Options

Viruses / Vaccines

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,829
    mcgruff10 said:
    booster yesterday.  Around 11am side effects started creeping in.  Slight headache, achy and really tired.  Two Tylenol seemed to do the trick.
    No worries,  that's just your DNA being modified 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Being reprogrammed to be an Eagles fan… 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    To give you an idea of how infectious this variant is just take a look at the Calgary Flames. All at least double vaxxed.

"The Flames last played on Saturday versus the Boston Bruins at the Saddledome. Of the 38 players who suited up that night, 21 are now in COVID protocol"

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-confirm-omicron-cases-1.1735701

• Options
    edited December 2021
    dignin said:
    To give you an idea of how infectious this variant is just take a look at the Calgary Flames. All at least double vaxxed.

"The Flames last played on Saturday versus the Boston Bruins at the Saddledome. Of the 38 players who suited up that night, 21 are now in COVID protocol"

Look at the Browns as well.   18 and growing have tested positive.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Look at the Browns as well.   18 and growing have tested positive.
    Crazy. I was really hoping we were on the tail end of this.

Fingers crossed it's more mild, but I've learned not to get my hopes up too much with this virus.
  • Options
    More bad news.

Omicron ‘markedly resistant’ to COVID vaccines, booster shots: Columbia University study

“We found (omicron) to be markedly resistant to neutralization in individuals vaccinated with one of the four widely used COVID-19 vaccines, " said the study. “Even serum from persons vaccinated and boosted with mRNA-based vaccines exhibited substantially diminished neutralizing activity against (omicron),” it added.

The study is still in the so-called “pre-print” stage, meaning it has not been reviewed by other experts or edited by any scientific journal. It was released Wednesday by the Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, which is now focused on fighting COVID-19.

The study says existing antibody therapies, like the monoclonal antibody cocktails that are credited with saving many lives during current and previous COVID-19 waves, appear to be mostly ineffective against omicron.

It also noted that natural antibodies from previous infections are not effective in warding off omicron, meaning people who have had COVID-19 in the past are virtually unprotected from reinfection in the coming omicron wave.

https://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2021/12/omicron-markedly-resistant-to-covid-vaccines-booster-shots-columbia-university-study.html
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    ^ Well, if accurate, in layman's terms, we're royally screwed and we're all going to find out real soon what this thing is about.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement for those that have been vaccine and/or booster hesitant either.  And that's coming from someone that is fully vaccinated.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well that's depressing
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,108
    The study hasn't been peer viewed. basically useless at this point. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I wouldn't call a leading researchers work at a top University useless, but by all means ignore it.

It should help us to act accordingly.

It's the old saying, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Well, if accurate, in layman's terms, we're royally screwed and we're all going to find out real soon what this thing is about.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement for those that have been vaccine and/or booster hesitant either.  And that's coming from someone that is fully vaccinated.
    Things change. We've been warned about this possibility for over a year. It does not diminish the great work and the lives saved by the initial vaccine.

We still don't know if this variant is more mild than delta. There is still some hope.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,382
    dignin said:
    I wouldn't call a leading researchers work at a top University useless, but by all means ignore it.

in addition it comports with other reported studies elsewhere in S Africa and UK etc...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

in addition it comports with other reported studies elsewhere in S Africa and UK etc...
    Yup. And all the anecdotal evidence were seeing with some of these high profile outbreaks on sports teams, not to mention what were hearing from most experts in the field.

All evidence is pointing one way.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,933
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    Things change. We've been warned about this possibility for over a year. It does not diminish the great work and the lives saved by the initial vaccine.

We still don't know if this variant is more mild than delta. There is still some hope.
    Agreed.  I'm talking about going forward.  For someone that waited on the vaccine or the booster, and may have been considering it with the new "wave" upon us, this is not going to tip the scales favorably.  The experts are saying the vaccines (as they are today) are useless against Omicron, so there is no incentive for vaccine hesitant folks to run out and get it.
    If drugs don't work, vaccines don't work and natural antibodies don't work, we better hope it is more mild.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

Agreed.  I'm talking about going forward.  For someone that waited on the vaccine or the booster, and may have been considering it with the new "wave" upon us, this is not going to tip the scales favorably.  The experts are saying the vaccines (as they are today) are useless against Omicron, so there is no incentive for vaccine hesitant folks to run out and get it.
    If drugs don't work, vaccines don't work and natural antibodies don't work, we better hope it is more mild.

Ah, I see.

The whole thing sucks. 

I hope the experts are wrong, but I'm not betting on it.

Our family is hoping to squeeze Christmas in before shit hits the fan. Good luck everyone and try to stay safe.
  • Options
    so ohio is providing for free at home testing kits. Today I picked up 4 at the nearest library. look to get some more soon.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,967
    edited December 2021
    Thanks Dignin, best wishes for you and your family.

Politics? Or he knows something we don't?
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    tish said:

Politics? Is he trying to earn votes?

I'd say he's trying to encourage people to get vaccinated.  Seems straightforward. 
  • Options
    tish said:

from before he was elected to now, he has implored our citizens to take this seriously. to trust the science. provided monies for home testing, encouraged vaccinations from the start. has empathy for others.

as POTUS he knows a shit ton that we dont. about many things. 

how does this help politically?

• Options

CDC recommends Pfizer, Moderna COVID-19 shots over J&J's
    By LAURAN NEERGAARD and MIKE STOBBE
    Today

Most Americans should be given the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines instead of the Johnson & Johnson shot that can cause rare but serious blood clots, U.S. health officials said Thursday.

The strange clotting problem has caused nine confirmed deaths after J&J vaccinations — while the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines don't come with that risk and also appear more effective, said advisers to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The panel recommended the unusual move of giving preference to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, and late Thursday the CDC's director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, accepted the panel's advice.

Until now the U.S. has treated all three COVID-19 vaccines available to Americans as an equal choice, since large studies found they all offered strong protection and early supplies were limited. J&J's vaccine initially was welcomed as a single-dose option that could be especially important for hard-to-reach groups like homeless people who might not get the needed second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna options.

But the CDC's advisers said during a meeting Thursday that it was time to recognize a lot has changed since vaccines began rolling out a year ago. More than 200 million Americans are considered fully vaccinated, including about 16 million who got the J&J shot.

New data from unprecedented safety tracking of all those vaccinations persuaded the panel that while the blood clots linked to J&J's vaccine remain very rare, they're still occurring and not just in younger women as originally thought.

In a unanimous vote, the advisers decided the safer Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are preferred. But they said the shot made by J&J's Janssen division still should be available if someone really wants it — or has a severe allergy to the other options.

“I would not recommend the Janssen vaccine to my family members” but some patients may -- and should be able to -- choose that shot, said CDC adviser Dr. Beth Bell of the University of Washington.

The clotting problems first came up last spring, with the J&J shot in the U.S. and with a similar vaccine made by AstraZeneca that is used in other countries. Eventually U.S. regulators decided the benefits of J&J's one-and-done vaccine outweighed what was considered a very rare risk — as long as recipients were warned.

European regulators likewise continued to recommend AstraZeneca's two-dose vaccine although, because early reports were mostly in younger women, some countries issued age restrictions.

COVID-19 causes deadly blood clots, too. But the vaccine-linked kind is different, believed to form because of a rogue immune reaction to the J&J and AstraZeneca vaccines because of how they're made. It forms in unusual places, such as veins that drain blood from the brain, and in patients who also develop abnormally low levels of the platelets that form clots. Symptoms of the unusual clots, dubbed “thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome,” include severe headaches a week or two after the J&J vaccination — not right away — as well as abdominal pain and nausea.

While it’s still very rare, the Food and Drug Administration told health care providers this week that more cases have occurred after J&J vaccinations since the spring. They occur most in women ages 30 to 49 -- about once for every 100,000 doses administered, the FDA said.

Overall, the government has confirmed 54 clot cases— 37 in women and 17 in men, and nine deaths that included two men, the CDC's Dr. Isaac See said Thursday. He said two additional deaths are suspected.

The CDC decides how vaccines should be used in the U.S., and its advisers called the continuing deaths troubling. In comparing the pros and cons of all the vaccines, the panelists agreed that side effects from the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines weren't as serious — and that supplies now are plentiful.

Nor is J&J still considered a one-and-done vaccine, several advisers noted. The single-dose option didn't prove quite as protective as two doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. Plus, with extra-contagious virus mutants now spreading, booster doses now are recommended.

For J&J recipients, a booster is recommended at least two months after vaccination. U.S. health officials had previously OK’d mixing vaccines for booster shots.

Several countries, including Canada, already have policies that give preference to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. But J&J told the committee its vaccine still offers strong protection and is a critical option especially in parts of the world without plentiful vaccine supplies or for people who don't want a two-dose shot.

While blood clots are rare, “unfortunately cases of COVID-19 are not,” J&J’s Dr. Penny Heaton said.

The U.S. is fortunate in its vaccine availability and Thursday's action shouldn't discourage use of J&J's vaccine in places around the world where it's needed, said CDC adviser Dr. Matthew Daley of Kaiser Permanente Colorado.

The FDA also warned this week that another dose of the J&J vaccine shouldn't be given to anyone who developed a clot following either a J&J or AstraZeneca shot.

The committee also heard some of the first data on reported side effects of Pfizer vaccinations in younger children. Early last month, the CDC recommended a two-dose series for that age group, and more than 7 million doses have been given so far. But few problems have been reported. Of the 80 reported cases of serious side effects, about 10 involved a form of inflammation that has been seen in male teens and young adults.

___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,967
    mickeyrat said:
    tish said:

from before he was elected to now, he has implored our citizens to take this seriously. to trust the science. provided monies for home testing, encouraged vaccinations from the start. has empathy for others.

as POTUS he knows a shit ton that we dont. about many things. 

how does this help politically?

I just wonder about the severity that he's stating. Is it severe for the unvaxxed or is this a Vax push?
  • Options
     both I think. delta IS still the dominate strain at present with cases rising here and into the near future I assume but once omicron takes a big hold the calculus could change for all of it. we will know more about that one in severity  compared to delta and the pharma companies can adjust more rapidly the mrna vaxxes than the makers of the traditional ones.

• Options
    So far in the  young  at least. Mine are 20 and 23 and both double vaccinated.  20 year old pfizer and 23 AZ .  Looks to be a mild illness after 5 days so far 
     Just to report
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    So far in the  young  at least. Mine are 20 and 23 and both double vaccinated.  20 year old pfizer and 23 AZ .  Looks to be a mild illness after 5 days so far 
     Just to report
    great to hear... hope that holds for the rest of your folks too.

• Options
    Thank you 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,042
    Oh hell no!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,108
    dignin said:

I'm not ignoring....just waiting until we have peer viewed data before I sound the alarm. Yeah, this is super concerning, but like I said, the alarms have sounded before prior to peer viewed data easing the fears. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.