Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2021/07/28/st-louis-county-health-director-i-was-assaulted-called-brown-c-after-mask-plea

Unfuckingreal. 

I’m old enough to remember when our former President suggested other countries were the shit hole countries. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,264
    I'm not following you. I'm in San Diego, a county of over 3 million people. Local numbers had been excellent, now they are bad again, 90% of reported cases are among the unvaccinated. 70% of people age 12 and up are fully vaccinated, more than 80% are partially vaccinated. Positivity rate has gone from 1% to about 7%, hospitalizations and ICU admissions and community outbreaks are up.

So -- I didn't say anything about ventilators. Or Israel. So I'm confused.

80% efficacy is GREAT. But, since people who were at high-risk (and were thus first to be vaccinated) remain at high risk despite being vaccinated, those of us with immunocompromised people in our lives pay attention to things like reduced vaccine efficacy against variants. Our family member has resumed taking precautions as if they were unvaccinated; if you and yours are not high-risk, there's no need to lose sleep over 80% vs 90%.

And while I'm generally a cynical person, and the noise and constantly changing narrative is frustrating, I really don't believe that what is coming out of credible sources right now is spin to benefit any particular person/ party. And yes, I do consider the CDC to be a pretty credible source.

There has been discussion of the need for a booster shot basically since the first vaccines were announced. Is that a money grab? I don't know -- I don't consider the annual flu shot to be a money grab; I consider it a way to avoid being sick as a dog for a week or two. What I see are signs of an ongoing discussion behind the scenes about the need for boosters, who might need them and how often. I believe this virus will be endemic, so I personally see nothing sketchy in talk of boosters.

The virus still is new. And it is changing. As the science changes, policy changes, and it is incumbent on us to be able to adapt to those changes. Is there still a lot of noise? Yes. But you can reduce that by getting information from credible sources. I get mine from the CDC, The Atlantic, published research.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    https://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2021/07/28/st-louis-county-health-director-i-was-assaulted-called-brown-c-after-mask-plea

Unfuckingreal. 

I’m old enough to remember when our former President suggested other countries were the shit hole countries. 

Yeah, this is total bullshit. 
    The level of fucking stupidity in this country is out of control.

I can't believe they call him fat!

(sorry, needed to have a chuckle to stop myself from stomping on my laptop and checking the rules about citizenship in other countries.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,022
    Well looks like father in law 71  double pfizer  has covid.  Flu symptoms for 2 days so far.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    Well looks like father in law 71  double pfizer  has covid.  Flu symptoms for 2 days so far.
    Hoping it’s only mild and he stays out of hospital like vaccine claims.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    Alberta is taking its cues from Florida....people who test positive no longer have to self isolate. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    He has smoked since he was12 . True Italian  style. So we will see how well the vaccine works on smokers of many years. So far coping  at home. But early days
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    I'm not following you. I'm in San Diego, a county of over 3 million people. Local numbers had been excellent, now they are bad again, 90% of reported cases are among the unvaccinated. 70% of people age 12 and up are fully vaccinated, more than 80% are partially vaccinated. Positivity rate has gone from 1% to about 7%, hospitalizations and ICU admissions and community outbreaks are up.

80% efficacy is GREAT. But, since people who were at high-risk (and were thus first to be vaccinated) remain at high risk despite being vaccinated, those of us with immunocompromised people in our lives pay attention to things like reduced vaccine efficacy against variants. Our family member has resumed taking precautions as if they were unvaccinated; if you and yours are not high-risk, there's no need to lose sleep over 80% vs 90%.

And while I'm generally a cynical person, and the noise and constantly changing narrative is frustrating, I really don't believe that what is coming out of credible sources right now is spin to benefit any particular person/ party. And yes, I do consider the CDC to be a pretty credible source.

There has been discussion of the need for a booster shot basically since the first vaccines were announced. Is that a money grab? I don't know -- I don't consider the annual flu shot to be a money grab; I consider it a way to avoid being sick as a dog for a week or two. What I see are signs of an ongoing discussion behind the scenes about the need for boosters, who might need them and how often. I believe this virus will be endemic, so I personally see nothing sketchy in talk of boosters.

The virus still is new. And it is changing. As the science changes, policy changes, and it is incumbent on us to be able to adapt to those changes. Is there still a lot of noise? Yes. But you can reduce that by getting information from credible sources. I get mine from the CDC, The Atlantic, published research.
    If a booster is needed for the highest at risk then so be it, From what I’ve read recently it seems plausible. Especially since it will be built to fight the Delta variant which is clearly looking like the winner of the variant race. 70% fully vaccinated is not enough to prevent a pretty serious surge, especially when you consider those unvaccinated are often in concentrated areas or flat out oblivious to the whole thing. My frustration from the CDC is how they manipulate or just sit on it data. They’ve been using data out India lately to make ridiculous projections. India, a country using an entirely different vaccine and with a demographic nothing like the US. Not to mention the CDC sat on data which proved outdoor infection was basically null for two months. Oh and they have still yet to publish pediatric numbers, which I can only assume is because kids just aren’t getting sick but when can we actually come to this conclusion? It’s a joke and a lot of Americans have lost trust in them and most local health agencies as well. There is so much misinformation flying around out their from completely illegitimate sources right now and I’m not talking about the CDC. I’m talking about right wing sources who twist the CDC’s confusing guidance and use it against them to spread misinformation about vaccines, etc. The CDC and WHO have made so many blunders at this point I’m surprised things aren’t worse, at least we got 60% of the country vaccinated.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options

If a booster is needed for the highest at risk then so be it, From what I’ve read recently it seems plausible. Especially since it will be built to fight the Delta variant which is clearly looking like the winner of the variant race. 70% fully vaccinated is not enough to prevent a pretty serious surge, especially when you consider those unvaccinated are often in concentrated areas or flat out oblivious to the whole thing. My frustration from the CDC is how they manipulate or just sit on it data. They’ve been using data out India lately to make ridiculous projections. India, a country using an entirely different vaccine and with a demographic nothing like the US. Not to mention the CDC sat on data which proved outdoor infection was basically null for two months. Oh and they have still yet to publish pediatric numbers, which I can only assume is because kids just aren’t getting sick but when can we actually come to this conclusion? It’s a joke and a lot of Americans have lost trust in them and most local health agencies as well. There is so much misinformation flying around out their from completely illegitimate sources right now and I’m not talking about the CDC. I’m talking about right wing sources who twist the CDC’s confusing guidance and use it against them to spread misinformation about vaccines, etc. The CDC and WHO have made so many blunders at this point I’m surprised things aren’t worse, at least we got 60% of the country vaccinated.
    being a once in a lifetime global pandemic, I'm going to give these agencies some leeway. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,678
    Alberta is taking its cues from Florida....people who test positive no longer have to self isolate. 
    Ford has been a waste of space in Ontario and Kenney seems just as useless over there in the west. It's scary how close we're getting to the movie Idocrasy becoming fact and not fiction. 

The weird thing about leadership I'm seeing is a complete lack of a backbone and brain just for the purpose of votes. If enough people in a jurisdiction thought that jumping off a bridge would be good thing, the leader would blindly endorse it and encourage it instead of saying "Look... for whatever reason, you think jumping off that bridge is good... but I'm here to tell you... it's not and please don't."  
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    Ford has been a waste of space in Ontario and Kenney seems just as useless over there in the west. It's scary how close we're getting to the movie Idocrasy becoming fact and not fiction. 

The weird thing about leadership I'm seeing is a complete lack of a backbone and brain just for the purpose of votes. If enough people in a jurisdiction thought that jumping off a bridge would be good thing, the leader would blindly endorse it and encourage it instead of saying "Look... for whatever reason, you think jumping off that bridge is good... but I'm here to tell you... it's not and please don't."  
    100%.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I would say from what im seeing in real life. Double vax  wont stop you getting  the worst ill you may have felt.  Ok you may not die but please  take delta seriously.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    We're basically going to stop testing too. If you get sick you're either going to have to go to a doctor to get a test or emergency. I'm sure clinics are thrilled to have sick people coming to them for testing.
  • Options
    He has smoked since he was12 . True Italian  style. So we will see how well the vaccine works on smokers of many years. So far coping  at home. But early days
    Well I totally get the Italian thing….my father in law started at that age as well!  
  • Options

being a once in a lifetime global pandemic, I'm going to give these agencies some leeway. 
    I agree with you….cut them and the whole process a break for gods sake.  Doctors, nurses, scientists, have been busting their asses for a year and a 1/2….they deserve to be respected and I don’t agree at all that “so many blunders” have been made.  I think they’ve all done a great job with something they’ve never dealt with. Be thankful and respectful please. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    We're basically going to stop testing too. If you get sick you're either going to have to go to a doctor to get a test or emergency. I'm sure clinics are thrilled to have sick people coming to them for testing.
    yeah I read the health minister say alberta is basically going to start treating covid like the fucking flu. FFS
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    tish said:
    We're back to mandatory masks in my pocket of BC. High cases of unvaccinated 20s, 30s. 

I started sporting them last 2 trips in mall. Was fun while it lasted!
    Yep even though I’m vaccinated I’m going into all indoor places sporting a mask, it did feel really good to feel like it was back to normal! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312

I agree with you….cut them and the whole process a break for gods sake.  Doctors, nurses, scientists, have been busting their asses for a year and a 1/2….they deserve to be respected and I don’t agree at all that “so many blunders” have been made.  I think they’ve all done a great job with something they’ve never dealt with. Be thankful and respectful please. 
    Agree! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
     https://news.yahoo.com/sellout-anti-vax-conservatives-come-141806429.html

The GOP governor is urging people to get vaccinated as Florida’s Covid infections spike. But some in DeSantis’ base are openly questioning him.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    tish said:
    We're back to mandatory masks in my pocket of BC. High cases of unvaccinated 20s, 30s. 

I started sporting them last 2 trips in mall. Was fun while it lasted!
    Yep even though I’m vaccinated I’m going into all indoor places sporting a mask, it did feel really good to feel like it was back to normal! 
    That is going to be us too with masks. Our county has a 31% fully vaccinated rate. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday and she said that there are more and more positive tests and a few hospitalizations. Her opinion was that the next month or so is going to be a wake up call for people in my area that have dismissed the virus. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    This is the cover of today’s post here in NY. This is typically a right leaning newspaper. 

Take what you will from it. Can anyone debunk them numbers? Are they right?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    This is the cover of today’s post here in NY. This is typically a right leaning newspaper. 

'typically a right leaning newspaper' is an understatement

The numbers are right.  It's the conclusion that is wrong.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,520
    CM189191 said:

The conclusion should be "get the vaccine", but instead it is that our freedoms are being taken away again. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    edited July 2021
    'newspaper' is a stretch.  rag/tabloid is more appropriate.
    As others stated, the obvious response is that the number represented there is only about half of the people in America - get the vaccine!
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    CM189191 said:

The conclusion is opinion….right or wrong. The numbers are facts. We’ve been told to follow the science, look at the numbers, look at the data…..when does it end? I just don’t get it. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    CM189191 said:

The conclusion is opinion….right or wrong. The numbers are facts. We’ve been told to follow the science, look at the numbers, look at the data…..when does it end? I just don’t get it. 
    How We'll Know When The COVID-19 Crisis Is Over
    https://www.npr.org/2021/07/10/1014374383/covid-19-coronavirus-pandemic-when-its-over
    The question of when the crisis will be over is a layered one — with different answers from local, national and global perspectives.

At this point - who knows?  All those people who said 'it's just the flu' were kinda right.

We were unable to stop CV19 because people refused to take basic measures protect themselves, their friends, their families, or their neighbors.

Now, we'll be stuck with evolving variants reoccurring every year.  I suspect there will be an annual flu shot, and CV19 shot for years to come.

One good thing that came out of this, was our ability to safely & quickly develop mRNA vaccines.  If only we could convince people to get them.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

So what do you take from those numbers?  How do you follow the science?
    Do you get vaccinated?
    Only about 50% of the population of the US is vaccinated.  This is why there is still reason for very serious measures to be taken...
  • Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,244
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?
    Only about 50% of the population of the US is vaccinated.  This is why there is still reason for very serious measures to be taken...
    Fully vaccinated here, entire family is. I only know a few that aren’t. It’s their call at this point. The science and numbers show vaccines work. We are a free society, you can’t have it both ways. Freedom to speak your mind, freedom to worship a god of your choice, freedom of the press and freedom to choose if you want to get vaccinated or not. The doom and gloom needs to stop. If you want to play with your life and choose not to that’s on you. We don’t need media constantly throwing despair in our face 24/7 any longer.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    CM189191 said:

The conclusion should be "get the vaccine", but instead it is that our freedoms are being taken away again. 
    It's not saying that just looking at the cover.  It asks why vaccinated people have to wear them again.

I asked about the numbers though to make sure they were actually correct as more of you are into it very deeply.

Thank you for the responses.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

Do you get vaccinated?
    Fully vaccinated here, entire family is. I only know a few that aren’t. It’s their call at this point. The science and numbers show vaccines work. We are a free society, you can’t have it both ways. Freedom to speak your mind, freedom to worship a god of your choice, freedom of the press and freedom to choose if you want to get vaccinated or not. The doom and gloom needs to stop. If you want to play with your life and choose not to that’s on you. We don’t need media constantly throwing despair in our face 24/7 any longer.

I am glad all of your family is beyond the age of 12.  Not all of us can say that.  I believe there are close to 50 million people in the US who are under the age of 12 and not eligible to receive the vaccine.

This discussion has been closed.