Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Question.

Is the covid shot an actual vaccine by the definition?  I'm asking scholars and medical professionals.

My understanding of the word is that it's not an actual vaccine because it should offer immunity if it was.

Or screw it, it's a damn vaccine and stop worrying about it?
    What do you mean by “offer immunity”? Do you mean 100% effective? Because no vaccine offers that. Or do you mean something else?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Question.

Is the covid shot an actual vaccine by the definition?  I'm asking scholars and medical professionals.

My understanding of the word is that it's not an actual vaccine because it should offer immunity if it was.

I don't know if this is why you're asking, but this is the latest bs that is going around.  Saying that it's not a vaccine because immunity is not in perpetuity.  A vaccine is somethign that stimulates the body to create an antibody to respond to a disease.  So to quash this before it gets going any further.. From the CDC:

Immunity: Protection from an infectious disease. If you are immune to a disease, you can be exposed to it without becoming infected.

Vaccine: A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections, but can also be administered by mouth or sprayed into the nose.

Vaccination: The act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease.

Immunization: A process by which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination. This term is often used interchangeably with vaccination or inoculation.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited August 2021

Yep....and this is why I got the vaccine without hesitation. I knew it was inevitable that you'd need one to enter something like this. Otherwise, I may not have gotten the vaccine yet. I mean, it doesn't prevent you from spreading it, which was my main COVID concern pre-vaccine (that I'd possibly infect my 73-year-old father or 90-year-old grandmother). It's not FDA-approved like every other vaccine I've ever gotten. I understand the hesitation or even flat-out refusal some people have about it. But I want to see Pearl Jam. And because of that, I was fully vaccinated by February 2021. For a while, I at least took solace in knowing that if I caught the virus, having been vaccinated, I'd be fine. But my friend who is vaccinated caught COVID last week and had to go to the ER. So who the hell knows...
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

• Yep....and this is why I got the vaccine without hesitation. I knew it was inevitable that you'd need one to enter something like this. Otherwise, I may not have gotten the vaccine yet. I mean, it doesn't prevent you from spreading it, which was my main COVID concern pre-vaccine (that I'd possibly infect my 73-year-old father or 90-year-old grandmother). It's not FDA-approved like every other vaccine I've ever gotten. I understand the hesitation or even flat-out refusal some people have about it. But I want to see Pearl Jam. And because of that, I was fully vaccinated by February 2021. For a while, I at least took solace in knowing that if I caught the virus, having been vaccinated, I'd be fine. But my friend who is vaccinated caught COVID last week and had to go to the ER. So who the hell knows...
    I realize most people here will think I am joking or trolling, but the fact of the matter is I am feeling this same way.  My wife's work is talking about mandating it and frankly I am afraid by the time we board a plane this Christmas that I will need to show proof.

When talking with my wife about it, I suggest the J&J shot.  One shot.  Not mRNA.  Seems to be the best route for us.  Obviously, we will wait as long as we possibly can before doing anything, but what is the consensus of the board on which one to get?

Also, one question I have had is all of these places are showing proof of being "fully" vaccinated.  What exactly does that mean?  Two years from now if two additional boosters are required, does that make it "fully"?  If so, when will this cycle stop?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    Question.

What do you mean by “offer immunity”? Do you mean 100% effective? Because no vaccine offers that. Or do you mean something else?
    mrussel1 said:
    Question.

I don't know if this is why you're asking, but this is the latest bs that is going around.  Saying that it's not a vaccine because immunity is not in perpetuity.  A vaccine is somethign that stimulates the body to create an antibody to respond to a disease.  So to quash this before it gets going any further.. From the CDC:

Immunity: Protection from an infectious disease. If you are immune to a disease, you can be exposed to it without becoming infected.

Vaccine: A product that stimulates a person’s immune system to produce immunity to a specific disease, protecting the person from that disease. Vaccines are usually administered through needle injections, but can also be administered by mouth or sprayed into the nose.

Vaccination: The act of introducing a vaccine into the body to produce immunity to a specific disease.

Immunization: A process by which a person becomes protected against a disease through vaccination. This term is often used interchangeably with vaccination or inoculation.

TY both.

My understanding of it was a vaccine was 100% effective, full immunity.  It is not.  Got it.

Is a disease the same as a virus?  If a vaccine works for a disease like mentioned above is it the same for a virus?

The other part is the underground conspiracy freaks brought it up and it didn't make sense to how they described it.  You need to pay attention to the crazies and see what they are cooking.

I want to fully understand the wording.  

Thanks
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    I’d really like to know what went on at that Winnipeg lab where 2 Chinese scientist with ties to the CCP were fired and disappeared back to China?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/winnipeg-china-links-otoole-motion-1.6048492

And what is Trudeau the man with a plan (I’m told that here by his minions) hiding?  Afterall he his suing the speaker of the house a member of his own party, so Canadians don’t find out what the Chinese stole and were up to…hmmm

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/commons-speaker-intends-to-ask-court-to-strike-down-government-lawsuit-challenging-parliaments-right-to-know

Perhaps this dude is better suited hanging out in Whistler than being PM.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839

Yep....and this is why I got the vaccine without hesitation. I knew it was inevitable that you'd need one to enter something like this. Otherwise, I may not have gotten the vaccine yet. I mean, it doesn't prevent you from spreading it, which was my main COVID concern pre-vaccine (that I'd possibly infect my 73-year-old father or 90-year-old grandmother). It's not FDA-approved like every other vaccine I've ever gotten. I understand the hesitation or even flat-out refusal some people have about it. But I want to see Pearl Jam. And because of that, I was fully vaccinated by February 2021. For a while, I at least took solace in knowing that if I caught the virus, having been vaccinated, I'd be fine. But my friend who is vaccinated caught COVID last week and had to go to the ER. So who the hell knows...
    I realize most people here will think I am joking or trolling, but the fact of the matter is I am feeling this same way.  My wife's work is talking about mandating it and frankly I am afraid by the time we board a plane this Christmas that I will need to show proof.

When talking with my wife about it, I suggest the J&J shot.  One shot.  Not mRNA.  Seems to be the best route for us.  Obviously, we will wait as long as we possibly can before doing anything, but what is the consensus of the board on which one to get?

Also, one question I have had is all of these places are showing proof of being "fully" vaccinated.  What exactly does that mean?  Two years from now if two additional boosters are required, does that make it "fully"?  If so, when will this cycle stop?
    The part I bolded is what I'm curious about too. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Trudeau had such a great plan that he underfunded and failed to fill a key position in Canada 🇨🇦 pandemic early response system…

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/global-pandemic-early-warning-1.6098988

Could you imagine how much worse it could have been without a plan.

Maybe Trudeau consulted our defence minister Sajjan…he was the chief architect of d day…(inside Canadian joke with clown).
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

Never.  The cycle never stops.

Vaccine have been required for years.  Enforcement will become more efficient.

Deal with it.  
  • Costco to require all employees to wear masks starting tomorrow. 
    I started wearing a KN95 again a couple of weeks ago so It changes nothing for me. I wonder if they will eventually require the members wear them too. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    edited August 2021

Based on the data, including the new delta variant. The Pfizer and Moderna are the most effective and 2 doses definitely better than 1.  Almost 20% better it seems.  

If I were choosing today (I already got Pfizer), in order of preference I would pick 1) Pfizer (2 shots) 2) Moderna (2 shots) 3) J&J if that's all that was available.

And I wouldn't wait.

Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    edited August 2021

Based on the data, including the new delta variant. The Pfizer and Moderna are the most effective and 2 doses definitely better than 1.  Almost 20% better it seems.  

If I were choosing today (I already got Pfizer), in order of preference I would pick 1) Pfizer (2 shots) 2) Moderna (2 shots) 3) J&J if that's all that was available.

And I wouldn't wait.

Yes the mixing and waiting longer to get the 2nd shot said that it worked much better.  It was posted in an article on here pages back.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  
    And you are ok with this?  That's what I do not understand with the majority of the people here.  All of you are vaccinated yet this seems to be in a never ending cycle of power and control by your government.  And that seems to be fine.  Why?  The message has changed more in the past year than I change my underwear.  Why are y'all not sick of it?  
  • gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    edited August 2021

And I wouldn't wait.

Thanks for your input!
    Post edited by Kat on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,332
    edited August 2021

And I wouldn't wait.

Yes the mixing and waiting longer to get the 2nd shot said that it worked much better.  It was posted in an article on here pages back.
    I actually made a typo...I meant get 2 shots of Pfizer.  But the mixing and waiting is interesting...but 2 shots during the current time frame is still extremely effective.  I'll edit it

Post edited by Kat on
    hippiemom = goodness
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  
    And you are ok with this?  That's what I do not understand with the majority of the people here.  All of you are vaccinated yet this seems to be in a never ending cycle of power and control by your government.  And that seems to be fine.  Why?  The message has changed more in the past year than I change my underwear.  Why are y'all not sick of it?  
    No, the crazy ass part is that you think this is about power and control by the gov't.  That's the insane conclusion.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  
    No, the crazy ass part is that you think this is about power and control by the gov't.  That's the insane conclusion.  
    Then how else do you explain it?  Please, enlighten me.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    Ffs you couldn't  make  this up. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

Yes, I'm ok with this.  What I'm sick of is people who have no idea what they hell they're talking about, continuing to spew misinformation under the guise of 'I'm just asking questions'

There's a huge logical leap from 'get the damn shot' to 'never ending cycle of power and control by the government'

The message has always been: masks, vaccines and social distancing will stop the pandemic.
  • Ffs you couldn't  make  this up. 

:lol:   That is almost exactly what I was thinking.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

get the vaccine, pandemic ends

A -> B
    Ok perspective here on delta. My good friend a neighbour.  Is in intensive care right now minutes  from being ventilated Double vaccinated. He is 70. Him and his wife both survived  cancer. My father in law . Double vaccinated.  Been very ill 10 days now.
    Shit is real. Get 2 vaccines.   Im sick of all this shit talk.  Just listen. This has changed. If you want to hear it or not.  WiTH vaccine  shit is bad. Without. Well you are just stupid
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Ive had posts  deleted and nearly  got banned for speaking up against  this absolute shit that gets written here. Please listen .  Or don't 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B
    I guess when your beliefs are:

1. It's a hoax
    2. It's just a flu
    3. No one has actually died, only people on motorcycles 
    4. The vaccine doesn't work
    5. Herd immunity is the only way (even though the virus is fake)
    6. The vaccine is worse than the disease

then the only 'sane' conclusion is that it's gov't control.  However, when your starting point and assumptions are faulty and insane, your conclusion is bound to be insane too. 
    It's embarrassing 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    in what universe is this even remotely funny?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  
    so every single democracy has banded together and decided to control their populace forever by lying about what's needed to be done during a pandemic, yet the autocracies of the world have decided to do almost nothing and let their citizens remain "free"?

THIS is the conclusion you have reached?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Mate you are talking  to basically  a fundamentalist 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:

Deal with it.  

jfc - explain what?!

A -> B
    That is funny.  More like -

End lockdowns masking when you get the vaccine
    Get the vaccine
    Masking and restrictions increase
    Take a booster
    Take a pill (Imagine ivermectin or hydroxychlorquine with a bigger price tag)

How about Fauci saying the way out of this is not the vaccines...  Golly Gee, that would have been nice to know months ago, right?

https://www.csis.org/analysis/conversation-dr-anthony-fauci-antiviral-program-pandemics

Dr. Fauci: Well, thank you very much, Steve, for that introduction, which was really quite good, about where we stand with all of this.

But let me start by saying that this pandemic is 20 months old. And, in fact, medications have been a priority all along. But when you had to move very quickly, we really had to focus on the medications for the most people in dire need, and namely the hospitalized patients, people who were advanced in their disease. And we had to look at repurposed medications.

You mentioned quite correctly that monoclonal antibodies turned out to be an early success. But they have their vulnerabilities, particularly when you deal with the variants that we’ve had to face.

But the approach that we are taking right now is really what we call a two-tiered approach, two fundamental pillars. And the fundamental pillars address what you had alluded to in that the drugs that are already out there, the molnupiravir, the protease inhibitor, the Atea-Roche product, and even others that have not gotten as much visibility but are still somewhere along the early pipeline.

Dr. Fauci: Yes. I don’t know whether it’s going to be the home run that we got with HIV when we, in 1996 – the transforming year when we had the triple combination and we went from modest suppressant of virus to complete durable suppression of virus with HIV, which totally changed the landscape. But you know, I want some of the listeners if not all of them – because I know many of them already appreciated it – why it’s so important and a bit different than what we faced with HIV, Steve. And the reason is with HIV we’re talking about lifelong therapy for an individual to keep the virus suppressed to below detectable, to get the person to return to some form of normality. And we have been spectacularly successful.

We’re looking at a different type of a profile now. We’re looking at an orally administered maybe seven to 10 days, given to person who is early on in the course of their infection before you get to the cascade of events that lead to the aberrant activation, inflammatory response that kills people, because we know now from a lot of experience with the care of these individuals that if you can keep that virus from going to the upper airway, from going down into the lung and other organ systems, you can change what can be a devastating disease and make it an upper airway common cold type approach, which is really what we need to do. We only need to knock out that virus for about seven to 10 days, rather than lifelong, what we have to do with HIV.

Dr. Morrison: Thank you.

Now, tell us a bit about what you see as the ideal or optimal product profile. What does a product have to look like in order to be a winner in your view, when you take into consideration use, equity considerations, access? What are you telling people is the optimal profile?

Dr. Fauci: OK. The optimal profile – we’re comfortable with this, because we’ve developed product profiles for so many other drugs, including with HIV. So, first of all, I want a pill that blocks a specific viral function. I want to give it once a day if possible. I want it to be low in toxicity. And I want it to have very minimal drug-drug interactions. So orally administered, single pill, given for seven to 10 days, little drug-drug interaction, and low toxicity; give me that and I’ll be really happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkMhqswIc20&t=107s

This discussion has been closed.