Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    I have no problem putting a piece of cloth over my face if it’s in the interest of protecting the immune compromised or those who want but can’t get a vaccine, because it’s a minor inconvenience at best. 

My goodness, imagine if some of you came of age during WWII or Vietnam & got drafted? What we’re being asked to do for our country right now doesn’t even compare. 

Get some perspective in your lives. 
    If that happened today 1/2 the country would think it's a conspiracy.  The draft most likely will never happen again because of Vietnam though.
    Miss my point more. 
    I put it in perspective in todays way of thinking.  What point did I miss?

The point that the sacrifice modern day Americans are being asked to make for the well being of the country is nothing compared to that of past generations of Americans. 
    That type of sacrifice would make 1/2 the country think it's a conspiracy is what I was getting at, just look at the mask thing now.  We as a country could most likely never do what they did back then, I am in agreement with that.

What you were getting at is a pivot and ignores my point that Americans today are incapable of saying "hey, it's not like I'm being asked to go storm the beach of Normandy, all I'm being asked to do is put on a mask". 

That is the perspective I was getting at in my post that wasn't at all confusing, but congratulations on making it so. 

Well done. 
    I got that and looked at it another way, a pivot as you say.  My point was in having to give up that much would make 1/2 the country think it's a conspiracy not so much up to the task.

I agreed with you and viewed it another way I don't understand what is wrong with that?

If you think these responses have been in agreement w/ my initial comment, you should probably revisit your understanding of what it means to agree with someone. 

I have what else I meant to say in my head and it made absolute sense.  Reading this made me realize that I did not...

I have a lot going on in my brain and I make short sentences forgetting that I did not convey everything else.

My apologies.  I agree with you but had my addition to it
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:
    This is the cover of today’s post here in NY. This is typically a right leaning newspaper. 

Take what you will from it. Can anyone debunk them numbers? Are they right?

'typically a right leaning newspaper' is an understatement

The numbers are right.  It's the conclusion that is wrong.
    The conclusion is opinion….right or wrong. The numbers are facts. We’ve been told to follow the science, look at the numbers, look at the data…..when does it end? I just don’t get it. 

So what do you take from those numbers?  How do you follow the science?
    Do you get vaccinated?
    Only about 50% of the population of the US is vaccinated.  This is why there is still reason for very serious measures to be taken...
    Fully vaccinated here, entire family is. I only know a few that aren’t. It’s their call at this point. The science and numbers show vaccines work. We are a free society, you can’t have it both ways. Freedom to speak your mind, freedom to worship a god of your choice, freedom of the press and freedom to choose if you want to get vaccinated or not. The doom and gloom needs to stop. If you want to play with your life and choose not to that’s on you. We don’t need media constantly throwing despair in our face 24/7 any longer.
    However, the consequence of one's choice not to vaccinate is not limited to that individual.
    Some people want to drive drunk, but this fascist country with all it's rules & laws won't let them. 

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

This is a great parallel.  Imagine if you had to pass a breathalyzer test to start your car?  Every car, not just the person who is forced to after multiple DUIs. 
    #1, I think this is a good idea.
    #2, people would lose their fucking minds.  "What happened to our freedom?!"
    DUI's make county's/cities money.  Plus if you had to pay for said breathalizer in your car I think you should be pissed.
    Because DUIs are profitable? 30 people die each day in the US from alcohol-related car crashes. Money is not more important than saving lives.
    Please by all means look into it.  
    I'm well-versed, thanks. I am confused as to your position. Are you against this proposal because DUIs are profitable? 
    Putting a breathalizer in every car would cost me money.  I don't want to pay for that in every car.  Why?  I don't drink and drive.  Stay out of my pocket and don't force that on me.

That is my view.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:
    This is the cover of today’s post here in NY. This is typically a right leaning newspaper. 

The conclusion is opinion….right or wrong. The numbers are facts. We’ve been told to follow the science, look at the numbers, look at the data…..when does it end? I just don’t get it. 

Do you get vaccinated?
    Only about 50% of the population of the US is vaccinated.  This is why there is still reason for very serious measures to be taken...
    Fully vaccinated here, entire family is. I only know a few that aren’t. It’s their call at this point. The science and numbers show vaccines work. We are a free society, you can’t have it both ways. Freedom to speak your mind, freedom to worship a god of your choice, freedom of the press and freedom to choose if you want to get vaccinated or not. The doom and gloom needs to stop. If you want to play with your life and choose not to that’s on you. We don’t need media constantly throwing despair in our face 24/7 any longer.
    However, the consequence of one's choice not to vaccinate is not limited to that individual.
    Some people want to drive drunk, but this fascist country with all it's rules & laws won't let them. 

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

This is a great parallel.  Imagine if you had to pass a breathalyzer test to start your car?  Every car, not just the person who is forced to after multiple DUIs. 
    DUI's make county's/cities money.  Plus if you had to pay for said breathalizer in your car I think you should be pissed.
    Because DUIs are profitable? 30 people die each day in the US from alcohol-related car crashes. Money is not more important than saving lives.
    I'm well-versed, thanks. I am confused as to your position. Are you against this proposal because DUIs are profitable? 
    Putting a breathalizer in every car would cost me money.  I don't want to pay for that in every car.  Why?  I don't drink and drive.  Stay out of my pocket and don't force that on me.

That is my view.
    A small price to pay to ensure the safety of all.

*thread integrity: That is the same response I would give to anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

*thread integrity: That is the same response I would give to anti-maskers/anti-vaxxers.

Wearing a mask is much different than having to pay for a box in my vehicle that doesn't need to be in there.

Edit: It's also government interfering where they shouldn't be.  For that I would say make all cars not exceed over 65mph too.  See how that goes over.

Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.
    That's right... it's totally unnecessary.  Not only that.  and the device installed can be deactivated.  So essentially it would be pointless.  In Ontario semis are governed to 105 KMS...lol.  I see plenty of Ontario plated trucks on the 401 exceeding 105 quite easily.  Why?  Because the chip has been replaced. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    I have no problem putting a piece of cloth over my face if it’s in the interest of protecting the immune compromised or those who want but can’t get a vaccine, because it’s a minor inconvenience at best. 

My goodness, imagine if some of you came of age during WWII or Vietnam & got drafted? What we’re being asked to do for our country right now doesn’t even compare. 

Get some perspective in your lives. 
    If that happened today 1/2 the country would think it's a conspiracy.  The draft most likely will never happen again because of Vietnam though.
    Miss my point more. 
    I put it in perspective in todays way of thinking.  What point did I miss?

The point that the sacrifice modern day Americans are being asked to make for the well being of the country is nothing compared to that of past generations of Americans. 
    That type of sacrifice would make 1/2 the country think it's a conspiracy is what I was getting at, just look at the mask thing now.  We as a country could most likely never do what they did back then, I am in agreement with that.

What you were getting at is a pivot and ignores my point that Americans today are incapable of saying "hey, it's not like I'm being asked to go storm the beach of Normandy, all I'm being asked to do is put on a mask". 

That is the perspective I was getting at in my post that wasn't at all confusing, but congratulations on making it so. 

Well done. 
    I got that and looked at it another way, a pivot as you say.  My point was in having to give up that much would make 1/2 the country think it's a conspiracy not so much up to the task.

I agreed with you and viewed it another way I don't understand what is wrong with that?

If you think these responses have been in agreement w/ my initial comment, you should probably revisit your understanding of what it means to agree with someone. 

I have what else I meant to say in my head and it made absolute sense.  Reading this made me realize that I did not...

I have a lot going on in my brain and I make short sentences forgetting that I did not convey everything else.

My apologies.  I agree with you but had my addition to it

All good - I didn't think you were being facetious, or at least don't expect it out of you... I believe your posts are made in good faith... enjoy your weekend, my man. 
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

Wearing a mask is much different than having to pay for a box in my vehicle that doesn't need to be in there.

Edit: It's also government interfering where they shouldn't be.  For that I would say make all cars not exceed over 65mph too.  See how that goes over.

Public safety is not a concern for the government? Why then are air bags federally mandated? I don't purposely get into car wrecks. Government quit interfering!!!

Also, your argument is a slippery slope and fearmongering. Same how some fear their bibles and guns will be taken by the door-to-door vaccine effort.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Seat belt laws are dumb, as well.  It is my own body, who cares?

/s
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Then maybe they should make your car automatically buckle up for you...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Then maybe they should make your car automatically buckle up for you...

That was tried in the 80s.  Ford had auto seatbelts.  Considering they were gone quickly, I imagine they weren’t popular.  
  • Options

/s
    Fuck the cost of child safety seats while we're at it! I'm a safe driver. Guess I should have faith the other person is too.
  • Options
    You should take your cars in and get roll bars equipped and 3 point seatbelts installed...maybe get a helmet as well.  Can never be too safe

Maybe gets a sponsor as well.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

Public safety is not a concern for the government? Why then are air bags federally mandated? I don't purposely get into car wrecks. Government quit interfering!!!

Also, your argument is a slippery slope and fearmongering. Same how some fear their bibles and guns will be taken by the door-to-door vaccine effort.
    Govt is good for certain things, not everything.  If you want them to tell you how to live and breathe that's fine.  Not me.  Not sure how it's fearmongering?  

There is a certain point where you can think for yourself and not harm others without the govt telling you or making laws for it.

• Options
    Hobbes said:

/s
    Fuck the cost of child safety seats while we're at it! I'm a safe driver. Guess I should have faith the other person is too.
    Brittney Spears agrees with you.  Well 2008 Brittney.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,022
    #FREEBRITTNEY
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

Govt is good for certain things, not everything.  If you want them to tell you how to live and breathe that's fine.  Not me.  Not sure how it's fearmongering?  

There is a certain point where you can think for yourself and not harm others without the govt telling you or making laws for it.

The government does not dictate how I live my life. My choices are driven by my morals and values. They just so happen to align with the law. I don't need a law to tell me not to steal or drink and drive or wear a mask. I freely make those choices. Freedom requires responsibility. Some have demonstrated their lack of responsibility, thus the need for law.

Also, a slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy which promotes fearmongering.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

The government does not dictate how I live my life. My choices are driven by my morals and values. They just so happen to align with the law. I don't need a law to tell me not to steal or drink and drive or wear a mask. I freely make those choices. Freedom requires responsibility. Some have demonstrated their lack of responsibility, thus the need for law.

Also, a slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy which promotes fearmongering.
    When a car self drives I expect to not have to pay insurance premiums so I am all for it.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

When a car self drives I expect to not have to pay insurance premiums so I am all for it.
    Like the all-new Toyota Corona.

*Tryin' real hard to maintain thread integrity.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

We went on a tangent.  it's healthy to have conversations.

Toyota made a Corona years ago.  Not sure if you were being funny or not but they really did, lol!
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

"The government does not dictate how I live my life. My choices are driven by my morals and values. They just so happen to align with the law."

This is sarcasm, right?  It has to be a joke. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

We went on a tangent.  it's healthy to have conversations.

Toyota made a Corona years ago.  Not sure if you were being funny or not but they really did, lol!
    Ha! I forgot they made a Corona. I was doing a word play off of Corolla.

And, agreed. Conversations are healthy.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

"The government does not dictate how I live my life. My choices are driven by my morals and values. They just so happen to align with the law."

There was a time in my life where I thought I was funny. I'm not sure anymore. Please enlighten me.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

There was a time in my life where I thought I was funny. I'm not sure anymore. Please enlighten me.
    Well it’s a societal question.  If there wasn’t a law, would your parents have taught you not to steal anyway?  Impossible to answer.  Our laws reflect our values as a society and culture.  You’re a product of that.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    In the uk we now have the  highest number of 15-24 year old hospitalised that we have ever had from covid.  This shit is relentless  and  please take delta seriously. 1 in 65 people here currently  has covid. Thats Fuckin  mental.  Including  a large proportion  of  my partners  family all double vaxxed 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?

Don't tread on me!!!!!!!

That is my view.

Well it’s a societal question.  If there wasn’t a law, would your parents have taught you not to steal anyway?  Impossible to answer.  Our laws reflect our values as a society and culture.  You’re a product of that.
    Whether my values are a product of the law does not alter my original statement. Some cry foul at government overreach or interference, be it breathalyzers or mask mandates. I would be happy to pay for a breathalyzer in my car if it meant the safety of all. I do wear a mask for the safety of myself and others. The government isn't telling me I have to, I want to. Maybe I'm a sheep.
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    In the uk we now have the  highest number of 15-24 year old hospitalised that we have ever had from covid.  This shit is relentless  and  please take delta seriously. 1 in 65 people here currently  has covid. Thats Fuckin  mental.  Including  a large proportion  of  my partners  family all double vaxxed 
    For every doom and gloom story I’m going to try and find a positive one to counter…. No judging on the original post just want to spread some good news as well….

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/07/28/uk-covid-cases-are-falling-despite-the-easing-of-lockdowns-surprising-the-experts.html
  • Options
    No they  are not falling at all. Prof Spector says the  real time data is 60.000 a day
     Its not  doom and gloom its reality  and  fact.  Im seeing It with  my eyes not reading misinformation 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Testing here is much less due to schools no longer open and having twice weekly tests. So less testing  less official  cases. The zoe symptom app tracks real  time symptomatic  cases
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    No they  are not falling at all. Prof Spector says the  real time data is 60.000 a day
     Its not  doom and gloom its reality  and  fact.  Im seeing It with  my eyes not reading misinformation 
    The UK covid site says 7 day rolling positivity rate is 333.1 per 100,000 people (as of July 25th). Your stated rate of 1 in 65 people would be over 4.5x that figure. I agree that it's a very serious situation, but is there data that we're missing?

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
This discussion has been closed.