Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,252
    No they  are not falling at all. Prof Spector says the  real time data is 60.000 a day
     Its not  doom and gloom its reality  and  fact.  Im seeing It with  my eyes not reading misinformation 
    Please read the second sentence in my post. If you read the article it in fact says that deaths are up over a very period of time, but cases are in fact down. I’m not trying to argue with you. It’s just worth posting a good fact once in a while instead of the end of times approaching.
  • Options
    Actually, forget it. It’s not worth my effort here.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,996
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:
    This is the cover of today’s post here in NY. This is typically a right leaning newspaper. 

Take what you will from it. Can anyone debunk them numbers? Are they right?

'typically a right leaning newspaper' is an understatement

The numbers are right.  It's the conclusion that is wrong.
    The conclusion is opinion….right or wrong. The numbers are facts. We’ve been told to follow the science, look at the numbers, look at the data…..when does it end? I just don’t get it. 

So what do you take from those numbers?  How do you follow the science?
    Do you get vaccinated?
    Only about 50% of the population of the US is vaccinated.  This is why there is still reason for very serious measures to be taken...
    Fully vaccinated here, entire family is. I only know a few that aren’t. It’s their call at this point. The science and numbers show vaccines work. We are a free society, you can’t have it both ways. Freedom to speak your mind, freedom to worship a god of your choice, freedom of the press and freedom to choose if you want to get vaccinated or not. The doom and gloom needs to stop. If you want to play with your life and choose not to that’s on you. We don’t need media constantly throwing despair in our face 24/7 any longer.
    However, the consequence of one's choice not to vaccinate is not limited to that individual.
    Some people want to drive drunk, but this fascist country with all it's rules & laws won't let them. 

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

This is a great parallel.  Imagine if you had to pass a breathalyzer test to start your car?  Every car, not just the person who is forced to after multiple DUIs. 
    #1, I think this is a good idea.
    #2, people would lose their fucking minds.  "What happened to our freedom?!"
    DUI's make county's/cities money.  Plus if you had to pay for said breathalizer in your car I think you should be pissed.
    Because DUIs are profitable? 30 people die each day in the US from alcohol-related car crashes. Money is not more important than saving lives.
    Please by all means look into it.  
    I'm well-versed, thanks. I am confused as to your position. Are you against this proposal because DUIs are profitable? 
    Putting a breathalizer in every car would cost me money.  I don't want to pay for that in every car.  Why?  I don't drink and drive.  Stay out of my pocket and don't force that on me.

That is my view.
    A small price to pay to ensure the safety of all.

*thread integrity: That is the same response I would give to anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers.

Wearing a mask is much different than having to pay for a box in my vehicle that doesn't need to be in there.

Edit: It's also government interfering where they shouldn't be.  For that I would say make all cars not exceed over 65mph too.  See how that goes over.

Public safety is not a concern for the government? Why then are air bags federally mandated? I don't purposely get into car wrecks. Government quit interfering!!!

Also, your argument is a slippery slope and fearmongering. Same how some fear their bibles and guns will be taken by the door-to-door vaccine effort.
    Govt is good for certain things, not everything.  If you want them to tell you how to live and breathe that's fine.  Not me.  Not sure how it's fearmongering?  

There is a certain point where you can think for yourself and not harm others without the govt telling you or making laws for it.

there's a reason for warning labels on preperation h not to ingest. as well as many other products you'd think were common sense but here we are...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,280
    mickeyrat said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:
    This is the cover of today’s post here in NY. This is typically a right leaning newspaper. 

The conclusion is opinion….right or wrong. The numbers are facts. We’ve been told to follow the science, look at the numbers, look at the data…..when does it end? I just don’t get it. 

So what do you take from those numbers?  How do you follow the science?
    Do you get vaccinated?
    Only about 50% of the population of the US is vaccinated.  This is why there is still reason for very serious measures to be taken...
    Fully vaccinated here, entire family is. I only know a few that aren’t. It’s their call at this point. The science and numbers show vaccines work. We are a free society, you can’t have it both ways. Freedom to speak your mind, freedom to worship a god of your choice, freedom of the press and freedom to choose if you want to get vaccinated or not. The doom and gloom needs to stop. If you want to play with your life and choose not to that’s on you. We don’t need media constantly throwing despair in our face 24/7 any longer.
    However, the consequence of one's choice not to vaccinate is not limited to that individual.
    Some people want to drive drunk, but this fascist country with all it's rules & laws won't let them. 

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

This is a great parallel.  Imagine if you had to pass a breathalyzer test to start your car?  Every car, not just the person who is forced to after multiple DUIs. 
    #1, I think this is a good idea.
    #2, people would lose their fucking minds.  "What happened to our freedom?!"
    DUI's make county's/cities money.  Plus if you had to pay for said breathalizer in your car I think you should be pissed.
    Because DUIs are profitable? 30 people die each day in the US from alcohol-related car crashes. Money is not more important than saving lives.
    Please by all means look into it.  
    I'm well-versed, thanks. I am confused as to your position. Are you against this proposal because DUIs are profitable? 
    Putting a breathalizer in every car would cost me money.  I don't want to pay for that in every car.  Why?  I don't drink and drive.  Stay out of my pocket and don't force that on me.

That is my view.
    A small price to pay to ensure the safety of all.

*thread integrity: That is the same response I would give to anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers.

Wearing a mask is much different than having to pay for a box in my vehicle that doesn't need to be in there.

Edit: It's also government interfering where they shouldn't be.  For that I would say make all cars not exceed over 65mph too.  See how that goes over.

Public safety is not a concern for the government? Why then are air bags federally mandated? I don't purposely get into car wrecks. Government quit interfering!!!

Also, your argument is a slippery slope and fearmongering. Same how some fear their bibles and guns will be taken by the door-to-door vaccine effort.
    Govt is good for certain things, not everything.  If you want them to tell you how to live and breathe that's fine.  Not me.  Not sure how it's fearmongering?  

There is a certain point where you can think for yourself and not harm others without the govt telling you or making laws for it.

there's a reason for warning labels on preperation h not to ingest. as well as many other products you'd think were common sense but here we are...
    Fucking sleazy lawyers representing sleazy people looking for a government handout for their stupidity while complaining about immigrants stealing their jobs and getting....wait for it...government handouts.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,150
    Actually, forget it. It’s not worth my effort here.
    Correct 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    CM189191 said:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2021/07/30/florida-leads-the-nation-in-covid-infections-hospitalizations/
    These numbers are brutal in Florida!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,150
    Lets see in   one month  from  now how  the  usa is doing. 
    I know  the  answer.  Just be careful  my friends  thats all i wish
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    I completely understand that the vaccine is not a bulletproof solution to getting rid of COVID but I am tired of the misinformation that we keep getting from all sides. They say that breakthrough cases are uncommon but I've never believed that and now we are starting to get the truth....

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,775
    I'm having a problem believing that headline. Whatever the truth is, I'm going to hold back on my judgment. That number just doesn't go along with all the other information we're getting. Color me highly skeptical on that one.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Kat said:
    I'm having a problem believing that headline. Whatever the truth is, I'm going to hold back on my judgment. That number just doesn't go along with all the other information we're getting. Color me highly skeptical on that one.

from the middle of the article.....

The CDC said the data has limitations. The agency noted that as population-level vaccination coverage increases, vaccinated persons are likely to represent a larger proportion of Covid cases. Additionally, asymptomatic breakthrough infections might be underrepresented because of detection bias, the agency said.

The CDC also said the report is “insufficient” to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of the authorized vaccines against Covid, including the delta variant, during this outbreak.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,276
    Kat said:

This is in reference to a specific outbreak stemming from July 4th week in Provincetown, not a state wide number or anything.
    Summer holiday weekends in P-Town are basically a huge bacchanal (and I'd be willing to bet since last year was a wash out they went extra hard and heavy this year feeling they were through the pandemic), there are lots of small cramped clubs, folks in very close quarters, drinking, dancing, sweating and then there's the post closing activities. Saw an interview on local news a couple weeks ago with a guy who contracted Covid July 4th week there, said he and his friends basically did a 6 consecutive day/night bender. So I think behavior had a lot to do with this outbreak.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Kat said:

Do you remember when Fauci said we didn't need to wear masks? The reality was that he knew that we should've been wearing masks but had to lie to the public to protect the mask supply. How many lives could've been saved had he been honest from the start?(that's a whole other point)

I've always believed that there have been more breakthrough cases than have been reported for the same reasoning. Many anti-vaxxers ask, "why should I get the vaccine if I'm still going to get sick?" If there are quite a few breakthrough cases, this could fuel their anti vaccine stance.

I know better and realize that the vaccine will help reduce how sick you could possibly get. I am hearing of quite a few vaccinated people getting sick. How many Democrats left Texas for Washington DC? How many of them caught COVID? That's just one instance of a group of quite a few vaccinated people that got sick.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Kat said:

This is in reference to a specific outbreak stemming from July 4th week in Provincetown, not a state wide number or anything.
    Summer holiday weekends in P-Town are basically a huge bacchanal (and I'd be willing to bet since last year was a wash out they went extra hard and heavy this year feeling they were through the pandemic), there are lots of small cramped clubs, folks in very close quarters, drinking, dancing, sweating and then there's the post closing activities. Saw an interview on local news a couple weeks ago with a guy who contracted Covid July 4th week there, said he and his friends basically did a 6 consecutive day/night bender. So I think behavior had a lot to do with this outbreak.
     Behavior doesn't have anything to do with the efficacy of the COVID vaccines.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    Poncier said:
    Kat said:

People fill the pool at Backwater Jacks on Lake of the Ozarks in Osage Beach Mo on July 24 2021

Even some conservatives and FOX gets it!

Missouri has seen an aggressive surge in Covid cases since early July, representing one of the largest outbreaks in the nation. Caseloads and hospitalizations returned to levels not seen since the thick of the pandemic last year. Over the last seven-day period, the state saw an average of 1,500 new Covid cases a day—the highest in six months—and an average of three deaths per day, according to the state’s health department.

In the past week, high-profile Republicans and conservatives have seemingly awakened to promoting the vaccine as cases explode. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, whose state saw a 400 percent increase in Covid hospitalizations in recent weeks declared, “it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.” And Fox news’ Sean Hannity told viewers “I believe in the science of vaccination.”

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

from this article....

The outbreak in Provincetown — a seaside tourist spot on Cape Cod in the county with Massachusetts’ highest vaccination rate — has so far included more than 900 cases. About three-quarters of them were people who were fully vaccinated.

Travis Dagenais, who was among the many vaccinated people infected, said “throwing caution to the wind” and partying in crowds for long nights over the July Fourth holiday was a mistake in hindsight.

“The dominant public messaging has been that the vaccine means a return to normal,” the 35-year-old Boston resident said Thursday. “Unfortunately, I’ve now learned it’s a few steps toward normal, not the zero-to-sixty that we seem to have undertaken.”

Dagenais credits being vaccinated with easing the worst of the flu-like symptoms in a couple of days. He has recovered.

Like many states, Massachusetts lifted all COVID-19 restrictions in late May, ahead of the traditional Memorial Day start of the summer season. Provincetown this week reinstated an indoor mask requirement for everyone.

• Options
    doubt very much it will sway any here but maybe the lurkers can be persuaded....

They Spurned the Vaccine. Now They Want You to Know They Regret It. https://nyti.ms/2V5uGGH

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,340
    https://twitter.com/heidinbc/status/1421251759972945923?s=21
    Not sure how or when this will all end..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,709
    JB16057 said:
    Kat said:

Do you remember when Fauci said we didn't need to wear masks? The reality was that he knew that we should've been wearing masks but had to lie to the public to protect the mask supply. How many lives could've been saved had he been honest from the start?(that's a whole other point)

I've always believed that there have been more breakthrough cases than have been reported for the same reasoning. Many anti-vaxxers ask, "why should I get the vaccine if I'm still going to get sick?" If there are quite a few breakthrough cases, this could fuel their anti vaccine stance.

I know better and realize that the vaccine will help reduce how sick you could possibly get. I am hearing of quite a few vaccinated people getting sick. How many Democrats left Texas for Washington DC? How many of them caught COVID? That's just one instance of a group of quite a few vaccinated people that got sick.
    10% of them got sick, and coincidentally the vaccine is 90% effective against the original strain. 

So to be sure I'm reading your assessment here on Fauci, you support wearing masks,  right?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    Kat said:

People fill the pool at Backwater Jacks on Lake of the Ozarks in Osage Beach Mo on July 24 2021

Missouri has seen an aggressive surge in Covid cases since early July, representing one of the largest outbreaks in the nation. Caseloads and hospitalizations returned to levels not seen since the thick of the pandemic last year. Over the last seven-day period, the state saw an average of 1,500 new Covid cases a day—the highest in six months—and an average of three deaths per day, according to the state’s health department.

In the past week, high-profile Republicans and conservatives have seemingly awakened to promoting the vaccine as cases explode. Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, whose state saw a 400 percent increase in Covid hospitalizations in recent weeks declared, “it’s time to start blaming the unvaccinated folks, not the regular folks. It’s the unvaccinated folks that are letting us down.” And Fox news’ Sean Hannity told viewers “I believe in the science of vaccination.”

Being conservative in itself does not equate to a terrible or ignorant person. FYI.
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,639
    Haven’t caught up on the thread but I still think the USA has relatively beaten COVID.  Cases are skyrocketing, but deaths are not.  The majority of the at risk population has gotten vaccinated.  The delta variant is contagious and dangerous for the unvaccinated.  However, the story for the last 7 months, and going forward, has been and will always remain the same.  

Choose to get vaccinated or choose to get sick.  There’s no other way around it.  

I am also expecting my booster shot this fall/winter 

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Haven’t caught up on the thread but I still think the USA has relatively beaten COVID.  Cases are skyrocketing, but deaths are not.  The majority of the at risk population has gotten vaccinated.  The delta variant is contagious and dangerous for the unvaccinated.  However, the story for the last 7 months, and going forward, has been and will always remain the same.  

Choose to get vaccinated or choose to get sick.  There’s no other way around it.  

Go away. Nobody wants your good news here.
  • Options

Incorrect. We respect Weston. He's pointing out the success of the vaccine in preventing severe illness and death.  However,  vax deniers or whatever you want to call them,  who refuse to get it for non medical reasons,  are still selfish assholes.   

As an example,  a girl that works for me tested positive and is sick now.  She was fully vaxed as was every member of her family except the 21 year old son.  He caught it,  brought it into the house. Now they are very worried about her immuno compromised husband.  Selfish. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Incorrect. We respect Weston. He's pointing out the success of the vaccine in preventing severe illness and death.  However,  vax deniers or whatever you want to call them,  who refuse to get it for non medical reasons,  are still selfish assholes.   

As an example,  a girl that works for me tested positive and is sick now.  She was fully vaxed as was every member of her family except the 21 year old son.  He caught it,  brought it into the house. Now they are very worried about her immuno compromised husband.  Selfish. 
    “Incorrect”……..but here is some more doom and gloom.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Sorry for your reality check.  This isn't a game or politics. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He posted something good…..you immediately posted something bad. Doom and gloom.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    Poncier said:
    Kat said:

Being conservative in itself does not equate to a terrible or ignorant person. FYI.

True.  Point taken.  I could have worded that better!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He posted something good…..you immediately posted something bad. Doom and gloom.
    Well when someone who has worked for you for 12 years is home with the virus and worried about her husband getting seriously ill,  the stats mean less.  1% mortality rate is nothing until a member of your family is in the 1%.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well when someone who has worked for you for 12 years is home with the virus and worried about her husband getting seriously ill,  the stats mean less.  1% mortality rate is nothing until a member of your family is in the 1%.  
    Fair enough. But let Weston enjoy his post. Don’t bring him down right away.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Weston is a big boy and a physician.  Pretty sure I'm not telling him something he doesn't know or an anecdote he hasn't heard.   If I offend him,  I'm sure he'll say something

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Weston is a big boy and a physician.  Pretty sure I'm not telling him something he doesn't know or an anecdote he hasn't heard.   If I offend him,  I'm sure he'll say something

My point all day has been…..enjoy the good, not elaborate on the bad. No one can seem to get that. I feel like some enjoy the lock  down, no social contact, no so outside communication….
This discussion has been closed.