRNA formula easily for variants before the third....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    PJNB said:
    Boosters are starting to come out soon. This is going to help the people that trust in the science and further push away those that do not. If it is needed I am all for it but if you need a booster 8 months after you already have been vaccinated the number of people willing to go in for more is going to drop off significantly I feel. 
    I got my second Moderna shot in February, so It should be sometime in October when it is recommended for me to get the booster. Time to roll up the sleeve. 
    queue up the "where does it end?" anti-vaxxer angle. 

Never mind that boosters already are required for many vaccines; my son had to get a tetanus booster the other day for grad school. And as a doctor recently noted, many of the vaccine we receive in childhood require multiple injections. This is nothing new, but some people will act like it is.
    Another angle for you.  Those vaccines were worked on for years.  Not 12 months.

That is also what is said.
    and that would be misleading. the technology for these vaccines has been around over a decade. all that was needed was the target. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

edited August 2021
    PJNB said:
    Boosters are starting to come out soon. This is going to help the people that trust in the science and further push away those that do not. If it is needed I am all for it but if you need a booster 8 months after you already have been vaccinated the number of people willing to go in for more is going to drop off significantly I feel. 
    I got my second Moderna shot in February, so It should be sometime in October when it is recommended for me to get the booster. Time to roll up the sleeve. 

Never mind that boosters already are required for many vaccines; my son had to get a tetanus booster the other day for grad school. And as a doctor recently noted, many of the vaccine we receive in childhood require multiple injections. This is nothing new, but some people will act like it is.
    Another angle for you.  Those vaccines were worked on for years.  Not 12 months.

double post

www.headstonesband.com

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    hedonist said:
    Any word on whether the boosters are expected to have any side-effects similar to those of the initial vaccine?
    I am going to guess yes, but it is just a guess. I might try to arrange to get it on a Friday, so if I do feel crappy I can stay home and not be at work. My side effects only lasted the day after the injection last time.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,038
    edited August 2021
    PJNB said:

and that would be misleading. the technology for these vaccines has been around over a decade. all that was needed was the target. 
    & I believe we're 17 months out from the first Moderna trials.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    Any word on whether the boosters are expected to have any side-effects similar to those of the initial vaccine?
    Is a booster a different compound?  I thought it was the same compound, just third shot. 
    That is how I read it as well. Same shot. So now they are coming out with boosters for the boosters (second shot I thought was a booster). These will at the very least help those that are more vulnerable right away since they were the ones that got vaccinated first to begin with. On top of that they are coming out with another shot entirely that is supposed to fight off the Delta better. Ya I can see how this works but can also see how antivaxxers will love this and fuel their reasoning for not getting the shots. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    PJNB said:

Since 2003 and SARS, yes.  

Next to be said would be "It's still an experimental vaccine and I don't want to be a guinea pig..."

They have a reply for everything.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    PJNB said:

But the mRNA vaccine technology was in development for years, as I noted. And the vaccines were trailled on thousands of people. And 160 million Americans have since been vaccinated, with precious few adverse events.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    hedonist said:
    My sister's in-laws just got boosters this week. Her MIL is immune compromised so was eligible. They had similar effects to the initial vaccine - some fever and headaches. I don't know if that will be common, however.

PJNB said:

Next to be said would be "It's still an experimental vaccine and I don't want to be a guinea pig..."

They'll be fresh out of excuses other than "But I don't wanna!" once the vaccines get full FDA approval -- which Fauci thinks is coming very soon.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    GlowGirl said:
    hedonist said:
    My sister's in-laws just got boosters this week. Her MIL is immune compromised so was eligible. They had similar effects to the initial vaccine - some fever and headaches. I don't know if that will be common, however.

A close friend's cousin has been parts of the trials going back to early this year.  She got the booster and had far worse side effects than the two main shots.  I'm not sure which one she got.  But that's one person, anecdotal, etc.  
    hedonist said:

I'm not a doctor, so I'm just guessing here: I think people who are immune-suppressed and didn't generate antibodies after the first two shots might feel like garbage after the third dose.

For the rest of us, going here just based on my experience with flu shots, I'd guess reactions would be mild. I felt like crap after my first-ever flu shot, but in subsequent years (I've gotten a flu shot in all but one of the last 28 years -- got sick that missed year!) felt no side effects.

But I'll ask my in-house expert for input later and see what he says, LOL.

On the broader topic of vaccines, since I'm guessing most of us are ""of a certain age" -- the shingles vaccine, recommended for those of us who are over 50, also is a two-dose vaccination. Both doses were absolutely miserable experiences for me (worse than Moderna, and I felt both doses of Moderna); so that vaccine warrants scheduling a day or two off from work or a Friday appointment, too. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    It makes sence  the immune compromised get side effects every jab. Because  for the very reason they need  booster. The body is reacting to a "new" threat.  Where as a "healthy" immune system would recognise it.   These people formed low levels of protection  so makes  full sence to me anyhow
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    I did not feel a thing for either jab. Wondering what that means... 

www.headstonesband.com

NYC today has new mandates that if you do not have at least 1 shot you are not permitted to dine in, see a movie or to use the Gym.
    NYC today has new mandates that if you do not have at least 1 shot you are not permitted to dine in, see a movie or to use the Gym.
    Good 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • NYC today has new mandates that if you do not have at least 1 shot you are not permitted to dine in, see a movie or to use the Gym.
    but fREeDuM??
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    but fREeDuM??
    At this  point let them be outsiders. Idiots
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054

More like decades. Dr Katalin Kariko began working on mRNA  30 years ago. . Very interesting to read/see her interviews. 
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/08/health/coronavirus-mrna-kariko.html
    PJNB said:

They'll be fresh out of excuses other than "But I don't wanna!" once the vaccines get full FDA approval -- which Fauci thinks is coming very soon.
    lol.  Correct.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

I'm not a doctor, so I'm just guessing here: I think people who are immune-suppressed and didn't generate antibodies after the first two shots might feel like garbage after the third dose.

For the rest of us, going here just based on my experience with flu shots, I'd guess reactions would be mild. I felt like crap after my first-ever flu shot, but in subsequent years (I've gotten a flu shot in all but one of the last 28 years -- got sick that missed year!) felt no side effects.

On the broader topic of vaccines, since I'm guessing most of us are ""of a certain age" -- the shingles vaccine, recommended for those of us who are over 50, also is a two-dose vaccination. Both doses were absolutely miserable experiences for me (worse than Moderna, and I felt both doses of Moderna); so that vaccine warrants scheduling a day or two off from work or a Friday appointment, too. 
    The shingles vaccine was a bitch! (But worth it for me). 
  • "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,304
    I wonder what kind of health plan he has.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • I wonder what kind of health plan he has.
    probably getting that synthetic antibody medication that the rest of us broke bitches can't afford.

plus he was at a huge mask free event last night.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663

• This is karma deluxe
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Meh. Abbot has been vaccinated...not like he's going to risk his health the way his lemmings are so he can score OAN points.

He'll come out with almost no symptoms and it'll be some kinda "told you so."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin

I reflexively burst out laughing when I read this. Does that make me a terrible person? I really don't sit around wishing others ill, really, I don't.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    hedonist said:

It's strange how different people react so differently. I had both shingles shots last year and had zero reaction. I was totally fine. My brother was fine as well for that one. My dad had a bad reaction. So, I think it just depends.

This discussion has been closed.