Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Yep....and this is why I got the vaccine without hesitation. I knew it was inevitable that you'd need one to enter something like this. Otherwise, I may not have gotten the vaccine yet. I mean, it doesn't prevent you from spreading it, which was my main COVID concern pre-vaccine (that I'd possibly infect my 73-year-old father or 90-year-old grandmother). It's not FDA-approved like every other vaccine I've ever gotten. I understand the hesitation or even flat-out refusal some people have about it. But I want to see Pearl Jam. And because of that, I was fully vaccinated by February 2021. For a while, I at least took solace in knowing that if I caught the virus, having been vaccinated, I'd be fine. But my friend who is vaccinated caught COVID last week and had to go to the ER. So who the hell knows...
    I realize most people here will think I am joking or trolling, but the fact of the matter is I am feeling this same way.  My wife's work is talking about mandating it and frankly I am afraid by the time we board a plane this Christmas that I will need to show proof.

When talking with my wife about it, I suggest the J&J shot.  One shot.  Not mRNA.  Seems to be the best route for us.  Obviously, we will wait as long as we possibly can before doing anything, but what is the consensus of the board on which one to get?

Also, one question I have had is all of these places are showing proof of being "fully" vaccinated.  What exactly does that mean?  Two years from now if two additional boosters are required, does that make it "fully"?  If so, when will this cycle stop?

Never.  The cycle never stops.

Vaccine have been required for years.  Enforcement will become more efficient.

Deal with it.  
    And you are ok with this?  That's what I do not understand with the majority of the people here.  All of you are vaccinated yet this seems to be in a never ending cycle of power and control by your government.  And that seems to be fine.  Why?  The message has changed more in the past year than I change my underwear.  Why are y'all not sick of it?  
    No, the crazy ass part is that you think this is about power and control by the gov't.  That's the insane conclusion.  
    Then how else do you explain it?  Please, enlighten me.

jfc - explain what?!

get the vaccine, pandemic ends

A -> B
    I guess when your beliefs are:

1. It's a hoax
    2. It's just a flu
    3. No one has actually died, only people on motorcycles 
    4. The vaccine doesn't work
    5. Herd immunity is the only way (even though the virus is fake)
    6. The vaccine is worse than the disease

then the only 'sane' conclusion is that it's gov't control.  However, when your starting point and assumptions are faulty and insane, your conclusion is bound to be insane too. 
    #3 made me laugh out loud.
  • mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Yep....and this is why I got the vaccine without hesitation. I knew it was inevitable that you'd need one to enter something like this. Otherwise, I may not have gotten the vaccine yet. I mean, it doesn't prevent you from spreading it, which was my main COVID concern pre-vaccine (that I'd possibly infect my 73-year-old father or 90-year-old grandmother). It's not FDA-approved like every other vaccine I've ever gotten. I understand the hesitation or even flat-out refusal some people have about it. But I want to see Pearl Jam. And because of that, I was fully vaccinated by February 2021. For a while, I at least took solace in knowing that if I caught the virus, having been vaccinated, I'd be fine. But my friend who is vaccinated caught COVID last week and had to go to the ER. So who the hell knows...
    I realize most people here will think I am joking or trolling, but the fact of the matter is I am feeling this same way.  My wife's work is talking about mandating it and frankly I am afraid by the time we board a plane this Christmas that I will need to show proof.

When talking with my wife about it, I suggest the J&J shot.  One shot.  Not mRNA.  Seems to be the best route for us.  Obviously, we will wait as long as we possibly can before doing anything, but what is the consensus of the board on which one to get?

Also, one question I have had is all of these places are showing proof of being "fully" vaccinated.  What exactly does that mean?  Two years from now if two additional boosters are required, does that make it "fully"?  If so, when will this cycle stop?

Deal with it.  
    And you are ok with this?  That's what I do not understand with the majority of the people here.  All of you are vaccinated yet this seems to be in a never ending cycle of power and control by your government.  And that seems to be fine.  Why?  The message has changed more in the past year than I change my underwear.  Why are y'all not sick of it?  
    No, the crazy ass part is that you think this is about power and control by the gov't.  That's the insane conclusion.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B

1. It's a hoax
    2. It's just a flu

then the only 'sane' conclusion is that it's gov't control.  However, when your starting point and assumptions are faulty and insane, your conclusion is bound to be insane too. 
    1. It's a hoax - False.  Never said that.
    2. It's just a flu - More like the common cold for most people.
    3. No one has actually died, only people on motorcycles - Never said that, only wondered why they counted as covid deaths
    4. The vaccine doesn't work - Still debatable
    5. Herd immunity is the only way (even though the virus is fake) - Still feel this way and as I mentioned in another post and got no responses, whatever happened to natural immunity?  Weird that never gets talked about anymore.
    6. The vaccine is worse than the disease - Maybe?
  • Y'all paying attention yet?

https://www.newsweek.com/lambda-vs-delta-covid-variant-what-we-know-so-far-about-different-strains-1616167?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1628087714

Lambda vs. Delta COVID Variant: What We Know So Far About the Different Strains

Like the Delta variant, Lambda is highly infectious and thought to be more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus. Though much remains unknown about the strain, there have been some alarming characteristics detected by researchers.

At the moment, the Lambda variant has been mainly spreading through South America after first being identified in Peru in August 2020, but cases have been seen in Texas and South Carolina. Fewer than 700 cases of the Lambda variant have been sequenced in the U.S. out of more than 34 million coronavirus reported cases, according to one estimate. However, the U.S. has only sequenced a small amount of its cases, so the actual number of cases associated with the strain may be much higher.

Y'all paying attention yet?

https://www.newsweek.com/lambda-vs-delta-covid-variant-what-we-know-so-far-about-different-strains-1616167?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1628087714

Like the Delta variant, Lambda is highly infectious and thought to be more resistant to vaccines than the original version of the virus. Though much remains unknown about the strain, there have been some alarming characteristics detected by researchers.

At the moment, the Lambda variant has been mainly spreading through South America after first being identified in Peru in August 2020, but cases have been seen in Texas and South Carolina. Fewer than 700 cases of the Lambda variant have been sequenced in the U.S. out of more than 34 million coronavirus reported cases, according to one estimate. However, the U.S. has only sequenced a small amount of its cases, so the actual number of cases associated with the strain may be much higher.

Yep, you'll need a booster for that one too.
    And a vaccine card.
    You'll get over it.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    CM189191 said:

And a vaccine card.
    You'll get over it.
    Or die or lose a family  member
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    CM189191 said:

And a vaccine card.
    You'll get over it.
    Your  choice clever  lad
    At this point this  guy will find out the  hard way. Nevermind
    Imagine wishing ill on someone who has chosen not to get the vaccine.  I have never wished ill on anyone who has taken the vaccine, yet the vitriol I receive here is next level.
    I wish no ill. Im saying you  will find out. Im seeing  in front  of my eyes here. Believe  me or not. Your choice.  Live long my friend.  Love to you and your ill informed belief 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B
    The vaccine doesn't stop COVID from spreading and never will. This pandemic will never end until we(and the government) look at it the same way we do the flu. We have vaccines for the flu as well but it will never go away. Vaccination against the flu started back in the 1930's and thousands of people still die from it every year. The vaccine does help reduce the amount of cases but there is no bulletproof solution.

The flu still mutates and some years are worse than others. COVID is new so our bodies are still processing how to deal with it and will for a very long time.

To say "get the vaccine, pandemic ends" is a false and ignorant statement.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B

1. It's a hoax
    2. It's just a flu

1. It's a hoax - False.  Never said that.
    2. It's just a flu - More like the common cold for most people.
    3. No one has actually died, only people on motorcycles - Never said that, only wondered why they counted as covid deaths
    4. The vaccine doesn't work - Still debatable
    5. Herd immunity is the only way (even though the virus is fake) - Still feel this way and as I mentioned in another post and got no responses, whatever happened to natural immunity?  Weird that never gets talked about anymore.
    6. The vaccine is worse than the disease - Maybe?
    4 is not debtable. it works better than most vaccines for respiratory illnesses. 
    5 it does get talked about. it has been widely reported that, while we don't know exactly how long natural immunity lasts, it's not long in many case. people have been reinfected 6 months later. vaccine immunity lasts much longer. 
    6 it's preposterous you even consider this. deaths by covid: millions. deaths by vaccine: I believe the number is like, 6?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

because my premier is a fucking buffoon. 

www.headstonesband.com

At this point  i will pass the baton Olympic  style to the next person to take the bait. Im advanced . Im the first man to shit in my corduroy pants.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

JB16057 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B
    The vaccine doesn't stop COVID from spreading and never will. This pandemic will never end until we(and the government) look at it the same way we do the flu. We have vaccines for the flu as well but it will never go away. Vaccination against the flu started back in the 1930's and thousands of people still die from it every year. The vaccine does help reduce the amount of cases but there is no bulletproof solution.

The flu still mutates and some years are worse than others. COVID is new so our bodies are still processing how to deal with it and will for a very long time.

incorrect. when the virus is under control and it gets downgraded from a worldwide health emergency to a regional one, it goes from pandemic to endemic. 

pandemic ending is not equal to the virus being eradicated. 

www.headstonesband.com

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    At this point  i will pass the baton Olympic  style to the next person to take the bait. Im advanced . Im the first man to shit in my corduroy pants.
    Bait, fish, boom!
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B

incorrect. when the virus is under control and it gets downgraded from a worldwide health emergency to a regional one, it goes from pandemic to endemic. 

OK but getting the vaccine does not mean getting this virus under control. We are going to be dealing with this for years. I stand by what I said, "This pandemic will never end until we(and the government) look at it the same way we do the flu."
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B

OK but getting the vaccine does not mean getting this virus under control. We are going to be dealing with this for years. I stand by what I said, "This pandemic will never end until we(and the government) look at it the same way we do the flu."
    yes, it does. vaccines and public health measures equals ending the pandemic. but we are still going to be dealing with this for years.

both are true. 

www.headstonesband.com

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2021
    I do not wish for anyone to get ill.  At this point, though, if someone is able to get the vaccine and refuses (adult with no medical reasons not to), then I have little sympathy for them if they catch a bad case of it.   
    Nothing annoys me more than reading comments on articles from people that cannot spell on a 5th grade level say that they “have researched everything” and are attempting to disprove the doctors.  
    It’s very akin to the flat-Earther type of ignorance that’s out there.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    CM189191 said:

And a vaccine card.
    You'll get over it.
    Your  choice clever  lad
    At this point this  guy will find out the  hard way. Nevermind
    Imagine wishing ill on someone who has chosen not to get the vaccine.  I have never wished ill on anyone who has taken the vaccine, yet the vitriol I receive here is next level.
    People who choose not to get the vaccine are literally threatening the lives of everyone around them

People. Are. Dying.

Mandatory vaccines now.
    You don't like it? Enjoy delivery grocery, working from home, and your basement gym until further notice.
  • Here is a good one from the CDC.  How come we never distinguished between FOR and WITH before the vaccine?   

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,301
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B
    That is funny.  More like -

End lockdowns masking when you get the vaccine
    Get the vaccine
    Masking and restrictions increase
    Take a booster
    Take a pill (Imagine ivermectin or hydroxychlorquine with a bigger price tag)

How about Fauci saying the way out of this is not the vaccines...  Golly Gee, that would have been nice to know months ago, right?

https://www.csis.org/analysis/conversation-dr-anthony-fauci-antiviral-program-pandemics

Dr. Fauci: Well, thank you very much, Steve, for that introduction, which was really quite good, about where we stand with all of this.

But let me start by saying that this pandemic is 20 months old. And, in fact, medications have been a priority all along. But when you had to move very quickly, we really had to focus on the medications for the most people in dire need, and namely the hospitalized patients, people who were advanced in their disease. And we had to look at repurposed medications.

You mentioned quite correctly that monoclonal antibodies turned out to be an early success. But they have their vulnerabilities, particularly when you deal with the variants that we’ve had to face.

But the approach that we are taking right now is really what we call a two-tiered approach, two fundamental pillars. And the fundamental pillars address what you had alluded to in that the drugs that are already out there, the molnupiravir, the protease inhibitor, the Atea-Roche product, and even others that have not gotten as much visibility but are still somewhere along the early pipeline.

Dr. Fauci: Yes. I don’t know whether it’s going to be the home run that we got with HIV when we, in 1996 – the transforming year when we had the triple combination and we went from modest suppressant of virus to complete durable suppression of virus with HIV, which totally changed the landscape. But you know, I want some of the listeners if not all of them – because I know many of them already appreciated it – why it’s so important and a bit different than what we faced with HIV, Steve. And the reason is with HIV we’re talking about lifelong therapy for an individual to keep the virus suppressed to below detectable, to get the person to return to some form of normality. And we have been spectacularly successful.

We’re looking at a different type of a profile now. We’re looking at an orally administered maybe seven to 10 days, given to person who is early on in the course of their infection before you get to the cascade of events that lead to the aberrant activation, inflammatory response that kills people, because we know now from a lot of experience with the care of these individuals that if you can keep that virus from going to the upper airway, from going down into the lung and other organ systems, you can change what can be a devastating disease and make it an upper airway common cold type approach, which is really what we need to do. We only need to knock out that virus for about seven to 10 days, rather than lifelong, what we have to do with HIV.

Dr. Morrison: Thank you.

Now, tell us a bit about what you see as the ideal or optimal product profile. What does a product have to look like in order to be a winner in your view, when you take into consideration use, equity considerations, access? What are you telling people is the optimal profile?

Dr. Fauci: OK. The optimal profile – we’re comfortable with this, because we’ve developed product profiles for so many other drugs, including with HIV. So, first of all, I want a pill that blocks a specific viral function. I want to give it once a day if possible. I want it to be low in toxicity. And I want it to have very minimal drug-drug interactions. So orally administered, single pill, given for seven to 10 days, little drug-drug interaction, and low toxicity; give me that and I’ll be really happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkMhqswIc20&t=107s

What's the definition of "mis-information" or "dis-information" again? FauciOuchi?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

Yes, I'm ok with this.  What I'm sick of is people who have no idea what they hell they're talking about, continuing to spew misinformation under the guise of 'I'm just asking questions'

There's a huge logical leap from 'get the damn shot' to 'never ending cycle of power and control by the government'

The message has always been: masks, vaccines and social distancing will stop the pandemic.
    Particularly coming from an admitted POOTWH voter, who, along with Fucker Carlson and the faux news minions, embrace authoritarians and rather the USA look more like Hungary and Russia, Russia, Russia than, well, the USA, with all those colored and gay folk running around.
    Speaking of "colored folk" as you call them, has anyone seen any vaccination numbers for them?  Asking for a friend.

I am told it is nothing but country bumpkin, truck nut having, American flag waving, MAGA hat wearing peoples that refuse the shot.
    Ever hear of Tuskegee? What's your excuse? To the bold, who told you that? More FauciOuchi? On the heels of claiming someone wished death upon you. You, kind sir, are on a roll.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

Yes, I'm ok with this.  What I'm sick of is people who have no idea what they hell they're talking about, continuing to spew misinformation under the guise of 'I'm just asking questions'

There's a huge logical leap from 'get the damn shot' to 'never ending cycle of power and control by the government'

The message has always been: masks, vaccines and social distancing will stop the pandemic.
    Particularly coming from an admitted POOTWH voter, who, along with Fucker Carlson and the faux news minions, embrace authoritarians and rather the USA look more like Hungary and Russia, Russia, Russia than, well, the USA, with all those colored and gay folk running around.
    Speaking of "colored folk" as you call them, has anyone seen any vaccination numbers for them?  Asking for a friend.

I am told it is nothing but country bumpkin, truck nut having, American flag waving, MAGA hat wearing peoples that refuse the shot.
    Ever hear of Tuskegee? What's your excuse? To the bold, who told you that? More FauciOuchi? On the heels of claiming someone wished death upon you. You, kind sir, are on a roll.
    Minorities are known for not getting vaccinated.

If that is what he means?  I'm not sure.

More than
    people have died from coronavirus in the U.S.

In the past week in Tennessee...

New daily reported cases rose 66.2% 

New daily reported deaths stayed about the same

Covid-related hospitalizations rose 58.8% Read more

Among reported tests, the positivity rate was 16.7%.

The number of tests reported rose 52.6%  from the previous week.Read more

Since Dec. 14, more than 5,792,000 doses of a coronavirus vaccine have been administered in Tennessee.

More than 2,680,000 people have completed vaccination, or about 39.25% of the population. Read more about Tennessee’s vaccination strategy in our vaccination tracker.

New deaths reported per day in Tennessee

Deaths

At least 12,774 have been reported since Feb. 29, 2020.

Meh, on Monday there were only 26.

Brilliantati©
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Question.

Is the covid shot an actual vaccine by the definition?  I'm asking scholars and medical professionals.

My understanding of the word is that it's not an actual vaccine because it should offer immunity if it was.

Or screw it, it's a damn vaccine and stop worrying about it?
    What do you mean by “offer immunity”? Do you mean 100% effective? Because no vaccine offers that. Or do you mean something else?
    mrussel1 said:
    Question.

Is the covid shot an actual vaccine by the definition?  I'm asking scholars and medical professionals.

My understanding of the word is that it's not an actual vaccine because it should offer immunity if it was.

Or screw it, it's a damn vaccine and stop worrying about it?
    I don't know if this is why you're asking, but this is the latest bs that is going around.  Saying that it's not a vaccine because immunity is not in perpetuity.  A vaccine is somethign that stimulates the body to create an antibody to respond to a disease.  So to quash this before it gets going any further.. From the CDC:

Immunity: Protection from an infectious disease. If you are immune to a disease, you can be exposed to it without becoming infected.

Vaccine: A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections, but can also be administered by mouth or sprayed into the nose.

Vaccination: The act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease.

Immunization: A process by which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination. This term is often used interchangeably with vaccination or inoculation.

TY both.

My understanding of it was a vaccine was 100% effective, full immunity.  It is not.  Got it.

Is a disease the same as a virus?  If a vaccine works for a disease like mentioned above is it the same for a virus?

The other part is the underground conspiracy freaks brought it up and it didn't make sense to how they described it.  You need to pay attention to the crazies and see what they are cooking.

I want to fully understand the wording.  

Thanks
    “Disease” is a general term for some sort of abnormal functioning of the body. Diseases can be infectious or non-infectious, and each category has many different causes. 

For infectious diseases the causative agent can be bacterial, viral, parasitic, or fungal (and again, lots of different types of each).

Vaccines are developed for infectious diseases generally, though there are some vaccines for other diseases involving the immune system, like some cancers and autoimmune conditions. 

Out of the current vaccines for infectious agents, most are for viral or bacterial pathogens. Meningitis and diphtheria, for instance, are bacterial whereas Hepatitis A and B are viral. 

There are also several different proven ways to make vaccines.

In all cases, a vaccine is designed to prompt the immune system to mount an immune response, which includes making antibodies but also other reactions, so that when the infectious agent is detected it can be dealt with more  quickly and effectively. No vaccine ever is 100% effective, for lots of reasons, including the fact that much depends on how well the body’s immune system reacts. 

The COVID vaccines available in the US and Canada are considered very effective, in the grand scheme of vaccines. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    PJPOWER said:
    He's obviously a govt agent that wants to control you
    Its pointless at this stage.. do it or dont. The time for talk is well  over  and too late
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    He's obviously a govt agent that wants to control you
    Damn, “she” hid it so well over all these years, lol
  • Coming for a country near you...

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/israels-covid-cabinet-contemplating-lockdown-in-2-weeks-report-675848

BREAKING NEWS

Israel's COVID cabinet contemplating lockdown in 2 weeks - report

The possibility of imposing a lockdown in two weeks' time was discussed in Israel's corona cabinet, Channel 13 reported on Wednesday evening.
    Construction and Housing Minister Ze'ev Elkin is reportedly in favor of the move, as infection models have predicted a lockdown will be necessary in any case by September.
    It is also reported that officials in the Health Ministry are supportive of a lockdown, in order to motivate Israelis who have not yet received a third vaccine dose to get the jab.
    Oh my! There go my freedumbs! Did I wake up in Chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiina?

Dear Members of the Campus Community:

Here are this week’s five things you need to know about Fordham’s COVID-19 precautions, vaccinations, and University operations (You can read the State of New York’s most recent COVID-19 guidelines on its Novel Coronavirus page):

• In the last 14 days, 5 members of the University community tested positive for COVID-19, a positivity rate of 4.85% of 103 tests administered, as listed on the University dashboard.
    • As of September 1, no unvaccinated student or employee will be allowed on campus unless they have received an official accommodation from the University. Employees who have not provided proof of vaccination nor requested an accommodation will be placed on an unpaid leave of absence without benefits for the fall semester as of September 1. fordham.edu/hr
    • The University will continue its policy of admitting only faculty, students, and staff at indoor gatherings, events, performances and meetings through the fall semester. Alumni, parents, and their guests may attend outdoor events with proof of vaccination. Guest speakers and performers will be allowed on campus in very limited numbers for specific events, if they provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination.
    • Individuals should be tested for COVID-19 within 3 to 5 days following international travel or following exposure to anyone infected with COVID-19, even if you are asymptomatic. Exposed individuals should also wear a mask in public indoor spaces for 14 days, or until testing negative for the virus. Anyone having COVID-19 symptoms should stay home, avoid contact with other people, and get tested.
    • As of Monday, August 2, the University requires all unvaccinated individuals to wear masks indoors, and in any public space on campus. The University recommends fully vaccinated individuals wear masks indoors while on campus.

For more information, please see the COVID-19 Guidelines on the web. Every issue of Five Things is archived here on our news site.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.