Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    True religious exemptions should be vanishingly rare, since none of the major world religions are anti-vaccination. Christian Scientists (and what a misnomer that is) believe only in healing by prayer, and some small Christian evangelical churches believe only in faith healing, but that’s about it. Even religious cultural groups like the Amish aren’t anti-vaccination in their basic teachings, though some sects may go that way. The use of “religious exemption” is basically a cloak for personal beliefs, which can be swayed by a number of factors beyond religion. 
    The Hasidic population here in NY do not have religious exemptions they just choose not to do them.  They have their own schools, police and fire dept and sometimes hospitals so they don't bother with getting any vaccinations as they govern themselves and do not want to be told how to live.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    People here are refusing  due to fears of what the vaccine  will do to you. 
    Its not political or religious here at all from what ive seen. 
    But there's a correlation here.  It's no coincidence that the hesitancy is rooted in the Republican party and that's also the party that is more religious and less educated.  It doesn't mean that ONLY Republicans, but there is a correlation.  

By demographic (though the data is incomplete), the least vaccinated group in America are black people. So you're right that it's not ONLY Republicans, but it might not be MAINLY Republicans either, going off the assumption that there's more black Democrats than there are black Republicans. 

"Black Americans are the least vaccinated demographic group, according to the Centers for Disease Control, which estimates that 25% of the Black population in the US is fully vaccinated. Of the US population that is fully vaccinated, only 9% are Black. However, this data is incomplete -- the CDC reports that race and ethnicity data is available for 68% of people who are fully vaccinated."

"The difference between life and death" Community leaders boost efforts to reach unvaccinated Black Americans amid Delta spike - CNN
    Blacks make up only 14% of the population.  So while it is true that by demographic they are the least, there are more white Americans unvaxxed than black ones.  And the hesitancy is rooted in the GOP, not the D's.  https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/11/majorities-support-vaccine-mask-mandates-republicans-503506

I understand that there are way less black people in the country so of course there's more unvaccinated white people. But I also don't think that the 75% of black people that are unvaccinated are unvaccinated because they're being influenced by the GOP or Fox News pushing hesitancy. So why aren't they getting vaccinated? They're (for the most part) not of the party that is "more religious and less educated." The majority of registered black voters are democrats, and the democrats have been pushing the vaccine. So why aren't they getting it?

My overall point is that it's not just white Trump-lovers that are refusing the vaccine. Yet it seems as if they're the only ones getting ridiculed and criticized for not believing in science. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    But there's a correlation here.  It's no coincidence that the hesitancy is rooted in the Republican party and that's also the party that is more religious and less educated.  It doesn't mean that ONLY Republicans, but there is a correlation.  

By demographic (though the data is incomplete), the least vaccinated group in America are black people. So you're right that it's not ONLY Republicans, but it might not be MAINLY Republicans either, going off the assumption that there's more black Democrats than there are black Republicans. 

"Black Americans are the least vaccinated demographic group, according to the Centers for Disease Control, which estimates that 25% of the Black population in the US is fully vaccinated. Of the US population that is fully vaccinated, only 9% are Black. However, this data is incomplete -- the CDC reports that race and ethnicity data is available for 68% of people who are fully vaccinated."

"The difference between life and death" Community leaders boost efforts to reach unvaccinated Black Americans amid Delta spike - CNN
    Blacks make up only 14% of the population.  So while it is true that by demographic they are the least, there are more white Americans unvaxxed than black ones.  And the hesitancy is rooted in the GOP, not the D's.  https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/11/majorities-support-vaccine-mask-mandates-republicans-503506

I understand that there are way less black people in the country so of course there's more unvaccinated white people. But I also don't think that the 75% of black people that are unvaccinated are unvaccinated because they're being influenced by the GOP or Fox News pushing hesitancy. So why aren't they getting vaccinated? They're (for the most part) not of the party that is "more religious and less educated." The majority of registered black voters are democrats, and the democrats have been pushing the vaccine. So why aren't they getting it?
    Because the Gov't has done a bang up job helping them all these years.  That's why.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My overall point is that it's not just white Trump-lovers that are refusing the vaccine. Yet it seems as if they're the only ones getting ridiculed and criticized for not believing in science. 
    I'm not claiming it's a monolith or there's one answer.  But you cannot deny the other data that shows vaccine hesitancy is far more prevalent in the Republican party than the Democratic party. There's also a very strong contingent of anti-vax highly liberal people in Oregon, CA, etc.  The 'what about Black people" defense that I keep hearing from the right wing (not saying you) in no way excuses the appalling talking points from influential right wing media and politicians.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Because the Gov't has done a bang up job helping them all these years.  That's why.

I see. So they don't trust the government. So people that don't trust the government have a good excuse not to get the vaccine. Excuse me, I mean black people that don't trust the government have a good excuse to get the vaccine. Because if not trusting the government was a white person's reason to not get it, he'd be a selfish anti-science anti-vaxxer that is putting other people's lives at risk. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I see. So they don't trust the government. So people that don't trust the government have a good excuse not to get the vaccine. Excuse me, I mean black people that don't trust the government have a good excuse to get the vaccine. Because if not trusting the government was a white person's reason to not get it, he'd be a selfish anti-science anti-vaxxer that is putting other people's lives at risk. 
    It's a bit different.  Black people were used as guinea pigs in experiments during parts of the 20th century.  So there's a culture of mistrust there that has some grounding.  However, I don't put a ton of credibility in this argument since white people are getting this.  It would be far more understandable if only Black people were being pushed to be vaccinated. 

As Michael Irvin aptly said "Man, if the gov't wanted you dead, you'd be dead by now.".  
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'm not claiming it's a monolith or there's one answer.  But you cannot deny the other data that shows vaccine hesitancy is far more prevalent in the Republican party than the Democratic party. There's also a very strong contingent of anti-vax highly liberal people in Oregon, CA, etc.  The 'what about Black people" defense that I keep hearing from the right wing (not saying you) in no way excuses the appalling talking points from influential right wing media and politicians.  

I don't disagree with that. I dunno, despite me being fully-vaccinated since February, I kind of see where the anti-vaxxers are coming from...UNLESS it's political. If you're just like "Biden wants me to get it so I won't," that's dumb. Those liberal people in Oregon and California that you mention, the 75% of black people I mentioned, or even Republicans that can think for themselves, that don't want to be vaccinated, I get where they're coming from. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    it's also a question of access, much like voting. marginalized communities have a MUCH harder time accessing social services, not to mention many of them just don't have the time, with lower income earners often working more than one job to support
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's a bit different.  Black people were used as guinea pigs in experiments during parts of the 20th century.  So there's a culture of mistrust there that has some grounding.  However, I don't put a ton of credibility in this argument since white people are getting this.  It would be far more understandable if only Black people were being pushed to be vaccinated. 

As Michael Irvin aptly said "Man, if the gov't wanted you dead, you'd be dead by now.".  
    Yeah I’ve seen people point to those experiments as a reason to not get vaccinated. And I agree with you, if it was only black people being pushed to get the vaccine, or if there was a different vaccine for them (for some hypothetical reason), that’d make sense. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah I’ve seen people point to those experiments as a reason to not get vaccinated. And I agree with you, if it was only black people being pushed to get the vaccine, or if there was a different vaccine for them (for some hypothetical reason), that’d make sense. 
    It will be tough to change some people's minds.  Are they less educated?  Who knows.  If things were done to you and your people in the past and you were brought up to not trust certain someone's then you listen and this is what you get.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    it's also a question of access, much like voting. marginalized communities have a MUCH harder time accessing social services, not to mention many of them just don't have the time, with lower income earners often working more than one job to support
    True, but all of these variables factor into the pandemic as a whole. The common rhetoric is ignoring this and pinpointing the blame on an insignificant portion of the human population. I just don’t see it as helpful to anyone’s psyche. Especially those who can’t fight the urge to piss into the wind and ultimately let the actions of others control them.
    FiveBelow said:
    True, but all of these variables factor into the pandemic as a whole. The common rhetoric is ignoring this and pinpointing the blame on an insignificant portion of the human population. I just don’t see it as helpful to anyone’s psyche. Especially those who can’t fight the urge to piss into the wind and ultimately let the actions of others control them.
    It's not insignificant in this country, where we live.  I'm not concerned about Uzbekistan's vax rate or hesitancy at the moment.  Talking about our population against the world isn't really relevant.  
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    The usa seems to be the only place a vaccine is political.  Work that one out
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Pretty easy math there. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,303
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

For fucks sake because the US government conducted medical experiments on black military personnel and covered it up. Just a short 60-70 years ago. That 400 years of oppression went deep, long and continues on so many levels.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    It's not insignificant in this country, where we live.  I'm not concerned about Uzbekistan's vax rate or hesitancy at the moment.  Talking about our population against the world isn't really relevant.  
    I guess I am just not on team "America First". My world view is not limited to the borders in which I am confined. Covid isn't either, as evidenced by Delta.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    That isn’t actually accurate. Covid and the vaccine are hugely political in Brazil, for instance, and a number of other countries. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2021
    So what do you feel drives the anti-vaccine crowd in your country and others?  There have been large anti-vaccine protests almost everywhere.  
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    I guess I am just not on team "America First". My world view is not limited to the borders in which I am confined. Covid isn't either, as evidenced by Delta.

I think it's perfectly natural to look at your own community before looking outwardly. this isn't comparable to "america first", I don't think. I'm more concerned about my own country in this context, however it's impossible to escape the american side of it, but I have no clue how any tiny country anywhere in the world is doing. 

www.headstonesband.com

FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

Eye roll. We control our region.  If everyone controls their region,  it will cease to become a pandemic and move to a regional epidemic.  None of us have any influence on Uzbekistany leaders or media.  We have influence here.  So to act like Uzbek and Khazak mean the same to us here as Florida and Texas,  well that's just silly. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    edited August 2021
    PJPOWER said:
    So what do you feel drives the anti-vaccine crowd in your country and others?  There have been large anti-vaccine protests almost everywhere.  
    Its the fear of side effects  purely . Uk anyway.  People  spreading  misinformation.  The internet  warriors. 
    Poison  and  rushed. That kind of utter shit
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    True religious exemptions should be vanishingly rare, since none of the major world religions are anti-vaccination. Christian Scientists (and what a misnomer that is) believe only in healing by prayer, and some small Christian evangelical churches believe only in faith healing, but that’s about it. Even religious cultural groups like the Amish aren’t anti-vaccination in their basic teachings, though some sects may go that way. The use of “religious exemption” is basically a cloak for personal beliefs, which can be swayed by a number of factors beyond religion. 
    The Hasidic population here in NY do not have religious exemptions they just choose not to do them.  They have their own schools, police and fire dept and sometimes hospitals so they don't bother with getting any vaccinations as they govern themselves and do not want to be told how to live.
    They don't really have their own police. They are extremely reluctant to go to the usual police forces, they heavily self-police due to their many cultural rules, and if they find that someone has broken one of their rules they have religious committees that can impose a type of penance, but it's not like they're out there investigating crimes. 

But yes, vaccine mandates will have little sway in this community as there is little of the outside world's services that they want to access. They are also an interesting example of ignorance of the facts (used in a non-pejorative sense) - ultra-orthodox Jews are allowed so little access to information of the outside world that many remain unaware of most of the information about the pandemic that the rest of us take for granted. It's not surprising that they have reacted as they have.
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

Eye roll. We control our region.  If everyone controls their region,  it will cease to become a pandemic and move to a regional epidemic.  None of us have any influence on Uzbekistany leaders or media.  We have influence here.  So to act like Uzbek and Khazak mean the same to us here as Florida and Texas,  well that's just silly. 
    Phew, I guess the current dominant strain and breakthrough cases stemming from another regions fight is nothing to fret. Let’s just hope the next one doesn’t lessen our current vaccine efficacy even more. Silly, I know. So back to my initial point. Do you think the message that was posted is beneficial in “controlling” our region? I mean, I guess if beating someone into submission is your thing then by all means continue. I just find it counterproductive.
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

I think it's perfectly natural to look at your own community before looking outwardly. this isn't comparable to "america first", I don't think. I'm more concerned about my own country in this context, however it's impossible to escape the american side of it, but I have no clue how any tiny country anywhere in the world is doing. 
    In most cases I would assume much worse. Not only is that concerning for their populations, we have seen that it can also greatly affect the rest of the world.
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

Phew, I guess the current dominant strain and breakthrough cases stemming from another regions fight is nothing to fret. Let’s just hope the next one doesn’t lessen our current vaccine efficacy even more. Silly, I know. So back to my initial point. Do you think the message that was posted is beneficial in “controlling” our region? I mean, I guess if beating someone into submission is your thing then by all means continue. I just find it counterproductive.
    I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make here. What message?
    They don't really have their own police. They are extremely reluctant to go to the usual police forces, they heavily self-police due to their many cultural rules, and if they find that someone has broken one of their rules they have religious committees that can impose a type of penance, but it's not like they're out there investigating crimes. 

But yes, vaccine mandates will have little sway in this community as there is little of the outside world's services that they want to access. They are also an interesting example of ignorance of the facts (used in a non-pejorative sense) - ultra-orthodox Jews are allowed so little access to information of the outside world that many remain unaware of most of the information about the pandemic that the rest of us take for granted. It's not surprising that they have reacted as they have.
    Self police=Their own police.  I see them.  They put blue lights on their Toyotas and run lights around the communities.  It is something to see to believe.

Yes they are almost completely shielded from the outside world.  They had a polio outbreak here in NYC not too long ago.  It's amazing to me to go on in life with not a care really to what is happening everywhere else.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,931
    edited August 2021
    Gavin Newsom just announced that all (California) teachers and school employees must be vaccinated or be tested weekly. I'm sure the last thing he wants to do right now is close the schools again.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

My point being, we have proof that other regions contribute directly to our situation with absolutely no influence from the US. Our region is not responsible for the Delta variant but it is now the dominant strain. Knowing this, I choose not to focus solely on what we are doing because it is not that simple. The fuck you "message" was a social media grab from CM that I originally commented on. The rant blaming the current state of the pandemic solely on unvaccinated americans, as if the US is the only dog in the fight against covid.
    edited August 2021

Self police=Their own police.  I see them.  They put blue lights on their Toyotas and run lights around the communities.  It is something to see to believe.

Yes they are almost completely shielded from the outside world.  They had a polio outbreak here in NYC not too long ago.  It's amazing to me to go on in life with not a care really to what is happening everywhere else.

I didn't mean self-police literally, though I can see it came across that way; more like intensive community pressure to "do the right thing" and shaming if you do not.

I can not imagine living life in a way that is so insular and uninterested in the wider world. 
    edited August 2021
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FiveBelow said:

My point being, we have proof that other regions contribute directly to our situation with absolutely no influence from the US. Our region is not responsible for the Delta variant but it is now the dominant strain. Knowing this, I choose not to focus solely on what we are doing because it is not that simple. The fuck you "message" was a social media grab from CM that I originally commented on. The rant blaming the current state of the pandemic solely on unvaccinated americans, as if the US is the only dog in the fight against covid.
    edit: to put it simply, he's blaming unvaccinated americans for the current state of the pandemic in america, which, in my folks minds, is true. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.